The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Who'll be Leaving Las Vegas with a Win?: Notes from the Ballwasher

+14
ralphjohn69
Sand
Shotrock
robopz
raycastleunited
incontinentia
McLaren
navyblueshorts
super_realist
Roller_Coaster
pedro
GPB
1GrumpyGolfer
kwinigolfer
18 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Who'll be Leaving Las Vegas with a Win?: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty PGA Tour: Who'll be Leaving Las Vegas with a Win?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:52 am

First topic message reminder :

1).Sang Moon Bae left Silverado with the win, heading what was an international leaderboard . . . . after Americans winning the first dozen or so tournaments last season.
Bae enjoyed his first Top Ten finish since his Byron Nelson win in 2013.
And he wasn't the only one with a bolt from the blue:

2).Bowditch was runner up, his first Top Ten since his April win in Texas.
And, apart from Mahan and Matsuyama, the entire Top Ten and ties earned their best finish of 2014.

3).That includes Martin Laird who tied for 3rd after leading after 36 holes. That's his best since Texas in 2013 and he'll go to Las Vegas in decent form and looking forward to an event he has won once, and lost to Byrd's hole-in-one play-off win four years ago.
The first half of Laird's year was all about his new son and he missed out on FedEx's Play-Offs. But he's on his way this season and Las Vegas's TPC Summerlin obviously suits him.

4).Westwood finished 12th and then announced his caddie had spotted an alignment problem after a disappointing Round 1. Now he's straightened out he can go to Malaysia and Shanghai in good nick with high hopes of kicking 2015 off with a bag-full of money and FedEx points already in his grasp.

5).This is the final week to qualify for China's WGC HSBC Champions event via the owgr Top 50 . . . . and the R2D Top 15.
The next Major milestone will be Dec 31st when the owgr Top 50 will qualify to join Sang Moon at The Masters. So, lots to play for as the European Tour reaches its season's climax and there are still half a dozen events on the PGA Tour, not to mention rewarding tournaments elsewhere. The PGA Tour player who opts to take a breather during this time could well find himself slipping behind, both in rankings and FedEx points.

6).Billy Horschel is back in action this week, technically defending his FedEx title, and is joined by defending Las Vegas champ, and habitual texter, Webb Simpson. Jimmy Walker's playing too, but not sure why. He played last weekend as if he was suffering a Gleneagles hangover.

7).Jarrod Lyle is in the Las Vegas field after completing a wonderful week at the Frys. Not just Monday qualifying, not just winning $33K, but he now has just $250K to earn from 19 tournaments to fulfil the requirements of his Medical Extension. Hopefully he'll win plenty more than that, and the big prize is finishing the season in the Top 125. His schedule takes a detour after this week as he's off back to Australia for a few tournaments and medical check ups, after which one assumes with fingers crossed that we'll see him next in Hawaii.

8).There are the usual European suspects playing this week, including Laird, Harrington and Gonzo. And Russell Knox who showed plenty of rust at Silverado but has played well in his Las Vegas past; in the top ten after 54 holes last year before fading.
Local lads with good records here and well worth looking out for include Ryan Moore and Charlie Hoffman, while I'd be happy to see Nick Watney resume his good form of late summer.

9).Not so many Tour trips to the desert this year, just Las Vegas, the Humana (the old Bob Hope) in the California desert, and Phoenix. No Tucson event and Humana is not renewing its contract.
But Silverado looked a great addition to the Tour, thought the course looked a really interesting challenge with a fun ending - Par-5 16th, shortish Par-4 17th and another Par-5 to close.

10).Can't finish without a Ryder Cup funny.
There was a great picture of a Newcastle fan's banner at Swansea a week or so ago lamenting their recent record under Pardew.
To paraphrase their W's, D's and mostly L's:
L L W L L L W L L L  . . . . . is not a town in Wales!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Who'll be Leaving Las Vegas with a Win?: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Who'll be Leaving Las Vegas with a Win?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:40 am

robo,
Often the strength in depth of the Americans is a factor, but there have been many times when the so-called weaker members of the Europeans have made the difference, none more so than in 1995 when wins for James, Clark, Gilford, Walton were crucial. Then Price beating Mickelson in 2002 and McGinley's half w/Furyk were very very big.

