The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Zealand v England 3rd test & the 2nd test review

+70
geoff999rugby
Chjw131
Frankston
SimonofSurrey
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
EnglishReign
trebellbobaggins
BamBam
Knackeredknees
majesticimperialman
nathan
AFewTooManyKnocks
sad_gimp
Otagolad
Hood83
wales606
Pal Joey
nobbled
Biltong
kingelderfield
Metal Tiger
Manu's Boxing Coach
Barney McGrew did it
robbo277
Jimpy
aitchw
cb
Portnoy's Complaint
Cowshot
offload
formerly known as Sam
killer938
wam
jelly
andyi
propdavid_london
MMaaxx
WELL-PAST-IT
HammerofThunor
B91212
hugehandoff
englishborn
Scrumpy
Geordie
emack2
No 7&1/2
kiakahaaotearoa
George Carlin
Scratch
Rugby Fan
Gunner
quinsforever
englandglory4ever
lostinwales
DaveM
king_carlos
Poorfour
Sgt_Pooly
SecretFly
timhen
sickofwendy
milkyboy
bedfordwelsh
yappysnap
nganboy
doctor_grey
aucklandlaurie
Taylorman
Big
blackcanelion
74 posters

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

Go down

New Zealand v England 3rd test & the 2nd test review - Page 17 Empty New Zealand v England 3rd test & the 2nd test review

Post by blackcanelion Sun 15 Jun 2014, 7:23 am

First topic message reminder :

1000 posts and the 2nd test thread is blocked time to move onto the 3rd test in Hamilton.

What are England's chances of securing a win?
Could NZ win convincingly?
Will it be close again?
Who will play?
How much will the referee affect the game?

Let the banter begin..................

Oh, and feel free to discuss test's 1 and 2.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

New Zealand v England 3rd test & the 2nd test review - Page 17 Empty Re: New Zealand v England 3rd test & the 2nd test review

Post by geoff999rugby Sun 22 Jun 2014, 10:20 am

One thing Stuart Barnes said (and therefore must be taken with a pinch of salt) is the England team believe they are man for man as good as New Zealand.

They need to disabuse themselves of that pronto - they are not and they wont be by the WC.
(For the avoidance of any doubt no one is - other teams have a better front row and the Aussie backs are at least the NZ's equal but all 15? -  no one comes close)
However they are not unbeatable and some teams, of which England are one, have the ability to give them a game if they play to their strengths.
England need to recognize where they are and what they have and they have a chance - beating the NZ at their own game isn't the way to go.

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

New Zealand v England 3rd test & the 2nd test review - Page 17 Empty Re: New Zealand v England 3rd test & the 2nd test review

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 22 Jun 2014, 11:19 am

Wise words geoff. One thing that was noticeable about the English boys is that they do not fear NZ. They have lived with them in recent matches and never allowed NZ to pull away. Until yesterday's game. I liked that attitude and it is in a way what makes England a formidable opponent for the RWC. They will believe in themselves and they will genuinely believe they can win.

The way they must treat yesterday is an aberration. They didn't get selections right and they didn't get tactics right. So get the selections right in November and get the tactics right and approach the game thinking this is the way we need to play to win and execute that plan. None of this we can play NZ at their own high tempo game because you can't. Nobody can. Stick to what will work best for England as well as negating what works for NZ. That's what England, SA at Eden Park and Ireland showed in particular in the past few games. Give NZ space and you look as though you have 15 Ashtons on the field.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 22 Jun 2014, 11:32 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Give NZ space and you look as though you have 15 Ashtons on the field.

Ouch! Sizzle. That's bound to get a few Great Whites hovering around your shark cage, kia. Do not drop the drugs prod!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sun 22 Jun 2014, 11:57 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Give NZ space and you look as though you have 15 Ashtons on the field.

Absolute carp. We only have 3 or 4. Or if you take into account how Ashton Ashton is, then maybe the equivalent of 5.

Ashton is definitely an Ashton. So is Yarde. Ickle Kyle struggles to reach beyond knee height. And Burns is a little suspect.

And Burrell looked spooked in the 2nd test.

So that’s 6 then.

Then you have to take into account the deliberate game-plan of defending narrow, so as to taunt teams to go wide. Forgetting of course that that is what the AB’s excel at.

So including the coaches game-plan that’s an equivalent of 10 Ashtons. Definitely not 15 though.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 22 Jun 2014, 12:02 pm

So you too prescribe to this 10-man rugby theory then?  Very Happy 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 22 Jun 2014, 12:06 pm

5 man rugby. The Ashtons don't count.

Last edited by HammerofThunor on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 22 Jun 2014, 12:10 pm

I wouldn't argue that giving NZ space is suicide, but I'm not sure I completely buy into this traditional values rugby stuff. When you have the ball, you need to play whatever style of rugby you believe will get you the most points... With the obvious caveat that you don't risk giving the ball back cheaply. At the moment, England are a threat with the ball in hand, but too many poor decisions result in chances not being taken and half chances being over-pressured into mistakes.

England have tried chucking the ball around for years but usually to static 'runners', and our support play has been way behind the top sides. This set of players are better at it, but not to the level of the very best. The game management comes down to individuals taking risks under pressure and trying moves that either their skill level, or more often, the specific situation doesn't warrant.

Personally I don't think that means you stop trying. I think it means you take confidence from the chances created and hope that team work and experience improves your conversion rates.

Top class sport turns on very small margins. We were mullered yesterday on an unfamiliar backline's defensive skills and organisation. Tries were walked in off first phase ball. It had f-all to do with the brand of rugby.

There's nothing wrong with England playing expansive rugby, but it's picking the time and place. I think the side lacks a bit of leadership on general.. Panic set in through the whole side in the first half yesterday, when some cool heads were needed.

A better side than us, with way more experience playing at home beat us in some competitive games. So, on the back of that, we go back to grunt rugby?

No thanks, I like what we're trying to do, the more we try it, the better we'll get.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 22 Jun 2014, 12:21 pm

milkyboy wrote:I wouldn't argue that giving NZ space is suicide, but I'm not sure I completely buy into this traditional values rugby stuff. When you have the ball, you need to play whatever style of rugby you believe will get you the most points... With the obvious caveat that you don't risk giving the ball back cheaply. At the moment, England are a threat with the ball in hand, but too many poor decisions result in chances not being taken and half chances being over-pressured into mistakes.

England have tried chucking the ball around for years but usually to static 'runners', and our support play has been way behind the top sides. This set of players are better at it, but not to the level of the very best. The game management comes down to individuals taking risks under pressure and trying moves that either their skill level, or more often, the specific situation doesn't warrant.

Personally I don't think that means you stop trying. I think it means you take confidence from the chances created and hope that team work and experience improves your conversion rates.

Top class sport turns on very small margins. We were mullered yesterday on an unfamiliar backline's defensive skills and organisation. Tries were walked in off first phase ball. It had f-all to do with the brand of rugby.

There's nothing wrong with England playing expansive rugby, but it's picking the time and place. I think the side lacks a bit of leadership on general.. Panic set in through the whole side in the first half yesterday, when some cool heads were needed.

A better side than us, with way more experience playing at home beat us in some competitive games. So, on the back of that, we go back to grunt rugby?

No thanks, I like what we're trying to do, the more we try it, the better we'll get.

I think i'm somewhere between your opinion and Kia's. We can't beat them at their game, but we should look to get closer to it, the best teams including the ABs are 'all court' and can win in different ways (except via a drop goal :-) ) . Looking again though I think we lost it as much in the forwards. We need to address a lack of ball carriers (I think selections can help with this), aggressive defenders and intelligent rucking (i.e. knowing when to go in or not). And we need forwards who are willing and able to make hard yards round the fringes to suck in defenders. This is much closer to the 'traditional' rugby we've played. The danger is in trying to play high tempo ball in hand we're forgetting some of our previous strengths.

