The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What will season 2014/2015 bring?

+21
Totallybiasedscarlet
Welshmushroom
whocares
Irish Londoner
TJ
nathan
GLove39
thebandwagonsociety
tigertattie
ScarletSpiderman
asoreleftshoulder
profitius
George Carlin
theslosty
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
beshocked
bluestonevedder
rodders
geoff998rugby
Geordie
RDW
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What will season 2014/2015 bring? Empty What will season 2014/2015 bring?

Post by RDW Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:15 pm

I think it's fair to say 2014/2015 will herald a new dawn in professional rugby.

Between the new Euro championships, mega sponsorship deals with BT Sport and TV rights being split between them and Sky, the professional game is going to look very different come next season. Also worth mentioning that Sky will be showing a lot of Pro 12 games, and I'm not sure how this will affect the local broadcasters like S4C, RTE and BBC Alba.

The Pro 12 is also in need of a new sponsor, and I wouldn't be surprised if BT step up their quest for rugby domination, with the Sky broadcasts having to mention the BT Sport Pro 12 all the time!

So given that rugby will have much more money than it is ever had before, how do people see the game panning out in the future? Will we turn into the ways of football, with corporate greed ripping the heart and soul out of the game, or will the money lead to a positive outcome, with clubs and countries able to invest more in youth development and raise the quality of the game across the board?

p.s. there will be a strict zero-tolerance on this thread to wumming or brining up repetitive arguments from the past!  Very Happy 

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

What will season 2014/2015 bring? Empty Re: What will season 2014/2015 bring?

Post by RDW Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:01 pm

Sorry ASBO, your post would not have taken this thread in the direction I intended given this is about the new levels of money in rugby!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:09 pm

I look forward to the new season, but i worry that we will see more of the Habana, MaCarthy antics discussed on the other thread....

Aside from that, big seasons domestically (can my Falcons improve on a poor season) and European wise, with the new competition etc, and also a huge season internationally with the WC at the end of it.
Which youngsters can gatecrash Lancasters somewhat settled squad.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:41 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote: .

The Pro 12 is also in need of a new sponsor, and I wouldn't be surprised if BT step up their quest for rugby domination, with the Sky broadcasts having to mention the BT Sport Pro 12 all the time!

I would be confident that a precondition of the TV deal is that a rival does not sponsor the competition.
Bizarrely Turkish Airlines seem to be a real possibility

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:54 pm

I think it will see the French and English dominate in Europe - Toulon, Clermont, Racing, Saracens, Northampton maybe Bath and Harlequins.

More big South African and Kiwi players signing for the French teams to join post RWC.

Welsh club rugby to decline further with more players abandoning the regions to join the English and French sides.

Scottish to improve marginally, with a slight decline in Irish European performances - Munster to do best.
The Rabo to decline further into a 4 horse race between the 3 main Irish provinces and Glasgow but with better showings from Connacht and Edinburgh.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:11 pm

rodders wrote:I think it will see the French and English  dominate in Europe - Toulon, Clermont, Racing, Saracens, Northampton maybe Bath and Harlequins.

More big South African and Kiwi players signing for the French teams to join post RWC.

Welsh club rugby to decline further with more players abandoning the regions to join the English and French sides.

Scottish to improve marginally, with a slight decline in Irish European performances - Munster to do best.
The Rabo to decline further into a 4 horse race between the 3 main Irish provinces and Glasgow but with better showings from Connacht and Edinburgh.

Tigers Rodders?

Good point about the French signing up SA and Kiwi players post world cup.

I think we'll also see an influx of second-tier nations players into British and French clubs. The WC is the biggest rugby stage in the world, and a chance for every player to put a mark down no matter where they're from. I remember after 2011 there was a spree of signings. Ospreys I particularly remember signing up the USA Eagles backrow who had a great tournament, Artemyev to Saints as well. Blaine Scully and Goneva at Tigers? Gorgodzilla also got a nice fat new contract after humiliating every other backrow forward in the competition.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:14 pm

Yeah Tigers too maybe. Just ringing a few off the top of my head - certainly the top 4 in the top14 and AP will be up there imo. Probably the French holding the balance. Watch out for Racing...
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:16 pm

Do people think the extra money in the game will make the gap between those that 'have' and those that 'have not' even bigger or will it level the playing field more?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:20 pm

rodders wrote:Yeah Tigers too maybe. Just ringing a few off the top of my head - certainly the top 4 in the top14 and AP will be up there imo. Probably the French holding the balance. Watch out for Racing...

Tigers had a poor season by their standards, but I'm fully expecting them to bounce back

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:25 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Do people think the extra money in the game will make the gap between those that 'have' and those that 'have not' even bigger or will it level the playing field more?

The former. Zero doubt about it but hope I'm wrong,

The French to dominate and then get stronger again in 2015 as 50% of kiwis and Saffers in the 28-33 bracket come North. English marginally behind.

Scottish teams to go up with the BT money - not enough to challenge the big boys.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:31 pm

Actually I do not think the teams mentioned will necessarily dominate

Toulon YES - altrhough Johnny needs replacing

Racing have yet to show that money translates into a team
Clermont are in decline, as are Toulouse, albeit off a high plateau
Saracens, Saints and Leicester are all strong but perfectly beatable by the 3 senior Irish Provinces
Bath and Harlequins are still behind the Irish imo

Bottom line other than Toulon the top 12 or so teams in Europe are capable of beating each other on the day and those 12 team are pretty evenly split between the 3 leagues.
I do see a slight decline in Ireland but again from a high plateau and still remain competitve.
Glasgow are a whisker away from making an impact in Europe

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:35 pm

Unfortunately I do think rugby is becoming more like football - in the less savoury ways. I have seen the light in the last 3 weeks.

If Saracens' culture is the future it worries me. It's far too player orientated. A club should be more than just the team.

The French will dominate - also the question - can anyone stop Toulon?

Gap in the AP will probably continue to get bigger. A top 4 has taken shape in the last 4 years. Favourites are the two finalists unsurprisingly.

Pro12 should be a more competitive league but I think the Pro12 clubs will find it harder in the HC. Even the Irish might not be able to withstand the English and French onslaught in the long term.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:42 pm

What has brought about your Damascene conversion, beshocked?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:51 pm

beshocked wrote:
Pro12 should be a more competitive league but I think the Pro12 clubs will find it harder in the HC. Even the Irish might not be able to withstand the English and French onslaught in the long term.

Not unless the Welsh sort themselves out if won't. It'll be another 4 horse race for the top 4. Expecting more from Connacht, Edinburgh and Treviso who have the quality on paper and need to buck up their games but none will challenge the Irish trio and Glasgow.

What impact will the RWC have? I can't see many Welsh guys putting their body on the lines for their sides in a RWC year given their lack of interest in regional rugby as it is.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:20 pm

Favourites to win would be in the following order: Toulon, Leinster, Munster, Clermont, Saracens, Ulster, Northampton

Toulon are certainly the best team in Europe by some distance and will have an even stronger squad this time around but I think Clermont, Munster and Leinster in particular would still back themselves at home. I don't think Anglo-French dominance has been cemented yet, they may have glittering international squads but the Irish sides, particularly Munster, are very good at raising their game in the knockout stages. 
The Heineken Cup was a fantastic competition with intensity and drama that eclipsed most Test matches for me, but if it did have one flaw it was the issue of semi-final venues. The flip of a coin plays a huge part in deciding which sides reach the final and surely alternatives should be looked at, are neutral venues feasible? 
Look at Munster, they have reached 11 semi-finals and in 10 of them they have been the away side!

Anyway, I'd watch out for Glasgow and Saints to make progress this year and I'm interested if Castres can finally convert their very consistent league form to European competition. In the Pro12 Connacht have the potential to push for a top 6 place.

I agree with rodders that with the Welsh regions the way they are there won't be a huge increase in the competitiveness of the Pro12 anytime soon. The arrival of Sky may make an impact but you only have to look at the final on Saturday to see why the league seems to lack the professional edge of the other two European leagues. By all accounts Leinster vs Glasgow saw plenty of good rugby, but surely a relatively small venue like the RDS is not the way to showcase the league's main event, you couldn't imagine the Premiership or Top 14 final being played in such a stadium.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:32 pm

theslosty wrote: Munster and Leinster in particular would still back themselves at home. .