Kind of unusual in many ways that the 2014 edition ran pretty much to form.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Who'll be Leaving Las Vegas with a Win?: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Who'll be Leaving Las Vegas with a Win?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:11 am

Scoring is heating up as the temps are warming.
Could easily be that Harrington's -3 is the cut-line.

Nothing better than -9 so far, so plenty of opportunity for the afternooners to move well into double figures under par.

NB for anyone who hasn't heard much about Tony Finau - he's supposed to be a phenom, so worth checking him out. Good finish last week and T2 so far today.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:02 am

Another cut made by Padraig, finally starting to play weekends more regularly! Now time to kick on and start producing better results!

Stenson has been seriously impressive in the matchplay!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:02 am

Glover's putting is a nightmare....

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:15 am

sirb,
We watched Glover 5-putt from inside 10 feet last year. Absolutely horrific!

Harrington really needs to grind his rounds out, make the most of every opportunity he gets. One of these days he'll break through again, but he's looked to give up on some rounds these past few years - can't do that any more.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:18 am

kwinigolfer wrote:sirb,
We watched Glover 5-putt from inside 10 feet last year. Absolutely horrific!

Harrington really needs to grind his rounds out, make the most of every opportunity he gets. One of these days he'll break through again, but he's looked to give up on some rounds these past few years - can't do that any more.

Oh do you think he has given up on past rounds, it is something I wouldn't associate with him......

As for Glover it seems to be a terminal problem, shame cause he actually hits the ball quite decently.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:19 am

GPB wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
GPB wrote:...How many times have we heard the cliche that 36 hole matches have a better chance at identifying the better player.  

IMO, the more points at stake, the chances are greater that the better team wins....
Is that all we're after? The "better team" (on paper presumably) winning? I'm not interested in that. That's a bit like saying to someone "OK. Best of three then". "Ah! You won! OK, best of 5?" Etc etc. A significant part of what makes sport compelling is that it often doesn't work they way we'd imagine on paper and it'd be a lot duller if that wasn't the case.

Yes, I am interested in the best team winning, whatever team that is.

Again, what makes the 4+4+4+4+12 format so special?  Because Europe is winning?

Change is not necessarily bad.  The Ryder Cup format changed over its first 50 years to make it more competitive.  So why did it stop changing?  Because Europe got more competitive and stopped whining about it.
You're right - change isn't necessarily bad but because Europe is winning?? No. It's great that it's (or it was!) competitive and the current format may be a part of that although I suspect not. S_R was right about the numbers and the singles at the end being rendered essentially irrelevant though - that would be a step in the wrong direction IMO.
The current format seems pretty good and well balanced to me, regardless of who's winning the event come the end.

Shotrock wrote:The Ryder Cup IS an exhibition event ... The charity? Mostly the European Tour.
I suppose that point had to come up...especially as the U.S. is getting roundly caned these days. A little churlish maybe?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:24 am

An 8 from Cink! Yikes

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:39 am

Nice to see Knox & Laird getting plenty of air-time . . . . . . Hope they make the most of it, but so far, so good.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:01 am

robopz wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:Thanks incontinentia, surprised how under the radar the matchplay seems to be. It used to be one of the highlights of the autumn for me, maybe because it was on BBC and Wentworth was a great setting.

Feels like they have devalued the tournament in recent years by messing with the scheduling and taking it to unknown markets. No prestige playing in Bulgaria with a couple of goats watching you.

I missed it on tv last night (busy watching the new dumbed down Apprentice) - what did the course look like and were there decent crowds?
For ever action there's an equal and opposite reaction...  

I'd agree this event is under the radar, and have to admit if I weren't such a match play fan, I doubt I'd be watching.  I'd agree this seemed a lot more fun at Wentworth, especially when they were drawing better fields.  I don't know why they left Wentworth (maybe somebody here can give us the 411 on that), but I thought Finca Cortisan was still a decent substitute... and I thought they were really onto something expanding the field to 24, but now they've gone down to 16.  

And with the advent of the new Race to Dubai 4 finale events (or whatever they're called)... the Euro Tour has probably effectively driven a stake through the heart of this one.   This year the 6th criteria was the top-3 available from the OWGR (as of the end of the OPEN)... but if I have it right, they had to go all the way down to 21, 31 & 32 to get those players.  

I can understand a lot of the American's not wanting to play... but ranked players who COULD have participated like Rory, Rose & Sergio skipping this is a problem.  But who can blame them really.  After a tough schedule from the Open through the RC... I can understand them taking some time off before gearing back up for the R2D finish...  

And then there's the issue of Taxation...  and sadly, IMO moving it back to England hurts more than it helps.  The onerous UK "athletes tax" on endorsement income doesn't affect the UK based guys, but it sure does affect those living outside the UK...  I KNOW there are players who avoid playing in the UK any more than they feel thy have to for just that reason... including some of the big name Euro stars (Sergio has talked about it directly and Rory has "alluded" to it in comments as well).   And even take a guy like Spieth who might be a draw to American TV viewers and might want to go over to play... He's reportedly in the $8-10 mil endorsement range now.. so with the UK tax situation.. he in effect has to write a tax check for $50-60k when he shows up... and while on THIS side of the pond, that's deductible as an expense, its not a tax credit, so net/net it costs him about $30-40K for the privilege of showing up... and thats before expenses, or the taxation on any earnings he might have.   For a guy like Rory... triple or quadruple that.

Now don't get the feeling I'm crying for some poor rich athletes... I'm NOT.  But that doesn't change the reality that when given the choice of playing some place where they can keep more of their money vs a place where they have to PAY just to participate... what are they gonna choose?  

The punitive tax regime has harmed many sports events in the UK, not just golf. For example Usain Bolt rarely competes over here. It is very annoying. UEFA seem to have enough power to bypass these rules: they get the UK government to pass a law to exempt the champions league final.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:06 am

GPB wrote:Bet the members of London Golf Club really like all the noise coming from the nearby race track.  

Wish production could silence all the background noise of what sounds like motorcycles.

That's just normal traffic from the M25. Haha

Actually the course is next to Brands Hatch. Reminds me of another Jack Nicklaus course... Montecastillo in Spain which is next to Jerez race track.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:07 am

Speaking of taxes: Bono came out saying the Irish corporate tax system is the sole reason the country is (was) prosperous. We all know it's right - but bit of a bold statement from the leftists posterboy. Mac, where are you?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:13 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
Shotrock wrote:The Ryder Cup IS an exhibition event ... The charity? Mostly the European Tour.
I suppose that point had to come up...especially as the U.S. is getting roundly caned these days. A little churlish maybe?
In fairness to sr, without the revenue from the RC the ET (and most likely European golf) would be f-ked.

The US PGA (beneficiary of the RC) on the other hand has limited influence on the PGA Tour - and the latter surely don't need any money.

So American golf doesn't need the RC, but European golf does.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:14 am

I'm surprised Bono had time to discuss taxation in Ireland. Doesn't he know there's an Ebola crisis in Africa? UN chief doing his best to get Bono out there, maybe he's trying to get him infected in revenge for U2's mediocre recent albums.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:18 am

Robo,
By the way I agree Finca Cortesin was an excellent venue, lots of risk reward holes ideal for match play. I played there a couple of years ago and it is spectacular, Europe's answer to Kapalua.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:57 am

kwinigolfer wrote:ray,
Course looked good from 3,000 miles away but crowds about what you'd expect for a 606v2 outing. Three Par-3's, Three Par-4's and Three Par-5's on the back nine are great for MatchPlay.
Hopefully they'll turn out in their tens of thousands for the final four days.

The odd thing is that they aren't even using the best course at the London club. The Heritage course is much better and hosted the European open a couple of times a few years back. Played it 2 days after the European Open and it was immaculate, with rock hard lightening quick greens and thick rough everywhere.

Bit confusing because they are playing some of the back nine holes on the International in a different order. Am guessing it is an attempt to inject drama by leaving the risk/reward holes over water to later in the round. Playing here again in a couple of weeks - hope the weather holds.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:04 am

raycastleunited wrote:
The punitive tax regime has harmed many sports events in the UK, not just golf. For example Usain Bolt rarely competes over here. It is very annoying. UEFA seem to have enough power to bypass these rules: they get the UK government to pass a law to exempt the champions league final. [/quote] I'm not a tax expert... but I can read what it entails and what athletes have said about it... and just NOT a good thing for sport. And again... while you'll never catch me shredding a tear for some rich athlete and his tax problems... I don't disrespect them for exercising lower priced options when available.

And I completely get what Bono is talking about. Ireland's favorable Corporate Tax policies are just too enticing for so many companies to pass up... And on the corporate taxation front... the USA is as bad or worse in de-incentivizing corporations to headquarter here as the UK is with its policies on athletes. But in our case, it's costing us MUCH more than just a few prime sporting events... where once we were the magnet, now we're chasing white collar jobs and investment capital off our shores at such alarming rates its beyond mind-boggling.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:06 am

Looks like a weaker field in Sea Island next week.

I think Kuchar, Zach, Kirk, Haas, Webb, and Brendon Todd are the only top 50 players.

There are 10 Top 50 players in Vegas this week.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:07 pm

pedro wrote:Speaking of taxes: Bono came out saying the Irish corporate tax system is the sole reason the country is (was) prosperous. We all know it's right - but bit of a bold statement from the leftists posterboy. Mac, where are you?

If there's a bigger bell end in the world than Bono, I've no idea who it is.

It's not as if U2 are even any good, he's got absolutely nothing to redeem him.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:34 pm

U2 used to be very good (in my opinion), fantastic live.

As for Bono, one day he's going to try and walk on water or step off a tall building and discover he isn't god after all.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:49 pm

raycastleunited wrote:U2 used to be very good (in my opinion), fantastic live.

As for Bono, one day he's going to try and walk on water or step off a tall building and discover he isn't god after all.

Bill Bailey does a good joke on his guitar about how all U2 songs sound exactly the same. Very funny.

As for Bono himself, I cannot stand "celebrities" like him being political. They are the biggest hypocrites in the world.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:56 pm

Less of that nonsense super, U2 were the best band in the world in the late 80's/early 90's. At least Bono is trying to help the less fortunate, him and Bob Geldof in years to come will be viewed in a similar way to Nelson Mandela or Mahatma Gandhi, in my opinion.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:11 pm

incontinentia wrote:Less of that nonsense super, U2 were the best band in the world in the late 80's/early 90's. At least Bono is trying to help the less fortunate, him and Bob Geldof in years to come will be viewed in a similar way to Nelson Mandela or Mahatma Gandhi, in my opinion.

I can almost taste the irony and sarcasm Inco. Very good. Leprechaun

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:18 pm

I'm not being sarcastic, they are humanitarians and should be recognised as such
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:23 pm

Ha ha ha, I don't know much about Geldof's "work" lately, although he is annoying, but Bono is a p rick of the highest order. THere isn't a chance he'll be regarded as a humanitarian.

What has he done to contribute to anything other than to keep his hasbeen persona in the public consciousness 20 years past his sell by date.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:29 pm

It's funny because Bono is not even talking to his constituency, just as U2 has a history of dodging taxes.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:48 pm

super_realist wrote:
What has he done to contribute to anything other than to keep his hasbeen persona in the public consciousness 20 years past his sell by date.
"There are few people in the music industry who have the presence of Bono. The Irish frontman of U2 knows no limitations when it comes to fighting poverty and hunger, and is constantly in direct contact with world leaders and policy makers in his quest to make the world a better place.

Bono was inspired to get involved in charity work after seeing The Secret Policeman’s Ball in 1979. In 1986 he helped organize Amnesty International's Conspiracy Of Hope tour alongside Sting, who was one of the Secret Policeman’s Ball performers seen by Bono, Peter Gabriel, Lou Reed, and Bryan Adams. He also got involved in the Band Aid and Live Aid projects which were organized by Bob Geldof – another Secret Policeman’s Ball performer, and later helped Geldof organize the 2005 Live 8 project.

His first contact with charitable causes was in 1986, prior to the Conspiracy of Hope tour, when World Vision invited him to Ethiopia. While there, Bono developed an education program with his wife, Ali, that used one-act plays and songs to spread information on health, hygiene, and other issues. He released a book of photos he took during the trip called “String Of Pearls”.

Bono followed his trip to Ethiopia with visits to Nicaragua and El Salvador with Sanctuary to draw attention to the conflicts and help children.

He wrote a song called Silver and Gold for Steve Van Zandt's Artists Against Apartheid, and participated in Van Zandt’s anti-apartheid single Sun City.

Bono and The Edge attended the Festival Against Racism in Hamburg, Germany, in 1993. The event consisted of a concert, a press conference, a theatrical event, and a debate on the subject of anti-racism.

Bono has been a leader in the fight against poverty, and has helped to create the ONE Campaign, DATA, (RED) and EDUN, a clothing company which is striving to stimulate trade with poverty stricken countries.

He was on Forbes’ Generous Celebrity List for his work with Debt AIDS Trade Africa (DATA) against the spread of AIDS and for debt relief in Africa, participation in fundraising concerts like Live 8, and his donation of $50,000 to One in Four Ireland, a charity that helps survivors of sexual abuse.

Bono has received 3 nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize, and was knighted in 2007.

Bono met with President Sarkozy of France early in 2008, to discuss issues brought to light by DATA.

“We had a feisty factual meeting about effective aid, French aid and the risks to EU credibility of broken promises to the world’s poor,” said Bono after the meeting. "The President knows the details and moves fast.

“Within the meeting the President not only promised to restore 20 million Euros cut from the Global Fund to fight AIDS TB and malaria, he also said he would send through a plan to restore promised French aid trajectories in the next few weeks.

“The President admitted it would be very very hard, but France would keep her word.”

incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:56 pm

So he wrote a few songs and performed a one act play. Brilliant. What a guy.

I wouldn't care if he cured cancer, he's still one of the worlds biggest bell ends and a colossal hypocrite.

To top it off, U2 are scheisse. Dad rock at it's worst. I'd close the curtains if they were performing in my garden.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:58 pm

Loved Alan Partridge's view of Sunday Bloody Sunday,

"You have to get the papers, wash the car, Sunday Bloody Sunday eh"

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:05 pm

Thats your opinion super, but One is always top ten in any greatest song of all time list. And Joshua tree was critically acclaimed as one of the best albums ever. Just saying...

And Bono has been nominated for a Nobel prize 3 times? didn't know that but it backs up my point that in years to come he will probably be recognised as one of the greatest humanitarians of our time.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:12 pm

Good on you Bono. But why dodge taxes yourself?

One has the impression that you, like most other politicians, has one point of view when it's other people's money, but when it's your own....

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:22 pm

incontinentia wrote:Thats your opinion super, but One is always top ten in any greatest song of all time list. And Joshua tree was critically acclaimed as one of the best albums ever. Just saying...

And Bono has been nominated for a Nobel prize 3 times? didn't know that but it backs up my point that in years to come he will probably be recognised as one of the greatest humanitarians of our time.

Sentimental old crap Inco. I don't really care about subjective polls.

Have you seen how much ticket to see U2 is? It's about £90 and you praise that moron for donating $50k to some charity?
That's like me putting 1p in a charity tin.

Stalin was also nominated twice for the Nobel peace prize, did you know that?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:22 pm

Obama, invloved in more wars than other presidents in the last few decades, won it.

