The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best stadium you've watched rugby in.

+33
welshjohn369
Dougie
Stellar Key
ruggerbyplayer
thebandwagonsociety
munkian
Standulstermen
Gibson
Goosestepper
InjuredYetAgain
Matty the Sarrie
funnyExiledScot
OldUglyHead
Totallybiasedscarlet
MR. scotland27
Shifty
RuggerRadge2611
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Tayto
offload
mckay1402
red_stag
Breadvan
Adam D
Cari
Mickado
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
doctor_grey
Suspicious lurker
Glas a du
Notch
rhino-dragon
mickyt
37 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Best stadium you've watched rugby in.  Empty Best stadium you've watched rugby in.

Post by mickyt Tue 24 May - 21:47

As a Leinster fan that likes to travel to see his team, I've been to some great stadiums to see the boys in blue play.

I've been to Wembley, Aviva, Croke park, Murrayfield, Twickers, to name but a few of the big ones.

However, the best stadium I've watched any sport in has been the stadium I witnessed Leinster win the match the weekend in. The Millenium stadium for me had it all, location couldn't be better so central. Inside some atmosphere with roof closed. Great view from most of the stadium.

So my question is what is the best stadium you've been to for what ever reason?
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Best stadium you've watched rugby in.  Empty Re: Best stadium you've watched rugby in.

Post by rhino-dragon Tue 24 May - 21:55

Millenium Stadium. Better atmosphere than Croke Park and Murrayfield. Better placed than Twickenham. I haven't been to the new bedpan shaped Lansdowne yet though. Although i was never a fan of the last one.

rhino-dragon

Back to top Go down

Best stadium you've watched rugby in.  Empty Re: Best stadium you've watched rugby in.

Post by mickyt Tue 24 May - 21:57

Old lansdowne road agreed was no special arena in terms of luxury but was steeped in history. The bed pan as it where is a great stadium though and will create it's own history.
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 24 May - 22:05

Best atmosphere I've experienced at a game was Ravenhill at the European Cup semi-final in 1999, as there were about 7000 more people in the ground than the absolute maximum allowed today by health and safety laws. That many people in a very confined space right on top of the pitch watching one of the biggest ever games in the history of Irish Provincial rugby at that time produced a very, very special atmosphere.

I enjoyed Ireland vs South Africa in Croke Park, with the fog rolling in and the crowd in fine voice. That had an epic quality to it. But other games in Croke were sadly lacking in atmosphere.

The atmosphere for the game at Stadium:MK this year between Saints and Ulster was outstanding. Two teams who maybe haven't been to that stage every year, and are very, very vocal in support of their team. Again it was a small stadium where the crowd is very close to the pitch.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 24 May - 22:07

The Parc Des Princes was special. You sat on a bucket lid perched in the clouds. No good if you had vertigo. You daren't lean forward. Yet the French roar was something special. I was out there in 97 when we ran France close playing a fantastic brand of running rugby (que Stag, Munsty and Notch!) and it was the best experience I've had out of Cardiff. The Stadio Flaminio is different, but Rome is just an amazing place.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by rhino-dragon Tue 24 May - 22:12

I forgot about Parc Des Princes in my opinion an epic stadium. Also our old national stadium was superb for atmosphere although if trith be told and i take of the rose tinted specs of nostalgia i have to admit that the Millenium is a lot better.

Notch that day in 1999 must of been superb even as a nuetral i wish i could of been there for that one. I have always had a soft spot for Ravenhill.

rhino-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Tue 24 May - 22:18

Would agree with you T about the MS, its amazing, especially for a final
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyt Tue 24 May - 22:19

Notch you like the intimate ones that create cauldrins?

It is pretty great up in raven hill alright I enjoyed the atmosphere and the fans.
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 24 May - 22:27

Yeah, I do Micky. For purely acoustic reasons it creates a good atmosphere!

MS must be unbelievable with the roof closed. And that's just a matter of acoustics to be honest.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 May - 22:38

I've been to some unreal games in the MS, but Saturday's game will live long in the memory.

Obviously it's great to watch Wales in with the roof closed, but that doesn't happen too often and so it was great to experience a brilliant atmosphere with the roof keeping everything in.

Club wise, I loved the Shed and the banter we had with the Gloucester fans and I really enjoyed Toulouse's ground too (though that was a bit of a way out of the town)

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyt Tue 24 May - 22:45

Notch wrote:Yeah, I do Micky. For purely acoustic reasons it creates a good atmosphere!

MS must be unbelievable with the roof closed. And that's just a matter of acoustics to be honest.

I agree. I loved the quins game against Leinster. Blood gate. Some atmosphere and noise we made that day. We the fans got player of the month that game.
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 24 May - 23:21

Yeah I like those kinds of club grounds. There's a fair noise at the RDS, it's similar. All the people in the Grandstand stamp their feet and it makes a hell of a din.

I'd love to go to The Stoop, The Shed, Rodney Parade... all those old school club grounds.

Thomond Park and Welford Road are the best of both worlds. Old grounds with all the tradition, history and atmosphere that goes with it and yet they've been redeveloped to be totally modern and can host big games and events. That's why I'm pleased we're choosing to redevelop Ravenhill rather than move.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 25 May - 2:53

For me, its easy:

Olden times:
Parc Des Princes in its day was a terrific, intense place to watch a match. Must have been hell to play there. Lots of good, old style Rugby fun, and in Paris, to boot.

Modern times:
Millenium Stadium. As thery say in the Real Estate business, its location, location, location. Nice building, but the location and the city makes it the best place in the world to stage a match.

Of the larger stadia, I also like Loftus Versfeld in Pretoria for the intensity of the crowd. Also Kings Park in Durban. Its usually warm and The Sharks have their cheerleaders.

Of the mid-size grounds, I like Franklin's Gardens and Thormond Park.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 25 May - 7:16

Hong Kong stadium - the whole package that surrounds the 7s has to be sampled to be believed. Would love to have gone to an ABs match in the Carisbrook House of Pain but have missed the boat on that one I suspect thumbsup Sandy Park is a pretty amazing venue when the Tribe are in full voice with the Tomahawk Chop - when the stadium is completely redeveloped in 5 years or so with a capacity of c.20,000, it will be up there with Kingsholm and Welford Road

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Wed 25 May - 7:19; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 25 May - 8:41

For large stadiums it has to be the MS, it was a surreal kind of amazing. Noise, air, everything, totally different to anything I’ve seen, heard or felt before. The new Lansdowne was incredible for the few Ireland and Leinster games I’ve been to and will be a great venue for fans to visit.

The best atmosphere I’ve ever experienced outside of the 50k+ seater’s would be Leinster v ASM in the RDS last year and Leinster v Harlequins in the Stoop in 09. The stoop in particular will live on in my memory for many years, the fans won the player of the month award after that, we shouted, cheered, sang and chanted the team to victory that day.

Last edited by Mickado on Wed 25 May - 9:00; edited 1 time in total

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 25 May - 8:50

Mickado - ML? I hope you meant MS Wink

I haven't been to that many places myself, so I'd have to choose the MS at the moment. It's great for gigs as well.

I enjoyed the atmos at the RDS when I went there too even though it wasn't full to capacity.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 25 May - 9:00

I always enjoy Murrayfield when Wales visit. Usually because it feels like a home game for the Welsh!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 25 May - 9:01

Cari wrote:Mickado - ML? I hope you meant MS Wink

Yes I did, thank you very much edit function! Very Happy

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 25 May - 9:07

Hobo wrote:I always enjoy Murrayfield when Wales visit. Usually because it feels like a home game for the Welsh!

I'd like to be at Murrayfield when they do the pre-match show at the big Autumn Internationals with the lights off and things. Looks awesome on TV.

Last edited by Cari on Wed 25 May - 9:13; edited 1 time in total

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 25 May - 9:12

The MS will host some matches in the 2015 world cup too Smile

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/05/24/millennium-stadium-gets-world-cup-all-clear-91466-28757782/

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed 25 May - 9:35

Yeh the MS at capacity with the roof closed is something else. Mrs breadvan will testify as she's off to see take that....again!

Enjoyed a Wellington Lions game at the cake tin back in 2000. jonah Lomu at el. Great atmosphere and locals. We were in the top rows and Lomu still looked massive Shocked

Last edited by Breadvan on Wed 25 May - 9:37; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelt and abd. dopey git...)
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 25 May - 9:47

Millenium Stadium has been superb twice. Biased I know but I love Thomond Park.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyt Wed 25 May - 14:19

Mickado wrote:For large stadiums it has to be the MS, it was a surreal kind of amazing. Noise, air, everything, totally different to anything I’ve seen, heard or felt before. The new Lansdowne was incredible for the few Ireland and Leinster games I’ve been to and will be a great venue for fans to visit.

The best atmosphere I’ve ever experienced outside of the 50k+ seater’s would be Leinster v ASM in the RDS last year and Leinster v Harlequins in the Stoop in 09. The stoop in particular will live on in my memory for many years, the fans won the player of the month award after that, we shouted, cheered, sang and chanted the team to victory that day.

Defo on the stoop amazing and ASM as well was most certainly the best atmosphere I've witnessed at the rds
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed 25 May - 16:49

definitely Fine Lady fields in Brackley. State of the art doesn't even cover it...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 26 May - 9:12

As a kid the old Arms Park was very special and I loved the banter at Lansdown Rd. Will never forget my first trip the the Parc Des Princes -so steep everytime I stood up I thought I was going to fall forward.

The MS is the best modern stadium I have been in by some margin.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 26 May - 23:49

I like many others had an education in rugby and in life in the Eastern Enclosure if tge old International Stadium (the Arm's Park was and is next door)
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 26 May - 23:50

Glas a du wrote:I like many others had an education in rugby and in life in the Eastern Enclosure if the old International Stadium (the Arms' Park was and is next door)
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Tayto Fri 27 May - 10:28

Millenium stadium in 2006 was an unreal experience.
Over 60,000 Munster supporters at the final against Biarritz.
The noise level was fantastic and the atmosphere brilliant.

Thomond Park 2008 against the All Blacks was another belter.

Tayto

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 27 May - 10:36

Millenium stadium has been superb on most of the occasions I've been there. A good design plus the incredibly central location makes it.

The old embankment at Lancaster Park and the terraces at Carisbrooke were both incredible for atmosphere, if not for comfort. Their successor stadiums have much better facilities but not quite that hemmed in, close to the action feeling. Back in 1999 I felt the crowd won the "Blackout" test in Dunedin vs the 'Boks (the ABs didn't win a 3N match the year before), but Percy Montgomery had copped a massive earful from the Terrace in the opening minutes and couldn't catch a ball to save himself in the 1st half, such were his nerves.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 27 May - 10:52

Cari wrote:
Hobo wrote:I always enjoy Murrayfield when Wales visit. Usually because it feels like a home game for the Welsh!

I'd like to be at Murrayfield when they do the pre-match show at the big Autumn Internationals with the lights off and things. Looks awesome on TV.

I Remember being there for the Australia game when we actually won against them for the 1st time in nearly 30 years, pretty special night, The atmosphere before the game and straight after was one of the best I have ever experienced.

As for travelling its hard to see past the Millenium Stadium, it has the whole package, fantastic atmosphere, great views of the pitch, centralized loacation and in my opinion the most welcoming fans.

Making the trip to the Aviva next year though so I'm really looking forward to that.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 27 May - 11:02

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Cari wrote:

I Remember being there for the Australia game when we actually won against them for the 1st time in nearly 30 years, pretty special night, The atmosphere before the game and straight after was one of the best I have ever experienced.

As for travelling its hard to see past the Millenium Stadium, it has the whole package, fantastic atmosphere, great views of the pitch, centralized loacation and in my opinion the most welcoming fans.

Making the trip to the Aviva next year though so I'm really looking forward to that.

I was at Murrayfield last year for the ABs AI. The way they did the Remembrance minute's silence with the lone piper was spine-tingling
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 27 May - 11:05

Aye I was there too Kiwi.

One thing I will say about Scottish Rugby is we put on a good show, I just wish we could put on a better show at match time instead of build up Wink
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 27 May - 21:04

The National stadium Cardiff Arms Park, in the Neath / Pontypridd Swalec Final in Nigel Benazzis final game, which Pontypridd won. Ive never experianced a game like it my ears were ringing for hours after the game, the atmosphere was amazing. It was about 50/50 neath / Ponty fans, i was there as a Cardiff fan, but we didnt make it to the final. I started off supporting Neath because they had a young attacking side who loved to play rugby, but it was hard not to support Ponty by the end they gave everything.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. scotland27 Sat 28 May - 11:05

For me absoloutely no competition in saying Welford road you can feel the passion in the air when you go there.
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Sat 28 May - 11:15

Stradey Park!!!! Wink
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 May - 12:54

Totallybiasedscarlet wrote:Stradey Park!!!! Wink

I take your point Totallyunbiasedscarlet laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by OldUglyHead Wed 1 Jun - 9:38

Templeville Road when we put 50 past Shannon last October

Last edited by OldUglyHead on Wed 1 Jun - 9:57; edited 1 time in total

OldUglyHead

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 1 Jun - 9:56

The Milleneum for me for pure rugby atmosphere. Stade Francais in the sunshine is also a joy.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty the Sarrie Thu 2 Jun - 22:35

I've been to Wembley, Twickenham and Millennium Stadium (only listing the big ones!)

Millennium was the best. Wembley lacked atmosphere and Twickenham is a trek, and if it were at a location such as the Millennium it would be the best. All great stadiums though.

Matty the Sarrie

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Thu 2 Jun - 22:55

The noise that the French generate at the Stade de France is amazing (especially when they are running trie sion at will as they did when I watched Scotland last play there). Before the game, their national anthem brings a lump to the throat.
Me and Mrs Injured toured NZ a few years ago and took in 4 S14 (as it was then ) games and I was actaully a bit disappointed with their stadiums (I know it is stadia but that just looks poncey).

