The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v New Zealand - Test 2 (14 Jun 2014)

+88
sirtidychris
sad_gimp
nganboy
Duty281
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
Cumbrian
nobbled
SimonofSurrey
Otagolad
ME-109
wales606
EnglishReign
GavinDragon
AFewTooManyKnocks
SecretFly
trebellbobaggins
Pal Joey
Seagultaf
gelodge
ChequeredJersey
Mad for Chelsea
pledgeX
Gunner
WELL-PAST-IT
Eustace H Plimsoll
formerly known as Sam
Scrumpy
whocares
Portnoy's Complaint
thomh
No9
Notch
nlpnlp
andyi
Scratch
doctor_grey
mbernz
TrailApe
jelly
HammerofThunor
chewed_mintie
gregortree
aitchw
beshocked
englandglory4ever
quinsforever
kingelderfield
timhen
hugehandoff
cb
geoff998rugby
funnyExiledScot
HongKongCherry
Mr Bounce
disneychilly
bluestonevedder
rodders
lostinwales
Geordie
No 7&1/2
emack2
Ozzy3213
Taylorman
aucklandlaurie
milkyboy
Hood83
BamBam
bedfordwelsh
Rugby Fan
Wi11
majesticimperialman
king_carlos
yappysnap
Exiledinborders
Barney McGrew did it
TJ
DaveM
Chjw131
Manu's Boxing Coach
kiakahaaotearoa
Welly
sickofwendy
nathan
Tiger/Chief
blackcanelion
Biltong
Poorfour
OMc
92 posters

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

England v New Zealand - Test 2 (14 Jun 2014) - Page 11 Empty England v New Zealand - Test 2 (14 Jun 2014)

Post by OMc Sat 07 Jun 2014, 10:41 am

First topic message reminder :

NEW ZEALAND v ENGLAND
Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin
Saturday 14th June, KO 19:35 local, 08:35 BST

TEAMS
New Zealand
1: Woodcock, 2: Coles, 3: O Franks, 4: Retallick, 5: Whitelock, 6: Messam, 7: McCaw (c), 8: Kaino, 9: A Smith, 10: Cruden, 11: Savea, 12: Nonu, 13: C Smith, 14: Jane, 15: B Smith
Bench: 16: Mealamu, 17: Crockett, 18: Faumuina, 19: Tuipulotu, 20: Vito, 21: Perenara, 22: Barrett, 23: Fekitoa
England
1: Marler, 2: Webber, 3: Wilson, 4: Launchbury, 5: Parling, 6: Wood, 7: Robshaw (c), 8: Morgan, 9: Care, 10: Farrell, 11: Yarde, 12: Twelvetrees, 13: Burrell, 14: Tuilagi (what was he thinking?), 15: Brown
Bench: 16: Hartley, 17: Mullan, 18: Brookes, 19: Lawes, 20: Vunipola, 21: Youngs, 22: Burns, 23: Ashton

OFFICIALS
Referee: Jaco Peyper (SARU)
ARs: Nigel Owens (WRU) & Jérôme Garcès (FFR)
TMO: George Ayoub (ARU)

Last edited by OMc on Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

OMc

Back to top Go down

England v New Zealand - Test 2 (14 Jun 2014) - Page 11 Empty Re: England v New Zealand - Test 2 (14 Jun 2014)

Post by Taylorman Fri 13 Jun 2014, 6:26 pm

Morning all, off to the markets to do the fruit and vege run, chat to the locals about tonights match. 14 odd hours to the game. Staying home for this one to take it all in. Sure hoping this game lives up to its hype.

For me I like nothing more than a real challenge for our boys and this looks to have the right ingredients. All week our boys seem to have been kicking themselves into higher gears, look to have prepared well, they know they need to double and triple their efforts from last week and now I think just maybe they will.

