The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Original division knockout tourneys

4 posters

Go down

Original division knockout tourneys Empty Original division knockout tourneys

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 24 Sep 2014, 7:31 pm

An old concept but one that usually sparks a bit of debate, we collectively pick 8 boxers from the original 8 weight divisions and then pit them in a fantasy knockout style tournament to see who comes out on top in a head to head.

To make it easy we'll start with the heavyweights but there is one proviso there has to be an extensive amount of footage for us to judge them properly which will effectively rule out anybody before the 1920's.

My picks

1. Ali
2. Louis
3. Holmes
4. Lewis
5. Foreman
6. Marciano
7. Dempsey
8. Tyson

Johnson and Jeffries would have been included but as previously mentioned not enough footage exists.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Original division knockout tourneys Empty Re: Original division knockout tourneys

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 24 Sep 2014, 10:44 pm

So do we all suggest our own eight then, or are you picking, Hammer? Sorry mate, probably just me being dim.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Original division knockout tourneys Empty Re: Original division knockout tourneys

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 24 Sep 2014, 11:21 pm

Anybody interested posts their own eight and I collate the results.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 25 Sep 2014, 11:55 am

Might seem daft, but I'd actually opt to leave Ali out of it. When he's in there's just an air of inevitability that he'll end up coming out on top - perfectly understandable but would make it a bit more interesting to ponder some new match-ups.

I'd go with Louis, Holmes, Foreman, Lewis, Tyson, Frazier, Vitali and Holyfield (Evander replacing Marciano because, just as it seems inevitable that Ali would finish top, I also can't see Marciano finishing anything other than bottom if we're talking just the elite Heavies).
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 25 Sep 2014, 7:40 pm

Would have to lean towards Liston instead of Vitali.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 25 Sep 2014, 8:03 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Might seem daft, but I'd actually opt to leave Ali out of it. When he's in there's just an air of inevitability that he'll end up coming out on top - perfectly understandable but would make it a bit more interesting to ponder some new match-ups.

I'd go with Louis, Holmes, Foreman, Lewis, Tyson, Frazier, Vitali and Holyfield (Evander replacing Marciano because, just as it seems inevitable that Ali would finish top, I also can't see Marciano finishing anything other than bottom if we're talking just the elite Heavies).

For the same reasons as Ali you might opt to leave Louis out. Wink

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 25 Sep 2014, 8:16 pm

Head to head id have to include Sonny, particularly ahead of Vitali and Evander, but I do rate Sonny Charles higher than most. I saw the most delightful picture today where he looks like a glamour model Smile

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 25 Sep 2014, 8:19 pm

pic.twitter.com/gQbbONG3kn

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down