The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys season thread 2014-15

+46
Allty
Welly
HammerofThunor
whocares
wayne
Cyril
doctor_grey
No 7&1/2
BigGee
The Great Aukster
maestegmafia
TBJ9625
doctornickolas
Welshmushroom
Seagultaf
RDSguru
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
George Carlin
glamorganalun
LeinsterFan4life
IanBru
tatterd
No9
dragon4life
TJ
Cocokav
jimmyinthewell68
GavinDragon
Cardiff Dave
Shifty
VinceWLB
The Saint
Luckless Pedestrian
Welsh Magician
Janecory
Stone Motif
wales606
LordDowlais
Jenifer McLadyboy
ScarletSpiderman
Breadvan
profitius
Neutralee
bedfordwelsh
Exiledinborders
Notch
50 posters

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

Ospreys season thread 2014-15 - Page 8 Empty Ospreys season thread 2014-15

Post by The Saint Tue 26 Aug 2014, 3:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

Will Ospreys be worst team in Wales 2014-15?

Outside of some fairly decent signings (Bernardo, Matavesi, Roberts), and their inspiring captain (AWJ) the Ospreys squad looks very average and the first team could struggle to be within the top 6 of the Guinness Pro12. Squad: http://www.ospreysrugby.com/Teams/Squad/Ospreys. Do Ospreys fans believe little was done when Ryan/Adam Jones, Hibbard declared intentions to move? I think the current squad has potential, but the current coaches will neither develop them or get the best out of them when it comes to the field of play, I think Tandy is the worst pro rugby coach in Wales and quite possibly all of Europe. The departures of the senior players will do little to help either.

Dragons have a slightly better squad this term and are lead by a good coaching panel, as are the Scarlets and Blues. The Blues also have built quite a formidable squad and look the most likely to be winning silverware this season. This is why I can see Ospreys being the worst performing team in the 2014/15 season. To go from the team most likely to win silverware for a No. of years to potentially the worst is unforgivable.

Last edited by The Saint on Fri 03 Oct 2014, 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Title changed due to continued request. Former title is at the head of the post.)

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Ospreys season thread 2014-15 - Page 8 Empty Re: Ospreys season thread 2014-15

Post by wayne Sun 02 Nov 2014, 2:13 pm

George, we nearly always are (joke), can I also add, there are many who criticise Refs on here me included, and I did a few times on Friday night, yet when watching the game back yesterday afternoon, I thought John Lacey was excellent, he had the right feeling IMO for that game.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 14 Nov 2014, 10:40 pm

Welsh Magician wrote:
The Saint wrote:I think you need to really go over what I've said about Biggar, Ospreys TH situation and then let it go. You're trying so hard to believe something that doesn't exist.

Like I said, get off the thread and start an Ospreys season thread then you petty little man. This is the place for opinion, not the usual one-eyed Ospreys bias.
But you are the one pushing bias here, you clearly dislike the team or really don't watch them enough to suggest that they will finish bottom out of the Welsh regions, their squad is stronger and deeper than the Dragons squad and over the course of a whole season that will show quite clearly.

Fantastic depth on show in Bridgend tonight from the O's, fair play
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 14 Nov 2014, 11:14 pm

Up front they looked weak, the subs were probably the better players. So the 'depth' or lack of is surely a concern. Ours isn't much better, but we've got a couple players back now and this evening's team was a good blend of youth and experience.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat 15 Nov 2014, 7:02 am

Pretty shocking to be down 48-0 at one stage, the team wasn't that bad either.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 15 Nov 2014, 7:45 am

The hosts had been completely blown away in the first 40 as the Dragons racked up a point a minute, the youthful Ospreys pack unable to cope with an older, more physical and more experienced Dragons eight.

However, they pulled themselves together in the second half, restoring pride and putting together some decent rugby to earn themselves at least a bonus point from the defeat.

It was a dreadful start for the Ospreys, who found themselves trailing by 24 points inside the first 18 minutes.

First Geraint Rhys Jones slotted over a penalty from the 10m line, awarded against the hosts for going off their feet at the breakdown, and then the Dragons grabbed the first try of the evening, through Ross Wardle, the centre taking the scoring pass off full back Jones to go over unopposed after the visiting backs had worked a two-on-one against on their left.

The score was converted by Rhys Jones and just two minutes later the Ospreys found themselves back underneath their sticks. This time, the hosts were unable to stop a Dragons rolling maul from 10m out, Lewis Evans applying the finishing touch for a score that was again converted by Jones.

It got even worse just minutes later when the Dragons pack repeated the trick, only this time rumbling forward almost 40m with the same inevitable outcome, and again it was Evans who dotted down, and again the extras were added.

A penalty against the Ospreys pack at the scrum then allowed Jones to slot over a straightforward kick to stretch the lead to 27 points in as many minutes.

It was proving to be a very tough night at the office, and when young lock Rory Thornton was sinbinned for pulling down another ominous looking maul, the inevitable happened from the resulting penalty as the visitors went to the corner again before rumbling over the line for a fourth try in the opening half an hour. Cory Hill was the scorer, Jones converting.

The Ospreys were then grateful to Ashley Beck for a last gasp tackle on Ashton Hewitt after the Dragons won a turnover just inside the home team’s half, the winger haring upfield before being wrestled into touch.

It was only a temporary respite though, as the Dragons came straight back at the Ospreys, and it was Jonathan Evans who had the simplest of runs to the line through ineffective tackling to score. The conversion from Jones, the final kick of the opening half, took the visitors lead to an incredible 41 points.

HALF-TIME: OSPREYS 0 NG DRAGONS 41

The second half began in a similar vein as the first had been played out, with the Dragons going forward, and they thought they had rumbled over from another lineout catch and drive just a couple of minutes in. However, they were held up over the line, with the resultant scrum seeing a penalty awarded to the Ospreys, allowing them to clear.

Even when the Ospreys were eventually able to put together a positive attack, they found themselves back behind their line almost immediately, conceding a turnover on the Dragons 10m line from which they swiftly counter attacked.

Dafydd Howells did well to ankle tap Dorian Jones on the right but the defensive cover was all at sixes and sevens as the ball was swept back across field where a 3 on 1 against Aisea Natoga ended in the inevitable with Hill scoring his second try, after the officials had conferred on a possible knock-on, Jones again converting.

To their credit, the Ospreys were able to pick themselves up and within five minutes had scored two converted tries.

First it was Dirksen who cut a smart angle through the Dragons defence from a line out to score under the posts, and then, again from a throw, the forwards hammered on the line, drawing in defenders, before it was spun out wide to Howells who dived over from close range to score. Davies converted both.

As the hour approached, the Brewery Field crowd were treated to that rarest of things, a Cai Griffiths try, the prop peeling off the back of a maul and galloping over for the Ospreys third try inside eight minutes, Davies’ conversion taking the score to 21-48.

Geraint Rhys Jones then brought up the half century for the visitors with a penalty on the hour.

A crazy game of rugby then saw the Dragons reduced to 14, Ashton Hewitt taking a team yellow for persistent offending, and he was joined in the bin just two minutes later by Dorian Jones after the visitors pulled down an Ospreys maul that was destined for the line. Penalty try was the decision, converted by Davies, 66 minutes gone.

An Ospreys offside, in front of the kicker, gave the Dragons a simple shot of goal but this time Geraint Rhys Jones was off target.

With seven minutes left the Ospreys worked a lovely try from a lineout on the right, Aisea Natoga – who scored a hat-trick when the Ospreys last visited Brewery Field – coming infield to collect, scything through the defence to score his team’s fifth try of the game under the posts. Davies again added the extras.

In a contest that had had just about everything, the heavens absolutely opened in the dying minutes, and with the Dragons cleverly running down the clock there was to be no further scoring.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 15 Nov 2014, 9:34 am

That's a very weak Ospreys team up front and Dirksen aside none of those backs are decent defenders.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 15 Nov 2014, 11:38 am

Shifty, I've watched a few of your players from last night come through the U20s in the past couple of seasons. I didn't rate many of them then and I still don't.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat 15 Nov 2014, 12:58 pm

From someone who was actually there last night, we were embarrassing in the first half, the Dragons scored 2 rolling maul tries, one of which was from the half way line or thereabouts, some of our kicking out of hand in the first half was abysmal, for the first half in our defence we were playing into a stiff wind, and we were playing against the Dragons front five and your No 8 who would be in your first team 23 if you were playing in the Guinness or the European competition this weekend, a couple of your backs would also fall into that criteria, apart from Beck, Davies and possibly Parry and Bernardo sorry forgot Roberts, we had 3rd, 4th even 5th choice players and loan signings from the Blues and even Scotland, the second half was a mirror image of the first, the much maligned Cai Griffiths came on and steadied the scrum, from about the hour mark we were the dominant forward unit and we scored 2 rolling maul tries. Dirksen also scored a very good try, cutting a nice angle through their midfield. Don't take this as sour grapes, as the better team won, the final Dragons try should never have been awarded there were 2 knock on offences committed one in the Dragons half and the other right in front of me between the 10 metre line and the 22 when they lost possession in tackles the first was about a yard forward and the second about 2 yards.
Finally I wrote a similar article to this a couple of years ago when we played the Northampton Saints at the same venue when they had about 10 players who would have been near their first team squad, at least they had the excuse that any English winner of that competition would gain entry to the HC, I said then who would learn more from that game, the same would apply to last night, and the Dragons would gain very little and absolutely nothing in competition advancement.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Nov 2014, 1:45 pm