As would we - 1 defeat in our last 15 home group matches isn't a bad record and even that only after we were, near as damn it, qualified and just got sloppy.

As mentioned Wales key to the Pro12.
We have 4 good teams and both Connacht and Edinburgh looking up.
Some serious money going into the Itaian teams in the next couple of years

If the Welsh got their act together <insert flying pig icon> we would have a competitive league

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:58 pm

I just feel there are so many unknowns with Ulster this season regarding departures and arrivals, and who will play in the centre but having said that we have young players who should continue to improve and hopefully our luck with injuries (and red cards) won't be so catastrophically bad. As you know so many key players missed large chunks of the season: Best, Afoa, Muller, Pienaar, Bowe off the top of my head.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:18 pm

I think Ulster, Leinster and Munster will do ok, certainly at home but honestly think an Irish side in the SF would be a good return.

Leinster and Ulster are losing some key players (Muller, Cullen, Drico, Afoa, Ferris) and although Munster have more continuity they have a new coach. I think O'Connor at Leinster has one foot on the exit door too.

Therefore I can't find any reason to believe any of these sides will be stronger next season (Munster maybe), which they would need to be to win, given their rivals will be stronger and the seeding won't be so kind.

Not trying to be negative - just trying to have realistic expectations and when you have O'Connor basically say Leinster's squad isn't good enough and Munster prioritising the Pro12 then that says a lot.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:18 pm

I am going to be interested to see how each union regulates the number of marquee signings that are brought into its clubs. Fans seem to be at polar opposites in terms of whether this is a good or bad thing for their teams and I think that clubs are really rigorously investigating to what extent they are value for money.

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:31 pm

Im not sure that you'll see a huge influx in to the English teams.

Dont forget they still get financial rewards for producing English players. That is a big incentive to avoid picking foreign alternatives.

Only the real top class ones maybe considered.

ie Should another Gorgodze explode on to the scene for Georgia....

Madagascar have a possibility of making the finals!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:11 am

rodders wrote: . I think O'Connor at Leinster has one foot on the exit door too.

As does Anscombe

It wil lbe tough for the Irish and they have question marks against them but to be honest so do all French teams bar Toulon and so do all English sides bar, possibly, Saracens.

The bottom line is after Toulon there is a whole bunch of team capable of beating each other, with home advantage deciding who are favourites - the 3 senior Irish teams are in that group, along with the 3 best Englsih teams and which ever French teams decide to turn up.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:41 am

From a Munster perspective I'm looking forward to next season. They've made some good signings including new centers and a new backs coach. That was Munsters big problem under Penney. With Downey, Lualala, Ronan and Coughlan going, the squad will have a more youthful look to it next season. Donnacha Ryan and Mike Sherry will be like 2 new signings. Theres also the talking point about how Foley wants the team to play. Nobody seems to know but theres talk he'll continue what Penney started but tweek it a little.

For next season in the Pro 12 I'll pick the teams who I think will be stronger [+], weaker [-] and staying the same [=]

Edinburgh+
Glasgow=
Connacht+
Munster+
Leinster=
Ulster=
Ospreys=
Cardiff=
Scarlets=
Dragons=
Treviso-
Zebre=

So 3 teams I think will be stronger, 1 weaker while the rest remain the same. I'm not 100% sure about the Welsh teams.

Regarding the '=' teams. Every team is getting stronger or weaker to some degree, no team stays the same but I don't think we'll see much of a difference with them. Injuries could have a big part to play also.

Re Connacht. They've made good signings and are definitely moving forward and will be harder to beat than this season. They still have a weak forward pack and thats something I think Lam should have also looked at strengthening.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:05 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Im not sure that you'll see a huge influx in to the English teams.

Dont forget they still get financial rewards for producing English players. That is a big incentive to avoid picking foreign alternatives.

Only the real top class ones maybe considered.

ie Should another Gorgodze explode on to the scene for Georgia....

Madagascar have a possibility of making the finals!
That deserves an appropriate celebration:

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:11 am

theslosty wrote:Favourites to win would be in the following order: Toulon, Leinster, Munster, Clermont, Saracens, Ulster, Northampton

Toulon are certainly the best team in Europe by some distance and will have an even stronger squad this time around but I think Clermont, Munster and Leinster in particular would still back themselves at home. I don't think Anglo-French dominance has been cemented yet, they may have glittering international squads but the Irish sides, particularly Munster, are very good at raising their game in the knockout stages. 
The Heineken Cup was a fantastic competition with intensity and drama that eclipsed most Test matches for me, but if it did have one flaw it was the issue of semi-final venues. The flip of a coin plays a huge part in deciding which sides reach the final and surely alternatives should be looked at, are neutral venues feasible? 
Look at Munster, they have reached 11 semi-finals and in 10 of them they have been the away side!

Anyway, I'd watch out for Glasgow and Saints to make progress this year and I'm interested if Castres can finally convert their very consistent league form to European competition. In the Pro12 Connacht have the potential to push for a top 6 place.

I agree with rodders that with the Welsh regions the way they are there won't be a huge increase in the competitiveness of the Pro12 anytime soon. The arrival of Sky may make an impact but you only have to look at the final on Saturday to see why the league seems to lack the professional edge of the other two European leagues. By all accounts Leinster vs Glasgow saw plenty of good rugby, but surely a relatively small venue like the RDS is not the way to showcase the league's main event, you couldn't imagine the Premiership or Top 14 final being played in such a stadium.

I'd hate to see it played in a neutral venue,the league is devalued enough by having playoffs imo.If you make it like the English playoff system then teams only have to aim for the top 2.A team can finish 15 points ahead of their nearest rival and get absolutely no advantage over the team that finished 2nd.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:16 am

I have a horrible feeling that next season could be a very important one. There is no denying that with the extra cash the French will dominate Europe, with a few English names chasing up behind them. But I have a feeling that it could be the Pro12 sides that will see the biggest of changes.

Glasgow are a team on the rise, and I think they will be looking to try and make a mark on the RCC, especially now that they are confident that they should be in the Pro12 playoff places come the end of the season. I also think that being in the Challenge Cup will see Edinburgh improve upon last season, and the same could be said for the Blues, Connacht and Dragons (as with the top two in the pools progressing they may make knockout rugby).

However I am a bit concerned that with key players leaving the three top provinces, and the likelihood of stronger English/French opposition, that they may struggle in Europe. For the last decade or so, at least two of them have been European big hitters, and their signings have shown that. It will be interesting to see how much pulling power they will retain by this time next season, IF the French/English do steal a march in the RCC.

And as for us welsh, well I really can't/won't get into that.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:20 am

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
theslosty wrote:Favourites to win would be in the following order: Toulon, Leinster, Munster, Clermont, Saracens, Ulster, Northampton

I'd hate to see it played in a neutral venue,the league is devalued enough by having playoffs imo.If you make it like the English playoff system then teams only have to aim for the top 2.A team can finish 15 points ahead of their nearest rival and get absolutely no advantage over the team that finished 2nd.

Not strictly true, in theory if you finish first your semi-final will be against the weakest of the play-off teams.

Regardless, I would much rather see tickets for the final sold cheaply and get a sell-out at the Aviva, why was that not an option? I just feel the Rabo is not doing enough to attract fans outside the traditional hardcore.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:29 am

theslosty wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:
theslosty wrote:.....I agree with rodders that with the Welsh regions the way they are there won't be a huge increase in the competitiveness of the Pro12 anytime soon. The arrival of Sky may make an impact but you only have to look at the final on Saturday to see why the league seems to lack the professional edge of the other two European leagues. By all accounts Leinster vs Glasgow saw plenty of good rugby, but surely a relatively small venue like the RDS is not the way to showcase the league's main event, you couldn't imagine the Premiership or Top 14 final being played in such a stadium.

Not strictly true, in theory if you finish first your semi-final will be against the weakest of the play-off teams.

Regardless, I would much rather see tickets for the final sold cheaply and get a sell-out at the Aviva, why was that not an option? I just feel the Rabo is not doing enough to attract fans outside the traditional hardcore.

I think a big stadium final would be brilliant and help win over 'big day out' type fans.

Another way for the Rabo to win over fans would be to not keep changing the league every few seasons. Genuine question, when was the last time we went for more that two seasons without some shake up in the Rabo?

