The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maidana vs Thurman

+12
owen10ozzy
Rodney
TopHat24/7
TRUSSMAN66
Soldier_Of_Fortune
quentins_monkey
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
AlexHuckerby
John Bloody Wayne
Herman Jaeger
spencerclarke
hampo17
16 posters

Go down

Maidana vs Thurman Empty Maidana vs Thurman

Post by hampo17 Wed 21 May 2014, 10:47 pm

Boxrec are showing this fight happening in September, who wins and how then?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Maidana vs Thurman Empty Re: Maidana vs Thurman

Post by spencerclarke Wed 21 May 2014, 11:06 pm

Going to go Thurman late ko.

Are you not at the leeds card mate?

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 21 May 2014, 11:09 pm

Nah, I wouldn't get back until the early hours and I'm up at 6 for work.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed 21 May 2014, 11:16 pm

It's not been too bad. I saw mid way in mcdonnell fight. Smith and then the warrington v lindsey one. Mcdonnell fight was the highlight for me. Missed first four rounds but after that it ebbed and flow. Should be a rematch.

bit of bad blood between Curtis woodhouse and tommy coyle building on twitter too.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 21 May 2014, 11:40 pm

Thurman wins that one.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 22 May 2014, 12:07 am

If Thurman's the favourite, Maidana will win.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 22 May 2014, 12:21 am

Fancy Thurman, too smart and has serious power and it looks as though Maidana can be hurt, think he'll bite of more than he can chew with Thurman.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 22 May 2014, 10:54 am

Thurman to win this (and look good in doing so) and then Mayweather to run for the hills at the thought of a young, dangerous opponent being put in front of him!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 22 May 2014, 11:08 am

Got a horrible feeling Floyd won't touch Thurman. Keith will be his most dangerous opponent since Pacquaio. See what I'm saying. Keith is a very clean hitter. Floyd couldn't afford any slip ups in that fight.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by quentins_monkey Thu 22 May 2014, 11:09 am

I thought Maidana was supposed to be fighting Mayweather again? If Maidana ends up fighting Thurman (which i think would be a helluva scrap but would probably also go for Thurman late on) then who is likely to be fighting Mayweather in September?

quentins_monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 22 May 2014, 11:16 am

Herman Jaggery wrote:Got a horrible feeling Floyd won't touch Thurman. Keith will be his most dangerous opponent since Pacquaio. See what I'm saying. Keith is a very clean hitter. Floyd couldn't afford any slip ups in that fight.

Both myself and Damien are in agreement that Thurman beats Mayweather now. He has quick hands, probably as quick as Khan, hits hard and can take a punch.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 22 May 2014, 11:28 am

hampo171 wrote:
Herman Jaggery wrote:Got a horrible feeling Floyd won't touch Thurman. Keith will be his most dangerous opponent since Pacquaio. See what I'm saying. Keith is a very clean hitter. Floyd couldn't afford any slip ups in that fight.

Both myself and Damien are in agreement that Thurman beats Mayweather now. He has quick hands, probably as quick as Khan, hits hard and can take a punch.

Very bold that Hampo. I would like to see Thurman in a fight he's not just expected to win first. Maidana fits the bill perfectly. Couldn't call the winner at the moment.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 22 May 2014, 11:31 am

I think Khan beats Mayweather If and when they fight........Mainly because Mayweather isn't stopping anybody these days and Khan has fast hands a good jab and a height and reach advantage...I'm not sure Mayweather can outpoint Khan...

Not too sure about Thurman yet but as Maidana is an overachiever I'll lean towards him on this one..

Be a good match though..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 22 May 2014, 11:38 am

Khan's got a 1" reach disadvantage actually, and is only 1/2" taller.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 22 May 2014, 11:41 am

He's more stand up though which may help logistically.......But I take the correction........

Still think his speed and jab and the fact Floyd doesn't stop anybody could be decisive..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 22 May 2014, 11:51 am

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
hampo171 wrote:

Very bold that Hampo. I would like to see Thurman in a fight he's not just expected to win first. Maidana fits the bill perfectly. Couldn't call the winner at the moment.

Yeah I think Chris nearly passed out when we said it on the podcast a few weeks ago.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 22 May 2014, 11:58 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He's more stand up though which may help logistically.......But I take the correction........

Still think his speed and jab and the fact Floyd doesn't stop anybody could be decisive..

Any idea who Khan has next? Be interesting seeing him in with a decent WW again, certainly looked good against Collazo but that's not saying a huge amount.

Wouldn't mind seeing him in with JMM in fact...