Incidentally I think high tempo is the way for us to go, certainly in defence. Let's bolster our strengths as well as working on our weaknesses though, otherwise we'll end up being just OK at everything.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 22 Jun 2014, 12:22 pm

How close are we to turning 'Ashton' into a verb.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sun 22 Jun 2014, 12:23 pm

milkyboy wrote:I wouldn't argue that giving NZ space is suicide,

It is if you're expecting Yarde and Ashton to defend the wide spaces. There was one comedy moment when they both defended the same wing...badly. Having 2 of your back 3 not able to make those tackles is guaranteeing tries. Mind you in the 3rd test the damage was done in the mid-field as the AB FH and centre's were creating the space before it even got to the wings.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Jun 2014, 12:51 pm

Do English clubs play like how SL wants England to play, in general? Thanks for the riveting series by the way, best for a long time for us:)

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 22 Jun 2014, 12:58 pm

ebop wrote:Do English clubs play like how SL wants England to play, in general? Thanks for the riveting series by the way, best for a long time for us:)

It's a good question. I don't have an answer, but do the Kiwi teams? I don't watch as much as I'd like but it feels like there is a more 'common culture' through the teams. A friend tried to explain to me that actually there are differences, with some much more focused on the breakdown, others the set piece, but I couldn't spot it myself, or at least not noticeably. It seemed much more uniform (in a good sense). Must make a massive difference to have that familiarity come AB time if so.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 22 Jun 2014, 1:18 pm

ebop wrote:Do English clubs play like how SL wants England to play, in general? Thanks for the riveting series by the way, best for a long time for us:)
It doesn't work that way.

I recall Biltong saying recently that he wants South African teams to take a leaf out of New Zealand's book and adopt uniform practices in Super Rugby to assist the national side.

You can't do that in England and you probably wouldn't want to either. The English and French leagues are self contained. If all teams played roughly the same way, then you'd have a fairly dull competition. Part of the enjoyment is watching one team's rugby culture and style take on another.

It makes things tricky for a national coach. At best, England might be able to get a club to play someone in their preferred position. In practice, not even that can be guaranteed. If Lancaster wanted Leicester to play Tuilagi on the wing, I doubt if they would. Lancaster would probably have liked Eastmond to have seem more action but it's up to Bath. Bath will also decide how to use Sam Burgess, regardless of what the England coaches might like.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 22 Jun 2014, 1:28 pm

Wasn't there talk that England were going to contribute to the purchase of burgess and have some say in his position... Then they decided they couldn't/shouldn't so bath are looking at playing him in the back row, not inside centre?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 22 Jun 2014, 1:47 pm

milkyboy wrote:Wasn't there talk that England were going to contribute to the purchase of burgess and have some say in his position... Then they decided they couldn't/shouldn't so bath are looking at playing him in the back row, not inside centre?

I really hope they do play him at 6. Different topic I know but I feel there's potential at 12, even more so with Devoto, we just need to persevere.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 22 Jun 2014, 2:47 pm

Rugby Fan wrote: If all teams played roughly the same way, then you'd have a fairly dull competition. Part of the enjoyment is watching one team's rugby culture and style take on another.

You would think so RF and generally all NZ sides play similar rugby- same as the ABs right through really. Its all faced paced, have a go stuff and our 5 SXV sides are more or less the same. That definitely helps our ABs in that theyre all on a similar page.

But within the different sides there is considerable variation due to the individual players that make up the side, including the coaching styles. I wouldnt mind the odd side based on a Bok style approach but thats just never gonna happen. Its too ingrained for now. But we think theres enough variation.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Sun 22 Jun 2014, 2:56 pm

After such a poor series for England it is easy to throw out the baby with the bathwater. England were away and couldn't start with their strongest team. This led to no consistency for the other two tests. To be fair they were also on the wrong end of a few dodgy ref decisions in the first test. I also think the coaches panicked and made poor selections in tests 2 and 3. 

I firmly believe England can beat that Nz side but will need home advantage and no mistakes in selection. 

Ashton must never be selected again. Eastmond is also just no where near good enough and Burns isn't either.

Yarde, May and Nowell are raw talents that look flaky to me also. BUT who else is going to step up?

The pack is good enough with some key players returning. Care and Farrell are key also.

Home advantage and the A side should be able to do the business but it would still be very close.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 22 Jun 2014, 2:56 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
It doesn't work that way.

