The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hands off Sarries, Launchbury's staying at Wasps.

+5
yappysnap
BigTrevsbigmac
BamBam
beshocked
Hound of Harrow
9 posters

Go down

Hands off Sarries, Launchbury's staying at Wasps. Empty Hands off Sarries, Launchbury's staying at Wasps.

Post by Hound of Harrow Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:54 am

Smile Smile Smile

Great news for us beleaguered Waspies. Apparently it's a three year deal, but not confirmed on the offy site.

Yahoo

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Hands off Sarries, Launchbury's staying at Wasps. Empty Re: Hands off Sarries, Launchbury's staying at Wasps.

Post by beshocked Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:33 am

Good for Wasps - congratulations.

Sarries don't need him anyway.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Hands off Sarries, Launchbury's staying at Wasps. Empty Re: Hands off Sarries, Launchbury's staying at Wasps.

Post by BamBam Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:01 am

Yep, signing a young English player with the potential to be the very best in the world in his position is definitely not something a club would look to do

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:09 am

Disregarding all the goings on, off pitch...

On the pitch they are developing very well under big Dai.

He's made a good decision i think.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:10 am

Bambam yes but Saracens have Kruis and Itoje as young English players.

Better for Launchbury to stay at Wasps for the good of England too.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:12 am

Yes Geordie our squad is gradually getting stronger.
However, I don't believe Joe would have signed if Wasps hadn't sorted out their secure future which now is a move to Coventry.

Great news for Wasps fans

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:13 am

Sorry, I was being unnecessarily flippant

Yep I think its good for England, and the right decision for Joe too imo

Is Itoje going to be a blindside or a lock beshocked? Has he had any time this season, or more likely to be in the LV?

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:25 am

No game time yet this season.

LV cup is where I expect we will see him though I would be tempted to play him against LW too.

Lock I expect.

By the way when I was saying Saracens don't need Launchbury, it's not because I think Launchbury is a bad player or anything like that.

He's very good it's just he suits Wasps current predicament far more. Wasps are starting to build together a nice squad and Launchbury is key to their plans.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:30 am

Behocked my granny could put in a good shift against LW and shes been dead for 5 years!

I'd definately be looking to give him time against them.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:54 pm

Should be able to get some good game time against Falcons too...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:58 pm

beshocked wrote:Bambam yes but Saracens have Kruis and Itoje as young English players.

Better for Launchbury to stay at Wasps for the good of England too

Launchbury is a massive step up on both and is younger than Kruis, whilst Itoje is completely untested at prem level

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:10 pm

Bathite wrote:Launchbury is a massive step up on both and is younger than Kruis, whilst Itoje is completely untested at prem level

And their costs reflect this. I know you're a Bath fan but at least pretend there is a salary cap. Wink

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:21 pm

Disagree completely.

Less than a year younger. Massive step up is a bit of a stretch - not sure whether you are overhyping Launchbury or underrating Kruis - perhaps a bit of both? I hope Kruis can prove his doubters wrong.

Of course Launchbury is the more experienced international player but I don't think the gulf is that big.

It would be like saying that Farrell is a massive step up above Ford. Whistle

Actually Itoje played against Leicester last season at prem level and according to reports played very well.

It's not surprising we disagree though because we have differing views on numerous players.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:27 pm

Nothing to do with our opinions on players, just pretty clear to me that there's going to be a big gap in quality when you compare an England regular who has proven himself against the world's best to someone just joined the edges of the EPS squad and someone else on the edge of a prem matchday squad

At similar ages, one has played 22 times for England and is a regular starter, whilst one has only just broken into the england squad. So yes, massive step up.

Think it is pretty clear at this stage in time. Kruis might well get a bench spot in a 6 nations game, but Launchbury will be first pick.

Itoje is a talent, but hasn't played at the prem level so we can't tell how good he is, yet.

Nothing against either Saracens players, but they don't have Launchbury's experience

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:28 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
Bathite wrote:Launchbury is a massive step up on both and is younger than Kruis, whilst Itoje is completely untested at prem level

And their costs reflect this. I know you're a Bath fan but at least pretend there is a salary cap. ;)

I don't understand the relevance of Bath or the salary cap in this conversation

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:45 pm

This is club level we are talking about. A club wants their players to perform their best at their level.

It's why many a time Hodgson has been picked at 10 for Saracens ahead of Farrell.

Club level and international level form can fluctuate.

Look at a player like Morgan - good at international level but his club form isn't that great to be honest.

My point is you can sign a player expecting them to deliver but they might not, Kruis has done a good job for Saracens.

Launchbury as an England international will be away with England for a number of games per season - he'll demand a higher salary.

Kruis in terms of player value arguably is worth more because of availability and being cheaper.

One of the best bargains in the AP has been signing Richard Barrington from Jersey. This is a player who has been deputising for Mako Vunipola and held his own against almost every single opposition this season. I didn't watch how did when he came on against Bath (I thought he should have started that game).

It means nothing that he's not as highly rated as the likes of Mullan or Marler. He helped stuff the Quins scrum.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:50 pm

Bathite wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

And their costs reflect this. I know you're a Bath fan but at least pretend there is a salary cap. Wink

I don't understand the relevance of Bath or the salary cap in this conversation

The Bath reference was a joke (relating to Mr Moneybags owner and all the players brought in since he took over, trust me, it was very very VERY funny).

The salary cap is relevant because you can't just go "oh, he's better than one current players we'll hire him" if you want to stay in the cap. Launchbury is in the current England starting 15. His salary will be significantly higher than Kruis' (who is in as injury replacement in the larger squad at the minute) and Itoje (who is probably on bugger all and gains them academy credits). So if they have him they've got to cut back elsewhere. Is that worth it considering the players they do have? Not really.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:00 pm

beshocked wrote:Disagree completely.

Less than a year younger. Massive step up is a bit of a stretch - not sure whether you are overhyping Launchbury or underrating Kruis - perhaps a bit of both? I hope Kruis can prove his doubters wrong.

Of course Launchbury is the more experienced international player but I don't think the gulf is that big.

I don't think Kruis has any doubters beshocked, I haven't seen anyone criticise him being in the England squad, and he's been listed as being there or thereabouts behind Lawes/Launchbury/Attwood/Parling for England spots

Launchbury is obviously more experienced, and until Kruis can show that he can perform at a similar level internationally he will not be seen as the same calibre of player (perhaps unfairly)

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:07 pm

Agreed Bambam, that's my point

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:13 pm

Bambam that's a fair statement.

Launchbury is a good player as you say Hammerofthunor but his availability and salary but would be reasons not to play him.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:09 pm

Great re-signing, and good choice Joe. 

Out of interest, does anyone know the sort of package a player would receive for this type of contract?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:58 am

yappysnap wrote:Should be able to get some good game time against Falcons too...

Now now Yappy.... warning

We're on a 4 game winning streak...the most since bwe were down in the Championship.

Exeter, London Welsh, Bucharest, Dragons........

Saints up next.... Erm

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:31 am

PS can i just add...

England are blessed with a crazy array of talent in the second rows ...and more and more coming through all the time.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down