The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tonights Sky Card

+10
Hammersmith harrier
Derbymanc
RanjitPatel
milkyboy
rob-glos
The Beast
TRUSSMAN66
3fingers
hampo17
Strongback
14 posters

Go down

Tonights Sky Card  Empty Tonights Sky Card

Post by Strongback Sat 04 Oct 2014, 7:17 pm

Fairly poor fare but still I'll be watching to see if Ricky Burns is out and out shot.

EECE CARTWRIGHT VS  JAN BALOG
Cartwright wins 40-35
Result

ARFAN IQBAL VS  MARTIN HORAK
Iqbal wins 40-36
Result

DAVID BROPHY VS  VITALIE MIRZA
Brophy wins by 1st round KO (1.33)

STEPHEN SIMMONS VS  COURTNEY RICHARDS
6 x 3 mins Cruiserweight Contest
7:30pm
Simmons wins 59-55

CALLUM JOHNSON VS  JAMIE AMBLER
6 x 3 mins Light Heavyweight Contest
7:55pm

SIMON VALLILY VS  JIRI SVACINA
6 x 3 mins Cruiserweight Contest
8:40pm

BRIAN ROSE VS  IGNASIO FRAGA
8 x 3 mins Light Middleweight Contest
Followed by

TYRONE NURSE VS  DAVE RYAN
12 x 3 mins vacant Commonwealth Light Welterweight title
Followed by

CALLUM SMITH VS  RAFAEL SOSA PINTOS
8 x 3 mins Super Middleweight Contest
Followed by

RICKY BURNS VS  ALEXANDRE LEPELLY
8 x 3 mins Light Welterweight Contest
Followed by

JOSH WARRINGTON VS  DAVIDE DIELI  
12 x 3 mins vacant European Featherweight title

Last edited by Strongback on Sat 04 Oct 2014, 7:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Tonights Sky Card  Empty Re: Tonights Sky Card

Post by hampo17 Sat 04 Oct 2014, 7:19 pm

Don't mind this card at all, it's a decent domestic card. Personally I'm a fan of Warrington, he doesn't have the power but has a fantastic engine.

Good to see Brophy get an early win, but why is Brian Rose fighting an eight rounder?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 04 Oct 2014, 7:39 pm

hampo171 wrote:t why is Brian Rose fighting an eight rounder?

Possibly looking for an easy come back after that absolute shackling he took off Andrade in the summer.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 04 Oct 2014, 7:40 pm

Good card, paticularly the two callums.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 04 Oct 2014, 8:47 pm

Rose with a first round stoppage, that lad really never stood a chance.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 04 Oct 2014, 8:49 pm

5 minutes into the show and the nauseating W***er is at it again...

11-7-3....................and Rose has made a statement !!....

Just what Rose needed that...................If it had gone the distance no doubt 8 rounds would have been just what Rose needed !!

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sat 04 Oct 2014, 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 04 Oct 2014, 9:04 pm

Agreed with the comment on being a decent domestic card including a Euro title fight, I'd have a look but presumably it is ppv.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 04 Oct 2014, 9:05 pm

Nurse dropped twice so far, I was at his fight with Tyler Goodjohn who couldn't put a dent in him but tonight he's been dropped by two jabs.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 04 Oct 2014, 10:21 pm

Card full of mismatches.

Have a feeling Burns fight could be better.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 04 Oct 2014, 10:33 pm

Strongback wrote:Card full of mismatches.

Have a feeling Burns fight could be better.

As you said Rose was coming off a defeat, this guy is a late replacement as well. Certainly can't say the Nurse fight was a mismatch, can easily be considered an upset.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 04 Oct 2014, 10:37 pm

Burns looks fat and slow. This fights nearly as bad as Burns' tattoo's.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Sat 04 Oct 2014, 10:46 pm

Burns looks awful in this.

Clumsy, slow, fat and no sharpness whatsoever.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 04 Oct 2014, 10:54 pm

Just flicked over to this. When did burns move up to cruiserweight?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 04 Oct 2014, 10:56 pm

It's actually a bit sad. Burns should seriously consider calling it a day.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 04 Oct 2014, 11:11 pm

Talking about their nutritionist... Think he's got the same one as me:
'another muffin ricky?'
'Don't mind if I do'

It is a bit sad, when you see proud fighters who just don't have it any more, and it happens so often because they usually need the money.

