The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales v Australia

+36
TJ
Seagultaf
offload
BigTrevsbigmac
wayne
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
The Bachelor
2ndtimeround
mckay1402
George Carlin
LondonTiger
protea438
tatterd
Nachos Jones
welshy824 (new)
Pal Joey
wales606
IanBru
tigertattie
Knackeredknees
HammerofThunor
nobbled
ScarletSpiderman
samuraidragon
maestegmafia
Notch
Cardiff Dave
GavinDragon
jimmyinthewell68
majesticimperialman
fa0019
The Saint
GunsGerms
Jhamer25
bedfordwelsh
Chunky Norwich
40 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Wales v Australia - Page 3 Empty Wales v Australia

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri 07 Nov 2014, 1:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

Only 55,000 tickets sold so far.

Let's hope these ridiculous November friendlies that are saturating the game are finally dying.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Wales v Australia - Page 3 Empty Re: Wales v Australia

Post by The Saint Sun 09 Nov 2014, 9:37 am

The Loaded Dog wrote:What about Wyn Jones' dodgy try? He looked significantly short of the line to me. It was a soft 7 points for that penalty try too.
So I'd have to disagree about Joubert favouring the Wallabies as much as some people seem to think.

A penalty try conceded from the scrum is always soft if you listen to an Australian. I can't tell if AWJ scored either, but Joubert must have been pretty sure to give it.
Joubert overseen two of Wales' test vs Aus (first and third) when we toured there and it was the same story at the breakdown in each of those, though I only think that made a difference in the third test. Nobody in the NH will ever know what he is thinking when it comes to the breakdown. Aus clearly weren't pinged a couple times for holding on, yet he pings us straight after in the Aus 22 and clearly ignored Lydiate or Hibbard's attempts to roll away from the tackle area and pinged us, then there's the ridiculously long advantage also in favour of Aus on more than a single occasion. All of this happened in the latter stages of the match at critical moments, I guess Joubert didn't want to see Wales in the lead.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 09 Nov 2014, 9:56 am

Yeah, so it was quite a flattering scoreline for Wales then. A bit like England's final scoreline but slightly even more so.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:08 am

The Saint wrote:
The Loaded Dog wrote:What about Wyn Jones' dodgy try? He looked significantly short of the line to me. It was a soft 7 points for that penalty try too.
So I'd have to disagree about Joubert favouring the Wallabies as much as some people seem to think.

A penalty try conceded from the scrum is always soft if you listen to an Australian. I can't tell if AWJ scored either, but Joubert must have been pretty sure to give it.
Joubert overseen two of Wales' test vs Aus (first and third) when we toured there and it was the same story at the breakdown in each of those, though I only think that made a difference in the third test. Nobody in the NH will ever know what he is thinking when it comes to the breakdown. Aus clearly weren't pinged a couple times for holding on, yet he pings us straight after in the Aus 22 and clearly ignored Lydiate or Hibbard's attempts to roll away from the tackle area and pinged us, then there's the ridiculously long advantage also in favour of Aus on more than a single occasion. All of this happened in the latter stages of the match at critical moments, I guess Joubert didn't want to see Wales in the lead.

Stop whinging about the ref. I watched the game - he played advantage identically for both sides - long advantages and was meticulous and fair. I thought a really good reffing performance. I tell you what = its so predictable that after any Wales loss its always the ref at fault for many of the fans. get over it! Aus where the better side and won fairly

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:19 am

The Loaded Dog wrote:Yeah, so it was quite a flattering scoreline for Wales then. A bit like England's final scoreline but slightly even more so.

Don't see how?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:22 am

[quote="TJ"]
The Saint wrote:

Stop whinging about the ref.  I watched the game - he played advantage identically for both sides - long advantages and was meticulous and fair.  I thought a really good reffing performance.  I tell you what = its so predictable that after any Wales loss its always the ref at fault for many of the fans.  get over it!  Aus where the better side and won fairly

Here we go again TJ. Any opportunity you see you come in and criticise Wales and their fans. I don't think any of us care for your Cyclops opinion on our games where the ref's always hand us 20 odd points on a plate, I certainly don't.
I've no idea why you've always been so anti-welsh, maybe this is part of the reason why: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26568499 Laugh

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:30 am

Oh don't be so pathetic, Saint. Nobody's anti-Welsh. Joubert loves whippin' the convicts with his whistle too, you know.