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 22 May 2014, 12:21 pm

Interesting if true thought Maidana was a shoo-in for the Mayweather return. I'd favour Thurman like most of the lads, crisp hitter but be interested to see his reaction if roughed up, Thurman inside 8 with a body shot.

I'd imagine if any element of truth in this, we're likely to see Mayweather v Garcia as the main event.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 22 May 2014, 12:31 pm

Great fight this one if it comes off...given it's on 13th looks set to be the undercard to any Mayweather fight;

Winner goes on to face Mayweather would be the selling point i'd imagine...however who does Mayweather fight.

Garcia had a poor showing last time out so perhaps Mayweather fancies that one now; not sure he will want to take on a pressure fighter again/rough house fighter after the Maidana fight.

Does Garcia sell well enough though, given that the last PPV did below 1 million (first time for Mayweather since 2007 apparently) you'd have to think Showtime will be pushing for a big name...

Khan is out of the picture...Alvarez is tied up with Lara...Cotto tied up with Martinez...

Leaves:

Garcia, Porter, Marquez, Broner as realistic fights....as I said don't think Garcia sells well enough (but possible if good undercard is put together) ..neither does Porter..so maybe Marquez again (fight I don't want to see and is pointless plus seems he will be in with Pacman anyway) or Broner (which Mayweather would have very easy nights work with)

Can't help but feel massively underwhelmed with the options to be honest.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 22 May 2014, 12:39 pm

If he chooses Garcia (which I think he will) if Maidana fight is out with the washing. It will be another opponent who hasnt tested the 147lb waters & wont be met with much enthuiasm, Garcia is a counter puncher absolutely tailor made for Mayweather. Out of the options above from Owen I'd say Porter is the one I'd like to see next, don't particularly rate him but he looks massive for the weigh and strong as an ox, so might be able to push Floyd about in spells.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 22 May 2014, 12:43 pm

Like to see Mayweather fight Garcia.........Just so Garcia can get a big payday.......

He's had a cracking time.........Khan and Matthyse are two top wins.....

Can't see Floyd ever fighting clone -Broner, Lara brings nothing to the table, Marquez is past it and he was hammered last time, Manny is dodgy in a lot of eyes .........

Porter, Thurman and Khan are likely suspects down the line.....Cotto If he beats sergio..

Garcia for me next..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 22 May 2014, 12:51 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Like to see Mayweather fight Garcia.........Just so Garcia can get a big payday.......

Can't see Floyd ever fighting clone -Broner, Lara brings nothing to the table, Marquez is past it and he was hammered last time, Manny is dodgy in a lot of eyes .........

Porter, Thurman and Khan are likely suspects down the line.....Cotto If he beats sergio..

Garcia for me next..

Even if he does a number on Alvarez ?

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 22 May 2014, 12:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Like to see Mayweather fight Garcia.........Just so Garcia can get a big payday.......

Garcia for me next..

In other words he's too much of a risk.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 22 May 2014, 1:00 pm

He probably is but he still brings nothing to the table..

Unfortunately Cuban fighters don't sell........

It's not exactly a popular Country back home........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 22 May 2014, 1:07 pm

Being fair its a Mayweather, he doesn't need to bring much to the table for the fight to sell anyway. Apart from the fact its a dangerous fight and Mayweather could get beat. Am sure that would wash with the masses

Last edited by Soldier_Of_Fortune on Thu 22 May 2014, 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 22 May 2014, 1:08 pm

Nonsense boxing fans can see he brings something to the table, what exactly did Guerrero, Maidana bring to the table ?

Fans buy a Mayweather PPV not to be entertained but a) to see him lose or b) its a heritage fighter. Lara would have a chance to spring an upset.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 22 May 2014, 1:10 pm

Alvarez was a dangerous fight.....The number 1 at 154 !!.........and Is for Lara too........

I know some deluded types think Mayweather has beaten stiffs for 17 years but the record does show some fine victories..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 22 May 2014, 1:11 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Alvarez was a dangerous fight.....The number 1 at 154 !!.........and Is for Lara too........

I know some deluded types think Mayweather has beaten stiffs for 17 years but the record does show some fine victories..

Couldn't have been that dangerous if Mayweather agreed to fight.

Some fine victories which paper over quite a few legit ducks.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 22 May 2014, 1:12 pm

Pity he didnt fight him at 154 then.

Cheers Rodders

Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 22 May 2014, 1:13 pm

Pity we haven't got Galento and Paychek types for him to fight or.......maybe a...

Schmelling - Who'd been slapped off sharkey
Sharkey - Who'd been slapped off Carnera..
Carnera - Who'd been slapped off Baer and decked 11 times..
Baer - who'd lost to Braddock
Walcott - Who'd lost to everybody......

and they are Louis best wins........... Rolling Eyes ......The Walcott robbery aside..

Good old Rod moaning about Floyd's opposition..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 22 May 2014, 1:16 pm

How many no 1 challengers to the throne did Louis duck ? Anyway what you're getting your knickers in a twist for, I'm merely pointing out if Lara were to beat Alvarez surely (bar Pacman) fans would like to see Mayweather face him next.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 22 May 2014, 1:18 pm

Floyd has hand picked his opponants for a good while now. Doesn't do manditorys or dangerous fights.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 22 May 2014, 1:25 pm

Garcia is probably the easiest fight out there for Mayweather that is plausible. Im surprised they havent pumped for a Maidana rematch though. It would do better numbers the second time. Maybe it gave Mayweather too big a fright. As TRUSSMAN would say, he deserves an easy fight after that one. I dont think his matchmaking will be ambitious.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 22 May 2014, 1:32 pm

Don't mind anybody bashing modern fighters for their opposition..

Just wish some remembered the old days weren't fault-less.........

Fitzsimmons avoiding competition for two and a half years as Heavyweight champion so he could milk the Heavy title........Robbo avoiding Turpin 3 like the plague.....Dempsey avoiding any fighter that was top class and black...

Get my drift.............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 22 May 2014, 2:20 pm

Couple good fights id like to see this year:

GGG vs Cotto/Martinez
JMM vs Khan (that would be great)

as to this proposed fight, id probably pick Marcos at this stage. Yes he can be hurt, but Thurman has never been in the ring with anyone as experienced or as tough Imo. Therefore id expect another "Broner" performance from him. Puts KT down a couple of times en route to a UD or something similar. Think he simply out works him.

However, lime many have already pointed out, Marcos can indeed be hurt (as seen against Kham, Ortiz and Lopez)....therefore one punch can change a fight....can it be "One Time" Keith?? If so, welcome to the big league.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 22 May 2014, 2:22 pm

Hahaha don't do mandatories or dangerous fights....yeh ok.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 22 May 2014, 2:55 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Couple good fights id like to see this year:

GGG vs Cotto/Martinez
JMM vs Khan (that would be great)

as to this proposed fight, id probably pick Marcos at this stage. Yes he can be hurt, but Thurman has never been in the ring with anyone as experienced or as tough Imo. Therefore id expect another "Broner" performance from him. Puts KT down a couple of times en route to a UD or something similar. Think he simply out works him.

However, lime many have already pointed out, Marcos can indeed be hurt (as seen against Kham, Ortiz and Lopez)....therefore one punch can change a fight....can it be "One Time" Keith?? If so, welcome to the big league.

Soto Karass and Juan Diaz are as experienced, Karass is one tough nut as well.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 22 May 2014, 3:59 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Don't mind anybody bashing modern fighters for their opposition..

Just wish some remembered the old days weren't fault-less.........

Fitzsimmons avoiding competition for two and a half years as Heavyweight champion so he could milk the Heavy title........Robbo avoiding Turpin 3 like the plague.....Dempsey avoiding any fighter that was top class and black...

Get my drift.............

comment by jeffreyrowley (U8922630)
posted Nov 9, 2010
You'd have loved it these last few week Zoomy. Truss' time on these boards over the last few months has been typified by fairly irregular meltdown months, normally over people overrating old timers, which normally entails about three days of Truss calling anyone and everyone I CANNOT TYPE A SENTENCE WITHOUT RESORTING TO VULGAR LANGUAGE or twonks, which as i'm sure you can appreciate has endeared him to all and sundry, however as he has become less and less popular as a consequence of these rants his meltdowns have become all the more regular until we end up with retirment number four. All very silly but immensely amusing.
complain about this comment

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 22 May 2014, 5:03 pm

Maidana once had a mullet

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 22 May 2014, 5:04 pm

Don't believe me?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 22 May 2014, 5:05 pm

Maidana vs Thurman A_opt

Hang your heads in shame

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 22 May 2014, 5:09 pm

Good job Maidana didn't go into the ring with that hairstyle couple of weeks ago...Mayweather would have mistaken him for a woman and put a proper beating on him!  drumroll

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 22 May 2014, 6:08 pm

Thurman wins for me but not if Maidana starts the quicker.

Anyone who says Floyd would not take on Thurman are deluded. People forget Augustus, Cotto, Mosley, Castilio twice, Canelo etc all big punchers.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down