It's all about image, less about walking the talk.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:50 pm

Hackles raised slightly in the Obama corner.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:43 pm

Luiten FIVE up after seven holes vs Pablito - that's a strong start.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:52 pm

There are no UK or Irish players in the last 8 in the match play. Kinda ironic as it's one of the few events in the UK.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:31 am

The bitter vitriol aimed at so many successful people (in golf and other walks of life) on this board shocks me sometimes...

Is that a uniquely Socialist quality or just what? Just askin cuz I have a socialist brother in law in Norwich with the same "DAMN anybody and everybody who've made something of themselves greater than me" attitude.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:07 am

Hypocrites will always be fair game though, robo.
'Course, hypocracy is often in the eye of the beholder.

Loving the Coetzee / Reed match.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:24 am

Wow,
Will this win start to elevate Coetzee from a nearly man to a top class (winning) golfer? 8 under par according to be TV guys.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:51 am

incontinentia wrote:Less of that nonsense super, U2 were the best band in the world in the late 80's/early 90's...
It's not April 1st is it? What did I drink last night?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:00 am

incontinentia wrote:Thats your opinion super, but One is always top ten in any greatest song of all time list. And Joshua tree was critically acclaimed as one of the best albums ever. Just saying...

I like "One" but "one of the greatest humanitarians of our time"? Seriously? Not even close. He's only recognised as anything because the lightweight politicians think it looks cool if they're seen with him. In actual fact, it just makes them look shallow and a little pathetic.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:06 am

robopz wrote:The bitter vitriol aimed at so many successful people (in golf and other walks of life) on this board shocks me sometimes...

Is that a uniquely Socialist quality or just what?   Just askin cuz I have a socialist brother in law in Norwich with the same "DAMN anybody and everybody who've made something of themselves greater than me" attitude.
It's not that robo. It's the hypocrisy etc. I have no problem with success per se - just enjoy your money and stfu. If someone starts pontificating about this or that when, basically, they're talking crap, they deserve to be ridiculed for it. I have no idea of Bono's tax affairs but if he's not 100% legit, he deserves to be pilloried given the stuff he spouts.
What was it someone said? "Better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than open one's mouth and confirm it beyond all doubt"? Or something like that...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:36 am

Expect the birdies and eagles to fly in Las Vegas. 79 golfers make the cut so there'll be a 54-hole cut, once again Top 70 and ties.
That's Harrington's first goal but hopefully he can find some form and head East to McGladrey with some real momentum.

Knox has already made 14 birdies and Laird has only missed four greens in 36 holes; if they can repeat that they'll be in for high finishes - perhaps a win?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:12 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Wow,
Will this win start to elevate Coetzee from a nearly man to a top class (winning) golfer? 8 under par according to be TV guys.

Agree about Coetzee should be winning regularly on the European Tour.....one heck of a talent!!

That being said, I know it's matchplay but I can't see Stenson losing tomorrow!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:03 am

It may not last, but 2 x Scots in the Top 3 - when was the last time that happened in a PGA Tour event?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:15 am

Pedro

Bono is no poster boy of mine.

Robo

Socialism is nothing more than rationalism and an evidence based world view. Not sure it extends to prescribing what to think of blow hard crappy pop singers. Although the UK in general is less willing to accept that those who have made it to the top have done so based on merit. I imagine socialism attracts more peope with a questioning mind so maybe that is why it seems we are more likely to criticize those in positions of responsibility. (PS I am so hammered and apologize if this makes no sense)
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:30 am

Mac, you really must be hammered.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:00 am

robopz wrote:The bitter vitriol aimed at so many successful people (in golf and other walks of life) on this board shocks me sometimes...

Is that a uniquely Socialist quality or just what?   Just askin cuz I have a socialist brother in law in Norwich with the same "DAMN anybody and everybody who've made something of themselves greater than me" attitude.
Not the first time that's been noticed robo, it would be nice if there was more balance here. I often wonder if there is ANYONE in the world who meets certain people's approval.

incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:19 am

Harrington making life difficult for himself. Why does he do dat?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:40 am

Looks like exit stage left for St.Padraig. Very disappointing, but another chance in Georgia.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next