The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henson not offered new Toulon contract

+7
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
ospreylian
Breadvan
Notch
red_stag
Cari
Adam D
11 posters

Go down

Henson not offered new Toulon contract Empty Henson not offered new Toulon contract

Post by Adam D Tue 24 May 2011, 10:26 am

From WALESONLINE.CO.UK

Gavin Henson will not be offered a new contract with Toulon next season, according to reports in France.

The 29-year-old, who joined the Top 14 club in February, recently served a one-week suspension for a nightclub brawl with team-mates and had been waiting to discover whether he would be welcome back next term.

Despite not being sacked by the club following th emuch-publicised incident, Henson will now need to find a new club as he looks to rebuild his rugby career.

The former Ospreys star, who has been recalled to the Wales squad to face the Barbarians on June 4, only joined the the French glamour side on a short term deal in February.
Club president Mourad Boudjellal told the French newspaper Var-Matin: “We do not want blame anyone, but for next season we hope that team spirit is a priority.”

Henson joined Toulon for an initial five months to cover for the injured Clement Marienval, hoping to convince head coach Philippe Saint-Andre to give him a new two-year deal as well as revive his Wales career ahead of the World Cup.

Though he has had some success with the latter part of that equation, having been named in the Wales squad to face the Barbarians next week, it appears his off-field behaviour has cost him any chance of a long-term deal at Toulon.

Henson last played for his country in the 2009 RBS 6 Nations before a combination of personal problems and injuries prompted him to take unpaid leave from the Ospreys.

After some reality television appearances, he signed with Saracens to end an 18-month period out of the game but made only four appearances and just one start in four months at the club.

The 29-year-old was initially hampered by a hamstring injury on his arrival in France, but made a try-scoring debut against Stade Francais and made his second start in another victory over Toulouse.

The decision not to keep Henson follows hot on the heels of the high-profile signing of former rugby league star Willie Mason, who is expected to play at centre.

Full article at Wales on line - link - WalesonLine.com

So where now for Henson?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Henson not offered new Toulon contract Empty Re: Henson not offered new Toulon contract

Post by Cari Tue 24 May 2011, 10:29 am

"So where now for Henson?"

Department of Work and Pensions? Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Henson not offered new Toulon contract Empty Re: Henson not offered new Toulon contract

Post by red_stag Tue 24 May 2011, 10:31 am

Scarlets?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 24 May 2011, 10:32 am

Well he's tried everything else, maybe he'll have a go at playing some League?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 24 May 2011, 10:38 am

I actually think he is built perfectly for league rugby.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 24 May 2011, 10:46 am

Celtic Crusaders perhaps.

The fool hasn't advertised himself well. Maybe a big game against the BaaBaas will draw him some attention. Cardiff Blues could use some creativity at 10-12.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 May 2011, 10:47 am

Stag - Shocked no, no, no!

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 24 May 2011, 10:57 am

Wasps or Sale. Their both rebuilding squads aren't they???
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Tue 24 May 2011, 11:00 am

Personally I would be happy if he went to the scarlets, he would be instrumental in pulling THEIR team apart.
Not been posting over the last few , as a dog lover, I was devastated by the sad demise of my cat Celia, 14 years aqo she turned up in a storm, stormy day when she left.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 24 May 2011, 11:03 am

ospreylian wrote:Personally I would be happy if he went to the scarlets, he would be instrumental in pulling THEIR team apart.
Not been posting over the last few , as a dog lover, I was devastated by the sad demise of my cat Celia, 14 years aqo she turned up in a storm, stormy day when she left.

Sorry to hear that ospreylian Hug
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Tue 24 May 2011, 11:36 am

Thanks Notch much appreciated.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 May 2011, 11:43 am

Opsreylian - Hug

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Tue 24 May 2011, 2:39 pm

RD it's this sort of thing that sets this forum apart.
Thanks all Hug

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 May 2011, 2:42 pm

Sorry to hear that too Ospreylian.

I'd guess Wasps really. Dragons have released three centres today, so maybe we'll go after him. I hope not though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 May 2011, 5:17 pm

Tom Whitford, Toulon manager, when interviewed today didn't cite Henson's off-field behaviour as one of the two main reasons for not renewing his contract. These were future financial constraints because Toulon hadn't done as well this season as they'd hoped, and the possibility of Henson being unavailable for several months if picked for the Wales world cup squad. In fact, he said the off-field incident had been forgiven and that anyway Henson wasn't the only player to blame. What to believe, eh?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 24 May 2011, 5:20 pm

optimist wrote:... anyway Henson wasn't the only player to blame. ...

An interesting point. Matt Henjak isn't without plenty of off-pitch baggage either
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 25 May 2011, 1:33 am

Melbourne Rebels are short a few quality NH mid fielders Whistle
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 25 May 2011, 1:10 pm

apparently Stade Francais and stormers are reported to closely follow Henson.

http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/top-14/2010-2011/sf-interet-pour-henson_sto2806300/flashnews.shtml

not sure what for exactly but what I know is that stade are always on the look for new cheerleaders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsuJcFEPgFA

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Wed 25 May 2011, 3:44 pm

just added on another thread it would appear Henson had a hand in his own downfall. Toukon wanted him to give up playing for Wales and he said no!
Can you fault him for this?
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 25 May 2011, 4:02 pm

TBJ9625 wrote:just added on another thread it would appear Henson had a hand in his own downfall. Toukon wanted him to give up playing for Wales and he said no!
Can you fault him for this?

no you cant but guess thats life.
not sure where this is coming from but Toulon president mentionned that "team spirit" (or lack of it) was amongst the factors that were taken into account.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 25 May 2011, 4:29 pm

Stormers?? With Fourie, de Jongh and de Villiers in the squad they must be losing one of them.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 25 May 2011, 4:32 pm

Munster need a decent centre.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 25 May 2011, 5:26 pm

Further devvelopment from Gavins own mouth:

Gavin Henson has cast further light on his departure from Toulon, insisting that he turned down a deal with the Top 14 heavyweights as it would have jeopardised his chances of playing for Wales.

The 29-year-old was released by Toulon on Tuesday, with team manager Tom Whitford citing financial reasons - off the back of their failure to qualify for the Heineken Cup - as well as the possibility of a long absence at the start of next season should he secure a recall for the Rugby World Cup.

Despite disciplinary trouble during his five-month stay in France, where he was involved in a drunken altercation with team-mates, Henson completed phase one of his plan to regain his Wales place by winning selection for next weekend's Millennium Stadium meeting with the Barbarians.

"Playing for Wales and in particular featuring in a Rugby World Cup... is my number one priority," Henson said in a statement.

"I am disappointed that we weren't able to reach an agreement to enable me to play next season and beyond at Toulon, but for me the opportunity to try and prove myself for Wales is far too great to turn down.

"It is true that we had discussions with Toulon and were offered an extended deal at the end of this season for me to remain a Toulon player. However during their meeting it became apparent that Toulon has an issue with me playing for Wales, basically giving me an ultimatum that I play only for Toulon, something I felt unable to commit to."

Meanwhile, the Dragons have secured the signatures of young halfback duo James Leadbeater and Steffan Jones on one and two-year deals respectively.

Link - espn scrum - article here *click*

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 25 May 2011, 6:08 pm

The Western Mail is a Poopie rag with urine poor journalism who wouldn't know a decent rugby player if he bit them on the bum.

I read Hughie's round up of the papers this morning. The Irish papers had a balanced well written piece each, giving both sides. The Western Fail concentrated on the Club President's words and had a short paragraph putting the other side right at the end. Yet Henson is one of ours! There is no love lost for him in Ireland, but they had the grace to maintain a decent standard of journalism! Flip wits!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 May 2011, 6:29 pm

That's Andy Bowell and his mob for you Glas.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down