How's the new monocle going by the way? Laugh

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:35 am

The Loaded Dog wrote:Oh don't be so pathetic, Saint. Nobody's anti-Welsh.

Maybe you didn't spend the 2013 season on here then. I suppose you don't pay attention to Glasgow/Edinburgh threads either where the ref is talked about on a weekly basis yet when a Welsh poster does it we're all blaming the ref! Go to the England/NZ thread and you have English fans doing the same with regards to Owens, even there you have TJ in the midst of it trying be to know-it-all as per Laugh, yet when I do it over on this thread all of a sudden it's "WELSH FANS ARE AWLAYS BLAMING THE REF"... Strange state of affairs isn't it?

Haha, Ive had the same monocle for years. How's your eye patch captain?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:50 am

Is that me getting accused of being anti welsh 'cos I can't stand the constant whinging about the ref from some fans after a defeat.

Its so predictable and funny.  As predictable as the fact that and hint of any criticism of anything slightly near Wales gets you labelled antu welsh by the same "fans"

Now I usually have the saint block 'cos his daftness irritates too much but I ask you this Saint - does Wales ever get beaten when its not the refs fault?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:56 am

I think this rather makes my point.  I will put the block back on the saint and his childish whinings
The Saint wrote:The holding on was extremely lenient in Aus' favour as was the advantage. We were better at the breakdown for a change I thought, you need to be twice as good in that area with Joubert in charge. I've always stood by my opinion on him and he proved to me that I was right again. ...............
The Saint wrote:Thanks for the third instalment of the half hour advantage, said Aus to Joubert.
The Saint wrote:........................., I guess Joubert didn't want to see Wales in the lead.

Last edited by TJ on Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:56 am

The Saint wrote:
The Loaded Dog wrote:Oh don't be so pathetic, Saint. Nobody's anti-Welsh.

Maybe you didn't spend the 2013 season on here then. I suppose you don't pay attention to Glasgow/Edinburgh threads either where the ref is talked about on a weekly basis yet when a Welsh poster does it we're all blaming the ref! Go to the England/NZ thread and you have English fans doing the same with regards to Owens, even there you have TJ in the midst of it trying be to know-it-all as per Laugh, yet when I do it over on this thread all of a sudden it's "WELSH FANS ARE AWLAYS BLAMING THE REF"... Strange state of affairs isn't it?

Haha, Ive had the same monocle for years. How's your eye patch captain?

I do all those things and more, mate. However, it always seems to boil over more when you are involved in the discussions.  

I threw the eye patch away ages ago. I'm blessed with perfect 20-20 vision... now... didn't you know? Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 09 Nov 2014, 11:04 am

TJ wrote:Is that me getting accused of being anti welsh 'cos I can't stand the constant whinging about the ref from some fans after a defeat.

Its so predictable and funny.  As predictable as the fact that and hint of any criticism of anything slightly near Wales gets you labelled antu welsh by the same "fans"

Now I usually have the saint block 'cos his daftness irritates too much but I ask you this Saint - does Wales ever get beaten when its not the refs fault?

Now hang on teej, I thought it was many of the fans? Are you going back on what you just said? Because according to you every week it's many/all us Welsh fans that blame the ref. We're not allowed the same rights as everyone else, I keep forgetting.

Oh TJ I'm so happy/unhappy you unblocked/blocked me, posting about doing it in every comment you reply to me with really breaks my heart Doh Doh Doh

Keep it on block, I don't want to have to constantly read your crap replies. Now sit back and enjoy the highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYVXZ81zCiM

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 09 Nov 2014, 11:11 am

TJ wrote:Is that me getting accused of being anti welsh 'cos I can't stand the constant whinging about the ref from some fans after a defeat.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 09 Nov 2014, 11:19 am

TJ wrote: I tell you what = its so predictable that after any Wales loss its always the ref at fault for many of the fans.  get over it! 

Oh look what we have here!

