The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rod who???

+5
Gerry SA
hazharrison
TRUSSMAN66
catchweight
quentins_monkey
9 posters

Go down

Rod who??? Empty Rod who???

Post by quentins_monkey Thu 03 Jul 2014, 10:18 am

I might be a bit behind on this but just seen on Boxingscene that Danny Garcia is to be fighting Rod Salka in his next bout on Aug 9.

Has anyone got any idea who this guy is? I hadn't heard of him before reading the article and his record doesn't exactly suggest he's going to offer up anything other than someone to make Garcia look good following his awful showing against Herrera last time out... Sad

quentins_monkey

Back to top Go down

Rod who??? Empty Re: Rod who???

Post by catchweight Thu 03 Jul 2014, 10:51 am

The Matthysse fight seems to have taken a lot out of Garcia

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jul 2014, 10:56 am

catchweight wrote:The Matthysse fight seems to have taken a lot out of Garcia
In total agreement!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 03 Jul 2014, 11:00 am

Dirty cherrypicker..............

Not like the good old days..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jul 2014, 11:25 am

Aye, bring back the days of John L. Sullivan and his ilk (thinly veiled effort to shoehorn Peter Jackson) into the forum.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 03 Jul 2014, 11:40 am

He's a bit snookered for opponents. Provodnikov, Rios and Alvarado are all on the wrong side of the TV divide (I'm not sure what Algieri's position is).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 03 Jul 2014, 11:50 am

Jackson got a gift against Corbett......

Bob Mee say's he's overrated and that's good enough for me !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by quentins_monkey Thu 03 Jul 2014, 11:51 am

DAVE667 wrote:
catchweight wrote:The Matthysse fight seems to have taken a lot out of Garcia
In total agreement!

He does seem to be picking fairly light punchers since the Matthysse fight based on their records, with Salka managing to KO an incredible 3 people in 19 wins... Salka has only fought once at LWW, a loss to Ricardo Alvarez... Hardly the sort of person you could argue deserves a shot at a title... disgraceful.

quentins_monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 03 Jul 2014, 11:53 am

Danny Garcia vs Lamont Peterson is pencilled in for November/December. Unification for WBC/WBA/IBF/Linear.

Both are having a tune up bout ahead of their divisional showdown.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 03 Jul 2014, 12:03 pm

I cant believe Peterson still has the IBF title. After a defeat AND a failed drug test!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 03 Jul 2014, 12:18 pm

Well Angel admitted when the Herrera fight was signed that Garcia's team were conscious of taking a slightly kids gloves approach with him in the aftermath of the Matthysse fight - and even that fight almost went jubblies up for him. Did Matthysse take something out of him, was Herrera just a lot better than we all thought or was Garcia more interested in trying to break through to the Puerto Rican market in his first fight on the island and taking his man lightly?

Hard to be totally sure either way and Salka probably won't be able to give us an answer.

Disappointed that Garcia and his team seem to be switching their focus to Peterson instead of a Matthysse rematch, which would be the obvious next step for Danny if a) he’s shelved those plans to move up to 147 that he was talking about last year, and b) the blockade between Golden Boy / Showtime and Top Tank / HBO persists. The first fight was Garcia’s career-best win and performance so far, but still close enough and with enough speculation about different permutations to make the rematch a big event and success.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 03 Jul 2014, 12:27 pm

Smart move though Chris isn't it...

Petersen is there for the taking and another belt always adds to your marketability....

Forgetting the cheap WBO strap...Pretty much makes him Undisputed champion in the alphabet stakes..

Must add to his earning capacity..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 03 Jul 2014, 12:42 pm

Definitely Truss, in an age where the titles are often so splintered unifying belts does still hold plenty of weight. But obviously in this case it's a bit misleading and probably a bit of a ploy in a way, as well.

Still, Garcia seem set to stay put at 140 for the time being and I definitely don't see Matthysse going up to Welter in the near future, either, so with a bit of luck we'll still get Matthysse-Garcia II a bit further down the line.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jul 2014, 1:12 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Jackson got a gift against Corbett......

Bob Mee say's he's overrated and that's good enough for me !!
B*ll*cks, it was even stevens for 25 rounds then tailed of until it was finally called a no-contest....if Jackson was going to get a gift, it would have been the rematch promised to him by Corbett who then reneged on the deal but wasn't even stripped of the title "Gentleman". Pr!ck...

Bob Mee is a fool and anyone paying attention to him, especially when it comes to running down Peter Jackson, is a horse's ar$e!!!

....and relaaaaaaaax........

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 03 Jul 2014, 1:17 pm

Windy was there in his pink dress and said Corbett was schooling him.....

Maybe with the standard of referees.....We should have Cops stopping fights these days ...

Then again after Leveson maybe we'll stick as we are !! Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Thu 03 Jul 2014, 1:38 pm

I think after his close encounter with Herrera, Garcia is marking time waiting for the Mayweather slot, possibly next May.
The 'undefeated Garcia' sells much better than just 'Garcia'.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jul 2014, 2:00 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Windy was there in his pink dress and said Corbett was schooling him.....

Maybe with the standard of referees.....We should have Cops stopping fights these days ...

Then again after Leveson maybe we'll stick as we are !! Cool 
Cheap shot as you know I'm loathe to speak ill of anyone but dear old Windy was probably too busy bemoaning the fact that the gloved era was for namby pamby fancy dans to actually pay attention to the pugilistic magnificence of Peter. Therefore it's with a heavy heart that I'm forced to dismiss his opinion as buffoonery bordering on quarter-wittery

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 03 Jul 2014, 2:45 pm

hazharrison wrote:He's a bit snookered for opponents. Provodnikov, Rios and Alvarado are all on the wrong side of the TV divide (I'm not sure what Algieri's position is).

I'm sure Lucas would make himself available!

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum