The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales appreciation Thread from a Englishman

+26
PenfroPete
TightHEAD
rainbow-warrior
quinsforever
yappysnap
TobyBryant
Cyril
Cowshot
Mr Bounce
SecretFly
gregortree
The Saint
Welly
bedfordwelsh
No9
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
jimmyinthewell68
fa0019
funnyExiledScot
GunsGerms
lostinwales
LordDowlais
Biltong
Geordie
bluestonevedder
beshocked
30 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Wales appreciation Thread from a Englishman Empty Wales appreciation Thread from a Englishman

Post by beshocked Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:18 pm

To cut through all the animousity I thought it would be nice to talk about only positive things about Wales. Which players you like in Wales and the positives about Wales. Talk about Wales in a calm and productive manner.

I will start it off:

George North - quality player, I think we are fortunate to have him in the Aviva Premiership.

The Welsh national side - good team - lots of quality players and passionate fanbase.

Thoughts?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Wales appreciation Thread from a Englishman Empty Re: Wales appreciation Thread from a Englishman

Post by bluestonevedder Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:22 pm

Good idea beshocked. 

Sam Warburton- excellent player, and I hope he stays fit for the 6N and WC. 

Faletau- most well-rounded no.8 in the NH. 

Roberts- I hate him because he's a great player but also a damn doctor

North- as beshocked's post above 

Liam Williams- abrasive, like a younger Brown

Hallem Amos- good prospect 

That'll do for now. 

Oh, Millenium stadium- heck of a place. Especially with the roof on. 

Oh, finally, Wales in general- a lovely place! I spent 4 years at university there and thoroughly enjoyed every day of it.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Wales appreciation Thread from a Englishman Empty Re: Wales appreciation Thread from a Englishman

Post by Geordie Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:25 pm

The fact thats its far away from Newcastle is very nice!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:32 pm

Shortly after the 1995 RWC Wales played a test at Ellispark, there was a middle aged Welsh couple just behind us in the stands, and we started chatting to them.

Although Wales were soundly beaten the Welsh couple were very friendly and complimentary of the Springboks, Bennet managed to score a try and they celebrated like crazy.

They were a very nice couple, a mate of mine and I took them for dinner the next week, our tradition was to be the first in and the last to leave, the couple agreed to our rules and we had a very pleasant but late evening out.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:36 pm

beshocked wrote:To cut through all the animousity I thought it would be nice to talk about only positive things about Wales. Which players you like in Wales and the positives about Wales. Talk about Wales in a calm and productive manner.

I will start it off:

George North - quality player, I think we are fortunate to have him in the Aviva Premiership.

The Welsh national side - good team - lots of quality players and passionate fanbase.

Thoughts?

I do not like George North as a player, he cannot defend for toffee and he cost us the game out in South Africa, him and Cuthbert, for me are all that is wrong for Wales, I would put Eli Walker on one wing and Leigh Halfpenny on the other.

P.S cheers for the thread. Hug

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:46 pm

Oh I'd keep North. Cuthbert is a teriffic strike runner but defense wise makes Visser look almost OK. You do need some variety though

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:00 pm

Im not English but I like North, 1/2p and Wynn Jones.

I have also had really positive experiences in Cardiff everytime I have been there for Leinster games so the fans/locals deserve lots of credit too.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:04 pm

For me the key for Wales between now and the World Cup is to transition some fresh faces into an extremely established side without ruining the benefits of continuity.

What you get with Gatland's teams is physicality, excellent conditioning and a simple but effective game plan. I think his team selections have been a tad conservative in the last season or so and I do think the side could use some fresh faces in the AIs.

Still, Wales have been a very strong side and difficult to beat during the Gatland era, which has brought significant trophy success. They are an experienced and battle hardened squad with 100s of caps and a group of Lions' series winners. They also have the best away fans in the 6 Nations in my opinion.

It's a horrible World Cup draw for Wales, but at the same time a thrilling one, and Gatland will have his squad in mint condition for the tournament.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:05 pm

Lorddowlais I think you just need to utilise North more effectively.

Cuthbert caused havoc against England in that 30-3 because you used him well. He exposed Brown twice - not Brown's fault necessarily because he is not a winger.

He linked well with the flankers as well.

I have said many times that teams in general need to use wingers better. Cuthbert and North are both good wingers - use them! I would want them running good lines to make the most of their strengths.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:11 pm

beshocked wrote:Lorddowlais I think you just need to utilise North more effectively.

Cuthbert caused havoc against England in that 30-3 because you used him well. He exposed Brown twice - not Brown's fault necessarily because he is not a winger.

He linked well with the flankers as well.

I have said many times that teams in general need to use wingers better. Cuthbert and North are both good wingers - use them! I would want them running good lines to make the most of their strengths.

And that there is the problem, they are big guys, but they get out jumped under the high ball against smaller wingers, they are out of position ALL THE TIME, they cannot tackle for toffee, and they are big boys, use your advantage, those two players never make the most of their strengths, it is very frustrating to watch.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:15 pm

Surely it's part of a coaches' job to do that?

For example in training the coaches could practice kick and chase or cross field kicks? It's not something that needs to stay a weakness.

Surely the coaches could look at videos and give advice to the players?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:17 pm

beshocked wrote:Surely it's part of a coaches' job to do that?

For example in training the coaches could practice kick and chase or cross field kicks? It's not something that needs to stay a weakness.

Surely the coaches could look at videos and give advice to the players?

I jus think they are both big babies, and do not like doing the rough stuff.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:23 pm

Cuthbert has 13 tries in 27 games. North has 20 in 45. Not exactly terrible strike rates, although I agree that both are better in attack than in defence.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:26 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Cuthbert has 13 tries in 27 games. North has 20 in 45. Not exactly terrible strike rates, although I agree that both are better in attack than in defence.

Cuthbert and North are very good finishers, and that is it, they offer feck all else. Although I suppose some people will say that wingers are there for their finishing, but they must stop the opposite wingers as well.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:32 pm

Personally I think it's a nice luxury for Wales that they have two giant wingers.

England in comparison have really struggled producing wingers like that.

Banahan is the most comparable....not exactly a big success unfortunately..

Both North or Cuthbert could have played for England - it's a shame they picked Wales instead.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:37 pm

beshocked wrote:Personally I think it's a nice luxury for Wales that they have two giant wingers.

Both North or Cuthbert could have played for England - it's a shame they picked Wales instead.

They chose Wales because that is where they have played their rugby all their life. It's not as if they were a Fijian and have come over here recently to play for Bath. Wink

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:37 pm

beshocked wrote:Personally I think it's a nice luxury for Wales that they have two giant wingers.

I think they both realised that with Chris Ashton on the scene there would be limited opportunities for England Wink

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:43 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Cuthbert has 13 tries in 27 games. North has 20 in 45. Not exactly terrible strike rates, although I agree that both are better in attack than in defence.

Cuthbert and North are very good finishers, and that is it, they offer feck all else. Although I suppose some people will say that wingers are there for their finishing, but they must stop the opposite wingers as well.

I'm not sure I agree with that, they're both natural finishers, but I've seen them both create a few tries for Wales with breaks, Cuthbert had a stormer in the 2nd test against the Springboks too

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:47 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

They chose Wales because that is where they have played their rugby all their life. It's not as if they were a Fijian and have come over here recently to play for Bath. Wink

Wow you really do have a bee in your bonnet about that one dont you....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:11 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Wow you really do have a bee in your bonnet about that one dont you....

To be honest I am saying it in jest. The only thing that ruffled my feathers with that one was the fact that, just because he served in the army, it should give him more of a right to play for England. Look, for the record England are doing nothing wrong in selecting him, the rules are the rules, but I can do without people on here banging on about how good Englands strength in depth is, when you are giving caps out to any nationality as well.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:15 pm

It is rather amusing that even a thread dedicated to English fans praising Welsh players has turned into a squabble between the Welsh and the English, with the English praising Welsh players and the Welsh now saying that they aren't very good!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:17 pm

Don't think Cuthbert played any rugby in Wales before he joined the blues no?

Born and raised in Gloucester no to a Welsh mum and English father. Played academy rugby in England but no one bar the blues picked him up. Surprising that. Anyhow, I don't have an issue with him playing for Wales, just a shame his mum wasn't from East Kilbride.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:24 pm

Anyhow, Welsh appreciation... umm

thanks for the coal, the + sign, Geraint Thomas, Welsh cakes and the Tudors.

In terms of rugby....they're my favourite second team. Whoever they play, I favour them second!!!! Wink

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:32 pm

LD

I think England do have strength in depth as regards to players tested in the premiership.

Does the international team have strength in depth...im not sure. We have talented players wh have performed in the Prem and indeed in europe...but have never been tested at the International level.

For me dpeth means tried and tested players to come in to cover injury...etc, and if we're honest...theres few in the world at the moment really have huge strength in depth.

As for Roko...
1) We have had to put up with the likes of Waldrom etc...who have no affinity with our country whatsoever...they discovered an English granny etc...that type of player doesnt endear themselves to the English rugby fan.
Roko has been over here and qualifies only on residency yes (he still fulfills the criteria) but why people are backing him more is that if a guy is prepared to stand on a battlefield for this Island...then they are showing more affinity than the Waldrom type. People are warm to that kind of player.

2)
You say a lack of strength in depth means selecting Roko. Yes and no.
We have some cracking players, but one thing we have admitted we miss is a few monster wingers coming through...not even monsters...just a few powerful ones, which is quite an essential ingredient in a rugby team these days....especially the style Lancaster is playing.
Thus Roko has jumped somewhat to the top of the list as he fulfills that criteria.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:33 pm

fa0019 wrote:Anyhow, Welsh appreciation... umm

In terms of rugby....they're my favourite second team. Whoever they play, I favour them second!!!! Wink

Laugh Laugh

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:33 pm

Lorddowlais please keep to the positive stuff. I only mention Cuthbert and North because I am envious of Wales and wish England had wingers of their size - I can understand why both picked Wales.

Let's not get into the nationality argument.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:36 pm

beshocked wrote:Lorddowlais please keep to the positive stuff. I only mention Cuthbert and North because I am envious of Wales and wish England had wingers of their size - I can understand why both picked Wales.

Beshocked, you know very well its difficult for LD to do that....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:38 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:It is rather amusing that even a thread dedicated to English fans praising Welsh players has turned into a squabble between the Welsh and the English, with the English praising Welsh players and the Welsh now saying that they aren't very good!!

I never said they aren't very good, I would rather have different one's. Thats just ny opinion though, I do appreciate everyone else's oppinions though, this is a discussion forum afterall. Hug

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:41 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
beshocked wrote:Lorddowlais please keep to the positive stuff. I only mention Cuthbert and North because I am envious of Wales and wish England had wingers of their size - I can understand why both picked Wales.

Beshocked, you know very well its difficult for LD to do that....

Please tell me you are joking. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:42 pm

fa0019 wrote:Don't think Cuthbert played any rugby in Wales before he joined the blues no?

Born and raised in Gloucester no to a Welsh mum and English father. Played academy rugby in England but no one bar the blues picked him up. Surprising that. Anyhow, I don't have an issue with him playing for Wales, just a shame his mum wasn't from East Kilbride.

He was playing sevens for Wales for ages, wether that was the same time as playing for the Blues though, I do not know. Sorry

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:45 pm

And the national health service, lava bread, Catherine Jenkings, the steam engine, Dylan Thomas and our Welsh lamb. It's all ok, it's on the house, go on have them. Yahoo

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:53 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

And the national health service, lava bread, Catherine Jenkings, the steam engine, Dylan Thomas and our Welsh lamb. It's all ok, it's on the house, go on have them. Yahoo

well if you're going to make wild claims why not ask us to give thanks to you chaps for inventing the wheel, the jet engine and KFC's secret recipe... I mean come on, Dylan Thomas welsh.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:56 pm

Steam engines come from Devon. Keep up the research please

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:28 pm

How about the good looking gene

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:32 pm

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:How about the good looking gene

Or the overweight gene. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:13 am

lostinwales wrote:Steam engines come from Devon. Keep up the research please

Wrong, wrong, wrong, perhaps you should do some research, the steam engine came from my very own town, it was invented by Richard Trevithick, he is from Cornwall, but the steam engine is from South Wales it was invented to carry the coal and iron ore, there is even a street in my town named after the man and the first ever rails that the engine travelled on are mounted on a plinth in our town centre. I cannot post a link on this damn I pad, but if you check Wikipedia you will see the first use of the steam engine was from Penydarren iron works in Merthyr Tydfil.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:36 am

For the first time ever I find myself having to say that LordDowlais is indeed correct.

My in-laws are an engineering family from Cornwall with a picture of Trevithick on the wall!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:39 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:For the first time ever I find myself having to say that LordDowlais is indeed correct.

My in-laws are an engineering family from Cornwall with a picture of Trevithick on the wall!

Of course, I am correct, it is a part of my heritage from being born and raised in Merthyr Tydfil, it is one of the main things we are educated with in school, it is a big and very proud bit of history from my town.

P.s thanks for your support FES.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:45 am

Thats a locomotive. Steam engines have an ancient history (e.g the hero engine) but before Trevithick you have people like Newcomen and Savery.

All the best developments were driven by conditions in Cornwall, because you had a huge need (copper mines) and no readily available fuel after you have cut the trees down.

Of course the copper ore was then shipped over to Swansea for processing because you had coal on the doorstep, so Swansea got all the slag heaps while Cornwall got left with bare hills and ruined mine buildings

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:50 am

Ok then I will edit my post to locomotive engine instead of steam engine, but I meant the choo choo train.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:20 am

It has all gone a bit spotter now Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:20 am

Slightly related but the original Rocket is preserved at the Science Museum in London.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:03 am

lostinwales wrote:Slightly related but the original Rocket is preserved at the Science Museum in London.

Stephensons Rocket, the chimney on it was so big they had to take it off every time they came to a bridge, they used that in Merthyr as well, it is the one on a five pound note, I think, or it might be on a tenner.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:40 am

Thank you master Sir ,thank you sir, to climb down from your mighty English throne and pat the principality on the back must have been exhausting for you.
Thank you again sir please don't horse whip me.

What a tool of an article the last thing we need to hear is what we already know. picard

DeludedOptimistorjustDave

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:12 am

lostinwales wrote:Thats a locomotive. Steam engines have an ancient history (e.g the hero engine) but before Trevithick you have people like Newcomen and Savery.

All the best developments were driven by conditions in Cornwall, because you had a huge need (copper mines) and no readily available fuel after you have cut the trees down.

Of course the copper ore was then shipped over to Swansea for processing because you had coal on the doorstep, so Swansea got all the slag heaps while Cornwall got left with bare hills and ruined mine buildings

WHAT was that.... Swansea got all the SLAG Whistle

If you think that you want to look further up the valleys... LOADS of SLAG up there.... Sorry Run

Only Joking...:

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:53 pm

Valley commandos Shocked

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:55 pm

lostinwales wrote:Valley commandos Shocked

Ex RAF by any chance lost?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:06 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
lostinwales wrote:Valley commandos Shocked

Ex RAF by any chance lost?

Me no. Career academic until I finally escaped. Its just any time I had cause to be travelling through Swansea late at night (or on late trains in that area) you did get to see some scary sights. Its a complete mystery as to why womens rugby in Wales isnt stronger.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:12 pm

Valley commandos, from what I can gather, was the names given to the idiots from around the valleys who used to like to pump themselves up with steroids, and then put on a small t-shirts so that their arms and chest were bulging out of them, and they were covered in fake tan, the most common type, were the ones to be found in Merthyr who would also love wearing the pink Cardiff Blues top, they would frequently go down to the big city prowling their Savannah for their pray.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:16 pm

Well if your Ex RAF of a certain trade and a certain era Valley Commandos take on a whole new meaning.

At RAF St Athan in the 70s, 80s and early 90s they were the names given to the females that were bused onto camp for Bop (Disco) night on a Wednesday.

Buses would go out Barry and Penarth way and then out Bridgend, Measteg way and bring women onto camp.

Some of the stories told and witnessed would make your hair curl and you took your life in your own hands if you were ever 'lucky' enough to get picked up by one Wink

Oh they were the days lol
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next