So you're saying we shouldn't have played our new signing Brok Harris, to see what he's like? Our 2nd choice hooker shouldn't have been on the pitch? Our 2nd choice lock (plus sub) shouldn't have been there? Two flankers who've come through the academy and are not first choice shouldn't have got a run out? Our blindside shouldn't have been moved to be a makeshift 8, a position he rarely if ever plays? Our 3rd choice flyhalf shouldn't have got a run out? Our 3rd choice teenager wing Hewitt shouldn't have played? Our winger returning from injury and being asked to move inside to centre? Our other 2nd/3rd choice wing Morgan shouldn't have been there? Our 3rd choice full back should not have been picked? Who the flip should the Dragons have picked then??? Players even lower down the pecking order? Many of these play regularly in the premiership. Are you saying that, in order to be 'fair', we should have chosen only players playing in the Welsh 1st division??? In that case, when we play the full strength Ospreys you should not pick the best players because you have more internationals than us so its not fair. You must choose only players deemed of similar standard. So if we pick the likes of Tovey and Richie Rees you cannot pick Webb and Biggar as they are clearly better quality.  FFS.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Nov 2014, 1:59 pm

It seems to be an Ospreys default setting to hide behind the "fact" that we played lots of first choice players (I've seen it on twitter too). I actually think it's only 5 for definite. Pity really. Nobody gave a monkeys about Dragons when we were forced to field loan players (one of whom everybody was raving about last week), or had injuries. You just have to get on with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Welsh Magician Mon 17 Nov 2014, 2:24 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
Welsh Magician wrote:
The Saint wrote:I think you need to really go over what I've said about Biggar, Ospreys TH situation and then let it go. You're trying so hard to believe something that doesn't exist.

Like I said, get off the thread and start an Ospreys season thread then you petty little man. This is the place for opinion, not the usual one-eyed Ospreys bias.
But you are the one pushing bias here, you clearly dislike the team or really don't watch them enough to suggest that they will finish bottom out of the Welsh regions, their squad is stronger and deeper than the Dragons squad and over the course of a whole season that will show quite clearly.

Those LV points will really help you finish above Ospreys this season, congratulations.

Welsh Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:55 pm

Welsh Magician wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
Welsh Magician wrote:

Those LV points will really help you finish above Ospreys this season, congratulations.

Thanks.  Oh no! Even the management are putting the boot in now, looks like I was right after all...

Ospreys coach Gruff Rees wrote:

We don't have enough strength in depth
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Welsh Magician Mon 17 Nov 2014, 11:31 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
Welsh Magician wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
Welsh Magician wrote:

Thanks.  Oh no! Even the management are putting the boot in now, looks like I was right after all...

Of course you were right, you're top of the table after all. That squad depth has really helped you. Doh

Welsh Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 18 Nov 2014, 9:44 am

Welsh Magician wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
Welsh Magician wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
Welsh Magician wrote:

Thanks.  Oh no! Even the management are putting the boot in now, looks like I was right after all

Of course you were right, you're top of the table after all. That squad depth has really helped you. Doh
Top of the table in a mickey mouse league, whop-a-dee-ding-dong.

Your cheek-spreading effort against Northampton is the benchmark for your squad I'm sorry to say ...<I can add a smiley if it aids comprehension, but it makes me feel like an Ospreys forward about to bite the pillow in an RCC1 match>

Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:14 am

Stone Motif wrote:
Welsh Magician wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
Welsh Magician wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
Welsh Magician wrote:

Thanks.  Oh no! Even the management are putting the boot in now, looks like I was right after all

Top of the table in a mickey mouse league, whop-a-dee-ding-dong.

