The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Premiership clubs chasing Armitage

+26
king_carlos
HammerofThunor
Rugby Fan
Margin_Walker
seanmichaels
LondonTiger
No 7&1/2
HongKongCherry
Sgt_Pooly
yappysnap
bathmad
Bathman_in_London
Bathite
George Carlin
doctor_grey
Ozzy3213
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Tiger/Chief
formerly known as Sam
Geordie
BigTrevsbigmac
SecretFly
SirBurger
beshocked
whocares
TightHEAD
30 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Premiership clubs chasing Armitage - Page 3 Empty Premiership clubs chasing Armitage

Post by TightHEAD Mon 13 Oct 2014, 3:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

Being reported on Planet rugby.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9515605,00.html

Sarries, Coventry, Quins and Bath are in the running to sign him.

So it looks like he doesn't want to play for France after all.

TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Premiership clubs chasing Armitage - Page 3 Empty Re: Premiership clubs chasing Armitage

Post by lostinwales Wed 15 Oct 2014, 1:11 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
I'm not a fan of only picking players based in England, I feel it handicaps English team for little gain

I can go along with this. Its good for players to experience different cultures...and indeed id like more English players to go and experience S15 rugby in OZ, SA, Nz. I think this can only enhance them as players.

In principle I think its an excellent idea.

The interesting thing thoughis to consider what happens to players who do go abroad for stretches when they come back. I'd say that players who go over very young for a taste of a different culture (like Wood or MJ) do well.

We can discount players (like Sackey) who go at the end of their careers.

The ones who go mid career I'd argue don't do well at all. Haskell is possibly an exception but you could also argue that it has taken him a year to get back to his best form. My problem is that I cant think of too many examples, but off the top of my head you could list Michalak, who seems to have done little (considering his talent) since his time in SA. Or Kevin Yates who seemed to disappear more or less after coming back from NZ.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Premiership clubs chasing Armitage - Page 3 Empty Re: Premiership clubs chasing Armitage

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 15 Oct 2014, 1:52 pm

I'm pretty sure Yates ended up playing more for Sarries post NZ than he ever did for Bath/Sale before he went. He got a few more caps too but I guess you're right in that it didn't noticeably improve his game (from memory).

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 16 Oct 2014, 11:13 am

shocked Craig thought the RFU would help them fund the deal.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 16 Oct 2014, 11:28 am

lostinwales wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:
I'm not a fan of only picking players based in England, I feel it handicaps English team for little gain

I can go along with this. Its good for players to experience different cultures...and indeed id like more English players to go and experience S15 rugby in OZ, SA, Nz. I think this can only enhance them as players.

The interesting thing thoughis to consider what happens to players who do go abroad for stretches when they come back. I'd say that players who go over very young for a taste of a different culture (like Wood or MJ) do well.

The ones who go mid career I'd argue don't do well at all. Haskell is possibly an exception but you could also argue that it has taken him a year to get back to his best form. My problem is that I cant think of too many examples, but off the top of my head you could list Michalak, who seems to have done little (considering his talent) since his time in SA. Or Kevin Yates who seemed to disappear more or less after coming back from NZ.

It's difficult with Haskell because didn't he have the World Cup, then Japan, then NZ, then Wasps and basically played none stop for about 18 months, then he had a slow year at Wasps before hitting back refreshed (and in excellent form).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 16 Oct 2014, 11:45 am

HammerofThunor wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:

It's difficult with Haskell because didn't he have the World Cup, then Japan, then NZ, then Wasps and basically played none stop for about 18 months, then he had a slow year at Wasps before hitting back refreshed (and in excellent form).

Yes, he played a lot of rugby. The question is - is he a better player for his travels?

I'd love to be able to say yes, but I don't think we can answer that with any accuracy as we don't know where he would have been had he stayed.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 16 Oct 2014, 2:40 pm

lostinwales wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:

Yes, he played a lot of rugby. The question is - is he a better player for his travels?

I'd love to be able to say yes, but I don't think we can answer that with any accuracy as we don't know where he would have been had he stayed.

His bank balance looks better for it. That I'm certain. 

I'm glad he decided to come back to the Premiership though. Certainly I think seeing the way French and New Zealand clubs train and play will have improved his experience and knowledge. Playing in Japan would have given him a chance to hone some basic skills too. Not as demanding in terms of skill level, pace, or physicality, but good basic rugby.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3