Ricky was a bit of an overachiever anyway, so he's done more than he probably dared dream of, so there are plenty of sadder stories out there, but still, personally I don't want to see him as a journeyman... and that's what he looks like.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Sat 04 Oct 2014, 11:19 pm

He looked shot and has done for a while. One of the fastest declines that I can remember.
Fat and slow with ambitions to fight for titles again, this won't end well.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Sat 04 Oct 2014, 11:38 pm

Really good performance from Warrington. 

All action, exciting style and that crowd in Leeds... Can't think of many crowds that vocal outside of Hatton at the MEN!!

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 04 Oct 2014, 11:51 pm

... They've all been in the pub since the lunch time kick off at elland road.

Agree Warrington looked very good. Limited opponent but you can't fault how he dealt with him.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 05 Oct 2014, 12:05 am

Warrington is certainly becoming a fan favourite, didn't get a stoppage for 15 fights I believe and he's now had 3 in his last 4 fights.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 05 Oct 2014, 8:11 am

Was a bit of a MEH card in the end,
Nurse vs Ryan was the bout of the night for us and we was all willing Ryan not to get put down in the last round.

Couldn't work out if Callum Smith was really tall, or the geezer he's fighting was a midget

Brian Rose's bout looked like a complete waste of time, and Ricky Burns seemed to struggle to get any rhthym at all (bar the first 10 secs of the last few rounds,) Really think he should call a day as he's doing his career nothing but absolute harm at the minute (IMO)

Thought Warrington looked brilliant and the crowd was mental (needed something to pick em up after Burns.) Had the bar mesmerised with his speed and looks definately like one for the future.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 05 Oct 2014, 10:58 am

Warrington certainly has something but I hope his recent stoppage wins don't start giving a false impression of him as a fighter. When he steps it up he'll be relying on that engine of his which I think is by far and away the best in the division, if he's got a quality chin then he could be a major player in the division, definitely fun to watch.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun 05 Oct 2014, 11:46 am

Callum Smith is absolutely huge for a super mid, Derby. 6'3 and a massive frame. I'm a fan of the guy and think he's a brilliant prospect, can't wait to see him fight someone who comes to win rather than survive. Talk of getting him in with Groves next year seems premature to me and I hope it's bogus hyperbole. Think he'd get taken apart by GG at this stage. No rush to make that fight.

Agree with everyone's assesment of Warrington. From a promotional point of view, he's a dream. Man of the people, massive following and link with LUFC. If Matchroom have any sense they'll have him fighting on Leeds match days again. From a boxing pov, he's certainly exciting. Workrate is brilliant, quick and accurate. Hopefully that compensates for the lack of genuine dig. Fight with Selby in the future could be something!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 05 Oct 2014, 1:46 pm

Cheers for that Dipper, Looks like Callums a big lad then Smile I don't think they'll rush him but will hopefully get to see him with some better fighters now so we can gage his power and skill properly.

Warrington looks spot on and I'd like to see them take him round the UK letting everyone get the chance to see him so we can all get behind him rather than pushing him like mad from Leeds (What a crowd though,) It's not like everyone would get behind Leeds so would like to see himself become the Lad from the UK that follows Leeds rather than 'that Leeds fan'.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 05 Oct 2014, 1:49 pm

Looked a fairly boozed up lairy crowd in Leeds.

Not sure it's for everyone.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 05 Oct 2014, 5:00 pm

Yeh I guess if you were thinking romantic meal for two, glass of wine maybe, catch the fight for a bit of live theatre... You might give it a miss.

On the other hand, if you're a fan of a sport where the objective is to batter the opponent into submission, you might not give too much of a hoot about a few drunken football fans in the crowd getting a bit lairy.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 05 Oct 2014, 5:04 pm

To be fair though boxing crowds need to be calmed down. The amount of people I know who won't be going to the Cleverly v Bellew rematch due to the aggressive and threatening behavior of the Bellew fans the first time around towards anyone cheering on Clev. This is unacceptable

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 05 Oct 2014, 5:35 pm

milkyboy wrote:Yeh I guess if you were thinking romantic meal for two, glass of wine maybe, catch the fight for a bit of live theatre... You might give it a miss.

On the other hand, if you're a fan of a sport where the objective is to batter the opponent into submission, you might not give too much of a hoot about a few drunken football fans in the crowd getting a bit lairy.

Football fans generally lower the tone and that card was is Leeds who's football fans aren't famed for their cordiality. The Liverpool cards look to have the roughest crowds from what I have seen.  

Traditionally boxing doesn't usually have a hooligan element and crowd trouble until the football crowd get involved. This normally happens when a fighter attached to a club becomes a bigger star.

Some of the things that went on in Liverpool when Price knocked out Audley were a disgrace. Soon boxing will become like darts where 20 stone roidded up bouncers are a main stay of every event.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 05 Oct 2014, 6:19 pm

It was a flippant post strongy.

Actually, Leeds haven't had much of a hooligan element since the 80's. But the press like to bring up every incident whilst often overlooking them from clubs without a reputation.

Henry Wharton was probably the last fighter of note to have been associated with leeds. I've no doubt a few service crew tagged along for some extras but don't recall hearing that his fights were free for alls. One of the guys on here went to a few Wharton fights so he might know better.

Certainly, if you think back to minter hagler and Kaylor Christie, there was certainly an unpleasant side to football fans getting involved in boxing.

With city fans and hatton, it was mainly how annoyingly ignorant they were about boxing that was the problem, not the unruliness!

It's another ethical dilemma for Eddie isn't it.  Tie your cards in with hometown boys on a day the football team are at home and you are inviting a 'boys session' day. Good for business in the short term, but longer term might be asking for trouble.... They're sober for the footy and ratted by the time the boxing starts.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 05 Oct 2014, 6:31 pm

milkyboy wrote:It was a flippant post strongy.

Actually, Leeds haven't had much of a hooligan element since the 80's. But the press like to bring up every incident whilst often overlooking them from clubs without a reputation.

Henry Wharton was probably the last fighter of note to have been associated with leeds. I've no doubt a few service crew tagged along for some extras but don't recall hearing that his fights were free for alls. One of the guys on here went to a few Wharton fights so he might know better.

Certainly, if you think back to minter hagler and Kaylor Christie, there was certainly an unpleasant side to football fans getting involved in boxing.

With city fans and hatton, it was mainly how annoyingly ignorant they were about boxing that was the problem, not the unruliness!

It's another ethical dilemma for Eddie isn't it.  Tie your cards in with hometown boys on a day the football team are at home and you are inviting a 'boys session' day. Good for business in the short term, but longer term might be asking for trouble.... They're sober for the footy and ratted by the time the boxing starts.

Judging by the rowdy boozed up behaviour Hearn encouraged at the darts when he took over I can see where boxing under Matchroom is going. Remember when there was silence in darts when a player was throwing.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 05 Oct 2014, 8:06 pm

... To be fair, that was largely because in the old days, the old man watching it, and his dog, were both asleep

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 05 Oct 2014, 11:26 pm

Fun card, Dave Ryan and Tyrone Nurse put on a really good battle, us Leeds lot generally know how to make some noise, I went to the weigh in on Friday when it was at The Light in Leeds city centre, was really noisy, was a great atmosphere. Couldn't make the actual fight itself but will be hoping to go to the next one as it seemed immense in there. I got a picture with Eddie Hearn, would you like it framed and sent in the post to you at all Strongy?

Have to say Warrington looks terrific, does anyone reckon he could have the beating of Selby now, already? He beat Sammir Mamoon (Sp) who gave Selby his only loss, appreciate that Selby is a little further on in his career right now coming close to a world title fight, but he hasn't exactly sparkled in his last few fights, and Warrington would be gunning in very hard.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 05 Oct 2014, 11:42 pm

milkyboy wrote:... To be fair, that was largely because in the old days, the old man watching it, and his dog, were both asleep

We were all watching when Jockey stepped up to the ockey..........what an athlete.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 06 Oct 2014, 11:14 am

Perfectly decent domestic card (not on PPV) and produced some good scraps in the end.

Think Burns should just retire now, really like the bloke but he's a busted flush now.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 06 Oct 2014, 11:15 am

Strongback wrote:Card full of mismatches.

Of course it is Rolling Eyes

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 06 Oct 2014, 11:17 am

milkyboy wrote:Yeh I guess if you were thinking romantic meal for two, glass of wine maybe, catch the fight for a bit of live theatre... You might give it a miss.

Laugh Laugh Laugh clap

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down