The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time To Trott Back?

+5
alfie
kingraf
Liam
GSC
Stella
9 posters

Go down

Time To Trott Back? Empty Time To Trott Back?

Post by Stella Fri 19 Sep 2014, 9:45 am

Jonathan Trott says he would like to come back and play for England. Is there a way back for the former number three in either or both formats, considering his past problems, and age?

Tests

Ballance has come in and looked composed, and most importantly scored runs. With Root and Bell at four and five, the only position available is as an opener. Trott being a three, could possibly give Cook a reliable partner.

A could be.

ODI's

The only way back would be to risk him in the world cup. This of course is in Australia, a place where he left on the last ashes tour. Picking him for this would be a big risk, however a much needed one, given our brittle middle order.

If he doesn't make that squad, then there's no point picking him for next summer, as forward planning for the next world cup should be in place.

Any thoughts?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Time To Trott Back? Empty Re: Time To Trott Back?

Post by GSC Fri 19 Sep 2014, 9:57 am

I don't really see the point. If hes going to play he has to bat 3, and Ballance has shown better form, is younger and you don't have to worry about taking him on tour.

England are better served sticking with their younger players at this stage.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 19 Sep 2014, 10:03 am

GSC wrote:I don't really see the point. If hes going to play he has to bat 3, and Ballance has shown better form, is younger and you don't have to worry about taking him on tour.

England are better served sticking with their younger players at this stage.

Think I agree. Time to move on. I'm no expert on mental health issues, but the risk seems to big for a 34 year old, who whilst is very good, isn't that good to be taking that risk.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri 19 Sep 2014, 3:20 pm

Yup, echo what you two have said. It isn't a risk worth taking. Which is a shame as I really like Trott. Outstanding batsman who unfortunately succumb to a mental illness when he should have been in his peak. No way back now with Root/Ballance in the middle order. Prefer to see other openers given a go who are younger such as Hales etc.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 19 Sep 2014, 3:38 pm

It really depends. Big year next year. World Cup, Ashes, Tour Of South Africa. You know Trott, if well, can perform at those levels. Balance, well he just milked an Indian team from which even Brendon Mccallum scored a triple ton... No clue about his real level (though that's not an indictment on his abilities in and of itself). Which way do England go? I'd pick Ballance, but Trott isn't an unjust selection
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 21 Sep 2014, 6:08 am

If he's playing and making runs I suppose he remains a potential selection like everyone else playing cricket in England ( except He Who Must Not Be Named ). Selection for a home Test would seem less risky than sending him on tour ; so if a couple of injuries occurred at an awkward time next summer , who knows ?
Wouldn't be placing bets on him though : pretty clear they are looking to the future in all formats now ; so at 33 he probably falls a bit outside the preferred age group. Would have been the ideal three (if all well ) for the WC this time round , but that is a risk they just aren't going to take.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by freemo Sun 21 Sep 2014, 11:11 am

Where could you fit Trott into the test side at the moment..? You couldn;t...... and he was always massively under pressure in odi's for s/r, so i can't see him playing international cricket again..

freemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 21 Sep 2014, 12:22 pm

If Trott is truly over his problems he walks straight back into the side. 

Ballance isn't in Trott's league. Any Tom, Dick and Harry can flog around a pathetic indian attack. 

Trott has scored runs everywhere and against everyone.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sun 21 Sep 2014, 4:09 pm

Gerry SA wrote:If Trott is truly over his problems he walks straight back into the side. 

Ballance isn't in Trott's league. Any Tom, Dick and Harry can flog around a pathetic indian attack. 

Trott has scored runs everywhere and against everyone.

Ballance has a lot to prove, but you can't really drop him on the basis of scoring runs against a weak attack.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by freemo Sun 21 Sep 2014, 4:19 pm

he dosen't walk back into the side at all..... Ballance has done what was asked of him, and smashed the indians around.... you can't drop him, and they won't drop him.

freemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 22 Sep 2014, 9:15 am

I don't think Trott fits into the ODI side the way ODIs are going at the moment. He obviously doesn't fit into the T20 side, so that leaves Tests. Ballance has secured n°3 for now, but there is that troublesome second opener spot. Trott had been talked about as an option there in the past, could England look at that? Possibly, for me that's probably the only way Trott has an England future...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon 22 Sep 2014, 10:20 am

After Ballance gets exposed by NZ and AUS fast bowlers next Summer, Trott will be shoehorned back in time for the tours of the UAE and SA...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 25 Sep 2014, 10:27 pm

Trott should be in the ODI side ahead of Bell/Cook. He does what they're meant to do and never do. Slot him in at three and take Cook/Bell out open with Hales/Vince.

Think people forget just how good Trott was at ODI's. As this tweet shows...

"@legsidelizzy: Only ten Doeschate, Amla, Bevan and Dhoni have a higher ODI average than Trott."

I agree the test side has moved on and we've replaced him in that with Ballance. We haven't even got close to replacing him in ODI stuff
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 26 Sep 2014, 11:03 am

Would you take him to the world cup, Olly?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down