Very anti-welsh sentiment in that whole comment as per, and stop going back on what you said and just admit it for a change. Quite rich too, after for years witnessing the comments about my team on 606 after every Wales/Scotland game in the 6 Nations. I hope you enjoyed the highlights reel.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 09 Nov 2014, 11:19 am

Like a woman is genetically built to moan at us men then us fans are genetically built to complain about refs.  I think Owens has come in for some criticism after yesterdays game as well hasn't he?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 09 Nov 2014, 11:20 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Lik a woman is genetically built to moan at us men then us fans are genetically built to complain about refs.  I think Owens has come in for some criticism after yesterdays game as well hasn't he?

I'm not sure. Unless Welsh fans criticise him I think we'd better sweep it under the rug?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 09 Nov 2014, 11:22 am

The difference is complaining about the ref making mistakes against your team and accusing the ref of bias. The saint constantly accuses refs of bias against Wales and accuses anyone who dare criticise anything welsh or the saint himself as anti welsh.

One thing that is certain - when wales lose according to the saint its because the ref was biased

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 09 Nov 2014, 11:27 am

Oh yeah Bedford how could we forget the one rule for Wales fans and different rules for every other fan policy, how silly of us. Don't ever let us Welsh get out of place again TJ, we will never be entitled to give an opinion or level any criticism where it's due. Heaven forbid that our team and coaches ever get some praise for doing things right as well. TBH I think Wayne Barnes was biased against Argentina. Owens and Poite, they were biased too.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 09 Nov 2014, 11:29 am

Personally I have no understanding of why the saint is allowed to continue on these boards with his continual personal attacks on me as well as others and his continual hysterical posting.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 09 Nov 2014, 11:31 am

And when all else fails, cry to the mods! That's what some fans do, or is it many, TJ? I'll be going back to my highlights reel now.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Nov 2014, 12:39 pm

AWJ looked there for me. I initially thought he was probably short, but then I do think he made the line. I thought the penalty try was fair and would actually have warned your loosehead, seeing as he clearly turned in on the second penalty.

There's no way he was consistent with his advantage calls, nor the rolling away calls though. It doesn't have an effect on the result, but it is worth mentioning.

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun 09 Nov 2014, 3:34 pm

Cant help thinking Gatland is very over rated at this point. If he was any good Wales would have come up with a game plan to beat Australia. Trouble is he seems unwilling to adapt at all. Wales are now like Ireland under Kidney, too predictable.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 09 Nov 2014, 4:29 pm

He's started to adapt a little now James in for Jenkins Webb for Phillips etc but is it to late now? I have said for sometime that his backrow staff (Howley in particular) are not good enough.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun 09 Nov 2014, 5:10 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Cant help thinking Gatland is very over rated at this point. If he was any good Wales would have come up with a game plan to beat Australia. Trouble is he seems unwilling to adapt at all. Wales are now like Ireland under Kidney, too predictable.

we scored four tries yesterday in a game plan which looked distinctly unlike warrenball

he cant make tackles or decide when to pass oor not

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun 09 Nov 2014, 5:18 pm

I admit i only saw highlights however, I fail to understand why Welsh fans have not lost patience with a manager who has failed so badly v Australia in particular. It isnt good enough. Wales should be better than that IMO.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Nov 2014, 5:29 pm

GunsGerms wrote:I admit i only saw highlights however, I fail to understand why Welsh fans have not lost patience with a manager who has failed so badly v Australia in particular. It isnt good enough. Wales should be better than that IMO.

There have been times where Wales fans have called for Gatlands sacking. But to be honest, who are the likely replacements? Sacking the coach less than a year out from the World Cup would be a bad decision by Wales.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Nov 2014, 6:01 pm

Anyone fancy explaining this one?

"Coach Warren Gatland admits Wales did not practise tackling"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/29973821

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 09 Nov 2014, 6:05 pm

Surely you can tackle or you cant. Gatland like all coaches can only do so much once the players cross the whitewash.

Can you blame coaches for intercept passes or missed tackles or bad decisions etc etc.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Nov 2014, 6:21 pm

I think, in preparation against some of world rugby's most powerful and dangerous runners, you might want to practice a bit of one on one tackling.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 09 Nov 2014, 6:21 pm

GunsGerms wrote:I admit i only saw highlights however, I fail to understand why Welsh fans have not lost patience with a manager who has failed so badly v Australia in particular. It isnt good enough. Wales should be better than that IMO.
Don't be silly he's defiantly taking the lions to NZ in 2017 remember.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 09 Nov 2014, 7:17 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:He's started to adapt a little now James in for Jenkins Webb for Phillips etc but is it to late now?  I have said for sometime that his backrow staff (Howley in particular) are not good enough.