We have had

- 12 sides (5 Welsh, 4 Irish, 3 Scottish) - straight league
- 11 Sides (4 Welsh, 4 Irish, 3 Scottish) - straight league
- 10 Sides (4 Welsh, 4 Irish, 2 Scottish) - straight league
- 10 Sides (4 Welsh, 4 Irish, 2 Scottish) - League with playoffs
- 12 Sides (4 Welsh, 4 Irish, 2 Scottish, 2 Italian) - League with playoffs.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:33 am

This issue will be decided on by the governance from the Unions. I'm in blissful ignorance as to the workings of football so I don't know how things work with the top level getting money. To me it looks like the money in football is kept at the highest levels and the gap between Man U and local teams gets wider and wider each year.

What the unions in rugby need to do is ensure that the money earned from commercial sources is distributed down through the ranks. We really dont want to see a rugby team full of ridiculously over-paid diving premaddonas.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:34 am

theslosty wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

The finalists were only decided 2 weeks before the final was played,it takes months to sell out for the Munster match each year and the tickets are at reasonable prices.2 weeks just wouldn't do it,you'd end up with a load of empty seats.If the marketing men thought it was realistic then Leinster would have gone for it.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:37 am

SoreShoulder, if the game was at a national stadium (doing the rounds, or at the union of the last champion), then it would be announced like the HEC at the start of the season, leaving you a full season to by tickets just incase your team make it, or even just of the fun of finals day.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:03 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:SoreShoulder, if the game was at a national stadium (doing the rounds, or at the union of the last champion), then it would be announced like the HEC at the start of the season, leaving you a full season to by tickets just incase your team make it, or even just of the fun of finals day.

Yeah that might work and it could be built up into a big event,personally I wouldn't like it as I really feel the team that tops the league should get home advantage but I can see how it could become a huge showcase for the league.I feel very dodgy about our win last year due to Ulster topping the league and having to play in the R.D.S. due to building work.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:46 am

Why not announce it to be at the home national stadium of the team 1st in the league.
Would give us 3 weeks to arrange.

At Leinster already not all ST holders are guaranteed a final home ticket and even with the expanded ground Ulster are not far off that

That isn't right

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:19 am

The Pro12 is a very young league. The Grand Final isn't yet a marquee event. Though we really should bite the bullet and market it as such.

Taking this years top 4 to walk through, I'd say that if it was put in a national stadium Leinster/Ulster/Munster could send 15-18000 to the game with 2 weeks notice. Glasgow look to be in position to send 6-9000 if they continue as they are. I reckon there would be another 4-5000 between the other sides that would take a punt and go for the show and there should be a draw from the diaspora and hosting city to top up another 4-5000. But you only get the last 8-10000 people showing up if they get plenty of notice and marketing (we'd be talking months or even the start of the season).

So with two weeks notice you might need a venue of 21,000 to 36,000. And remember for the RDS, while Leinster ST didn't get automatic rights to seats (it was a lottery), Glasgow returned 2000(possibly more) tickets which fed back to Leinster. So while the RDS was full, that crowd would have been lost inside a Lansdowne Rd, Murrayfield, MS, San Siro!

That said, two of the Irish provinces make the final in a pre-set venue with plenty of marketing behind it and it could be 56,000 which would sell out Lansdowne but wouldn't be close to filling the other venues.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:50 am

Next rabo final to be a repeat of the 1872 cup!

(You heard it here first!)

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:13 am

Edinburgh's success very much comes down to the quality of players we bring in.

We've let 24 players go from the squad, including several internationals. The squad needed trimmed down, but if we replace those players with journeymen foreigners then we're gonna struggle.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:17 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Edinburgh's success very much comes down to the quality of players we bring in.

We've let 24 players go from the squad, including several internationals. The squad needed trimmed down, but if we replace those players with journeymen foreigners then we're gonna struggle.

perhaps the extra money coming in will help build a better academy structure? Or is the problem keeping those players.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:28 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Do people think the extra money in the game will make the gap between those that 'have' and those that 'have not' even bigger or will it level the playing field more?

Yes hugely increase the gap - this was after all the aim of the Prl. French and english teams will have hugely greater budgets, no one else will. Its the beggining of the end of competitive pan european rugby. Scots, Italians and welsh will not be competative at all and ireland will struggle as the english and french clubs will be able to bid up the price of the players

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:26 pm

nathan wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Edinburgh's success very much comes down to the quality of players we bring in.

perhaps the extra money coming in will help build a better academy structure? Or is the problem keeping those players.

The problem is Edinburgh keep sending their young promising players to Glasgow! Doh 

The SRU are investing heavily in the academies, but to be fair there has been some success already with Dave Denton, Grant Gilchrist, Matt Scott, Dougie Fife and Tom Brown all joining Edinburgh in their teens and going on to get capped.  Plus currently Sam  Hidalgo-Clyne and Sean Kennedy are promising young scrum halfs that will be Scotland Internationalists of the future.

Of the 24 players that were released the majority were dead would that we had to get rid of, but we have also released a number of experienced Internationalists - Geoff Cross, Ross Rennie, Greig Laidlaw and Nick De Luca.  That is a void that can't really be filled with youngsters and as I said, if we bring in foreign journeymen to replace them we will struggle.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:09 pm

TJ wrote:

Yes hugely increase the gap - this was after all the aim of the Prl.  French and english teams will have hugely greater budgets, no one else will.  Its the beggining of the end of competitive pan european rugby.  Scots, Italians and welsh will not be competative at all and ireland will struggle as the english and french clubs will be able to bid up the price of the players

Well the English won't be able to do that, they have a salary cap and they also get rewards for playing English players. Not that any of that will stop the anti PRL crap from you.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:32 pm

Salary caps can be adjusted up or down each year. Once the new TV deals start sending more money to clubs then a portion of that extra funds will be placed towards Salary caps. Not being anti PRL, it's just the way it is. MLB, NBA and NFL all work the same way, the salary cap is based on a proportion of total revenues coming into the league/clubs.

For the 14/15 season, does anyone have the tiering that will be used for the European Cup draw? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:38 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:Salary caps can be adjusted up or down each year.  Once the new TV deals start sending more money to clubs then a portion of that extra funds will be placed towards Salary caps. Not being anti PRL, it's just the way it is. MLB, NBA and NFL all work the same way, the salary cap is based on a proportion of total revenues coming into the league/clubs.

For the 14/15 season, does anyone have the tiering that will be used for the European Cup draw? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I'm well aware of that, there is an increase in the salary cap but it's nothing massive. Nothing that will "hugely increase the gap"

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:42 pm

After last nights game, who thinks the 2014/15 season will bring accusations of doctoring players passports?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:44 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:Salary caps can be adjusted up or down each year.  Once the new TV deals start sending more money to clubs then a portion of that extra funds will be placed towards Salary caps. Not being anti PRL, it's just the way it is. MLB, NBA and NFL all work the same way, the salary cap is based on a proportion of total revenues coming into the league/clubs.

If they do that then they'll just end up with the same predicament as the one which caused them to withdraw from the HC.The poorer teams will just spend the extra money on wages and will be operating at a loss,the new money is meant to make the clubs breakeven or slightly profitable businesses.If they up the salary cap then the problem will get bigger as the numbers they are spending and losing will have an extra zero on the end.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:38 am

1 - The Jeff top four will be Saracens, Harlequins, Leicester and Northampton.
2 - The RABO will continue to be dominated by the Irish "Big Three" and Glasgow will also stay the course.
3 - A Top14 club will go spectacularly bust.
4 - The WRU will still be at war with the Welsh Regions, who will still be at war with the Principality clubs, who will still be at war with the amateur game, who will still be at war with the WRU, I believe this is called a virtous circle.
5 - An English or French club will win the HEC replacement.
6 - The lower French clubs won't take the Amlin replacement seriously until the end of the group stages then will lose interest agan as the Top14 reaches its climax. Connaught to win with a side made up of loan players drawn from across Ireland.
7 - The country will go rugby mad when England win the RWC but the impetus will be lost as the RFU have no plan to deal with the sudden surge of interest and still charge £75 for a ticket to Twickenham.
8  - The country will lose all interest in rugby when England fail to get out of the group stages and the RFU are left with 500 people watching Tonga v Russia in the final.
9 - The Kiwis will claim there is some sort of English/RFU/IRB conspiracy if they don't win it.
10 - The Saffers aren't bothered if they don't because they "know" that they are the best team in the world anyway. There's probably an Afrikaans word for it.(Biltong?)
11 - At least one person will call Talksports rugby show demanding the recall of Johnny Wilkinson on the grounds that "he could still do a job for us".
12 - We'll all still be here chewing the cud (God willing).
Some of these may be more speculative than others........

