The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IRB name change

+23
doctor_grey
Barney McGrew did it
GunsGerms
Biltong
No 7&1/2
quinsforever
Neutralee
Cyril
SecretFly
fa0019
emack2
lostinwales
The Great Aukster
Notch
Bathman_in_London
disneychilly
Sin é
HongKongCherry
Rugby Fan
kiakahaaotearoa
Geordie
The Saint
Scrumpy
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

IRB name change - Page 2 Empty IRB name change

Post by Scrumpy Thu 28 Aug 2014, 11:40 am

First topic message reminder :

The 'IRB' the sport's governing body will soon to be known as 'World Rugby' from November.

Why? Headscratch

http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/mediazone/pressrelease/newsid=2072837.html#irb+change+name+world+rugby

Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

IRB name change - Page 2 Empty Re: IRB name change

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 29 Aug 2014, 6:35 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:From planetrugby:

"Rugby continues to thrive, reach out and engage new audiences and participants in record numbers and the IRB has been at the heart of that growth," said IRB chairman Bernard Lapasset.

"We are committed to furthering that growth beyond our traditional family and fan base with a public that expects to be entertained, informed and interacted with. This move is more than just a name change, it is a mission statement."

"In a crowded global entertainment and sporting marketplace, the role of the IRB has evolved from Game regulator to Game inspirer," explained IRB Chief Executive Brett Gosper.

"With this we must continue to appeal to those who know and love the sport and its heritage, while attracting, engaging and inspiring those who have no connection with the sport across multiple cultures and languages around the world."

"World Rugby collectively has the ingredients and tools to do just that. Rugby's global appeal is founded and positioned on its unique character-building values and inclusive ethos and we want everyone to feel connected with the sport and Rugby's ongoing success story."

"World Rugby clearly aligns our name with our mission and allows us to organise new and existing consumer facing properties in a way that they will be more impactful and more appealing to the sport's growing global fan base."

Ok you need a degree in marketing to be able to speak like that. It's easy to be cynical about this impenetrable jargon but I think we'd all feel a lot happier about this rebranding if it was followed up by some policies we could all sink our teeth into.

Well that sounds like Gosper sees to the IRB as a publicity engine rather than a governing body. Which backs up there hands off approach in recent years. They usually don't get involved in anything, unless IRB regs are breached. So I doubt we'll be seeing any game changing policies.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 30 Aug 2014, 10:50 pm

Personally I agree with the name change/rebrand and can see the benefits. But wouldnt it be just as simple to fix the scrum laws and let the halfback put the ball under his hookers feet, now that would really move the game along.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 31 Aug 2014, 12:11 am

HammerofThunor wrote:
kiakahaaotearoa wrote:From planetrugby:

"Rugby continues to thrive, reach out and engage new audiences and participants in record numbers and the IRB has been at the heart of that growth," said IRB chairman Bernard Lapasset.

"We are committed to furthering that growth beyond our traditional family and fan base with a public that expects to be entertained, informed and interacted with. This move is more than just a name change, it is a mission statement."

"In a crowded global entertainment and sporting marketplace, the role of the IRB has evolved from Game regulator to Game inspirer," explained IRB Chief Executive Brett Gosper.

"With this we must continue to appeal to those who know and love the sport and its heritage, while attracting, engaging and inspiring those who have no connection with the sport across multiple cultures and languages around the world."

"World Rugby collectively has the ingredients and tools to do just that. Rugby's global appeal is founded and positioned on its unique character-building values and inclusive ethos and we want everyone to feel connected with the sport and Rugby's ongoing success story."

"World Rugby clearly aligns our name with our mission and allows us to organise new and existing consumer facing properties in a way that they will be more impactful and more appealing to the sport's growing global fan base."

Ok you need a degree in marketing to be able to speak like that. It's easy to be cynical about this impenetrable jargon but I think we'd all feel a lot happier about this rebranding if it was followed up by some policies we could all sink our teeth into.

Well that sounds like Gosper sees to the IRB as a publicity engine rather than a governing body. Which backs up there hands off approach in recent years. They usually don't get involved in anything, unless IRB regs are breached. So I doubt we'll be seeing any game changing policies.

The IRB is also a tournament organiser (the company that runs the world cup is a subsidiary of theirs). According to their 2012 accounts - they have 68 employees and they dole out about 40m per annum. They spent 77K on the last world cup logo. Wink I'd imagine a fair bit of time would have gone into getting 7s into the Olympics as well as organising 7s tournament around the world.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Mon 01 Sep 2014, 8:52 pm

I'm waiting for the 'mission statement'.

Whistle

I couldn't really give a monkeys about the name change tbh.

Making sure that the existing laws are refereed consistently is more important.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Sep 2014, 5:45 am

IRB or whatever they're called now don't think much of the All Blacks as a marketing tool. Pretty funny that the reigning champions aren't mentioned in propaganda for the next RWC.

Poor All Blacks, boohoo

Cry

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11317797

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 02 Sep 2014, 7:39 am

If you ask me the AB's will just be more motivated
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 02 Sep 2014, 8:14 am

The old man talking whose peak had well and truly passed him by represented NZ...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Sep 2014, 1:26 am

Now NZ doesn't exist on the IRB map of the world for the next RWC. This is becoming too much to bear. Ah, the UK is not on the map either. These IRB fullas are sharp.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11318976

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu 04 Sep 2014, 10:10 am

Not having the host country or the holders on the map is a good one...!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 04 Sep 2014, 10:46 am

doctor_grey wrote:Disagree. I read on the internet the stars and sun revolve about the earth, which is flat, by the way.  And if on the internet, it must be true.

AAAgggghhhh I come on here to avoid listening to the bloke in my office spout stuff like that. And now I'm reading it on here too
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2