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Goosestepper Thu 2 Jun - 23:40

Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane is probably the best I've been to in the Southern Hemisphere (certainly Aus). Built for Union/League. Also unlike say Sydeny the crowds really get into the game, the weather is usually good and the location is excellent - they ussually close off a whole street full of boozers for big games.

Also (I think like MS) the pitch is actually below ground level so when you walk into the stadium off the street you're almost half way up - makes for a cauldron like effect

Goosestepper

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 3 Jun - 0:38

For rugby. The MS. Without a doubt in my mind and I have travelled to and experienced so many over the years. The fact that it looms large, right in the centre of a City, gives it even more kudos. Cant touch that. Old Lansdowne Road came close to it for atmosphere.

Croke Park, is huge and impressive but it has no soul for rugby. Works for GAA. Dont ask me why that is. Saw Killkenny v Dublin play hurling in it and it was magnificent. But not for rugby. All the games I've seen Ireland play there, the atmosphere was shoite.

New Lansdowne... Hmmm. Its OK. Maybe it needs time to grow in the consciousness. The Roar was not there.Was at 4 huge games in it this year and maybe the happiness of winning them all, over-shadowed my perspective of it. The Jury is still out for me.

Wembley, also huge and impressive, but it lacks something.Its a soccer-ground for sure.

Twickers, being a huge bowl - it needs to be full, otherwise, its like Murrayfield. Soul-less.

I prefer the higgeldy-piggedly - RDS, on a wet and grimey Saturday aft myself. Playing ASM, Munster, Leicester or Wasps and it full to its rafters. There is no better atmosphere in European rugby for me. It's a shame we had to play those 4 games I was at in the NLR. Twice the crowd. Half the atmosphere, in my opinion. But, its all about the money.

My favourite rugby grounds I have visited and enjoyed around the place:

1. RDS
2. Old Lansdowne Road
3. Welford Road
4. Parc des Sports Marcel Michelin (ASM)
5. Thomond Park
6. The Stoop
7. Stade Armendie (Agen)
8. Stade Municipal (Used by Toulouse)
9. Ravenhill
10. Twickers.

Stade de France, is a beautifully-structured stadium on all levels. Was at a soccer game there and it was perfect. Never at a rugby game there. Yet.

Was never at a competitive game in the Rec, but I love its' surrounds and the ambience.
Hopefully - next year. And more rugby-ground experiences.

Last edited by Gibson on Fri 3 Jun - 1:19; edited 4 times in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 3 Jun - 0:41

Ravenhill and old Lansdowne for character.

Millenium and Stade de France for grandeur

Edinburgh is my favourite city to watch a game in though

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 3 Jun - 8:55

The Millenium and Rodney parade on a derby day clap
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Fri 3 Jun - 11:03

OldUglyHead wrote:Templeville Road when we put 50 past Shannon last October

A field with clubhouse in it would be a better description for Templeville Road than the Best Stadium Ever!

Purely on stadium quality, noise, line of sight to the game, location - has to be the Millenium.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by ruggerbyplayer Sat 4 Jun - 18:53

For me it's the MS. I was there for the 2008 Heineken Final and the final this year. My least favourite stadium is Twickenham (England's 'fortress') - it's charmless and lacks atmosphere.

That said, I've never been to the Stade de France which is apparently brilliant. I'd like to watch a match at the Aviva. I did a stadium tour there. Croker on a big match day would also be good. Thomond is another I'd like to go to. Maybe I'll do a stadium tour of Ireland.

ruggerbyplayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 4 Jun - 18:59

1996 Swalec Cup Final in Cardiff Arms Park Pontypridd 29 – 22 Neath.
Brilliant game, my ears were rigning, it was a wonderful atmosphere, the best Iv'e ever seen anywhere.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by ruggerbyplayer Sat 4 Jun - 19:23

Adams Park in High Wycombe - I can safely say it's the most abyssmal stadium in existence. Just awful. Call up the demolition team.

ruggerbyplayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Stellar Key Sat 4 Jun - 21:38

The National stadium or Cardiff Arms Park as it was. The more it was improved and modernised the better it became . Having one of the best rugby sides in the world helped a lot to the atmosphere of the place too. 8)

The MS is pretty good too especially when they close the roof on a winters evening. All Wales need is a team as good as the ground now. :-)

Stellar Key

Back to top Go down

Post by Dougie Sat 4 Jun - 21:48

Not going with the National stadiums ,I would say Sixway's is a favourite away ground for me.
Being a Bath fan then it has to be the Rec ,where else can you get such poor and dated facilities surounded but such beauty of the city Very Happy

Dougie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next