Mate,

I remember you said that prior to Howley coaching Wales to a consecutive grand slam.

I just watched the game, to be honest I thought Wales looked rusty, sure to improve as the weeks pass. This was the first game of the season, there was a ridiculously high error count. Wales will get stuffed by the ABs and Boks if we don't cut that out.

Halfbacks looked good, bar the interception. We suffered loosing Biggar and Halfpenny, both goal kickers would give the team a huge amount of confidence.

Glad to see, despite the interviews that portrayed confidence in progress, that all the coaches looked very unhappy with the game. I imagine the players lives will get very tough in training over the next two weeks.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 09 Nov 2014, 7:37 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:He's started to adapt a little now James in for Jenkins Webb for Phillips etc but is it to late now?  I have said for sometime that his backrow staff (Howley in particular) are not good enough.

Mate,

I remember you said that prior to Howley coaching Wales to a consecutive grand slam.

Another fail maes, as Howley didn't coach Wales to a consecutive grand slam. He's saying it because for almost 8 years we've hardly seen a backs move apart from Roberts/North/Cuthbert on the inside.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 09 Nov 2014, 7:42 pm

Sorry title win not GS but same point stands. The back line plays are far more decided on who we have. We have big strong backs, we don't have midfield playmakers.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Icu Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:48 pm

The Loaded Dog wrote:Yeah, so it was quite a flattering scoreline for Wales then. A bit like England's final scoreline but slightly even more so.

Agree. Should have been a 12 point margin, minimum. The 3rd Welsh try was well short of the line. If the ref had gone to the TMO it would've been disallowed. I'm betting it wasn't replayed over and over on the big screens as Barrett's (non) try was at Twickenham which resulted in the ref reversing the original decision. The penalty try was 50/50 too. Good to know that we still can win comfortably even when having a very average game. I expect the Wallabies to improve significantly under the coaching of Michael Chieka.

Icu

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 10 Nov 2014, 5:23 am

maestegmafia wrote:

Mate,

I just watched the game, to be honest I thought Wales looked rusty, sure to improve as the weeks pass. This was the first game of the season, there was a ridiculously high error count. Wales will get stuffed by the ABs and Boks if we don't cut that out.

Halfbacks looked good, bar the interception. We suffered loosing Biggar and Halfpenny, both goal kickers would give the team a huge amount of confidence.

Glad to see, despite the interviews that portrayed confidence in progress, that all the coaches looked very unhappy with the game. I imagine the players lives will get very tough in training over the next two weeks.

Maes,

I still stand by that point and Wales won despite of Howley not because of him, in my opinion of course. Yes we looked rusty, yes we get better as tournamments progress BUT when are we going to learn from these near misses, when are we finally going to hit the ground running. We can't afford to lose early matches in competitions such as the WC.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 10 Nov 2014, 6:42 am

Now that the dust is settled, do Wales fans blame Gatland for relying on the power game or the players just for making the mistakes that cost them?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Nov 2014, 7:10 am

The players made too many silly errors, dropped balls, missed tackles the team will improve over the next few games.

I think loosing Biggar and halfpenny, the two infallible goal kickers made a big difference.

But there is a level of maturity that has been singled out as missing. Wales didn't close the game, didn't contain the Aussies for the last ten minutes. That is a worrying aspect. They need to get that right.

That said, from the start the general penalty opportunities that arose were kicked to touch or ran rather than kicked at goal, even when Biggar and Halfpenny were on the field.

So it is possible that the message from the coaches was to play an open game?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Mon 10 Nov 2014, 7:53 am

Icu wrote:

Agree. Should have been a 12 point margin, minimum. The 3rd Welsh try was well short of the line. If the ref had gone to the TMO it would've been disallowed. I'm betting it wasn't replayed over and over on the big screens as Barrett's (non) try was at Twickenham which resulted in the ref reversing the original decision. The penalty try was 50/50 too. Good to know that we still can win comfortably even when having a very average game. I expect the Wallabies to improve significantly under the coaching of Michael Chieka.

You have not put 12+ on Wales for over 6 years and Although you may win I doubt if you put that much on us for a wee while yet. It's good to know Wales can still remain close when playing a team with several games under their belt. Wales must kick themselves seeing as Argentina did the Aussies over but injuries hit us again.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Nov 2014, 8:03 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
Icu wrote:

You have not put 12+ on Wales for over 6 years and Although you may win I doubt if you put that much on us for a wee while yet.  It's good to know Wales can still remain close when playing a team with several games under their belt.  Wales must kick themselves seeing as Argentina did the Aussies over but injuries hit us again.  

Flattering scoreline...?

Four tries to three and one of the Aussies tries was an interception.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 10 Nov 2014, 8:32 am

If anyone wants an Aussie view on Gatland, these are the thoughts of Stephen Samuelson in the Sydney Morning Herald:
Popular wisdom says Albert Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. If he said it, Wales coach Warren Gatland was not listening.

Wales and Australia will join England in a genuine group of death in next September's World Cup and the importance of these November Tests is all in the eye of the coaches.

Gatland, with seven years under his belt, is currently the longest serving coach of a top-tier nation, whereas his Wallabies counterpart Michael Cheika has had just three weeks in the job. If the post-match comments of the pair are any guide there is a similar gulf in their thinking.

Gatland is convinced Wales can improve significantly ahead of next year's tournament, while the Wallabies cannot. Eclipsing Australia is merely a matter of progression. Wales are using the November Tests as a glorified training camp, flogging the players in practice with a sole focus on getting out of the group of death next September. Results in between can be buggered.

But there is a colder truth Gatland needs to embrace. Wales in Cardiff were physical with big forwards and giant backs hammering the breakdown and gainline. They defended strongly and played well, yet lost by a small margin. It's a pattern that has repeated itself against the Wallabies in their past 10 clashes. Since 2012, Kurtley Beale, Berrick Barnes, Mike Harris and now Bernard Foley have snatched victory from the Welsh in the final minutes. Other than the potential for a welcome serving of good luck, why will Twickenham be different next year?

Wales' long build up has put the spotlight on the one aspect they must improve: mental strength. While a positive World Cup outcome remains their overwhelming target, Wales risk entering the tournament without the results to boost their belief they can achieve it.

Cheika in contrast is talking a much shorter game, rightfully believing there was very little in the match that could point to future fortunes. His tenure at the Waratahs has shown an unwavering commitment that the right philosophy, vigorously pursued, will ultimately deliver the winning result. Progress is not assumed, it's earned. The Waratahs showed a capacity to learn from mistakes and the Wallabies will now have to do the same.

The scrum for most of the match was a perfect model of parity, but Gethin Jenkins's arrival led to a goal-line siege that lasted four minutes and cost the Wallabies seven points. Under Cheika, the scrum problem is to be embraced, enjoyed, but not excused. Referees are hoodwinked into giving scrum penalties against the Wallabies, but the absolute truth is far more damning. Dominant scrums are not easily manipulated. Books can only be cooked for so long before the truth is discovered.

In defence, the Wallabies missed too many tackles and had more misreads than an intelligence dossier. The effort was there, though. The defensive line speed was more sprinter than pedestrian, but its shape resembled a wave rolling up the shore. Too many jagged lines were left for Wales to exploit.

With ball in hand, Cheika's philosophy has some subtle differences from his predecessor that needs to be perfected. He has plenty of willing runners but needs more pop passes and line bending charges from his forwards to open the game up for Foley's orchestrated flatline attack.

There are World Cup lessons to be learned from Cardiff. The coach who accurately defines where his team is at while at the same time imagining where they can truly be, will have the advantage. Cheika's track record and his freshness to the role puts him in the box seat.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 10 Nov 2014, 8:57 am

maestegmafia wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
Icu wrote:

You have not put 12+ on Wales for over 6 years and Although you may win I doubt if you put that much on us for a wee while yet.  It's good to know Wales can still remain close when playing a team with several games under their belt.  Wales must kick themselves seeing as Argentina did the Aussies over but injuries hit us again.  

Flattering scoreline...?

Four tries to three and one of the Aussies tries was an interception.

22 losses in the last 24 matches v Australia is getting done over, rw. That must not be good to know.

Yes maes, I wrote flattering. See my reasoning above.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Nov 2014, 9:28 am

For me a flattering scoreline is one where one team pulls away by some margin, takes their foot off the gas and then the other team is allowed to score fairly cheaply to close the gap thus making the scoreline better than it was. However, this game was back and forth all game:

It was 7-0, 7-7, 7-14, 14-14, 14-21, 21-21 (HT). Then 21-24, 21-27, 28-27, 28-30, 28-33 - so a late-ish penalty and drop goal to pull away after Aus were behind with 10 minutes to go. So for me, not flattering at all just a real ding dong, back and forth game. That's not to say that Aus didn't deserve it - they did, they were the better team, and virtually all of the stats support that (although the stats were fairly close). But I don't think the scoreline flattered us just because we got a penalty try for repeated scrum infringements by Aus and because you don't believe that the ref saw Alun Wyn Jones touch down.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 10 Nov 2014, 9:40 am

George Carlin wrote:If anyone wants an Aussie view on Gatland, these are the thoughts of Stephen Samuelson in the Sydney Morning Herald:
Popular wisdom says Albert Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. If he said it, Wales coach Warren Gatland was not listening.

Wales and Australia will join England in a genuine group of death in next September's World Cup and the importance of these November Tests is all in the eye of the coaches.

Gatland, with seven years under his belt, is currently the longest serving coach of a top-tier nation, whereas his Wallabies counterpart Michael Cheika has had just three weeks in the job. If the post-match comments of the pair are any guide there is a similar gulf in their thinking.

Gatland is convinced Wales can improve significantly ahead of next year's tournament, while the Wallabies cannot. Eclipsing Australia is merely a matter of progression. Wales are using the November Tests as a glorified training camp, flogging the players in practice with a sole focus on getting out of the group of death next September. Results in between can be buggered.

But there is a colder truth Gatland needs to embrace. Wales in Cardiff were physical with big forwards and giant backs hammering the breakdown and gainline. They defended strongly and played well, yet lost by a small margin. It's a pattern that has repeated itself against the Wallabies in their past 10 clashes. Since 2012, Kurtley Beale, Berrick Barnes, Mike Harris and now Bernard Foley have snatched victory from the Welsh in the final minutes. Other than the potential for a welcome serving of good luck, why will Twickenham be different next year?

Wales' long build up has put the spotlight on the one aspect they must improve: mental strength. While a positive World Cup outcome remains their overwhelming target, Wales risk entering the tournament without the results to boost their belief they can achieve it.

Cheika in contrast is talking a much shorter game, rightfully believing there was very little in the match that could point to future fortunes. His tenure at the Waratahs has shown an unwavering commitment that the right philosophy, vigorously pursued, will ultimately deliver the winning result. Progress is not assumed, it's earned. The Waratahs showed a capacity to learn from mistakes and the Wallabies will now have to do the same.

The scrum for most of the match was a perfect model of parity, but Gethin Jenkins's arrival led to a goal-line siege that lasted four minutes and cost the Wallabies seven points. Under Cheika, the scrum problem is to be embraced, enjoyed, but not excused. Referees are hoodwinked into giving scrum penalties against the Wallabies, but the absolute truth is far more damning. Dominant scrums are not easily manipulated. Books can only be cooked for so long before the truth is discovered.

In defence, the Wallabies missed too many tackles and had more misreads than an intelligence dossier. The effort was there, though. The defensive line speed was more sprinter than pedestrian, but its shape resembled a wave rolling up the shore. Too many jagged lines were left for Wales to exploit.

With ball in hand, Cheika's philosophy has some subtle differences from his predecessor that needs to be perfected. He has plenty of willing runners but needs more pop passes and line bending charges from his forwards to open the game up for Foley's orchestrated flatline attack.

There are World Cup lessons to be learned from Cardiff. The coach who accurately defines where his team is at while at the same time imagining where they can truly be, will have the advantage. Cheika's track record and his freshness to the role puts him in the box seat.

Yes I don't think many people were fooled by Gats bullish comments after the game. If I had to plump which team can improve significantly more than the other of course it would be Australia who were missing a raft of players compared to one first choice centre.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Mon 10 Nov 2014, 9:43 am

To me, Wales looked very rusty but also the better side. It was just that lack of composure in the last 10mins that cost Wales the win. The Aussies were just too professional in the last 10, its the sign of a team that has been together for a while. Wales will work on that and will come back stronger. All in all, I felt it was a very entertaining match.

As for Joubert, yeah his advantage playing for the Aussies was very long. I know they made no ground but after 4-5 phases I believe that advantage should be called over, not play on until a team get a small advantage. To award a penalty after 9-10 phases seems very long to me.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Mon 10 Nov 2014, 10:04 am

Did anybody else notice two australians pick a player up and drop him? Not sure who it was but I think it was from a lineout. Could be a citing
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Nov 2014, 10:08 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
George Carlin wrote:If anyone wants an Aussie view on Gatland, these are the thoughts of Stephen Samuelson in the Sydney Morning Herald:

Yes I don't think many people were fooled by Gats bullish comments after the game. If I had to plump which team can improve significantly more than the other of course it would be Australia who were missing a raft of players compared to one first choice centre.

Wait a second there. During that game we also lost a first choice flyhalf, fullback and scrum half.

Who were Australia missing???? They looked pretty much first choice to me. Any team that can have the luxury of players like Genia, Horwill and Skelton on the bench are on pretty good form.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Mon 10 Nov 2014, 12:28 pm

The aussies had the following injured players who are all first choicers -
Stephen Moore, Scott Fardy, Scott Higginbotham David Pocock

Will Genie has been injured and is working his way back to fitness hence only a sub.

Kurtley Beale not selected due to discipline but will be back for the wqorld cup.

As you can see maes the Aussies will only get better whilst Wales continue to stagnate as they have done for the last couple of year. Its time Wale sfaced facts, they are not as good as nor have ever been good as the SH teams.

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Mon 10 Nov 2014, 12:28 pm

I missed out Quade Cooper who is also injured

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 10 Nov 2014, 12:52 pm

mckay1402 wrote:Did anybody else notice two australians pick a player up and drop him?  Not sure who it was but I think it was from a lineout.  Could be a citing
It was Gethin Jenkins, maybe they knew he was going to do them more damage at the scrum and thought to take him out. It would have taken two to lift him mind as well. It could be a citing because the ball had left the ruck and it looked off the ball.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 10 Nov 2014, 1:04 pm

wrfc1980 wrote: The aussies had the following injured players who are all first choicers -

Will Genie has been injured and is working his way back to fitness hence only a sub.

Kurtley Beale not selected due to discipline but will be back for the wqorld cup.

As you can see maes the Aussies will only get better whilst Wales continue to stagnate as they have done for the last couple of year. Its time Wale sfaced facts, they are not as good as nor have ever been good as the SH teams.

Yes those players were unavailable but that's completely irrelevant. This Ausssie team came within 1 point of NZ and in all fairness should have beaten them. As much as i hate to say it this is a good Australia team they have just been lacking consistency. Cooper who was fit to play but was not in favour over foley and is just a matter of your opinion. Genia hasn't been very good  for a while now and Phipps and Foley make a good partnership, foley especially who deserved his mom accolade and didn't miss one kick.
iway i look at it is Australia would have still won the match even f the players were involved but it wouldn't have been by any bigger margin.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 10 Nov 2014, 2:17 pm

wrfc1980 wrote: The aussies had the following injured players who are all first choicers -

Do you mean that the individual Welsh players aren't as good as the individual players in the SH teams? Or that as an international group they have not delivered?

Given Heineken Cup, 6 Nations and B&I Lions representation by the same Welsh players over the past 5 years, if you mean the former then there is definitely scope to disagree with you. If you mean the latter, then that does seem to be the case and Gatland seems unable to offer a rationale for the reason behind this obvious dichotomy.

The Fatman is now here until after the RWC, but if I was the WRU, I would give him the flick regardless of what he achieves during that tournament. A fresh coaching outlook is the most revitalising thing for a group of players and there has to be some legs to the view that Gatland is now holding this collection of players back. Or are Welsh fans worried that the team will regress without him? Wales v Australia - Page 3 1347041234
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next