Your cheek-spreading effort against Northampton is the benchmark for your squad I'm sorry to say ...<I can add a smiley if it aids comprehension, but it makes me feel like an Ospreys forward about to bite the pillow in an RCC1 match>

On what planet has a Dragons fan got any right to have a go at any other teams achievements ? Instead of telling the Ospreys fans how rubbish their side is, when you are rubbing shoulders with the Treviso's and the Zebre's of this world, perhaps it's those teams fans you should be giving it out to, after all, it is these side's who you should be worried about, yes the Ospreys might be top of a "Mickey Mouse league" as you put it, but the Dragons are tenth in the same league, the Ospreys are miles infront of the Dragons on and off the field, and until your side can match them then I guess the best course of action for you would be to keep schtum. steam

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:44 am

Have you picked a region now then Dowlais, or not?

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:11 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Have you picked a region now then Dowlais, or not?

Yes, all four of them, I just do not like it when as soon as the Ospreys lose, we have herdned Dragons fans all over it taking swipes, and calling the league "thier" region is in Mickey Mouse, and they are at the bottom end of it. Becuase of certain fans from Newport though, I am really starting to get a dislike for the Dragons, andd it is a shame, becuase I have enjoyed some cracking games at Rodney Parade.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:59 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Yes, all four of them, I just do not like it when as soon as the Ospreys lose, we have herdned Dragons fans all over it taking swipes, and calling the league "thier" region is in Mickey Mouse, and they are at the bottom end of it. Becuase of certain fans from Newport though, I am really starting to get a dislike for the Dragons, andd it is a shame, becuase I have enjoyed some cracking games at Rodney Parade.

What makes you think Stone is from Newport?

You dislike the Dragons because of one or two of their fans on 606?

Aren't you first to always take a swipe at the Blues?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 18 Nov 2014, 1:09 pm

The Saint wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Yeah, ok fair point, but at least I persist in watching the Blues fir my sins, and if my wife and daughters did not prefer to shop in Cardiff and my old man was not so mad about them, I would probably watch more of the Ospreys or the Dragons, the Scarlets are a bit of a trek for me, but I do go and watch them on a Friday night or Sunday afternoon if I am in West Wales staying in my caravan. But what I cannot tollerate is somebody calling "our" league Mickey Mouse when the team they support has never done anything of note in it, or in any other competition, yes Ospreys are not as good as the English sides in the European competition, but neither are the Dragons, and the Dragons are nowhere near the standard that the Ospreys are at the moment, so it is a bit rich when they give the Ospreys a hard time about losing to them. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Nov 2014, 2:32 pm

The problem is LD that Ospreys fans have been having a pop at us for daring to beat them! The cheek of it! We're told constantly that we should be 'disbanded' and replaced with someone better, and then when we beat the best team in Wales Ospreys fans have a go at us too. Are we just meant to bow down to the One True Region and accept defeat??? What's the real issue here? Damaged pride? If so, fair enough. But don't slate another Welsh team for winning away from home (Not you LD, other Ospreys fans).

"You took the match too seriously", or words to that effect - do you know how ridiculous that sounds!

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 18 Nov 2014, 2:33 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
The Saint wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Yeah, ok fair point, but at least I persist in watching the Blues fir my sins, and if my wife and daughters did not prefer to shop in Cardiff and my old man was not so mad about them, I would probably watch more of the Ospreys or the Dragons, the Scarlets are a bit of a trek for me, but I do go and watch them on a Friday night or Sunday afternoon if I am in West Wales staying in my caravan. But what I cannot tollerate is somebody calling "our" league Mickey Mouse when the team they support has never done anything of note in it, or in any other competition, yes Ospreys are not as good as the English sides in the European competition, but neither are the Dragons, and the Dragons are nowhere near the standard that the Ospreys are at the moment, so it is a bit rich when they give the Ospreys a hard time about losing to them. OK

Yeah, that's why our development team managed a try-scoring 35m driving maul against them. Because they're so ace.

Is there a crayon font I can use on here to explain the rugby to you Lord D? Honestly I might as well talk with Lady Gaga about it as respond to your posts.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Nov 2014, 2:36 pm

You are a bit sensitive if you form an opinion on something, based on anonymous people on a chat forum mind.

Ospreys are that much better than the Dragons that they were a missed drop goal away from losing to us in September. If you're such a fan of all four regions, why are you getting involved in somebody else's argument? Think it's clear where your loyalties lie.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 18 Nov 2014, 3:23 pm

What really got me annoyed was Stone Motif the imperial mr my opinions should not be questioned, calling the Pro12 a Mickey Mouse league and making out that being top of said league does not count for anything. Well, who is he to say that when his team are languishing in tenth spot in the same Mickey Mouse league, the Pro twelve is far from a Mickey Mouse league.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Welsh Magician Tue 18 Nov 2014, 5:14 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
The Saint wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Yeah, that's why our development team managed a try-scoring 35m driving maul against them.  Because they're so ace.

Is there a crayon font I can use on here to explain the rugby to you Lord D?  Honestly I might as well talk with Lady Gaga about it as respond to your posts.
Development pack, of course it was. Very Happy You won fair and square, but once again it was only an LV cup match, a development tournament that won't even exist in its current form from next season. It is also rich having a go at Ospreys over losing away in Europe when you couldn't manage to beat one of the worst English sides at home in your big European game. The main arguing point here was that Dragons somehow have better depth than Ospreys do which would mean Ospreys finish below Dragons in the table. I think that has already been dispelled without having to wait until the end of the season, and no matter how much you try to discredit the league it will still be your only chance of getting into the top tier of European competition. Perhaps you should take it more serious after all.

Welsh Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Nov 2014, 6:00 pm

Not sure if anyone listened to the Scrum V radio show on BBC Wales last Thursday but they had interviews with Pivac and Kingsley. It was obvious from listening to them that coaches have different interpreations of the competition.

Pivac said they were using their game against the Blues as a development and giving young lads a run and introducing them into the Regional set up.

For the Os game at least Kingsley was saying that they were using this game as a way of trying to restore a bit of confidence within the whole squad and bringing players back from injury. He did admit that the side to face the Os was likley to be more experienced than the team that played our last Guinness League game, its just the way things were.

He also said that whilst other Regions use the LV as a development we have to use the Guinness in the main and develop players in our league structure.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 18 Nov 2014, 7:09 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Not sure if anyone listened to the Scrum V radio show on BBC Wales last Thursday but they had interviews with Pivac and Kingsley.  It was obvious from listening to them that coaches have different interpreations of the competition.

Pivac said they were using their game against the Blues as a development and giving young lads a run and introducing them into the Regional set up.

For the Os game at least Kingsley was saying that they were using this game as a way of trying to restore a bit of confidence within the whole squad and bringing players back from injury.  He did admit that the side to face the Os was likley to be more experienced than the team that played our last Guinness League game, its just the way things were.

He also said that whilst other Regions use the LV as a development we have to use the Guinness in the main and develop players in our league structure.
BW, I didn't know about that interview, thanks for the insight, have I read it right and he said you use the Guinness as the development competition and the LV as the most important if true the sooner you get rid of him the better IMO, you CANNOT qualify for any other competition by winning this, this can only be done by finishing higher up in the Guinness League, I had to respond as one of your supporters was lying yet again, we do use the LV as a development tool, we did in IIRC 2010 against Northampton, one of the players playing that night was Scott Baldwin he was our 3rd choice hooker at the time, look where he is now.
One of the posters above reckoned there was only 5 first choice players in that squad, I would say there were at least 10 players in that squad who would be in your first choice squad team, the front 5 would all be there, Lewis Evans, Jonathan Evans, Ashley Smith and Tyler Morgan, Price and Gustaffson, with possibly Pewtner and Wardle as well, YES by all means you use it as you see fit, I can understand playing somebody like Brock Harris or players coming back from injury, does Ashley Smith fall into that category, we HAD to play Sam Davies as our 3rd choice OH Luke Price the U20 player broke his leg the weekend before the previous LV game, our coaches had already said Luke would have been playing the LV series this season.
As far as some of the other allegations, I do NOT believe and NEVER HAVE wanted the Dragons disbanded or made into a development Region, IMO the WRU have treated you very badly and should just hand over the other 50% THAT THEY HOLD in your Region.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Tue 18 Nov 2014, 7:42 pm

Gustaffson is 3/4rd choice hooker or 4th choice LH

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Nov 2014, 7:46 pm

Wayne,

The way I meant and the way Kingsley meant is that a lot of time we have no option but to blood youngsters in the Guinnes out of neccesity so that competition then becomes a development.

In one game this season against Leinster I think all our backline bar Richie Rees and Byrne were under 21
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Nov 2014, 7:48 pm

No, I said five first choice players for definite started, as it has been said it was our first choice team. The definites are (I think), Boris, Harris, Landman, Evans (albeit at 8) and Ash Smith. It could be said Elliott Dee too, but I would say TRT shares the shirt about the same.

We also have to establish combinations for the next few weeks in the league game, so it made sense to have Ash playing with another centre.

What Kingsley meant was we had more experience than the game v Ulster (our last league game), as we have suffered injuries. Nothing to do with prioritising competitions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Nov 2014, 8:36 pm

wayne wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Not sure if anyone listened to the Scrum V radio show on BBC Wales last Thursday but they had interviews with Pivac and Kingsley.  It was obvious from listening to them that coaches have different interpreations of the competition.

For the Os game at least Kingsley was saying that they were using this game as a way of trying to restore a bit of confidence within the whole squad and bringing players back from injury.  He did admit that the side to face the Os was likley to be more experienced than the team that played our last Guinness League game, its just the way things were.

BW, I didn't know about that interview, thanks for the insight, have I read it right and he said you use the Guinness as the development competition and the LV as the most important if true the sooner you get rid of him the better IMO, you CANNOT qualify for any other competition by winning this, this can only be done by finishing higher up in the Guinness League, I had to respond as one of your supporters was lying yet again, we do use the LV as a development tool, we did in IIRC 2010 against Northampton, one of the players playing that night was Scott Baldwin he was our 3rd choice hooker at the time, look where he is now.
One of the posters above reckoned there was only 5 first choice players in that squad, I would say there were at least 10 players in that squad who would be in your first choice squad team, the front 5 would all be there, Lewis Evans, Jonathan Evans, Ashley Smith and Tyler Morgan, Price and Gustaffson, with possibly Pewtner and Wardle as well, YES by all means you use it as you see fit, I can understand playing somebody like Brock Harris or players coming back from injury, does Ashley Smith fall into that category, we HAD to play Sam Davies as our 3rd choice OH Luke Price the U20 player broke his leg the weekend before the previous LV game, our coaches had already said Luke would have been playing the LV series this season.
As far as some of the other allegations, I do NOT believe and NEVER HAVE wanted the Dragons disbanded or made into a development Region, IMO the WRU have treated you very badly and should just hand over the other 50% THAT THEY HOLD in your Region.

Wayne, I'm not wanting to get into an argument but I'd say only 5 players aware Dragons first choices.
Stankovich
Dee the hooker at a push - he seems to be sharing the jersey with T Rhys Thomas
Lewis Evans - although out of position. He's not an 8.
Jonathan Evans

Brok Harris had never played before, so impossible to be called 1st choice.
Cory Hill - has struggled to break into the team regularly.
James Thomas and James Benjamin - academy/ fringe players
Dorian Jones - who?!
Ashton Hewitt - Newport RFC player called up to cover injuries. 18 years old future prospect. But not first choice.
Tyler Morgan - as above.
Ashley Smith - rumoured ro be leaving in the summer as he was down the pecking order but called back up due to injuries (of which is is also returning himself).
Wardle - 2nd choice winger called into centre due to centre injury crisis (see above)
Geraint Jones - who?!

The bench had some more 1st team players (Tovey and Pewtner at a push) but saying Gustafson is 1st team is so wide of the mark! 3rd choice Hooker, occasional prop cover, generally useless.

The Ospreys had the likes of Fussell, Dirksen, Beck and Natoga who all featured regularly in the first team last year at various times. And I've seen a lot of Sam Davies from the bench so he must be more than 3rd choice. Probably more like bench cover since Matthew Morgan left?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Nov 2014, 8:39 pm

Risca Rev wrote:No, I said five first choice players for definite started, as it has been said it was our first choice team. The definites are (I think), Boris, Harris, Landman, Evans (albeit at 8) and Ash Smith. It could be said Elliott Dee too, but I would say TRT shares the shirt about the same.

We also have to establish combinations for the next few weeks in the league game, so it made sense to have Ash playing with another centre.

What Kingsley meant was we had more experience than the game v Ulster (our last league game), as we have suffered injuries. Nothing to do with prioritising competitions.

We cross posted, but had it pretty much the same! Skills!

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 18 Nov 2014, 8:57 pm

BW, you need to look in that crystal ball again, you haven't played Leinster this season yet, if you are talking about a back line of Rees, O'Brien, Dixon, Morgan, Amos, AN Other and Byrne that is probably your best back line, apart from probably Smith, now that was probably picked through necessity, at the beginning of this season both Tovey and Brew would be in there, but look where it has got you, Amos and Morgan going by reports have a Welsh DC.
Rev, the game today is NOT a 15 man team, it is 23 and as I said there are around 10, 11, or even 12 players on duty in that game that would be in your first team squad, I also said if Smith was returning from injury I could accept his inclusion, I included him as he wasn't available against us in the Guinness earlier in the season, yet he wasn't he's actually played a few games.
At the start of this season if you asked the majority of Os fans the best front row we could have selected would have been with Jarvis and D. Jones as the 2 props as Bevington was injured, we gambled with Nicky Smith and Arhip in a game, them with Baldwin are now first choice and look where Smith will be on Saturday.
We actually found out a couple of our players will NEVER make it at Guinness Level after last weeks game and that a few in a couple of years will be at that level with the right exposure at the required level.
This is not a witch hunt on my part, I genuinely WANT 4 strong teams within Wales.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Nov 2014, 9:07 pm

I didn't know Ash Smith was leaving, always thought he was the player that made us tick just pity he was injured so often.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Nov 2014, 9:10 pm

Wayne,

I did say think it was Leinster lol. Tovey hasn't been all that this year and think we should give O'Brien a decent run and Brew has took his time settling in.

