The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Springboks not to play in the Currie Cup

3 posters

Go down

Springboks not to play in the Currie Cup Empty Springboks not to play in the Currie Cup

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 31 Jul 2014, 5:06 pm

If Biltong didn't like Super rugby before, news that Springboks contracted for the upcoming RC will not be allowed to compete for their Currie Cup provinces is hardly going to make him any more receptive towards it: http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9401689,00.html

However, given that SA are in Super rugby until at least 2016, I think this is actually a good move for Springbok rugby. It's merely replicating what happens with NZ's All Blacks who usually need special dispensation to play in the ITM, such as coming back from injury and in need of a hit out before the November tour. It also uncovers more young talent behind the Super system and may encourage a more attacking mindset given the impetuousness of youth. The loss of experience will be felt throughout the provincial sides but I don't think this has hindered the likes of the ITM teams.

Will this be though the final straw that breaks the springbok's back over Super rugby? The Currie Cup is sacred to South African rugby supporters and rightly so. Is the loss of Springbok players palatable to hardcore supporters who live and breathe these interprovincial rivalries? Will this encourage more Springbok players to ply their trade overseas as they are no longer able to represent their provinces?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Springboks not to play in the Currie Cup Empty Re: Springboks not to play in the Currie Cup

Post by Biltong Thu 31 Jul 2014, 6:49 pm

Well half the Springboks aren't in the country, so I gues we have been missing out on them for a couple of years already.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Springboks not to play in the Currie Cup Empty Re: Springboks not to play in the Currie Cup

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 31 Jul 2014, 6:50 pm

Does that encourage the other half to go though?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 31 Jul 2014, 7:56 pm

To be honest I have given up thinking about it, our rugby has morphed into a mess, our Currie Cup isn't what it is supposed to be, Super rugby is turning into a mess, and our Boks are leaving.

The politicians are having d...ck measuring contests, so there isn't much to be excited about, you almost get the feeling we are on borrowed time, and soon things will completely fall apart.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 31 Jul 2014, 8:21 pm

I certainly understand how you might feel disheartened. The great win in the Commonwealth games contrasted sharply with the poor showing in general of the SA franchises this year in the Super 15.

SA are still a rugby powerhouse and the team NZ is most worried about but it really does feel like it's coming apart at the seams. Injuries and so many players overseas and the politics. There always seems to be an obstacle. When you look at the set up NZ has and how everything points towards the highest level, you really do wonder what SA would be capable of if there weren't so many people trying to ruck everything up!

Chin up BB. You'll probably win the RC and the World Cup now with all this sympathy behind you.  Hug 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 31 Jul 2014, 9:03 pm

Hahaha, we won't win anything mate.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 01 Aug 2014, 9:55 am

Personally I think its sensible in the current set up from a playing perspective but not from a financial one and the hit could be massive.

After 6 big matches and lots of miles on the clock (as well as a full SR season and summer tour)... the last thing you want your top line players to do is to parachute into a Currie Cup SF/Final for a slugfest.

The SF/Final are complete madness. Players throw themselves around like an old firm derby. The butchers bill is high and it causes injuries/fatigue and really I'd prefer players who did the hard yards throughout the tournament to get their jersey come the last 2 matches.

It will have an impact on gate receipts though. That is something that SARU must realise and also... they should be compensated for.

A full strength WP side come the SF/Final will get a full house (50K) capacity. Say figures drop to 30,000 due to lack of star players... well thats 1.8MM rand for a single game on gate receipts alone. Then there is day takings on merchandise etc. 2 home games could lose a province 5MM rand. Thats big money for any club, anywhere in the world.

Players aren't machines I agree but if it costs 4 teams 2.5MM rand and then 2.5MM for the final in loss of earnings thats 12.5MM rand lost which in SA is huge. Clubs aren't exactly flush with cash and they have to pay salaries and compete with Europe and Japan. Things like this ain't helping.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down