The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+30
Mad for Chelsea
lorus59
westisbest
I'm never wrong
skiddy
GunsGerms
Adam D
Be_the_ball
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
Plunky
Roller_Coaster
Bob_the_Job
MustPuttBetter
BlueCoverman
SmithersJones
Shotrock
gw
gaelgowfer
golfermartin
Davie
kwinigolfer
barragan
Sand
Diggers
pedro
incontinentia
beninho
navyblueshorts
McLaren
JAS
34 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:30 am

First topic message reminder :

McLaren wrote:Right now I would rather we still had Wellbeck and little pea and that Falcao had never arrived.  Not too impressed by the signing of Di Maria either.

"We"?? I'm surprised you associate yourself to an organisation that has squandered over £135 this summer, whilst there are homeless people on the streets and starving children in the world!! They could have spent £135m on those things and left the squad alone, finishing top half would still be ok wouldn't it? Especially if so many peoples lives were improved by redirecting transfer monies to charity.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:16 am

McLaren wrote:Whatever you think of Brown, this is one impressive speech which in time may be one of the most important of our generation.

Spoiler:
Thanks for the link Mac. Didn't see it yesterday. Tend to agree with you; didn't know Brown had that sort of thing in him tbh.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:25 am

Impressive stuff from Brown. He would have been better than Darling I think.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:12 pm

Is it just me, or is this no fun at all?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:27 pm

Is what no fun?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:29 pm

Waiting for your country not exist anymore?

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:31 pm

Well, it's a media blackout on polling day.

I'm picking up some lagers on the way home from the polling station tonight so I can get off to sleep and stop checking for updates.

Will awake tomorrow to see what awaits.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:44 pm

I think the no's will win more comfortably than expected. After all, the only Yes vote I've seen on here is from Setup. Even Gael 'doesnae' want independence!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:53 pm

SmithersJones wrote:I think the no's will win more comfortably than expected. After all, the only Yes vote I've seen on here is from Setup. Even Gael 'doesnae' want independence!

I actually only know 2 people who are yes voters, but then it's a socio-demographic thing in many cases, and if you live in a benefits hellhole in Glasgow or Falkirk, then you've not really got much to lose if you vote yes, whilst they also seem to be the most rabidly anti westminster, and still blame Thatcher for everything

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:55 pm

Super

I think it is an intellectual thing. I don't know anyone who I respect in terms of intelligence and ability to think rationally who is voting yes.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:57 pm

Well, I've certainly not heard a rationally sound argument for Independence, so perhaps you have something there, seems to be on emotion and wishful thinking (not to mention a spoonful of bigotry and a mountain of misinformation)

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:14 pm

Ipsos-MORI had something on their web site earlier today breaking down proposed voting preference cf. demographics. A striking one was, lets call it 'affluence', which had it something like 70:30 for 'yes' if from a "poor" area and pretty much the reverse if from a reasonably "well off" area. Graphics not on the site at the moment though for some reason.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:32 pm

s_r,
Funnily enough I was just describing to my apoplectic Ukrainian friend that Cameron seems just like Thatcher, tone deaf to anything but his own doctrine, talking down to the proletariat. You'd think with his Scottish parentage he'd lower his divisive tone a little.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:35 pm

As a diversion, I see THREE footie Managers have been fired already today.
Wonder what the record carnage on one day is?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:55 pm

SmithersJones wrote:I think the no's will win more comfortably than expected. After all, the only Yes vote I've seen on here is from Setup. Even Gael 'doesnae' want independence!

Smithers ... care to explain what you mean by that?

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:17 pm

Simply that you seem the most proudly Scottish of our posters, often using the vernacular in your posts, but you're opposed to independence. Isn't that clear from what I wrote?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:23 pm

SmithersJones wrote:Simply that you seem the most proudly Scottish of our posters, often using the vernacular in your posts, but you're opposed to independence. Isn't that clear from what I wrote?

Perfectly clear. But knowing Gael she's probably waiting to 9:57pm to go cast her vote and will change to a "yes" just to spite you laughing

Surprising thing to me from today's posts is that everyone is trying to work out the demographics of the vote yet I haven't seen anyone point out the obvious (apologies if I missed it).

