The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ufc

+4
Steffan
Hammersmith harrier
TRUSSMAN66
AdamT
8 posters

Go down

Ufc Empty Ufc

Post by AdamT Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:59 pm

Does anybody enjoy Ufc? Give reasons why you do or don't.

I'm a boxing man always will be but I find myself drawing to Ufc because their is less ducking and dodging and the fights are more evenly matched and better value for money. Too many boxing promotions involving one sided fights for upcoming stars.

Boxing is more exciting and is the sweet science but it can learn from the Ufc promotion in some ways

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Ufc Empty Re: Ufc

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:15 pm

I enjoy any physical combat......Apart from when my Wife assaults me between the sheets....She can be very rough and absent minded.. especially when it comes around to taking the handcuffs off.. Ufc 3559488474

Seriously... sure I'll watch it..............Just don't like all this writhing about on the floor........

Never replace the sport we all know and love even If organisations and Promoters are intent on killing it !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:20 pm

Truss you have said exactly what I mean. To hell with wrestling, I enjoy striking, was a kick boxer myself. Boxing and weight training are my passions like yours. My only problem is I think you don't like Man U too much, am I right?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:24 pm

I enjoyed the original UFC with Gracie, Shamrock and Severn when it did pit different styles against one another but nowadays there's too much of an emphasise on the punching side of things. It was a thing of wonder seeing Gracie take down far bigger opponents and making them tap out with a rear choke.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:30 pm

Good reply hammer, I'm a boxing man first but loved the idea of style vs style when it all began. Now all fighters are well rounded and are probably better fighters but I think maybe a bit less exciting.

I used to get involved in the whole ufc vs boxing but I think enjoy them both. I love football but like rugby too. To be honest I enjoy most sport.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:36 pm

I don’t think there is much boxing can learn from UFC. A boxing audience and a UFC audience are totally different. Boxing has fans from all different walks of life. UFC is for white skinheads who like watching two guys in a cage roll around in the floor.

That’s fine each to their own but under no circumstance are these people ever going to be interested in watching boxing. Dana does a good job running the UFC but when you basically have one company running a sport that only appeals to the minority it is much to control who fights who and where it is etc.

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:38 pm

Ignoring the homoerotic undertones in the last posts... Sure I watch MMA. I was actually at a local card on Thursday. Some Mozambican girl I know (who isn't my girlfriend) had some tickets and we went together. I quite enjoyed it, but the box n dine I went to on Monday was way more fun.

Now to speak about the actuarial promoting of the sport. It's worth remembering that UFC isn't MMA, it's a promotional company. And while they do generally put on the most competitive cards possible, it's worth remembering that most boxing promotional companies generally put on the best in house fights possible. The only differences is that
1 - There is no monopoly in boxing.
2 - Top level boxers aren't going to take six figure pay days, which makes it difficult to stack cards.

Worth remembering also that despite Anderson Silva and GSP at one point being only one weight division apart, Dana White absolutely refused to have them fight each other. All promoters do what's best financially, no difference in MMA.

Also, boxing still made WAY more than MMA this year, like every year which is how it will stay.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:48 pm

Boxing is bigger and imo the better sport. Though ufc (I know mma is the sport but ufc is the only promotion I will watch) is definitely enjoyable sometimes. I love boxing but mma can be fun, though am not a major fan of grappling. Its very skilled but not too exciting. Each to their own, though I prefer striking arts.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:05 pm

I think when MMA first came about it was a bit of a freak show, Sumo wrestler vs. Karate Kid and such. Nowadays it's become a bit more homogeneous in terms of fighting style and everyone has a basic level of ju jitsu for example. I think that's weeded out the casual fan who wanted to see bloodbaths and mismatches.

It does have a huge and knowledgable fan base however (particularly amongst the younger generation). I enjoy it but I've never done it and don't know a great deal. Conventional wisdom says, the more you know, the more you'll enjoy. So I think if I knew what was going on with the grappling side, I'd get quite into it. However, like most other boxing fans, I prefer the stand up stuff.

There's definitely a place for it! UFC have a total monopoly on the sport which means the big fights tend to happen, whether this is good for the fighters is up for debate but its good for the fans and avoids the alphabet situation we have in boxing.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:14 pm

That monopoly doesn't exist Dipper, Fedor Emelianenko was the best MMA heavyweight on the planet and was seen as nigh on unbeatable for years but he didn't fight under the UFC banner.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:18 pm

I have trained in Mma. Difficult sport to learn. I'm a pretty strong guy but appreciate that skill is important in grappling. In saying that I noticed that I was good at slamming bjj guys sparring. If it was on concrete they would be getting no locks on me. Granted it was decent amateurs not pros.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:35 pm

Maybe 'monopoly' isn't the right word. I haven't been following for a while but I remember hearing that UFC taking over Strikeforce being seen as UFC establishing dominance. You probably know more than me though, to be honest.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:41 pm

Fedor is the only one I know anything about and that was mainly because he wasn't in UFC and there was a lot of talk about him fighting Lesnar a few years back which would have been over in a matter of seconds.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:01 pm

Too right, Lesnar would have hit him with a steel chair and got the 1-2-3! WHATTAMANOUVER!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:11 pm

CTNUADSVEA

I prefer K-1 tbh then UFC.

How K-1 has not taken off big time is beyond me much more exciting then UFC. The fact that it is dominated by the Dutch, French, Russians etc might go along way to explain why.

Still my heart belongs to boxing.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:13 pm

I don't like UFC its far too brutal for me, also the clinching on the ground for half a round bores me to tears.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:18 pm

kingraf wrote:Ignoring the homoerotic undertones in the last posts... Sure I watch MMA. I was actually at a local card on Thursday. Some Mozambican girl I know (who isn't my girlfriend) had some tickets and we went together. I quite enjoyed it, but the box n dine I went to on Monday was way more fun.

Now to speak about the actuarial promoting of the sport. It's worth remembering that UFC isn't MMA, it's a promotional company. And while they do generally put on the most competitive cards possible, it's worth remembering that most boxing promotional companies generally put on the best in house fights possible. The only differences is that
1 - There is no monopoly in boxing.
2 -  Top level boxers aren't going to take six figure pay days, which makes it difficult to stack cards.

Worth remembering also that despite Anderson Silva and GSP at one point being only one weight division apart, Dana White absolutely refused to have them fight each other. All promoters do what's best financially, no difference in MMA.

Also, boxing still made WAY more than MMA this year, like every year which is how it will stay.

As far as I remember neither fighter was really that bothered about fighting each other, had they been Dana would've have made it. At the time this was potentially the biggest fight in the UFC, both fighters were dominating there weight divisions and many fans thought this to be the only test for either fighter. The problem was the weight or rather what weight would they fight at, would GSP go up to MW or would it be fought at a catchweight? Remember there was a 15lb difference. GSP said he would be prepared to put on weight over the space of a year with a fight in between at a weight in between to test the water. Had he moved up to MW then I thought as many fans did & quite possibly GSP himself, he'd be at a big disadvantage, and if Silva beat GSP he'd only beaten a smaller guy & if he lost then he'd lost to a smaller man, a no win situation for Silva.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum