The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magners league final

+9
Mickado
Adam D
Thomond
paddy
Schrodinger's Cat
red_stag
Glas a du
Cari
poissonrouge
13 posters

Go down

Who is going to win?

Magners league final Vote_lcap27%Magners league final Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 4 ]
Magners league final Vote_lcap20%Magners league final Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 3 ]
Magners league final Vote_lcap0%Magners league final Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Magners league final Vote_lcap20%Magners league final Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 3 ]
Magners league final Vote_lcap33%Magners league final Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 15

Magners league final Empty Magners league final

Post by poissonrouge Wed May 25, 2011 7:41 pm

Well - who will win it - will it be Leinster to do the double or will the men in red spoil the party.
For Leinster - They are playing well, they have stated they are up for the two wins and they are going to be on a high confidence wise after their fight back last week king
For Munster they beat the blues last time out, they haven't any other silver and they are have the dog spirit furious
Well what does the panel think
poissonrouge
poissonrouge

Back to top Go down

Magners league final Empty Re: Magners league final

Post by Cari Wed May 25, 2011 7:49 pm

It's a tough call isn't it? I'm umming and aaahing about who'll win. Both teams will want to win this badly as they have a point to prove....hmmmm....oooh dunno....eeeehhhh....Leinster. But not by a big margin. Rolling Eyes

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed May 25, 2011 7:51 pm

Our Nigel is the ref. In Thomond. Munster to edge it.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by poissonrouge Wed May 25, 2011 7:52 pm

Yea glas - I reckon Munster want it more, and I suspect that will count a lot
poissonrouge
poissonrouge

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed May 25, 2011 7:53 pm

I'm gonna back my Munster men.

1 - Munster are fresh. Leinster played a very tough HEC Final with only 6 days to celebrate and recover

2 - Home advantage. Leinster Rugby Website cites 6,500 Leinster fans travelling. The game is sold out and the stadium holds 26,000. For every Leinster fan in the stadium there will be 3-4 Munster men

3 - After defeat after defeat after defeat Munster will have finally gotten over their psychological barrier by beating Leinster last month.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed May 25, 2011 7:54 pm

Staggy - is Wally there to increase the totty count? Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed May 25, 2011 8:16 pm

Cari - he is. Only Tony Buckley is injured for us.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Wed May 25, 2011 8:25 pm

I think Munster will win, but it will be close. It's hard to see how Leinster can bring the same intensity, especially after a roller-coaster of a final last weekend.

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed May 25, 2011 8:26 pm

ooh full house eh? Should be a superb match. Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed May 25, 2011 9:06 pm

A lot will depend on Nigel. He has given up reffing the breakdown recently. Whether he didn't want to rock boats or not I don't know. But, if the old Nigel turns up it could be a cracker.

Last edited by Glas a du on Wed May 25, 2011 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Didgy typong.)
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu May 26, 2011 7:58 am

Glas I predict trench warfare irrespective of Nigel Owens performance.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by paddy Fri May 27, 2011 1:44 am

It depends on how much last weekend's game took out of Leinster. it was a seriously combative game. Stag what's happened to Munster's three man tackle, you know when one holds the player round the neck, one holds his middle and another rips the ball away - very effective but I haven't seen it in the last couple of games they've played. I think a lot will depend on how sharp eyed Owens is to be honest as Munster have some very cute moves........

paddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri May 27, 2011 7:44 am

red_stag wrote:Glas I predict trench warfare irrespective of Nigel Owens performance.

He will stop it erupting into violence. If Nigel refs where there is any possibility of a claim of bias, he over compensates. There is no risk here and he will want to put it a top performance before the WC. He is the best man to take this one on, bit I agree with you, it will be ball abuse.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri May 27, 2011 8:05 am

We're not the only team who play to the "limits of the law" Leinster seem to think that the offside line doesn't exist at times.......

