The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Era - The one player that excites you the most?

+12
JDizzle
jimbohammers
msp83
Gregers
NickisBHAFC
hampo17
LivinginItaly
GSC
skyeman
Stella
guildfordbat
Good Golly I'm Olly
16 posters

Go down

Most exciting England youngster

The New Era - The one player that excites you the most? Vote_lcap35%The New Era - The one player that excites you the most? Vote_rcap 35% 
[ 8 ]
The New Era - The one player that excites you the most? Vote_lcap0%The New Era - The one player that excites you the most? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
The New Era - The one player that excites you the most? Vote_lcap0%The New Era - The one player that excites you the most? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
The New Era - The one player that excites you the most? Vote_lcap4%The New Era - The one player that excites you the most? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
The New Era - The one player that excites you the most? Vote_lcap4%The New Era - The one player that excites you the most? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
The New Era - The one player that excites you the most? Vote_lcap17%The New Era - The one player that excites you the most? Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 4 ]
The New Era - The one player that excites you the most? Vote_lcap26%The New Era - The one player that excites you the most? Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 6 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
The New Era - The one player that excites you the most? Vote_lcap9%The New Era - The one player that excites you the most? Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 23

The New Era - The one player that excites you the most? Empty The New Era - The one player that excites you the most?

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 29 May 2014, 8:19 pm

Thought I'd get a little debate going

Who for you is the most exciting English youngster of this "new era"?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

The New Era - The one player that excites you the most? Empty Re: The New Era - The one player that excites you the most?

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 29 May 2014, 8:23 pm

My vote goes to Gary Ballance

I really really like what I've seen of him so far, and obviously he's got some pretty impressive county stats behind him too. He looks to me to be a potential stalwart of our middle order for a good 8-10 years to come. Not only that but his ability to play one day and the longer format excites me. He seems to have the ability to play attacking and defensive depending on the situation, and has a great array of shots. Also a decent fielder

He gets my vote (cue two horrible tests against Sri Lanka)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

The New Era - The one player that excites you the most? Empty Re: The New Era - The one player that excites you the most?

Post by guildfordbat Fri 30 May 2014, 7:59 am

Olly - good article. Hope it gets the take up it deserves. Not much time now but I would make the point that the most exciting player doesn't always make the best Test player - I feel sure the much missed Mike Selig would agree.

Anyway, I've given my vote to Jordan. I'll post a bit more this afternoon.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 30 May 2014, 10:07 am

I like Ballance, very easy on the eye. Stokes to. Plenty of aggression, not always controlled, but nothing wrong with that.

Jordan is making an impression, and has to be in the mix for a test spot.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 30 May 2014, 10:16 am

I voted for Jordan too. Not just for the skill and great start. He has such passion too.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 30 May 2014, 10:20 am

I voted for Stokes.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 30 May 2014, 10:40 am

Hales Whistle
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Fri 30 May 2014, 10:43 am

guildfordbat wrote:Olly - good article. Hope it gets the take up it deserves. Not much time now but I would make the point that the most exciting player doesn't always make the best Test player - I feel sure the much missed Mike Selig would agree.

Anyway, I've given my vote to Jordan. I'll post a bit more this afternoon.

What has happened to Mike Selig? I always looked forward to reading his knowledgeable contributions.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Fri 30 May 2014, 10:44 am

As to the subject of the thread for me Taylor.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 30 May 2014, 11:17 am

Chris Jordan for me. The lad is a genuinely exciting character who shows passion with every delivery, I'd love to see him getting the nod ahead of Tim Bresnan who I just don't rate.

Jos Butler is another, and could be moving in to the gloves full time with Priors injury plus Moores obviously likes him as shown by signing him for Lancs.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 30 May 2014, 3:18 pm

Following up on my earlier post and Hampo's about Jordan, he was always viewed as having talent in his Surrey days but failed to deliver with any consistency despite a fair number of opportunities. A back problem hampered him for a season or two but beyond that things often didn't seem quite right. He gave an awful lot of runs away with no balls - whether to do with a lack of confidence, self belief and/or self discipline, I couldn't say from this distance. However, things definitely seem to have been turned around in the last season and a bit, as reflected not just by his stats but by the intensity of his performances. Credit almost certainly belongs to both the player himself and his new county, Sussex, in getting the best out of him.

As Hampo also says, Buttler is another one to watch. Capacity to destroy with the bat although under the heading 'work in progress' with the keeper's gloves. Whilst believing in Buttler's potential, I suspect Moores is of the same mindset now regarding Buttler keeping in Tests. Just who does keep though is a thorny issue.

Don't forget England's current (or, at least, most recent) Test keeper is Bairstow. Even without his recent injury, surely not for this summer's Tests.
Prior? He was dropped in Australia and hasn't yet been fit enough to keep in a CC match this season.
Davies? The money was starting to go on him a month or so back but he's since given the gloves to Wilson at Surrey and is playing purely as a batsman. Not a chance - now or probably in the future.
The best two keepers in the Championship are Read and Foster. Who knows? Not just a game for youngsters!  Wink 

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 30 May 2014, 10:40 pm

SIR CHRIS JORDAN ALL BOW DOWN NOW!!!!

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Sat 31 May 2014, 7:47 am

Chris Jordan has impressed me no end so far this season, although equally James Vince must be so close to getting into the side. At the very least over Bell for the Odi's

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 31 May 2014, 8:43 am

Steven Finn, Joe Root and Ben Stokes are all players who have impressed me. Propperly Managed, they all can have a bright future for England.
I am not sure Chris Jordan and Stokes are the typical conformist players that the ECB loves, it will be interesting to see how they are managed by the lot in coming days.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Sat 31 May 2014, 9:58 am

James Vince

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 31 May 2014, 10:52 am

Ian Bell's ODI form has been class recently. I like Vince, but there is no way he gets in above Bell soon.

Bias aside, it's Stokes for me. Bowls genuinely sharply and is a game changer with the bat, probably not a number 6 yet though in Tests.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 31 May 2014, 12:29 pm

Stokes for me. Jordan has impressed me , and I think he may be a very good player for England. But in terms of excitement , I think Stokes is out on his own.
Not sure this will automatically translate into regular matchwinning performances : he appears to be something of a loose cannon. He may lose a few games as well as winning some...but I doubt anyone will be bored watching...

Buttler maybe ; if he develops a game that goes beyond the twenty over caper.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 01 Jun 2014, 8:01 pm

I voted for Buttler. And that was before his exploits yesterday.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 01 Jun 2014, 8:15 pm

Ben Stokes.

But I think there's plenty of exciting English cricketers for the next generation as well as him.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 02 Jun 2014, 11:27 am

I went for Buttler even if Cook doesn't think he is ready for Test cricket.

IMO he'll fit in well with the rest of the England Test Squad!!!!!
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 16 Aug 2014, 9:38 pm

Olly wrote:My vote goes to Gary Ballance

I really really like what I've seen of him so far, and obviously he's got some pretty impressive county stats behind him too. He looks to me to be a potential stalwart of our middle order for a good 8-10 years to come. Not only that but his ability to play one day and the longer format excites me. He seems to have the ability to play attacking and defensive depending on the situation, and has a great array of shots. Also a decent fielder

He gets my vote (cue two horrible tests against Sri Lanka)

Get on the Ballance Bus folks Cool
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down