The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite boxers you 've seen live

+7
AdamT
Dipper Brown
Mind the windows Tino.
88Chris05
Rowley
mobilemaster8
terryaki01
11 posters

Go down

Favourite boxers you 've seen live Empty Favourite boxers you 've seen live

Post by terryaki01 Sun 20 Jul 2014, 9:03 pm

Following on from the two posts with favourite and hated boxers, how about the best boxer you have ever seen fight live? It may be down to a great display,great knockout, atmosphere etc.

Understand this limits the options but would be good to hear a personal point of view.

Cheers

terryaki01

Back to top Go down

Favourite boxers you 've seen live Empty Re: Favourite boxers you 've seen live

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 21 Jul 2014, 12:39 am

Atmosphere - Froch vs Bute
Best fighter live - Barerra
Best KO - Ofalabi vs Macarinelli (the knockdown was a peach!!).

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 21 Jul 2014, 8:45 am

The best I have seen live is Mayweather, although he is certainly not my favourite, to be honest I think he is a tool. Have also seen Tommy Hearns live, but by the time I saw him he was an old bloke who used to be Tommy Hearns so would not really count as the best I have seen.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 21 Jul 2014, 9:01 am

The best fight atmosphere was Froch-Bute. Not just because of the home-towners there for Froch, either - couln't believe how many fans Bute had in there. The Wembley show on May 31 had a great sense of occasion to it but it's hard to recreate that kind of bear pit, intense feeling in such a huge venue.

Best / most highly rated fighter I've seen fight in the flesh is probably Tim Bradley, albeit he was a young pup when I saw him beat Witter for his first title, along with Calzaghe.

Mind you, I was sat right by Ray Leonard for a while at the Froch-Bute fight....Does that count?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 21 Jul 2014, 9:04 am

I have also seen Tyson and Naz, both of them are half decent. If you are claiming Leonard Chris, so am I, went to an evening with he was doing. However if I can claim that am also having Duran. Have also seen Winky Wright actually fight a couple of times, quality fighter Winky.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 21 Jul 2014, 9:16 am

Best fight live was Lewis v Ruddock in '92. I was a 15 year old, wide eyed boy from the North-West making his first ever trip to Laaadon Tahn. I wasn't even allowed to go, but a few placed lies to Ma and Pa and some detailed cover stories fed to some friends and off we went.

Great night, even though it was over quickly. Ruddock was certainly the favourite amongst the crowd as well and when Lewis bowled him over, the place was shaking. Great days.

Another good experience was Hamed v Lawal in Glasgow. Sh*t fight and a waste of money, but I got to meet Superfly and his mates, which was nice.

Another great one was Calzaghe v Delaney in '96 (I think) in some poxy place in Essex. There was genuine bad blood between the two unbeaten fighters and the place was a seething mass of hatred. Passionate Welshies and some gangster types from Essex. It was sweaty and volatile. Great atmosphere.

Bruno v McCall at the old Wembley as well. Didn't really like Frank all that much but even I had a lump in my throat as he won. Those last few rounds with big Frank holding on were some tense moments.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon 21 Jul 2014, 11:21 am

The best fighter would probably be Calzaghe, was at the Millennium stadium when he unified against Kessler. It was the first boxing event I had been to and as has been said some of the atmosphere was lost in the stadium. The fact it was held in the middle of the night was weird also!

In terms of atmosphere Froch Kessler 2 was great in the O2. Brilliant partisan support and had a huge fight feel, even if the 'engerland' chants were annoying.

Clear winner for me was the most recent, Cotto Martinez in MSG. First time for me to visit the city, had an absolute blast and the streets were swarming with Puerto Rican flags creating an amazing atmosphere. Multiply that by 100 in the arena itself, the boricuas were going crazy for Cotto! As a big fan myself, my hope was he'd last the 12 rounds against the fully fledged middleweight and we all know what happened next. Andy Lee's KO of Jackson on the under card was a brilliant surprise too!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by terryaki01 Mon 21 Jul 2014, 6:03 pm

I would say sitting beside Leonard on the bus counts Chris and Rowley! I ran into Eubank about ten years ago at Down Royal racing day, was wearing a gold suit(obviously) still looked in good shape.
The froch destruction of Bute would be my pick. Good amount of selection from UK fights,
we haven't had it that bad over the years!

terryaki01

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 23 Jul 2014, 5:26 pm

I haven't been to many live fights. Only started going to fights around 08-09. I would say Frampton is the best I have seen. You could tell all fights I have seen, have been in Ireland. Ha!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Jul 2014, 5:28 pm

Don't worry Adam, if his disciplinary meeting goes badly in a few weeks you could be getting the chance to see Tyson O'Fury in the flesh.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by terryaki01 Wed 23 Jul 2014, 5:55 pm

No matter what happens in that meeting will prob still fight mainly in England.
Wont this be the tallest 'opponent' he has faced?

terryaki01

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 23 Jul 2014, 6:13 pm

One of either pajik or firtha was pretty tall from memory.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 23 Jul 2014, 6:30 pm

Favourite fighter live is Gary Sykes. Also a fan of John Murray, Kid Galahad and Bradley Saunders.

Best? Hmmm. Calzaghe, Hatton, Haye, Khan, Froch, Martinez, Barrera (even though he was past it). Others: Katsidis, Mitchell, Cleverley, Bellew, Gavin, Butler, Smiths, Booth, Molitor, Burns, Munroe, Frampton, Eubank Jr., Buckland, Etches, Groves, all the NE kids.

Met a fair few: Benn, Pascal, Murray, Sykes, Fury, Chisora, Holyfield, Groves, Gomez, Reid, Lewis, Macklin (fair few more - Sky Team etc.)

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 23 Jul 2014, 8:49 pm

best I've seen live was Lennox Lewis, but I was six or seven at the time, and the combination of him getting clocked sharpish, and me being half asleep means it probably doesn't count.

I was at a Jeffrey Mathebula fight for an alphabet soup title, and the atmosphere was insane... Best I've been to, and rivals anything I've seen on the telly. Budler vs Joyi was also a riot given the fact that I'd paid to see two manlets... probably the best fight I've seen as well. Thabiso Mchunu put the beating on Flo Simba twice, which was quite masterful, given the fact that he was fighting a guy who was way bigger than him, probably faster, and hit harder. Having no chin to speak of really does counterbalance every single positive thing you have going for you.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed 23 Jul 2014, 11:37 pm

Danny williams is the beat fighter ive seen live. He beat the man.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down