Also Byrne likely to be out for roughly 3 months now as well so guessing Amos or Prydie will get extended run at XV
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Nov 2014, 9:13 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:I didn't know Ash Smith was leaving, always thought he was the player that made us tick just pity he was injured so often.

Sorry, meant contract not being renewed. I think he was meant to be part of the clear out. But then he was re-signed again and was needed.

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 18 Nov 2014, 9:40 pm

[quote="Griff"][quote="wayne"]
bedfordwelsh wrote:

Wayne, I'm not wanting to get into an argument but I'd say only 5 players aware Dragons first choices.
Stankovich Correct
Dee the hooker at a push - he seems to be sharing the jersey with T Rhys Thomas correct
Lewis Evans - although out of position. He's not an 8. Many 6s play 8
Jonathan Evans I would have him equal with Rees

Brok Harris had never played before, so impossible to be called 1st choice. Wrong your fans were all saying they were waiting for him to be your first choice
Cory Hill - has struggled to break into the team regularly. Wrong, apart from the first few games this season he is your Sub
James Thomas and James Benjamin - academy/ fringe players I never included these
Dorian Jones - who?! Above
Ashton Hewitt - Newport RFC player called up to cover injuries. 18 years old future prospect. But not first choice. Above
Tyler Morgan - as above. I couldn't stop laughing at this he is being offered a Wales DC
Ashley Smith - rumoured ro be leaving in the summer as he was down the pecking order but called back up due to injuries (of which is is also returning himself). When we beat you in the Guinness most of you on here said he would be first choice when he came back
Wardle - 2nd choice winger called into centre due to centre injury crisis (see above) still in your squad on a regular basis, he'll be mentioned again later
Geraint Jones - who?! Never mentioned

The bench had some more 1st team players (Tovey and Pewtner at a push) but saying Gustafson is 1st team is so wide of the mark! 3rd choice Hooker, occasional prop cover, generally useless. Agree on the first 2 the 3rd has played MANY times for you, if he is so useless get rid of him

The Ospreys had the likes of Fussell, Dirksen, Beck and Natoga who all featured regularly in the first team last year at various times. And I've seen a lot of Sam Davies from the bench so he must be more than 3rd choice. Probably more like bench cover since Matthew Morgan left? Fussell has NOT even been on the bench until last weeks first game in the LV against SARACENS, Dirksen was a winger who has had numerous injuries and selected in the centre to start for the first time in an Ospreys shirt, he was replacement back the previous weekend and replaced Beck who was selected in the centre the previous week for the first time since injury, Natoga has been playing Welsh Premiership for Bridgend this season, Hassler, Walker, Grabham and Dirksen are all in front of him. I explained the Sam Davies situation he is clearly 2nd choice OH with us, he would NOT have been in the squad as our coaches had already said in one of our press conferences that Luke Price one of our academy players would have been playing in these series of matches, as he broke his leg the weekend before the start of these series of matches he was NOT available
I've given you instances of where blooding some youngsters has materially affected both our teams in the short and long term. As you say I also don't want to get into an argument, I'm just going to leave it at that, Thanks

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:23 pm

Oh I see Wayne, so you're talking about match day 'squads'. I was talking about first 15. My mistake. But again, looking at the Ospreys squad, your criteria, when they played the Dragons last week a large number of those players have been in your match day squads this season:

Parry, Suter, Bernardo, Roberts, Davies, Dirksen , Dan Evans- all in your match day squad for 1st game of the Pro 12 against Treviso.
Parry, Griffiths, Roberts, Davies, Dirksen - all in the squad for the awesome away win against Munster.
Beck, Natoga, Thornton, Habberfield, Marc Thomas, Parry, Dan Evans, Roberts - all in the squad against Connacht at home.

My point is: if we're comparing match day squads (not first team 15s) like you suggest, then you had just as many out there as us! Again, not trying to argue just trying to point out in case you weren't aware.

