The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Rocky is a Top 10 heavy

+7
Scottrf
HumanWindmill
compelling and rich
azania
Young_Towzer
BALTIMORA
Lumbering_Jack
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why Rocky is a Top 10 heavy Empty Why Rocky is a Top 10 heavy

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 23 May 2011, 7:01 pm

Brutal puncher. I doubt you will find one fighter in history who would have stood up to the punch that flattened Jersey Joe.

Never knew when he was beaten. Was dropped and being outboxed by Jersey Joe before brutally ending the fight. Lets not forget that Joe was a terrific fighter in his own right.

Undefeated having fought all contenders from his era. The fact it was not as strong as other times is not Rocky's fault. He always faced the best.

Good wins over Ezzard Charles, Louis, LaStarza and Archie Moore.

Opponents of Rocky often commented of how brutal his power was. He would punch you in the arms until you couldn't hold them up. Great tactic which puts to bed the "he was a crude plodder" statement that gets thrown around.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Why Rocky is a Top 10 heavy Empty Re: Why Rocky is a Top 10 heavy

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 23 May 2011, 7:02 pm

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 23 May 2011, 7:03 pm

Your right, he is a top 10, the main win on his record was the Apollo rematch, epic, a great guy as well 'really nice in general wouldn't you say so adrian'

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 23 May 2011, 7:05 pm

🤦

This has been done to death. There are plenty of 'Rocky' threads on here without starting another.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 23 May 2011, 7:06 pm

azania wrote: 🤦

This has been done to death. There are plenty of 'Rocky' threads on here without starting another.

Don't see any on the main page.

Why don't you throw your internet weight around and merge it then.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 23 May 2011, 7:15 pm

lumbering- there was a good one going on the dempsey v marcaino thread, mainly the whole board v az

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 23 May 2011, 7:16 pm

compelling and rich wrote:lumbering- there was a good one going on the dempsey v marcaino thread, mainly the whole board v az

Cant say im surprised the whole board disagree with Az...

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 23 May 2011, 7:23 pm

Each to his own, but I'd rather two or three Rocky threads than another two or three about the you - know - whos.

Marciano is a definite top ten, for me, and a man who truly made the best of what he had. One of the best conditioned heavies in history, with strength which belied his 185lb. or so frame, he also possessed a phenomenal will to win, unquenchable spirit, guts and heart, tremendous chin and it was all topped off with the Suzie - Q.

Wonderful fighter and a true legend, in my book.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 23 May 2011, 7:29 pm

compelling and rich wrote:lumbering- there was a good one going on the dempsey v marcaino thread, mainly the whole board v az
Yep. And I won by wide UD simply by using a jab, something Rocky didn't know existed.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 23 May 2011, 8:34 pm

azania wrote:
Yep. And I won by wide UD simply by using a jab, something Rocky didn't know existed.
47 people could tell you he didn't need to.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 23 May 2011, 8:38 pm

Scottrf wrote:
azania wrote:

I know. Its hard slipping a jab when you use a zimmerframe to help you move.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 23 May 2011, 8:39 pm

azania wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
azania wrote:
So you think he's an expert tactician who adapted his style to suit his opposition?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 23 May 2011, 8:44 pm

Boxers, swarmers, sluggers.

The three main styles in boxing. We've always had them, always will, and the contrasts inherent in those styles have made for some of the greatest fights in history.

Marciano is right up there with Dempsey, Frazier and Tyson among the greatest swarmers the heavyweight division ever had.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 23 May 2011, 8:48 pm

Scottrf wrote:
azania wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
azania wrote:
So you think he's an expert tactician who adapted his style to suit his opposition?

Yep. An absolute expert.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 23 May 2011, 8:49 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:Boxers, swarmers, sluggers.

The three main styles in boxing. We've always had them, always will, and the contrasts inherent in those styles have made for some of the greatest fights in history.

Marciano is right up there with Dempsey, Frazier and Tyson among the greatest swarmers the heavyweight division ever had.

laughing

Thanks for the laugh mate.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 23 May 2011, 8:52 pm

azania wrote:

laughing

Thanks for the laugh mate.

You could have saved me the trouble, az.

Just get yourself a Jim Beam, a bottle of creatine and watch today's fat boy heavyweights gas after three rounds. Guaranteed to tickle your funny bone.

Or just read one of your own posts about oldies.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 23 May 2011, 8:54 pm

windy who you rate out of them as the greatest swarmer then? think i would just have marciano just over dempsey. difficult one though as were not just talking about who was most successful but who fought that style the best. for that reason frazier and tyson are alot closer than normal

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 23 May 2011, 8:58 pm

Az, you sound like one of those men who say that oldies aren't as good because boxers now are technically better etc...

For a man of 180lb to carry the wack he did is tremendous. As Windy has said, he is one of the greatest swarmers to have ever existed.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 May 2011, 9:03 pm

Az owned again in one post, no need for me to do it yet again, thanks windy

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 23 May 2011, 9:06 pm

compelling and rich wrote:

windy who you rate out of them as the greatest swarmer then? think i would just have marciano just over dempsey. difficult one though as were not just talking about who was most successful but who fought that style the best. for that reason frazier and tyson are alot closer than normal

For me it's Dempsey, compelling.