Seems to be to be far for religion based (and everything that comes with that). I have many Scottish friends who live down here and all are very definitely "no". All are protestant, Edinburgh or Glasgow by origin .. and to put it into football terms, all are Rangers/Hearts fans.

I hadn't heard of a single "yes" supporter until this morning when I chatted on Facebook to a friend who is English, but her partner and much of her family are Catholic Scottish (Celtic fans). Her view was that even people she knew from Scotland but living in England were all strongly "yes" supporters, and the ones still IN Scotland and eligible to vote, even more so.

Fill in the blanks for yourself (Catholic, Celtic, Republican ... Protestant, Rangers, Unionist) - seems very clear to me

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:26 pm

R&A vote "yes" .. God help Scotland if the lesser vote today goes the same way

Incidentally, the TV news report I've just seen about this vote posed the question "does that mean women will be allowed in the clubhouse and on the golf course" Rolling Eyes

No wonder golf has such a bad name amongst the general public (edit - a supplementary question posed on TV while I am typing this asked "does that mean women will play in the same competitions as men) picard

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:17 am

Regardless of what the result of the referendum is, the turn-out is fantastic - all democracies around the world, especially here, should be envious.
Following this is quite compelling - just wish I had some Scotch in the house.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:43 am

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

There's one in the eye for you Salmond. Now, take down your Yes stickers and posters. YOU LOST.

Ale Ale Ale Ale Ale Ale

Just listening to Tommy Sheridan on 5 Live. I think he's even more of a bell end than Salmond, if that's possible. Ghastly, bitter, uneducated, irrational moron.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:40 am

Well done Scotland, the right choice in the end. Definitely think Scotland better off in the Union. Now I wonder just how much this pointless exercise has cost the tax payer?

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:22 am

So you're not moving to Norway super?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:31 am

Not right now.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:37 am

Hey ho, close but no cigar. Certainly not a pointless exercise, lots more devolved power in the future, probably UK wide.
Also very real chance the 16 and 17 year olds will now be included in the franchise which would be a hugely positive step.
I've really enjoyed watching the process in the last month personally.
I know the turnout is high but am still amazed that a few hundred thousand or so didn't bother voting.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:42 am

So I wonder if there'll be a new referendum in 10-15 years - or if Scottish public opinion will be drifting further away from the thought of independence, just like we've seen in Quebec.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:47 am

More like 20 years I think, independence is less likely the more oil production reduces.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:55 am

SmithersJones wrote:Simply that you seem the most proudly Scottish of our posters, often using the vernacular in your posts, but you're opposed to independence. Isn't that clear from what I wrote?

So, in your narrow way of thinking, you don't think it possible for an individual to be a proud scot and a proud Briton?

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:57 am

Diggers wrote:I know the turnout is high but am still amazed that a few hundred thousand or so didn't bother voting.

Indeed.  Glasgow, who shouted the loudest for independence polled the lowest turn-out.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:01 am

Be_the_ball wrote:Well done Scotland,  the right choice in the end. Definitely think Scotland better off in the Union. Now I wonder just how much this pointless exercise has cost the tax payer?

Agreed. Hopefully, it will lead to a better future for all four countries. Westminster must re-invent itself. It can start by ditching the House of Lords and creating a new more meaningful and democratic second chamber.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:11 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Regardless of what the result of the referendum is, the turn-out is fantastic - all democracies around the world, especially here, should be envious.
Following this is quite compelling - just wish I had some Scotch in the house.

kwini ... I never, ever want to go through anything like that again.  And, yes, it was a fantastic example of democracy at work.  Unfortunately, will be completely lost on the likes of ISIL.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:15 am

gaelgowfer wrote:

It can start by ditching the House of Lords and creating a new more meaningful and democratic second chamber.
Hear hear. What kind of anachronistic thing is that. Not even China or North Korea can boast of such an institution.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:18 am

And, because Scotland did reject independence, seems to me this strengthens the union.