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed 19 Nov 2014, 7:59 am

Looking at those squads fror that LV game, youngsters, development, 3rd string, whatever. The Ospreys should've won imo. To be 40 odd points down at home (if we're embracing regionalism) is embarrassing. Ok the secong half comeback was impressisve but a shocking first half display. Well played the NGD's...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Nov 2014, 12:29 pm

I wasn't confident of turning over the Ospreys side that was picked. I certainly didn't expect that scoreline just after halftime.

Not that it'll matter anyway, when we probably get turned over by Munster on Friday.

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 20 Nov 2014, 7:27 pm

Very tough game tomorrow, will be surprised, no overjoyed if we get anything out of this game, 10 on International duty and another 12 out injured. All obviously wouldn't be in the first team squad.
Team Dan Evans, Tom Grabham, Andrew Bishop, Ashley Beck, Isaea Natoga, Sam Davies, Martin Roberts, Duncan Jones, Sam Parry, Dmitri Arhip, Lloyd Peers, Rynier Bernardo, James King, Sam Lewis, Dan Baker
We are missing to the AIs, AWJ, Tipuric, Biggar, Webb, Smith, Jarvis, Baldwin Ardron, Hassler and Matavesi
That is a very good back row and the half backs and the wings are not bad with ball in hand, yet very weak defensively, hope Parry's lineout throwing gets a lot better in this game. Interesting story about Arhip, he played for Moldova last weekend and they have a game again this weekend, yet they released him saying that the level of competition in our League is a step above their International, and it would improve his advancement so released him back to us.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 23 Nov 2014, 11:35 am

Is Ieuan Jones still with you guys?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 23 Nov 2014, 5:00 pm

The Saint wrote:Is Ieuan Jones still with you guys?
On the bench last Friday

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 26 Nov 2014, 3:03 pm

Nicky Smith is out for four months... Shame as he was having a great season.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 28 Nov 2014, 2:04 pm

Teams up for Sats game at Leinster, k.o 1715..

Leinster: Z Kirchner; D Fanning, F McFadden, I Madigan, D Kearney: J Gopperth, E Reddan (captain); M Bent, B Byrne, T Furlong; M McCarthy, K Douglas: D Ryan, J Murphy, J Conan.

Replacements: J Tracy, P Dooley, J Hagan, T Denton, R Ruddock, I Boss, N Reid, G D'Arcy.

Ospreys: Dan Evans; Aisea Natoga, Andrew Bishop, Hanno Dirksen, Tom Grabham; Sam Davies, Martin Roberts; Marc Thomas, Sam Parry, Dmitri Arhip, Lloyd Peers (capt), Tyler Ardron, Joe Bearman, Sam Lewis, Dan Baker.

Replacements: Scott Otten, Gareth Thomas, Cai Griffiths, Rynier Bernardo, Ieuan Jones, Tom Habberfield, Josh Matavesi, Dafydd Howells.

Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 28 Nov 2014, 6:47 pm

Weak engine room for the Ospreys there, contrast with the entire Leinster back 5 that is looking wuite strong. O's back-row is alright, but that trio seemed to lack direction against Northampton.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 28 Nov 2014, 10:05 pm

The Saint wrote:Weak engine room for the Ospreys there, contrast with the entire Leinster back 5 that is looking wuite strong. O's back-row is alright, but that trio seemed to lack direction against Northampton.
Saint, the Ospreys back row against Northampton was 6)King 7)Tipuric 8)Bearman, as for the engine room yes you are right, can't understand why Bernardo is not there starting, I think our coaches have given up on this game, why also we haven't gone out to get an experienced loose head is mystifying to most on our board, with both Duncan and Nicky getting injured in the last week.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 28 Nov 2014, 10:08 pm

Wayne, didn't Bearman come on for King in that game, or was it Baker? Lewis was on at some point too.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 28 Nov 2014, 10:16 pm

The Saint wrote:Wayne, didn't Bearman come on for King in that game, or was it Baker? Lewis was on at some point too.
Lewis did come on, Bearman started, Baker neither started or was on the bench, Morgan Allen was the other bench option.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat 29 Nov 2014, 7:08 pm

Absolutely outstanding point gained, never expected that, with that group of players

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 29 Nov 2014, 7:13 pm

That was a pretty grim game, not sure either side deserved to win. I guess with the team they had out the Spreys should feel pleased that it was close and they got a point but unfortunately they have now lost the last two and are going to slip down the table a little bit.

Once again the 4th international does the regional teams no favours, it won't help them next week either.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next