The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Say it here

+18
John Bloody Wayne
TopHat24/7
Hammersmith harrier
Strongback
horizontalhero
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Dipper Brown
owen10ozzy
JabMachineMK2
Rowley
mobilemaster8
TRUSSMAN66
CallMeBenji
Derbymanc
88Chris05
milkyboy
hazharrison
3fingers
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Say it here - Page 2 Empty Say it here

Post by 3fingers Thu 24 Jul 2014, 8:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aq_nWbruTc0

Sometimes 'something boxing' comes into your head and you just want to say it....but there isn't a relevant thread or its too difficult to shoe horn into an existing one - and its not worthy of a thread of its own.

Say what you want on this thread (boxing related) this is not an opportunity to have a go at board members.

I think Lucas Big Daddy Broene is a thoroughly nice fellow, and is arguable the he hardest puncher in boxing.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Say it here - Page 2 Empty Re: Say it here

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 26 Jul 2014, 6:59 am

The big question is at what point did the Benn inflicted injury start affecting him, it certainly wasn't the first so my point about him fighting a bigger, stronger and more resilient fighter still stands.

To me the injury has led to G-man being massively over rated, did very little in his career aside from knock over a load of journeymen. I'll call it the Sanchez factor.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 26 Jul 2014, 8:01 am

hazharrison wrote:
Strongback wrote:I sometimes question why people give Benn so much credit for the McClellan fight.  McClellan received a brain injury during the fight which may or may not have been due to an underlying brain problem McClellan was suffering with going into the figth.  

Benn may have beaten McClellan even if the brain injury did not occur but McClellan could also easily have beaten Benn if he did not start to suffer from the brain injury.  There are too many if's and but's about this fight for me to read as much into  the victory as some do.

Benn's performance was sensational - easily one of the finest in British boxing history. He was great that night and then never the same after a titanic encounter.

My post was not really about Benn's performance but more about how the brain injury effected the fight.  For instance without the brain injury would McClellan have won the fight? We will never know.  I am not questioning the effort Benn made to survive and prevail but more about how much credence should be put on a victory when one fighter had a brain injury possibly caused by an underlying problem he had going into the fight with.  My feeling is Benn's win has become more and more championed over the years.  For me there will always be an asterix beside it.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 26 Jul 2014, 8:05 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Hype can only be justified when it's fulfilled Milky, McClellan looked good beating journeymen and smaller fighters but we have no idea how his power translates against a genuinely tough 168lber.

True but it works both ways, the hype was never disproved either.  We can't say with any conviction that he would have beaten benn without the brain injury, but it took the performance of his life for benn to hang in with him, and it's widely considered that it finished him as a fighter.

Sure, benn caused the injury though whether there was an underlying problem and whether it was head clashes or rabbit punches or cumulative legitimate punches that caused it is open to debate... And obviously styles make fights, but personally I think there's enough to assume jc knows he's been in a fight.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 26 Jul 2014, 8:15 am

McClellan would have given Calzaghe hell. He was a far more formidable puncher than Mitchell, Hopkins or Jones. There's every chance Calzaghe gets hit early and stays hit.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 26 Jul 2014, 1:27 pm

Ronald McIntosh is the epitome of beauty in this sport.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 26 Jul 2014, 2:49 pm

Suprised no ones mentioned perez vs jennings, it should be a cracker.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Wed 30 Jul 2014, 12:51 pm

Why was mcguigan v Cruz in a Nevada carpark during the day. It was the headline show wasn't it? was it during the day to suit British television audiences? And the Nevada carpark to suit American gambling fans working on their tans?

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed 30 Jul 2014, 1:28 pm

jimdig wrote:Why was mcguigan v Cruz in a Nevada carpark during the day. It was the headline show wasn't it? was it during the day to suit British television audiences? And the Nevada carpark to suit American gambling fans working on their tans?
The Thomas Hearns v Mark Medal fight was the headline show. It came on after the McGuigan fight.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Wed 30 Jul 2014, 5:05 pm

Cheers atila, that'll explain the sunlight.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 01 Aug 2014, 7:33 pm

I dont have time to create a thread or give this much thought (Im on leave from the forces this weekend so spending it with the family) but following on from animals thread...I thought it would be fun to create the worst boxer (attributes from world champions only). For instance..

head movement - wlad
inside fighting - akinwande
chin - jackson
Power - Malignaggi
...etc

Remember worst attributes from wellknown title holders only.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 01 Aug 2014, 7:52 pm

This'll ruffle some feathers Fingers!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 01 Aug 2014, 7:57 pm

Hopefully, because friday is zero inhibitions day, is it not, you nob!? Haha! X

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 01 Aug 2014, 8:01 pm

Someone (not me) will say Khan for chin and Haye for stamina and we'll have tears before bedtime. Funtime Fridays!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 01 Aug 2014, 8:29 pm

Got to go for Linares for worst chin while Wlad would be my pick for worst inside fighter for the simple reason I wouldn't consider Akinwande a world champion.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 01 Aug 2014, 8:45 pm

I wouldnt consider him a champion either, to be honest. Terrible inside fighter who hheld the wbo belt.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 01 Aug 2014, 9:01 pm

If you had Golovkin's ability, Ward's charisma, Floyd's humility - you'd have a homeless douchebag with a strap
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 02 Aug 2014, 1:53 pm

Can some explain how Adams won by split decision? Was it countback? In the pro's that would be a majority draw.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum