The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales - The long and winding road to France

+25
JamesLincs
The Saint
whocares
Ent
bedfordwelsh
super_realist
FootballLight
monty junior
Kay Fabe
Lowlandbrit
spencerclarke
WelshDevilRob
Adam D
NickisBHAFC
Good Golly I'm Olly
JDizzle
freemo
Jimmy Moz
Fernando
Stella
Hammersmith harrier
Duty281
Liam
westisbest
Steffan
29 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Wales - The long and winding road to France - Page 3 Empty Wales - The long and winding road to France

Post by Steffan Sun 31 Aug 2014, 6:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

So here we are at the start of another campaign

Chris Coleman will no doubt be looking at star players in Aaron Ramsey and the most expensive signing ever in Gareth Bale along with other top flight players such as Joe Allen and Ashley Williams to see his team through. Wales also have two exciting youngsters in Jonathan Williams and 18 year old George Williams

The campaign starts on the 9th of September against Andorra away. This it is fair to say, is not only a game Wales have to win from a points perspective, but a loss or arguably even a draw would get the men in red off to a disastrous start which would effect the whole confidence and momentum of the campaign

The FAW have placed faith in Coleman as the man to lead Wales to our first major tournament in nearly 60 years

Can he do it...most will say a firm no. The is understandable...but with probably the strongest squad Wales have had since falling at the final hurdle for Euro 2004...the boys are hoping to give a good shot

Gorau Chwarae Cyd Chwarae Wales

Last edited by Steffan on Sun 31 Aug 2014, 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling Error)

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Wales - The long and winding road to France - Page 3 Empty Re: Wales - The long and winding road to France

Post by The Saint Mon 22 Jun 2015, 1:13 pm

How were the mighty Belgium the second best side in the world Steffan? Very Happy

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Wales - The long and winding road to France - Page 3 Empty Re: Wales - The long and winding road to France

Post by Steffan Mon 22 Jun 2015, 1:17 pm

The Saint wrote:How were the mighty Belgium the second best side in the world Steffan? Very Happy
I agree with you completely that the rankings are a bit dodgy to say the least. Belgium did not look second best in the world

There is also no way that the mighty world beaters England are fifteenth best in the world

A good ranking means a good group though so its good news even if it is a bit fickle. I'm happy for the system to work to our advantage Very Happy

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 22 Jun 2015, 1:21 pm

Well there we go then. Engage your brain before following up my comments with dumb replies.

England, nevermind, there's always FIFA 15 for PS4 and Xbox where you're actually rated quite highly...

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 22 Jun 2015, 1:23 pm

The Saint wrote:Well there we go then. Engage your brain before following up my comments with dumb replies
Sod off

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Mon 22 Jun 2015, 1:31 pm

banter

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 10 Jul 2015, 7:33 am

10th in the world!
Wales - The long and winding road to France - Page 3 BYBMAvfIYAA_pKT

Jimmy crack corn and I don't care!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 11 Jul 2015, 3:15 pm

Yes 10th in the world. Not bad for a nation of 3 million that doesn't even have a professional football league Wales

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 06 Aug 2015, 2:14 pm

Wales reach new Fifa rankings high of ninth place

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33799824

Wales have moved up one place in the latest Fifa rankings to a new high of ninth.
Chris Coleman's side are now above the Netherlands, who have dropped down to 12th.

England have also climbed a place to eighth, while Scotland are down three places to 32nd and Northern Ireland also drop by three to 40th.

Argentina remain in the number one spot, with Belgium back up to second and Germany in third.

Wales beat Belgium in a Euro 2016 qualifier in June, which resulted in a leap of 12 places in last month's rankings to reach the top 10 for the first time since they were introduced in 1993.

Cyprus will be Wales' next opponents on 3 September, with a home game against Israel to follow three days later.

Coleman's side are three points clear of Belgium with four games left in the qualifying campaign.

Wales

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 06 Aug 2015, 2:16 pm

What have Belgium possibly done to be ranked second in the world? Or Romania 7th?

Joke of a system.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 06 Aug 2015, 2:18 pm

Duty281 wrote:What have Belgium possibly done to be ranked second in the world? Or Romania 7th?

Joke of a system.
Who cares? I don't as we are in the top 10

So are your lot so you should be happy

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 24 Aug 2015, 3:43 pm

10 days to go Steff! If we win in Cyprus, I think we will top the group, as I am certain we will beat Israel and Andorra at home.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 24 Aug 2015, 4:39 pm

Adam D wrote:10 days to go Steff! If we win in Cyprus, I think we will top the group, as I am certain we will beat Israel and Andorra at home.
My brother and nephew are off to the Cyprus game as it goes and I'll be at the home games of course for Israel and Andorra. I would love us to finish unbeaten but I'll just be happy with any form of qualification. Should beat Andorra. I'll take a draw against Israel. Hard to imagine not getting full points against Cyprus away although its roasting over there this time of year

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 01 Sep 2015, 5:18 pm

Just two days to go.

The odds look horrible for Wales (we are odds on). When have we ever been favourite away from home?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 03 Sep 2015, 8:37 am

The day is upon us

Gorau Chwarae Cyd Chwarae Wales

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 03 Sep 2015, 12:28 pm

Wow, even I am getting excited by this now, I will be supporting Wales tonight. Does anybody know anything about Cyprus ? I know they had a team in the CL last season, Apoel Nicosea or something like that, are they going to be a threat to us out there ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 03 Sep 2015, 12:35 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Wow, even I am getting excited by this now, I will be supporting Wales tonight. Does anybody know anything about Cyprus ? I know they had a team in the CL last season, Apoel Nicosea or something like that, are they going to be a threat to us out there ?
It's a really hot Greek island laughing

All jokes aside I think the heat will be their advantage. I've been out there this time of year and its beyond

Other than that we should get the 3 points but I take nothing for guaranteed even though this Welsh side is awesome

Nicosia is where the game is at LD

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 03 Sep 2015, 1:11 pm

I don't rate cyprus or isreal. After we've played them twice we were comfortable until andy king's red vs cyprus, and even then they were poor. Normally i would be cautious and say we can't underestimate them but we are by far a better team and have all the momentumn in the world. We should be aiming for the 2 wins because its done and dusted then. Think we'll win 2-0 tonight and then beat an average israel team on sunday!

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 03 Sep 2015, 1:12 pm

Steffan wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Wow, even I am getting excited by this now, I will be supporting Wales tonight. Does anybody know anything about Cyprus ? I know they had a team in the CL last season, Apoel Nicosea or something like that, are they going to be a threat to us out there ?
It's a really hot Greek island laughing

All jokes aside I think the heat will be their advantage. I've been out there this time of year and its beyond

Other than that we should get the 3 points but I take nothing for guaranteed even though this Welsh side is awesome

Nicosia is where the game is at LD

Steff, a couple of my mates who I play 5 a-side with are football nuts, they follow Cardiff FC everywhere. I spoke to one of them who is over there to watch this game and he told me it is 38 degrees over there. That will be a nightmare to play in, but at least it is at night time, and I suppose Gareth Bale is used to playing in these conditions with Madrid. Come on, if we can get a draw out in Belgium, a win in Israel, surely we can get a result in Cyprus.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 03 Sep 2015, 1:21 pm

I wouldn't be too worried by the heat. It may be 38 degrees during the afternoon, but the Cyprus-Wales game will be played at 21:45 local time, when the temperature is 24-26 degrees and is far more manageable.

Besides, look after the ball and the heat isn't a factor!

Glancing at the Cyprus squad, there isn't too much to worry about. One of their prominent defenders is a League one player, the rest are mostly local players.

Should be a comfortable win for Wales.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 03 Sep 2015, 5:24 pm

Ledley is out. Not the worst loss but would be nice to have him back for Sundays match

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 03 Sep 2015, 8:35 pm

The game is being ruined by incompetent officiating.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 03 Sep 2015, 8:36 pm

That disallowed goal was a disgrace

Ref is not corrupt but seems very incompetent

Just hope Ramsey and Bale start to play better in the second half

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 03 Sep 2015, 8:44 pm

Still 0-0? I was hoping Wales would wrap this up early. Then Northern Ireland can get a move on tomorrow too. Could have all four of us in there if we're lucky.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 03 Sep 2015, 9:40 pm

Yes!!!!!!!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 03 Sep 2015, 9:42 pm

One more win and Wales are there??

Well done on the win and the qualifiers so far.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 03 Sep 2015, 9:44 pm

westisbest wrote:One more win and Wales are there??

Well done on the win and the qualifiers so far.
Beat Israel and we are there. I'm off to the match and probably wont sleep now

In regards to the match tonight...stop doing this to me Wales but well done Yahoo

Wales

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 03 Sep 2015, 9:45 pm

Deserved win for the Welsh.

Pathetic refereeing nearly cost them two points.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 03 Sep 2015, 10:22 pm

Great result and now so close. Well done Welsh lads.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 04 Sep 2015, 4:58 pm

Madness!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34150058

Four years ago Wales were rated 117th in world football's Fifa rankings - but they could soon move up to second.
Following their 1-0 victory over Cyprus on Thursday in the Euro 2016 qualifiers, Wales are on the brink of reaching their first major tournament in 58 years.
And if results go their way they could move from ninth to above World Cup winners Germany and Brazil in October's rankings.
So how can Chris Coleman's side - once ranked below Azerbaijan and Guyana - rise further up the standings?
BBC Sport looks at how Wales could achieve it.

Beat Israel and go fourth

Wales - The long and winding road to France - Page 3 _85363544_wales_rankings_snip
Beating Israel would take Wales above 1300 Fifa ranking points...
This is the (relatively) easy part of the equation for Wales.
If they can beat Israel on Sunday with a packed Cardiff City Stadium roaring them on, not only will they secure qualification for the Euros, they will also be guaranteed to be at least fourth when the next Fifa rankings come out.
This is because some of the teams above them - Colombia, Brazil, Portugal and Chile - are playing friendlies rather than competitive internationals, for which fewer points are on offer. Even if they win their games, they would drop below Chris Coleman's side.
Wales - The long and winding road to France - Page 3 _85364709_brazil_rankings_snip
...In which case, even two wins for Brazil would not be enough to stop Wales from overtaking them

Jump above Germany into third?

To break into the top three, Wales need other results to go their way.
Current third-placed team Germany can hold onto their spot if they win both their upcoming Euro qualifiers against Poland and Scotland.
Wales - The long and winding road to France - Page 3 _85364711_germany_rankings_snip
A good result for Scotland at Hampden Park could help Wales to overtake Germany
But even a draw in one of those matches for Germany would send Wales up to third - provided they beat Israel.

Second in the world?

Wales - The long and winding road to France - Page 3 _85362771_richards_getty
Wales have already beaten Belgium in Euro 2016 qualifying - now could they muscle them out of second place in the world rankings?
It could happen, Wales fans - but it requires Cyprus to do them a massive favour.
If the islanders can beat Belgium in Nicosia on Sunday night, then that - combined with the other results mentioned - would see Wales officially ranked the second-best football team in the world.
Wales - The long and winding road to France - Page 3 _85364713_belgium_rankings_snip
Wales can oust Belgium from second place if Marc Wilmots' team lose in Cyprus

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 04 Sep 2015, 4:59 pm

Yeah I seen this and it is crazy but lets hope it happens hey Smile

Wales

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 06 Sep 2015, 2:29 pm

Enjoy the game steff!!

So jealous!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sun 06 Sep 2015, 7:01 pm

How's qualifying going? Just as well you didn't win. The fact a team who can only get 2-1 wins over Andorra and Cyprus, a 1-0 win over Cyrpus and 0-0 draws with Bosnia & Belgium can get so close to being 4th in the FIFA rankings show what a joke the rankings are.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 06 Sep 2015, 8:00 pm

Interesting need to antagonise there. Probably a good thing Steffan isnt around!

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 06 Sep 2015, 8:29 pm

Fair play to Wales.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Mon 07 Sep 2015, 9:37 am

Not hating on Wales. Just the FIFA rankings system. Wales have been good but not 4th in the world good.

They've partly been helped in the draw becasue Belgium and Bosnia aren't as strong as the rankings said they were. Another country will be helped by the rankings when they draw Wales in a year or two.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 07 Sep 2015, 9:54 am

Does anyone take notice of the rankings? Obviously yes, so stupid question.

Wales look odds on now. Can N Ireland join the party?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:54 am

England, already qualified, Wales on the verge, think N Ireland will join them.

Hopefully Scotland wont be there, as obviously hoping ROI make it.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 07 Sep 2015, 12:15 pm

I really hope whichever one of scotland or Ireland finishes third goes on to get through the playoff. Odd format now but would still be special with 4 from around these shores there

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 19 Sep 2015, 3:23 pm

CFCNick wrote:How's qualifying going? Just as well you didn't win. The fact a team who can only get 2-1 wins over Andorra and Cyprus, a 1-0 win over Cyrpus and 0-0 draws with Bosnia & Belgium can get so close to being 4th in the FIFA rankings show what a joke the rankings are.
Qualifying is going well thanks. Well only need a point to make it to France 2016. Lets just hope we get it hey. Not sure why you are happy we didn't win. Thought you England fans wanted all the home nations to do well. Well that's what I have been told by you all for the last 25 years. Clearly not though...

As for the rankings...take your annoyance up with FIFA and don't blame us. We don't make up the rules even if the rankings are a "joke"

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 19 Sep 2015, 3:30 pm

Bitterness from other nations aside and back to the football...

I was at the match and despite pretty much dominating the whole game we didn't quite get the winning goal. If we can't get a point against Andorra after all the hard work then we don't deserve to be at Euro 2016

Bosnia away will not be easy but I still think our awesome defence who are the ones who got us in this great position will hold out and we should be good enough to get the draw if not get a cheeky win

Wales

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 10 Oct 2015, 8:35 pm

45 minutes left to secure a place in France 2016...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Oct 2015, 9:16 pm

Bosnia 1-0 Wales, but Israel are losing

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 10 Oct 2015, 9:17 pm

Doesn't really matter if Wales lose, they have a guaranteed three points against Andorra coming up.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 10 Oct 2015, 9:39 pm

Needless to say I am looking forward to tonight's final Euro 2016 qualifying game...and its quite surreal that we that we are playing Andorra. Who would have thought that 11 months ago when we went down 1-0 to them away in the first match that we would be here now tonight already qualified

Also...in November 2011 we lost our manager under the most horrible circumstances possible...and who would have thought back then we would be going to France 2016. Its been a hard fought 4 years with many ups and downs...but guess what Wales....We did it

Yahoo

Wales

Regards

Steffan

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 13 Oct 2015, 1:48 pm

Is it Ale time yet?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 06 Oct 2016, 11:19 pm

Jimmy Moz wrote:
Like I say I wouldn't take it personally as the case has always been that England dislike everyone else in the British Isles and everyone else dislikes them. Lets hope Wales and the Republic of Ireland can have a successful campaign hey and wipe the smiles of their faces. Good luck in your next game. J

I think the smiles were wiped off... Remember Iceland Wink. A 2 all draw with Austria away, not bad. The long and winding road to Russia - Wales are coming thumbsup.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3