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri May 27, 2011 8:44 am

I can't wait for this. It should be a cracking final, and it's on BBC 2 (not hidden away on S4C) Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri May 27, 2011 8:48 am

By the way - I added a poll to the opening post to allow you to predict the result.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri May 27, 2011 8:58 am

I never bother with predictions because I fear retribution if things go pear shaped. But the noises I’m hearing from the Leinster camp is that the conversation about this game started on the coach journey to Cardiff Airport. Looks like Darcy will miss this one with an ankle injury which leaves us with the very exciting prospect of a McFadden / O’Driscoll midfield and O’Driscoll is now back to top fitness. Schmidt has also pretty much admitted that Jennings will start at 7, which is more good news.

For some reason I can’t see us dominating the scrum, given what Ross and Healy have just played against and bettered (in the second half anyway) I suppose this is counter intuitive but we rarely lord it over any team in the scrum when it comes to a league match.

Confident we can win if we can get ourselves UP for the game, confident we can do that.

Munster by 40+ Wink

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri May 27, 2011 9:00 am

paddy wrote:Stag what's happened to Munster's three man tackle, you know when one holds the player round the neck, one holds his middle and another rips the ball away

I think that that it was never really a Munster move rather one used by Irish national team. Munster seem to focus on bringing the man to ground and keeping the ball in the ruck as long as possible sucking in the opposition to reduce the amount of attacking options. I agree with Thomond that Leinster are forever offside. Its just how they do it where as not rolling away and sealing off are Munster tricks.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by paddy Fri May 27, 2011 2:38 pm

In a way I think they cancel each other out and this match is much too close to predict. I would just like to congratulate both teams for getting to the final - may the best team win! Anyone going to watch the Leicester/Sarries match, don't know if this will be on earlier in the day. Hope Sarrie win.

paddy

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Fri May 27, 2011 3:35 pm

I foretold a Munster win weeks ago, one or two disagreed. But I still stand by my forecast.................Munster will win.................but this will also be the last big silverware for them for a year or two.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Fri May 27, 2011 4:04 pm

i think that we had the beating of munster in thomand last time out and we took the foot of the gas, munster played very well that day to come back, but failed to score a try again.

I think if we don't take the foot off the gas and play for 80mins(easier said then done) we should win, but al gore and john kerry should have been presidents, so nothing is certain

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Sat May 28, 2011 2:21 pm

Aye and the big DUBYA should never have won.................
For me it still remains for Munster to lose, but this will be the last big trophy for some time.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Sat May 28, 2011 7:21 pm

Glad to say that I was right that Munster would win. I'm slightly surprised by the score. It is rather ironic that when people were going on about Munster not scoring tries against Leinster all their points came that way.

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. scotland27 Sat May 28, 2011 7:54 pm

I was right to cat, is it fair to vote when you know the result ? Smile
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat May 28, 2011 8:20 pm

Omg what a game to choose from... a sulking BOD or a sulking O'Gara
Dammed if you do, and dammed if you dont...

I got my prediction right, but only after checking on the BBC website for the score angel
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by poissonrouge Sat May 28, 2011 8:23 pm

Crikey - you're a bitter bloke Mr Davies furious
poissonrouge
poissonrouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat May 28, 2011 9:07 pm

poissonrouge wrote:Crikey - you're a bitter bloke Mr Davies furious

I'm not bitter I'm an Osprey Whistle

Na seriously... it was a tounge in cheek joke.
Leinster and Munster have been magnificent this year. Well done to both of them, though I think Munster deserved the Magners based on how many points they won the actual league by. I'm glad Leinster won Europe too, because it shows the English that our Magners league is the strongest northern hemisphere competition (thanks to the Irish).
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Sun May 29, 2011 9:38 am

MR. scotland27 wrote:I was right to cat, is it fair to vote when you know the result ? Smile

I refer you to my post earlier in the thread, which was before the match started.

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Sun May 29, 2011 10:06 am

Magnificent game by both teams, pity nigel had one of his less memorable ones.

Munster just had to win this, and they did by the best way possible...........try's.

Just because three Irish teams ended in the top four this season doesn't mean that Irish domination is complete or permanent, all it means is that right now the ?irish are a little ahead of the rest of us.
But then they did start a little before the rest.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. scotland27 Sun May 29, 2011 10:11 am

ospreylian wrote:Magnificent game by both teams, pity nigel had one of his less memorable ones.

Penalty try to Munster scrummage after only two scrums

🤦
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun May 29, 2011 10:50 am

MR. scotland27 wrote:
ospreylian wrote:Magnificent game by both teams, pity nigel had one of his less memorable ones.

🤦

You do realise you can give a penalty try after 1 scrum. Or that you can go 10 scrums without a penalty try.

This 3 scrum business is a commentator myth and referees do not use this approach.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun May 29, 2011 11:21 am

Congratulations to both teams, I thought it was a cracking game to watch. More turnovers than burgers at McDonalds. Munster deserved the win to be fair, they've been at the top of the table since September and it would've been a blow had they fallen at the last hurdle.

Congrats to Wally as well - he made Munster look sexy for the 200th time Wink

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. scotland27 Sun May 29, 2011 12:19 pm

red_stag wrote:
MR. scotland27 wrote:

🤦

You do realise you can give a penalty try after 1 scrum. Or that you can go 10 scrums without a penalty try.

This 3 scrum business is a commentator myth and referees do not use this approach.

They were on top but I still think that 1 scrum and then the try is a bit premature, having said that when Quins played Leicester at the stoop Wayne Barnes had 5 scrums and two yellow cards before the penalty try was given.
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Sun May 29, 2011 1:49 pm

MR. scotland27 wrote:
red_stag wrote:
MR. scotland27 wrote:

🤦

They were on top but I still think that 1 scrum and then the try is a bit premature, having said that when Quins played Leicester at the stoop Wayne Barnes had 5 scrums and two yellow cards before the penalty try was given.

Nige missed a blatant shoulder on BOD and later a high tackle on a Munster player, but like too many refs he totally ducked out of the scrum, penalty one way then the other, when it was just one player all the time. Also he failed to ref the breakdown fairly, Leinster were laying all over the place (tiredness?) but he failed to see it.

Makes me wonder if there should be a rule change for scrums (yet again) but this time remove the rules except for one, taking down. Let all else go on make it a fair fight.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun May 29, 2011 5:21 pm

ospreylian wrote:
MR. scotland27 wrote:
red_stag wrote:
MR. scotland27 wrote:

🤦

Nige missed a blatant shoulder on BOD and later a high tackle on a Munster player, but like too many refs he totally ducked out of the scrum, penalty one way then the other, when it was just one player all the time. Also he failed to ref the breakdown fairly, Leinster were laying all over the place (tiredness?) but he failed to see it.

Makes me wonder if there should be a rule change for scrums (yet again) but this time remove the rules except for one, taking down. Let all else go on make it a fair fight.

Nige was poor. He shirked the scrums and breakdown. Disappointing.

The game as a whole needs an overhaul of the rules. They need to be designed to be simple and refereeable by someone who is not superhuman without the aid of 'interpretation'.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun May 29, 2011 6:24 pm

Scotland your still thinking in numbers. Penalty tries are never ever decided on how frequent the offense occurs or whether it was a once off.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Mon May 30, 2011 9:52 am

I think the idea about needing three scrums comes from the reluctance of referees sometimes to give penalty tries. Given how difficult they find it to successfully referee the scrum, you can see why. On the other hand, it can be a bit unfair that after three or four penalties for the attacking team if the referee decides to give a penalty to the defending side they can just clear their lines, so I think penalty tries should happen sooner if one team is clearly on top.

On another thought, I never understand why after the fourth or fifth scrum the defending side would infringe. A penalty try is a (almost) certain seven points, but a try where the scrum took place allows for the possibility of the place-kicker missing, or even the number 8 fumbling and knocking on!

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down