Jack was the first to combine bob and weave, speed and none too shoddy footwork with raging ferocity and savagery and shuddering power in either hand. His style really was revolutionary. I know he divides opinion and I also know that there are some members here with whom I very seldom disagree who don't share my enthusiasm for Dempsey, but for me he tops the lot as a swarmer, with Marciano just behind him.

Last edited by HumanWindmill on Mon 23 May 2011, 9:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 23 May 2011, 9:06 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Az, you sound like one of those men who say that oldies aren't as good because boxers now are technically better etc...

For a man of 180lb to carry the wack he did is tremendous. As Windy has said, he is one of the greatest swarmers to have ever existed.

Cant argue with 49-0. Unless you look at who he beat and what they did after he beat them. Retired, went back to LHW or did nothing of note. That should tell you about the level of opposition. And then there's Dan Cockell.

I cant be bothered because this has been done over and over again.

Next to Patterson, Rocky was by far the worst every HW champ.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 May 2011, 9:07 pm

Frazier for me as far as the swarmers go although he does rank lower than both Marciano and Dempsey overall

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 23 May 2011, 9:07 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Az owned again in one post, no need for me to do it yet again, thanks windy

Predictable response once again. Mate, you dont own anything and have never owned anything. Self praise is no praise. boxing

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 May 2011, 9:09 pm

I've owned you more times than Holmes beat stiffs

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 23 May 2011, 9:54 pm

azania wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:Az, you sound like one of those men who say that oldies aren't as good because boxers now are technically better etc...

Cant argue with 49-0. Unless you look at who he beat and what they did after he beat them. Retired, went back to LHW or did nothing of note. That should tell you about the level of opposition. And then there's Dan Cockell.

Even allowing for your total disregard for Marciano's abilities and achievements, you've really outdone yourself if you're sincere in saying that Willard, Hart and Carnera rank ahead of Rocky. Judging by the statement, that seems to be what you think. Ridiculous, and I suspect you know it, too.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 23 May 2011, 10:00 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I've owned you more times than Holmes beat stiffs

Or Rocky beating up on old men. But if you think you've owned me, knock yourself out bro.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 23 May 2011, 10:01 pm

88Chris05 wrote:
azania wrote:

Even allowing for your total disregard for Marciano's abilities and achievements, you've really outdone yourself if you're sincere in saying that Willard, Hart and Carnera rank ahead of Rocky. Judging by the statement, that seems to be what you think. Ridiculous, and I suspect you know it, too.

OK. Top 5 worst HW champs.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 May 2011, 10:03 pm

azania wrote:

Or Rocky beating up on old men. But if you think you've owned me, knock yourself out bro.

Your right those wins are nothing compared to Ledoux, Zanon, L. Spinks, Cobb, Evangelista and losing to M. Spinks, you got me convinced brother I bow to your superior thinking and knowledge

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 23 May 2011, 10:06 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
azania wrote:

Your right those wins are nothing compared to Ledoux, Zanon, L. Spinks, Cobb, Evangelista and losing to M. Spinks, you got me convinced brother I bow to your superior thinking and knowledge

Yep. And those are all Holmes' title fights. Tell me about Joe Louis' bum of the month. You cut some slack there. Galento anyone?

But lets not forget Rocky fighting and defending against the legendary and atg, the awesome and murderous lightheavy(LHW due to an illness mind) Don Cockell. 🤦

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 May 2011, 10:11 pm

I forgot about the all time great talents that were Witherspoon, Smith and Weaver, you have so much to teach me lets just hope there's enough hours in the day because i'm a peasant of the mind compared to you

I also forgot you know all about Cockell please forgive me oh knowledgable one, I admit i'm wrong, Holmes is beyond critique and Marciano would be blown over by a strong breeze

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 23 May 2011, 10:16 pm

Yip, Az, Tyson is a top 10 heavy and Marciano is not. Crazy logic. Tyson fought some truely woeful opposition and lost numerous times, Rocky beat every fighter of not in his era yet is the worst heavy ever.

Logic on a par with D4

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 23 May 2011, 10:18 pm

Or better still Az, you rate Bowe above Lewis. Remind me, what was his opposition like?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 23 May 2011, 10:23 pm

Joe Louis' words sum it up nicely:

"It hurt to bump into him....He hits harder than Max Schmeling...this kid is tough enough to beat anyone."

He also said, "The Rock didn't know too much about the boxing book, but it wasn't a book he hit me with. It was a whole library of bone crushers."

A cracking line, that last one.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 23 May 2011, 10:34 pm

When arguably the best heavy to have lived gives Marciano a glowing statement like that it is not hard to understand why he should be so highly rated.

Many more have gave Rocky glowing statements, mostly around his punching power.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 23 May 2011, 10:40 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I forgot about the all time great talents that were Witherspoon, Smith and Weaver, you have so much to teach me lets just hope there's enough hours in the day because i'm a peasant of the mind compared to you

I also forgot you know all about Cockell please forgive me oh knowledgable one, I admit i'm wrong, Holmes is beyond critique and Marciano would be blown over by a strong breeze

The past it Walcott, Charles. The never had it Cockell and the old Light Heavy Moore. It makes Calzaghe's defences appear superhuman in comparison.

Oh Holmes can be criticised without doubt. I dont give blind support to any boxer.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 23 May 2011, 10:43 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Yip, Az, Tyson is a top 10 heavy and Marciano is not. Crazy logic. Tyson fought some truely woeful opposition and lost numerous times, Rocky beat every fighter of not in his era yet is the worst heavy ever.

Logic on a par with D4

He is. 999/1000 Tyson flattens Rocky.

Of course Tyson lost numerous times. So did Holmes, Ali, Louis, Dempsey, Foreman, Duran etc etc etc. They lost when they were past it. Unless you count Berbick beating Ali as legit. Heck if Rocky had done that, you guys would be singing its praises.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 May 2011, 10:44 pm

Nothing like labelling fighters with nothing to back it up, almost started to take you seriously before your last post which in trying to be clever showed up your complete lack of knowledge of the era.

I wont even bother trying to show why you couldn't possibly be even more wrong but I fear any added knowledge will make your superhuman brain explode

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 23 May 2011, 10:45 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Joe Louis' words sum it up nicely:

"It hurt to bump into him....He hits harder than Max Schmeling...this kid is tough enough to beat anyone."

He also said, "The Rock didn't know too much about the boxing book, but it wasn't a book he hit me with. It was a whole library of bone crushers."

A cracking line, that last one.

Ali said that Tyson would have KO'd him. Holmes said he was better than Ali. The upshot is, boxers talk a load of nonsense many times.

Cracking line that.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 23 May 2011, 10:46 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Nothing like labelling fighters with nothing to back it up, almost started to take you seriously before your last post which in trying to be clever showed up your complete lack of knowledge of the era.

I wont even bother trying to show why you couldn't possibly be even more wrong but I fear any added knowledge will make your superhuman brain explode

What on earth are you babbling on about now? Which fighter have I labelled?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 23 May 2011, 10:48 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:When arguably the best heavy to have lived gives Marciano a glowing statement like that it is not hard to understand why he should be so highly rated.

Many more have gave Rocky glowing statements, mostly around his punching power.

Ali was better and he said that Tyson would have knocked him out.

Tua had crippling punch power also. That's about all he had. Ditto Rocky.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 23 May 2011, 10:49 pm

I'll add that Tua would probably have KO'd rocky also. Just too fast for the plodding slow punching guy.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 May 2011, 10:49 pm

Your clearly on a wind up so I wont even bother correcting you although i'm still laughing at the fact you've yet to correct your Cockell comment but while it's still there just highlights your lack of knowledge.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 23 May 2011, 10:52 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Your clearly on a wind up so I wont even bother correcting you although i'm still laughing at the fact you've yet to correct your Cockell comment but while it's still there just highlights your lack of knowledge.

Oh you mean my comment (incorrect) about Cockell growing into a LHW because of illness? My bad. I didn't want to correct it. Yeah, he grew into a HW because of an illness.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 23 May 2011, 10:52 pm

azania wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:Yip, Az, Tyson is a top 10 heavy and Marciano is not. Crazy logic. Tyson fought some truely woeful opposition and lost numerous times, Rocky beat every fighter of not in his era yet is the worst heavy ever.

Logic on a par with D4

Of course Tyson lost numerous times. So did Holmes, Ali, Louis, Dempsey, Foreman, Duran etc etc etc. They lost when they were past it. Unless you count Berbick beating Ali as legit. Heck if Rocky had done that, you guys would be singing its praises.

The clear, and crucial, difference being that Rocky faced every fighter available to him and won. Tyson crumbled against Buster Douglas. Rocky would have tucked him away without issue.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 May 2011, 10:53 pm

That's better Az your learning slowly but surely

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 23 May 2011, 10:54 pm

azania wrote:I'll add that Tua would probably have KO'd rocky also. Just too fast for the plodding slow punching guy.

Oh dear...

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 23 May 2011, 10:56 pm

Fellas, can't you see Az is CLEARLY on a wind-up?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 23 May 2011, 10:57 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
azania wrote:

Logic on a par with D4

The clear, and crucial, difference being that Rocky faced every fighter available to him and won. Tyson crumbled against Buster Douglas. Rocky would have tucked him away without issue.

Yep. Shocking loss by tyson. No matter. He was still better than Rocky by miles. 999/1000 he would have KO'd the plodding Rocky. Probably in 1 round also. Less than a minute actually. I would actually fear for Rocky's life.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 May 2011, 10:57 pm

Which is why I humour him Balti, care for the community and all that

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 23 May 2011, 10:57 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
azania wrote:I'll add that Tua would probably have KO'd rocky also. Just too fast for the plodding slow punching guy.

Oh dear...

Sorry but dont call me dear! Shocked

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next