I recall Biltong saying recently that he wants South African teams to take a leaf out of New Zealand's book and adopt uniform practices in Super Rugby to assist the national side.

You can't do that in England and you probably wouldn't want to either. The English and French leagues are self contained. If all teams played roughly the same way, then you'd have a fairly dull competition. Part of the enjoyment is watching one team's rugby culture and style take on another.

It makes things tricky for a national coach. At best, England might be able to get a club to play someone in their preferred position. In practice, not even that can be guaranteed. If Lancaster wanted Leicester to play Tuilagi on the wing, I doubt if they would. Lancaster would probably have liked Eastmond to have seem more action but it's up to Bath. Bath will also decide how to use Sam Burgess, regardless of what the England coaches might like.
Not really uniform practices, but rather improve country wide on the attitude in regards to varying attacking play.

We can't just kick ball away like the Bulls, Sharks and Stormers and only attack within the opponents half.

The Lions and Cheetahs try to keep ball in hand more.

We need to have our teams be less predictable on attack, less one off runners and shifting the point of attack more, and selecting a few more playmakers, like a Willie le Roux
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 22 Jun 2014, 4:26 pm

Milkyboy I'm not advocating England going back to a SA type approach of the past few years. I'm just saying when NZ have the ball, don't give them space. The England defence was too passive and didn't come up to meet the NZ defence. There wasn't the intensity in the forwards. That's not got anything to do with how England use their own ball. I was impressed by the interplay of the English loosies in the first test and England can definitely add that to their backline more like we saw with the Tuilagi offload in the second test.

SA too are trying to get a more blended approach on attack but on defence you must be in their faces. Look at the tests of late between Ireland, Australia, SA, England and France. When those teams close down the space of NZ and put points on the board, they place NZ under pressure. When they don't, NZ score quick, easy tries and all the pressure is relieved.

You can pick and choose what you do on attack but when on defence, you stand back at your peril against NZ. They're not the only side by any means. Look at what France did when they got in the faces of the Wallabies and look at what happened when they stood back and gave them momentum. Look at what happened in the last few minutes against France when England afforded them space. It's just that if you do that against NZ, they will invariably score against you and don't need many second invitations.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 22 Jun 2014, 5:37 pm

Wouldn't argue with that Kia. My post wasn't specifically aimed at yours, there's been a few voices across a variety of media suggesting England go back to sticking it up their jumpers. There's a place for that, but if you want to be the best you have to learn from and often to some degree emulate the best.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 22 Jun 2014, 6:20 pm

Indeed. It's getting the blend right and being able to adapt in a game and having at your disposal a wide ranging arsenal. SA will probably try for a blend of the Eden Park and Ellis Park tests against NZ. Opening up too much undid them in Joburg and trying to be too confrontational - regardless of the yellow card fiasco - was able to be withstood by NZ. It's knowing when to try things out wide and when to keep it up close. I was impressed by the offloading of the loose forwards by England and Launchbury in the last test showed with his offload to Youngs that type of play can break the defensive line without that much risk. But you have to be able to control the pace of the game well and that's what England did well in the first test as well as being able to be creative on attack. As the series progressed, however, England were less in control of how they wanted to play the game and the 20 mins in the second test and 40 minutes in the first took the game away from them. That wasn't so much their attack but, rather, their defence that fell away during those moments.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 22 Jun 2014, 8:11 pm

Neutralee wrote:Anyone else very disappointed in brown, he had 1 good game in the 6n and was lauded as world class but has done nothing to back it up
Hmm, it took me a while to work out who this poster was. Got it now!

