The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How important could the weather be ??

+5
milkyboy
jimdig
compelling and rich
KingMonkey
TRUSSMAN66
9 posters

Go down

How important could the weather be ?? Empty How important could the weather be ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu May 29, 2014 5:13 pm

If Cruz-mcguigan was fought in cooler overcast temperatures Mcguigan's legacy would be different...

Gil Clancy always said If you fight outside it means more oxygen meaning you can fight longer...Unless the heat is oppressive of course!!

Groves has stamina problems a nice cool night could be a Godsend...Balmy night and Froch could be in business..

Had Robbo - Maxim been a less sticky night I would have him above Ali..

Outside fights - Always factor in the conditions....

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu May 29, 2014 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

How important could the weather be ?? Empty Re: How important could the weather be ??

Post by KingMonkey Thu May 29, 2014 5:26 pm

17 degrees in the midday sun fwiw, can't see that having an effect either way. It was hotter in the MEN.

Analysis gone nuts.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

How important could the weather be ?? Empty Re: How important could the weather be ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu May 29, 2014 5:30 pm

If it was hotter in the MEN then it will suit Groves..Knob head

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Thu May 29, 2014 5:34 pm

*piles life savings into a Groves win*

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu May 29, 2014 5:39 pm

20 bucks on Groves then..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu May 29, 2014 5:40 pm

always thought foreman v ali could have been different if not in zaire, foreman pushing the pace he did in that heat was suicide

but no the weather wont have any difference in this, outside fight or not its still pretty toasty under those lights, so would imagine it wont be much different than many indoor fights

apart from if your a fan that is, it was bloody freezing at the COMS for the hatton fight

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu May 29, 2014 5:46 pm

One has to remember little things all add up.......Gil Clancy was right..

Weather did for Johnson,Robbo and Mcguigan...and probably forced other fighters to wilt or avoid wilting in others..

Have to be dumb to not think ten or fifteen degrees won't make a difference in a gruelling fight..

Unfortunately it seems some people on here are dumb.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu May 29, 2014 5:48 pm

If it's a cool night it will offset the lights somewhat Compy..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 29, 2014 5:53 pm

compelling and rich wrote:always thought foreman v ali could have been different if not in zaire, foreman pushing the pace he did in that heat was suicide

but no the weather wont have any difference in this, outside fight or not its still pretty toasty under those lights, so would imagine it wont be much different than many indoor fights

apart from if your a fan that is, it was bloody freezing at the COMS for the hatton fight
I did an article a long time ago about a similar subject and Windy mentioned that when Foreman fought Frazier, the heat and humidity were greater than in Zaire and that it if that was a factor, then Frazier would not have been so convincingly dispatched.

I asked whether or not, if roles we reversed and Frazier had fought in Zaire and Foreman in Manila, would Ali still have won both fights and the consensus seemed to be yes because his will to win was greater. However, the better man doesn't always win but the one who can outlast his opponent does. The guy who won't wilt, blink, bend or break is usually left standing tall at the end. I'm not sure that the weather will have such an impact though as isn't it generally considered to be bloody hot under the lights anyway and the outside ambient temperatures rarely affect what happens in the ring unless you are talking about freak conditions (and I'm not sure we're likely to get anything comparable this weekend)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu May 29, 2014 5:57 pm

I think the cold and rain helped Mugabi against Marv..Mugabi's stamina wasn't the best..

But interesting posts for sure

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu May 29, 2014 6:02 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:always thought foreman v ali could have been different if not in zaire, foreman pushing the pace he did in that heat was suicide

I did an article a long time ago about a similar subject and Windy mentioned that when Foreman fought Frazier, the heat and humidity were greater than in Zaire and that it if that was a factor, then Frazier would not have been so convincingly dispatched.

I asked whether or not, if roles we reversed and Frazier had fought in Zaire and Foreman in Manila, would Ali still have won both fights and the consensus seemed to be yes because his will to win was greater. However, the better man doesn't always win but the one who can outlast his opponent does. The guy who won't wilt, blink, bend or break is usually left standing tall at the end. I'm not sure that the weather will have such an impact though as isn't it generally considered to be bloody hot under the lights anyway and the outside ambient temperatures rarely affect what happens in the ring unless you are talking about freak conditions (and I'm not sure we're likely to get anything comparable this weekend)

not sure the weather effects foreman v frazier too much as foreman will get frazier out of there pretty early in nearly all conditions. the fact that ali was one of the few who could stand up to foremans barrage while in crippling temperatures/humidity was more of a issue to me. still think ali would have got the win but do think ali played to the conditions better and suited him more than foreman

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu May 29, 2014 6:08 pm

If you watch Hagler - Leonard with Clancy/Ryan commentating you'll hear Clancy saying how much having it outdoors on a cool night would help Sugar...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu May 29, 2014 6:57 pm

I thought the rain in hamburg had more effect of Haye than his little toe. But that's not saying much.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu May 29, 2014 7:08 pm

Only when it stays on the plains.. Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu May 29, 2014 9:02 pm

Heat has definitely made a difference in a few fights... In some cases its fitness in other's its acclimatisation. Steve Cruz may not have had more stigma than mcguigan but he certainly was more used to the heat.

Its hard to catch breath when it's really hot, but the weather's only really a factor in the later rounds of a fight. Not sure how it effects either foreman v Frazier fight.  

Re the rumble... It was a close fight so I'm not sure the heat effected the end result that much. Foreman was used to banging guys out early. He was just true to form in the fight.. On a cooler night he might have made another round or two, all depends on when Ali throws the punch that wobbled him.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Thu May 29, 2014 11:34 pm

Not that important

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri May 30, 2014 9:26 am

Interesting analysis and I agree it could have an effect but given the forecast, actually will not.

Dry, no chance of rain, not humid, will be a comfy mid-teens by 10pm.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri May 30, 2014 9:35 am

Have done a thread on Newark by election that might interest you Toppy...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri May 30, 2014 9:36 am

All Time Great wrote:Not that important

Your in depth analysis has convinced me I'm talking crap...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Fri May 30, 2014 1:04 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
All Time Great wrote:Not that important

Your in depth analysis has convinced me I'm talking crap...

Good...

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri May 30, 2014 2:03 pm

Easy with the full stops.....

You're breaching copyright.... Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat May 31, 2014 2:48 pm

They should have fought in the Millenium Stadium. It has a roof not some pointless arch. Weather wouldnt have been a factor

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sat May 31, 2014 2:53 pm

And it's in the centre of the city, close to bars, hotels and train stations. And my house.

2 fighters from Engerland though, I don't begrudge them wanting to fight at the home of English football (and the £9 chicken nuggets).

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat May 31, 2014 4:33 pm

Dipper Brown wrote:And it's in the centre of the city, close to bars, hotels and train stations. And my house.

2 fighters from Engerland though, I don't begrudge them wanting to fight at the home of English football (and the £9 chicken nuggets).
Yeah location wise the Millenium Stadium also urinates all over Wemberly. Even all the English football fans I know said they wish the finals were still at Cardiff

As you say though you can hardly have the Battle of England in Wales I guess although Lewis did face Bruno in the old National Stadium and they were Canadian and English

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down