Kiwis have really been waken up to the English challenge...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/10155643/Enough-finger-pointing-time-for-All-Black-action

Hopefully this match is one to remember!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

England v New Zealand - Test 2 (14 Jun 2014) - Page 11 Empty Re: England v New Zealand - Test 2 (14 Jun 2014)

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 13 Jun 2014, 7:10 pm

Just briefly read back a little bit, and there seems to be a Tuilagi vs. Burrell debate going on.  I don't see this as an issue, as for me our best midfield is 12. Burrell 13. Tuilagi.  The issue with that is Farrell.  I like him a lot and rate him highly, but I'm not sure he would get the best out of that centre pairing.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 13 Jun 2014, 7:14 pm

I'm expecting both a blacklash and improvements from England. Last week's game wasn't a classic but it was close on the scoreboard and intense which makes for compelling viewing. Always the possibility of getting a caning when the ABs get in full flow and they start favourites again in my book, but I think this England side is made of stern stuff and I'm expecting a close fought encounter.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 13 Jun 2014, 7:16 pm

Taylorman wrote:Morning all, off to the markets to do the fruit and vege run, chat to the locals about tonights match. 14 odd hours to the game. Staying home for this one to take it all in. Sure hoping this game lives up to its hype.

For me I like nothing more than a real challenge for our boys and this looks to have the right ingredients. All week our boys seem to have been kicking themselves into higher gears, look to have prepared well, they know they need to double and triple their efforts from last week and now I think just maybe they will.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/10155643/Enough-finger-pointing-time-for-All-Black-action

I keep hearing in the NZ press that england were constantly trying to slow the game down. Is this really the case or just the usual media guff.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 13 Jun 2014, 7:17 pm

Taylorman wrote:Morning all, off to the markets to do the fruit and vege run, chat to the locals about tonights match. 14 odd hours to the game. Staying home for this one to take it all in. Sure hoping this game lives up to its hype.

I keep hearing in the NZ press that england were constantly trying to slow the game down. Is this really the case or just the usual media guff.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Fri 13 Jun 2014, 7:21 pm

ebop wrote:Apologies for that glory'esque punchline. Wish I could take it back now. My bad.
That's it blame me for your bad jokes ebopalula. It wasn't your fault was it?

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 13 Jun 2014, 7:26 pm

nathan wrote:

Taking our time over lineouts was the main complaint. So slowing the game when the ball's dead. Apparently, it's because we're slow lumbering and need the rest. I'd err on the side of media guff myself.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Fri 13 Jun 2014, 7:49 pm

Well if nothing else it seems that Nz are taking England seriously. That has to be a plus for England and SL. I hope there is still a little complacency in the Nz camp leading to a lazy day.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 13 Jun 2014, 8:13 pm

englandglory4ever wrote:Well if nothing else it seems that Nz are taking England seriously. That has to be a plus for England and SL. I hope there is still a little complacency in the Nz camp leading to a lazy day.

Other than the last 5 minutes last week there was nothing for the AB's to be complacent about. they were matched if not beaten just about everywhere, both sides simply not finishing as they probably will tonight.

Not often our whole side gets told their position is on the line so the overall team and individual response will be fascinating for kiwis let alone what the English bring. Normally we don't have to be told twice and there was heaps to learn from last week.

Tonight is really about 3 things from last week:
- the dry pitch
- the ability of the same ABs to improve their accuracy and intensity-move up a level.
- the impact of the incoming players for England

Possibly a 4th is on the wing- Saveas return, and Manus repositioning there.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 13 Jun 2014, 8:55 pm

milkyboy wrote:
nathan wrote:

Taking our time over lineouts was the main complaint. So slowing the game when the ball's dead. Apparently, it's because we're slow lumbering and need the rest.  I'd err on the side of media guff myself.

total guff, but NZ always have to have a whine and if they lose it will be because of the drudgery style of rugby that England use blah de Frak blah

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 13 Jun 2014, 9:19 pm

Just watching the football, with radio commentary on the red button, sparing me from having to listen to mark lawrenson.

Do sky do something similar so I don't spontaneously combust when Stuart Barnes opens his mouth... Or better still a button that makes him spontaneously combust?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Fri 13 Jun 2014, 9:37 pm

Yes I find Barnes possibly the most irritating tv commentator ever. He constantly criticises England and praises the opposition. All other nations have patriotic commentators. Why can't we? Boo hoo. Whinge, whinge, whinge. He's a knob.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jun 2014, 9:39 pm

I'd like nothing more than to see an open running spectacle tonight. But I suspect it will be another slow, smothering, drudgery game. I can live with that if it's tight, tense, and 'quality' drudgery with few fumbles and forward passes. Not like the bore fest of T1.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 13 Jun 2014, 9:42 pm

ebop wrote:I'd like nothing more than to see an open running spectacle tonight. But I suspect it will be another slow, smothering, drudgery game. I can live with that if it's tight, tense, and 'quality' drudgery with few fumbles and forward passes. Not like the bore fest of T1.

Laugh I bet if NZ win, even with no tries, it won't be regarded as a bore fest….but if they lose, the NZ press will claim England were't even actually playing rugby and bored them into submission.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jun 2014, 9:47 pm

We won last game, but there were no redeeming features of the game. Hence why we gave the ABs a hard time this week. If England win, we'll congratulate them, and then go to the drawing board to figure out how to combat giving away penalties in kickable areas of the pitch.

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 13 Jun 2014, 9:48 pm

I just want to see us get more than 32 minutes of rugby out of 80.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 13 Jun 2014, 9:49 pm

Scratch wrote:
ebop wrote:I'd like nothing more than to see an open running spectacle tonight. But I suspect it will be another slow, smothering, drudgery game. I can live with that if it's tight, tense, and 'quality' drudgery with few fumbles and forward passes. Not like the bore fest of T1.

Laugh I bet if NZ win, even with no tries, it won't be regarded as a bore fest….but if they lose, the NZ press will claim England were't even actually playing rugby and bored them into submission.

hmmm...strong is the dark force of envy with this one....hmmm...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Fri 13 Jun 2014, 9:50 pm

Yeah last week had no drama it was really boring. It was only decided in the final 5 minutes. Really, really boring. Nz must be looking forward to a cake walk in test 2. They only have to turn up and its in the bag.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 13 Jun 2014, 9:54 pm

Taylorman wrote:
Scratch wrote:

mmmm….drudgery is the main word think of i do about your reply

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 13 Jun 2014, 9:57 pm

Scratch wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Scratch wrote:

thats because drudgery is common to people in dark places...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 13 Jun 2014, 9:58 pm

Scratch wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Scratch wrote:

Good syntax.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:00 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Scratch wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Scratch wrote:

Good syntax.

oh very dear.  picard picard 

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:00 pm

Taylorman wrote:
Scratch wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Scratch wrote:

thats because drudgery is common to people in dark places...

and will go nicely with an all black shirt after this weekend  thumbsup 

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:05 pm

Actually, drudgery is a new term to me, we don't use it a lot down here so forgive me if I used it out of context or spelt it wrong Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:09 pm

Glad we've passed something onto you ebop... You'll probably drop it of course

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:11 pm

ebop wrote:Actually, drudgery is a new term to me, we don't use it a lot down here so forgive me if I used it out of context or spelt it wrong Wink

you see it a lot in most of our other sports ebop...

anyway...all geared up for tonight? Laurie? almost feels like the enclosed stadium will have a claustrophobic feel with all that energy busting to get out. Really looking forward to this one. And great to have England come down in good numbers, talent and really turning it on here.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:13 pm

ebop wrote:Actually, drudgery is a new term to me, we don't use it a lot down here so forgive me if I used it out of context or spelt it wrong Wink

I am pretty sure after this weekend it will be a word for ever associated with English rugby by the Kiwi press so allow me to elucidate it for you

'Reading the NZ press comments about england's rugby last weekend is pure drudgery'
'Hearing how NZ lost in the 2007 RWC because the ref was corrupt/stupid/both (delete as appropriate) is the epitome of drudgery'

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:14 pm

Bit unsavoury Scratch my man. OK the Kiwi press (and some fans) can be a bit smug at times, but they're damn good, and rugby is a far far better sport for them around...and mainly showing us how to do it!