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:53 am

1. Jonathan Davies' voice will go up another octave as Wales have a poor 6 Nations. Crowds of stray dogs will gather outside the ground.
2. Andrew Cotter will continue to commentate as through he is speaking through a toilet roll tube.
3. Stuart Barnes will continue to annoy everyone.
4. Eddie Butler will contribute £1,156 to Comic Relief by agreeing to commentate on a Wales v Ireland game, whilst paying £1 every time he says "but what of England", "the Welsh Way" or "Jonny Wilkinson".
5. Richard Cockerill will finally be arrested for headbutting Sonia McLoughlin and removing her left arm to in order to hit her with it. When interviewed in his home for the mentally bewildered afterwards, Cockers will constantly repeat the phrase 'never interview me after a one point defeat".
6. Nigel Owens will be cloned and given adamantium claws with a whistle attached. The standard of refereeing in rugby worldwide will increase immediately, as will the standard of player's behaviour.
7. Brian Moore will find a way to patent the word 'halfwit'.
9. A leaked Assange dossier will correct identify Mourad Boudjellal as being one of the many aliases for Vladimir Putin.
10. Brian O'Driscoll will be put out to stud around the scruffier end of the Temple Bar area.
11. Cian Healy will eat Conor Murray in a weak moment. Police will be unable to arrest him.
12. Scotland lose an exhibition match to Japan Ladies Third XV. Kelly Brown will describe this as "a bit disappointing".
13. Scott Johnson is finally given his own sitcom.
14. Mike McCarthy and Bryan Habana win European gold for the synchronised male diving event.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:04 am

Laugh  made my afternoon , thanks GC thumbsup

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:03 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:What has brought about your Damascene conversion, beshocked?

I have become disenchanted with Saracens (no it's not because of the two lost finals, nowhere near as trivial as that). This could well be my last post.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:39 am

This doom and gloom being spun about the Welsh sides not performing because of cash in the pro 12 is doing my nut. The Irish sides who top the league generally just play physically consistently. Not always flash but there isn't any underperforming in terms of the packs they send out. In truth I don't actually think the gaps for some welsh sides are that big its just that if truth be told at times the various packs under perform. I also think this exodus is being made to much of. If you look at the Blues for example, sure they have lost Halfpenny and Bradley but if you look at the signings coming in, they will be far stronger than this year. With players like Hoeata, Vosawai, Mitchell, Turnbull & Knoyle coming in they should have a massively physical pack. If Hammett can get them functioning quickly I think they could easily become serious contenders.

Also when you consider that Ian Evans to Toulon looks in tatters at this stage and him being linked to Scarlets/Exeter/WRU, I cant think of any other major players leaving who haven't been wanted. So I don't think Welsh sides will be any worse. In fact if anything I actually think we have some better imports coming into the game than are leaving. Particularly looking forward to seeing Brew and Byrne at the Dragons this coming season.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:41 am

Also from a neutrals perspective I'm looking forward to seeing Regan back in the Pro 12. He could really add some creativity to the Scarlets backline as at times they are a little direct of late and King certainly will create for others around him.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:41 am

Welshmushroom wrote:Also from a neutrals perspective I'm looking forward to seeing Regan back in the Pro 12.  He could really add some creativity to the Scarlets backline as at times they are a little direct of late and King certainly will create for others around him.

... just a shame Priestland is still kicking about PYS. He's as likely to put the opposition in for a try as he is his own centres. Every game he seems to throw an interception out there. Only kicker I've seen to whom people turn their backs with their head in their hands saying "I can't watch!" Flaky doesn't begin to describe him. Losing Owen Williams was a kick in the guts last summer!  Sad 
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next