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sun 22 Jun 2014, 8:19 pm

I`m not aware of the NH club scene except at a peripheral level but the workload is horrendous.What you DON` T do is send players to NZ when fatigued or carrying injuries

Historically you may catch NZ cold in the 1st match of a series,the 2nd they will
be stronger,the 3 rd often a blowout.
Englands side in my opinion in the First test played so well because they had no
pressure on them.Everyone[except maybe myself] expected a blow out,they were
out to prove personal points.They deserved to be considered as starting players,
playing 15 men not Supermen.In that they succeeded as to the hype about RWC
markers that was irrelevant.#
Next year the team squads may be very different,a more conservative game plan
adopted.Certainly you can expect 4Ns games to be sacrificed for the so called
holy grail[a practice which frankly stinks].Injurys of course will be a factor too.
Expectations of Home advantage being great on SH sides in Nh doesn't cut
much ice.
England may well fail to proceed from there group it`s that close.Wales record
v England is always about equal.Australia always seem to get it up for RWCs
and is played under SH rules i.e bonus points.
It may well come down to how the sides go against the other sides in the group
to decide it it`s that close.
Nz have the easiest Group and should win it as usual and will be under cooked.
This year and next Nz will lose matchs almost certainly every runends sometime.
and 6-0 3/4 Ns in the 3 of the last 4 is highly unlikely.
France recently have been so poor who can judge Australia on it and SA have had
mixed fortunes too.
ALL will be better come August and injuries and cover will decide the 4Ns again

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 22 Jun 2014, 8:23 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Indeed. It's getting the blend right and being able to adapt in a game and having at your disposal a wide ranging arsenal. SA will probably try for a blend of the Eden Park and Ellis Park tests against NZ. Opening up too much undid them in Joburg and trying to be too confrontational - regardless of the yellow card fiasco - was able to be withstood by NZ. It's knowing when to try things out wide and when to keep it up close. I was impressed by the offloading of the loose forwards by England and Launchbury in the last test showed with his offload to Youngs that type of play can break the defensive line without that much risk. But you have to be able to control the pace of the game well and that's what England did well in the first test as well as being able to be creative on attack. As the series progressed, however, England were less in control of how they wanted to play the game and the 20 mins in the second test and 40 minutes in the first took the game away from them. That wasn't so much their attack but, rather, their defence that fell away during those moments.

It makes the next England SA match interesting. In trying to take on SA at their own game recently England have come off second best but with both sides playing a more open game that should make things interesting.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 22 Jun 2014, 8:27 pm

emack2 wrote:I`m not aware of the NH club scene except at a peripheral level but the workload is horrendous.What you DON` T do is send players to NZ when fatigued or carrying injuries

Historically you may catch NZ cold in the 1st match of a series,the 2nd they will
be stronger,the 3 rd often a blowout.
Englands side in my opinion in the First test played so well because they had no
pressure on them.Everyone[except maybe myself] expected a blow out,they were
out to prove personal points.They deserved to be considered as starting players,
playing 15 men not Supermen.In that they succeeded as to the hype about RWC
markers that was irrelevant.#
Next year the team squads may be very different,a more conservative game plan
adopted.Certainly you can expect 4Ns games to be sacrificed for the so called
holy grail[a practice which frankly stinks].Injurys of course will be a factor too.
Expectations of Home advantage being great on SH sides in Nh doesn't cut
much ice.
England may well fail to proceed from there group it`s that close.Wales record
v England is always about equal.Australia always seem to get it up for RWCs
and is played under SH rules i.e bonus points.
It may well come down to how the sides go against the other sides in the group
to decide it it`s that close.
Nz have the easiest Group and should win it as usual and will be under cooked.
This year and next Nz will lose matchs almost certainly every runends sometime.
and 6-0 3/4 Ns in the 3 of the last 4 is highly unlikely.
France recently have been so poor who can judge Australia on it and SA have had
mixed fortunes too.
ALL will be better come August and injuries and cover will decide the 4Ns again

The World cup scheduling looks to suit the SH sides more doesnt it? It looks like its smack in the middle of a period England et all arent playing. Is that about right- September next year? Thats normally when we're in the middle of the RC so thats gota suit I suppose.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 25 Jun 2014, 4:41 am

Nick Easter again

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16017_9358632,00.html

I think his analysis of these internationals has been very astute.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 25 Jun 2014, 4:07 pm

I stopped reading after "a bridge too far". However, I'll take your word for it, mate.  Wink 

Boy am I glad this series is done and dusted. So much analysis, commentary and post match reviewing but still the usual result.

Let's face it - we all (players, coaches, fans and pundits) always underestimate the fitness and street smarts of the kiwi when it's backed into its cosy swale. And we always get a ferocious peck which sends us reeling back to camp. Yepgood!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Wed 25 Jun 2014, 5:29 pm

Taylorman wrote:
The World cup scheduling looks to suit the SH sides more doesnt it? It looks like its smack in the middle of a period England et all arent playing. Is that about right- September next year? Thats normally when we're in the middle of the RC so thats gota suit I suppose.

With regards to summer and autumn tests I'd say that in the pro era the summer tests definitely favour the SH sides and the autumn tests the NH sides. The seasons are just too long in my mind and every team can suffer for it at the end.

With regards to the world cup it's swings and roundabouts in my mind... I assume that the SH teams will be doing a reduced RC in the build up, as if memory serves right they did a reduced trinations before the last one. If so that is going to make for a very demanding few weeks, even if it's one match against each it will still mean playing 3 tests shortly after the super XV and before the world cup. If they play all 6 matches it will be really tough - 13 international matches in not many more weeks possibly. NH teams may suffer for it at the group stage (and in a group with England, Wales and Australia that may prove significant) but then get some benefit if they get to the knockout stages when any rustiness/lack of match fitness should be out of the system.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 25 Jun 2014, 5:50 pm

Linebreaker wrote:I stopped reading after "a bridge too far". However, I'll take your word for it, mate.  Wink 

Boy am I glad this series is done and dusted. So much analysis, commentary and post match reviewing but still the usual result.

Let's face it - we all (players, coaches, fans and pundits) always underestimate the fitness and street smarts of the kiwi when it's backed into its cosy swale. And we always get a ferocious peck which sends us reeling back to camp. Yepgood!

Top post for this thread.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Wed 25 Jun 2014, 7:45 pm

I think everyone just underestimates how knackered our players are from about April 1st onwards.

The rugby thereafter was pretty much hobnails in treacle.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Wed 25 Jun 2014, 10:44 pm

Taylorman wrote: The World cup scheduling looks to suit the SH sides more doesnt it? It looks like its smack in the middle of a period England et all arent playing. Is that about right- September next year? Thats normally when we're in the middle of the RC so thats gota suit I suppose.

It's definitely a NH favour. It's still late in the year. NH season will finish in May, no June tour. The players get preparation for the World cup and build into the tournament following a series of warm up games. The equivalent would be the tournament in March, but no end of year tour and no super 15, but a few warm up internationals before hand. Can't ask for better preparation/timing.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 25 Jun 2014, 10:52 pm

So you think having the WC after a full season is better than towards the end of your season? If the WC was in March it would be a shed load better for the NH teams (if not the clubs in mid season, although it affecting them this year by delaying their season).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 12:02 am

SecretFly wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:I stopped reading after "a bridge too far". However, I'll take your word for it, mate.  Wink 

Top post for this thread.  
Funnily enough, if Linebreaker had read further, he'd have discovered Nick Easter agrees with him.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Thu 26 Jun 2014, 5:42 am

HammerofThunor wrote:So you think having the WC after a full season is better than towards the end of your season? If the WC was in March it would be a shed load better for the NH teams (if not the clubs in mid season, although it affecting them this year by delaying their season).

Yes. We'd get significant advantages at the same time the nh would have additional issues. It should be April/may though. That's the equivalent of September/October, with the final on the date the northern club finals are usually held (last week in may). The ab's would get a proper break and perperation. Time to recover from injuries. A full 3 or m months to prepare as a team, staged build up matches. Nh teams on the other hand would be dealing with a major tournament following on from a compressed season, with club finals occurring after the six nations. Injuries, fatigue, etc. start of the season is the optimal set up for a torment because you get you get tore pare as a team. The boks, Argentina, Samoa etc would be screwed though.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 27 Jun 2014, 1:59 am

I just think annually the ABs are at their best at RC time, mainly because thats when they have to be. So there wouldnt need to be a great shift- just move the RC earlier, though Ive no idea what the schedule is like next year.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Jun 2014, 6:33 pm

I didnt want to start a new thread just for the infamous one.

But my maths suggested england lost by 29pts  over 3 games

Has GE gone for good???

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17