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:18 pm

Definition of drudgery: 29-7.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:19 pm

Hood83 wrote:Bit unsavoury Scratch my man. OK the Kiwi press (and some fans) can be a bit smug at times, but they're damn good, and rugby is a far far better sport for them around...and mainly showing us how to do it!

ebop brought it up and since it allegations of drudgery have been emanating from NZ I am not sure why it is unsavory to point out that when NZ got rocked elements of their fans/press always find some way to explain it and in doing so are ungracious…there are also reports of fans being racist now! If it isn't bad food, a bad ref or a bad style of rugby there is always a reason why they lost and even in victory on this occasion they have been ungracious. It's called poor sportsmanship and that is unsavory.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:20 pm

I have also noticed that on this site the minute you criticize NZ in any way, some NZ posters take it very very seriously and start throwing toys…we will see.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:22 pm

Taylorman wrote:

you see it a lot in most of our other sports ebop...

anyway...all geared up for tonight? Laurie? almost feels like the enclosed stadium will have a claustrophobic feel with all that energy busting to get out. Really looking forward to this one. And great to have England come down in good numbers, talent and really turning it on here.

Im going to be watching it like a dog watching a man whos about to throw a stick.

Lets just see more accuracy with the ball, and not throw away those scoring opportunities.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:26 pm

Scratch wrote:
Hood83 wrote:Bit unsavoury Scratch my man. OK the Kiwi press (and some fans) can be a bit smug at times, but they're damn good, and rugby is a far far better sport for them around...and mainly showing us how to do it!

ebop brought it up and since it allegations of drudgery have been emanating from NZ I am not sure why it is unsavory to point out that when NZ got rocked elements of their fans/press always find some way to explain it and in doing so are ungracious…there are also reports of fans being racist now! If it isn't bad food, a bad ref or a bad style of rugby there is always a reason why they lost and even in victory on this occasion they have been ungracious. It's called poor sportsmanship and that is unsavory.

Difficult to get tone across in email but mine was sort of 'come on pal, let's all be friends' rather than meaning to sound accusatory.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:32 pm

Hey hood, we're all friends here, I was just doing the obligatory mention of England and drudgery in the same sentence thing to get us going on game day. If I'm honest, this is going to be a big game tonight no matter what.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:40 pm

Hood83 wrote:
Scratch wrote:

Difficult to get tone across in email but mine was sort of 'come on pal, let's all be friends' rather than meaning to sound accusatory.

for some strange reason - maybe its because it is friday 13th - i feel defensive about england, they are playing well and deserve respect…just hope the Manu wing expt works and england get the dominance they will need up front

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:44 pm

Scratch wrote:
Hood83 wrote:
Scratch wrote:

for some strange reason - maybe its because it is friday 13th - i feel defensive about england, they are playing well and deserve respect…just hope the Manu wing expt works and england get the dominance they will need up front

well for a start you could probably do yourself a favour and work out what day it is, its Saturady the 14th.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:47 pm

Scratch wrote:

As a neutral observer of tomorrow's match, I think some (not all!) fans and media supporters of NZ are like that because their side is nearly always the justifiable favourite to win a game. Losing or even a below-par performance are hard to believe, so 'conspiracy-type' excuses are looked for and found. The fact that NZ invariably bounce back with a big performance in the next game 'proves' to them that the excuses were correct. If England had a record of wins like NZ's over the last 100 years, I dare say some of their fans and media would be the same.

Last edited by optimist on Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:47 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Scratch wrote:
Hood83 wrote:
Scratch wrote:

well for a start you could probably do yourself a favour and work out what day it is, its Saturady the 14th.

not in canada it isn't!!!!!

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:48 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Scratch wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Scratch wrote:

Good syntax.
i think you missed the yoda reference

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:50 pm

am a bit sceptical about hansen's much vaunted "everyone's place is on the line" BS.

how many of the AB matchday squad are seriously worried about being dropped completely? 12 months ahead of a RWC? exactly...not all that many.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri 13 Jun 2014, 11:06 pm

ebop wrote:Hey hood, we're all friends here, I was just doing the obligatory mention of England and drudgery in the same sentence thing to get us going on game day. If I'm honest, this is going to be a big game tonight no matter what.

That's what I was going for!  thumbsup 

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 13 Jun 2014, 11:11 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Scratch wrote:
Hood83 wrote:
Scratch wrote:

strange, i thought it was Saturday the 14th

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jun 2014, 11:16 pm

Hood83 wrote:
ebop wrote:Hey hood, we're all friends here, I was just doing the obligatory mention of England and drudgery in the same sentence thing to get us going on game day. If I'm honest, this is going to be a big game tonight no matter what.