God save The Queen! Very Happy

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:20 am

pedro wrote:
gaelgowfer wrote:

It can start by ditching the House of Lords and creating a new more meaningful and democratic second chamber.
Hear hear. What kind of anachronistic thing is that. Not even China or North Korea can boast of such an institution.

I've no problem with the House of Lords IF the people within it are elected to it and not hereditary peers or maniacs from the clergy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:27 am

I could always understand how a Scot would feel unrepresented in Westminster with the Tories in Govt, and Scotland being more traditionally Lab/SNP but that always struck me as too narrow a platform on which to build a case for independence. So for me Diggers I could never see it being anything but a no.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:31 am

Is there anything more nauseating than Ed Milliband's overuse and context of the word "friends"?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:35 am

super_realist ... this, in particular, pleased me ...

Resounding No in Alex Salmond’s own constituency

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/resounding-no-in-alex-salmond-s-own-constituency-1-3546733

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:43 am

super_realist wrote:
pedro wrote:
gaelgowfer wrote:

I've no problem with the House of Lords IF the people within it are elected to it and not hereditary peers or maniacs from the clergy.

I think we should allow a few of the maniac clergy to remain, if nothing more than for the Xmas parties?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:50 am

gaelgowfer wrote:It can start by ditching the House of Lords and creating a new more meaningful and democratic second chamber.

clap
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:53 am

When I went into the polling station, I asked one of the officers what kind of writing implement was being deployed as, in previous occasions, it had always been a pencil.  She confirmed that pencils were still being used.  Given the gravity of this particular poll I questioned the wisdom of this and asked if I could use a pen.  To say she was 'put out' barely describes the disgusted look on her face. Taking that as a 'No', I slunk off to post my vote ... in pencil. Laugh

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:12 am

gaelgowfer wrote:

So, in your narrow way of thinking, you don't think it possible for an individual to be a proud scot and a proud Briton?

Frak off you bitter old crone. I tried to make a light hearted, even endearing comment that was meant as a compliment, and that's your response?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:37 am

Smithers ... I think you need to re-visit your original comment to see why I responded in the way I did and I quote ...

Even Gael 'doesnae' want independence!

The operative word in this statement is the word "Even" which leaves this sentence open to interpretation.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:38 am

For goodness sake Gael, stop over-reacting.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:52 am

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 1347041234

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:10 pm

gaelgowfer wrote:And, because Scotland did reject independence, seems to me this strengthens the union.

"God save the queen"

Is it possible to squeeze any more outdated institutions in one sentence. Religion and monarchies. The UK really is quite an antiquated place. That said I probably would have voted no too if I was Scottish.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:11 pm

Thanks to McLaren for the link to the Gordon Brown speech - only just been able to watch it. Wonderful stuff and one would like to think it helped to make a difference.
Unlike Cameron's garbage which would probably have moved the needle the independent way.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by skiddy Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:25 pm

why does salmond get all the abuse here? He wanted a devo max option but that snake(Cameron) wanted to keep complete control of scotland by the no side having a landslide victory.

skiddy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:30 pm

Salmond gets abuse for providing no actual facts and providing misleading information.

Not much different from most politicians, but a focal point.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:37 pm

pedro wrote:
gaelgowfer wrote:

Except, despite what you say, it does a reasonable job. Do you want ANOTHER set of elections to elect an upper house? Everyone I speak to hates the idea of even more elections.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:39 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
gaelgowfer wrote:And, because Scotland did reject independence, seems to me this strengthens the union.

"God save the queen"

Is it possible to squeeze any more outdated institutions in one sentence. Religion and monarchies. The UK really is quite an antiquated place. That said I probably would have voted no too if I was Scottish.
Thanks. Stick to Ireland if I were you.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:42 pm

skiddy wrote:why does salmond get all the abuse here? He wanted a devo max option but that snake(Cameron) wanted to keep complete control  of scotland by the no side having a landslide victory.
Because he's a snake oil salesman with an ego and self-interest the size of a large oil slick. I'm sorry, but the whole nonsense over currency was childish in its conception. A good orator he may be, but he got it badly wrong on the realities.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:22 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

"God save the queen"

Thanks. Stick to Ireland if I were you.

Why?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next