For sure hood, you guys are good sports Hug 

I'll be donned in my flax skirt tonight with spear in hand and eyes glued to the tv. No one knows what will happen tonight just like we didn't know before T1. It's what test rugby should be. Love it, waiting all week for it, reading all the articles, filtering the crap, trying to get a feeling what may happen. But no one knows for sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 13 Jun 2014, 11:36 pm

ebop wrote:
Hood83 wrote:

I'll be donned in my flax skirt tonight with spear in hand and eyes glued to the tv. No one knows what will happen tonight just like we didn't know before T1. It's what test rugby should be. Love it, waiting all week for it, reading all the articles, filtering the crap, trying to get a feeling what may happen. But no one knows for sure.

That's a big turnaround from

I'd like nothing more than to see an open running spectacle tonight. But I suspect it will be another slow, smothering, drudgery game. I can live with that if it's tight, tense, and 'quality' drudgery with few fumbles and forward passes. Not like the bore fest of T1.

Opened the wine perchance?

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 14 Jun 2014, 12:26 am

ebop wrote:
Hood83 wrote:

You're a natural ebop...no shield! love it.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Sat 14 Jun 2014, 1:26 am

englandglory4ever wrote:Gunner, I do like to inject a little humour in most of my posts. After all its only a game. Nice to know I've got you smiling again. Its quite good eh. Now you can put your spear down and relax.

I can never really relax on test day eng-glory. With or without a spear.

Its test matches like today that really excite a fan.
Game 2 of a 3 match series. Aside from the scoreboard, honours were even last Saturday.
Im expecting a similarly tight game tonight.
ABs will wanna be much more physical in forwards. I cant see us dropping so much ball today.
Im surprised that SL has put Tuilagi on wing. He has dominated our midfield last 2 times hes played us.
I thought Eng set pieces were excellent last week.
As for talk of Eng slowing down the game... I believe you play to the whistle. The ref never told Eng to speed up
so they are entiled to play as they see fit. Thats what makes rugby a bit different. There is quite a lot of ref interpretation in
the laws of rugby that separate it from other sports.

Anyway. Enjoy the game today guys. Its gonna be a real test!

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 Jun 2014, 1:34 am

Hehe, you'll be in your standard kiwi outfit to eh Tman? Sorry for not using appropriate Maori terms.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 14 Jun 2014, 1:59 am

All good ebop I'll be throwing the kitchen sink at them if the spears dont work anyway!

From a rugby perspective an England win sets us all up for another cracker next week but I can't bring myself to wish for that from an AB perspective.

For me its all about 'stuff'.

Stuff is going to happen tonight. Lots of stuff. The AB's win matches mainly through doing stuff. And after doing stuff all last week they'll all be looking to do stuff this week. And lots of it.

For England to win they'll more likely have to do more stuff than the AB's rather than largely stopping them doing their stuff. That wont work. England will need to finish because its likely the AB's will, certainly more than last week.

You going Gunner? Must be a nice ground to watch at knowing the raincoats not going to be needed!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat 14 Jun 2014, 4:33 am

Taylorman wrote:All good ebop I'll be throwing the kitchen sink at them if the spears dont work anyway!

From a rugby perspective an England win sets us all up for another cracker next week but I can't bring myself to wish for that from an AB perspective.

Stuff is going to happen tonight. Lots of stuff. The AB's win matches mainly through doing stuff. And after doing stuff all last week they'll all be looking to do stuff this week. And lots of it.

For England to win they'll more likely have to do more stuff than the AB's rather than largely stopping them doing their stuff. That wont work. England will need to finish because its likely the AB's will, certainly more than last week.

You going Gunner? Must be a nice ground to watch at knowing the raincoats not going to be needed!

all stuff and nonsense T man!!!!

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Sat 14 Jun 2014, 7:00 am

Taylorman wrote:All good ebop I'll be throwing the kitchen sink at them if the spears dont work anyway!

Im not in NZ so sadly miss out on game T-Man.
2.30pm kick off here so just about to head down to the pub and watch.
Saturday afternoon test rugby.
You cant beat it.

y

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next