The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hopkins to carry on.....

+9
AdamT
3fingers
kingraf
milkyboy
mobilemaster8
hogey
TRUSSMAN66
88Chris05
tommyhearnsprodigalson
13 posters

Go down

Hopkins to carry on..... Empty Hopkins to carry on.....

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:31 pm

So after his 1 sided beating on the weekend, Hopkins has said he's going to have one more fight!

"It will be somebody that's a champion,' he said. 'It will be from a division beneath me but where they're comfortable and I'm comfortable. It will be someone that's dominating today"

Whats the betting it will GGG moving up to fight at a catch weight......

Who would like to see this?

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Hopkins to carry on..... Empty Re: Hopkins to carry on.....

Post by 88Chris05 Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:50 pm

Was going to post this myself, THPS. Seems adamant, in his own words, that it "won't be a freak show." Think he also said in that interview with Fox Sports that, "It'll be against someone who I'm the underdog against, because I want to be the underdog. I won't sell myself cheap."

As others have speculated, it seems he wants to be able to say he went out as a world titlist at the age of fifty.

Not sure who'll be up for it at Middle / Super-Middle, mind you. Froch wants a Vegas swansong and Hopkins has headlined Vegas before and his name still brings marquee value, but it's pretty evident that Froch would much prefer a Vegas gig against someone whose style will make for an exciting fight, which Hopkins' doesn't.

Carl might be tempted by the thought of perhaps beating Calzaghe's best win more comfortably than Joe did for bragging rights, but realistically how much credit will he get for beating a fifty-year-old coming off a lop-sided decision loss? And imagine if he lost to him!?

There's Abraham, who holds a belt and is almost certainly the easiest option at 168 in that regard, but I'm not sure that'd be quite big enough (as a name, I mean) for B-Hop. Taylor's just reclaimed a Middleweight title of course, and I'm sure Hopkins wouldn't mind trying to get a win over the man who dethroned him at Middleweight nearly a decade back, but while Hopkins can make 168 I really can't see him going all the way back to 160 for that one. A catchweight would be possible, but that means no title, which I suspect Hopkins wants as part of his grand finale.

Can't see Hopkins wanting to go near Ward or Golovkin, personally.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:02 pm

I think he'll be favourite over Abraham myself, I was tossing up Froch or GGG for his next opponent but I cant see Froch beating him myself,

I cant remember where I read it but GGG's team were on about going up as far as 170 for a fight with Hopkins

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:27 pm

No money in Hoppo now for Carl.....Chris...

Where is the market for that one ?? He's British and Hoppo is 50 and just been trashed..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:37 pm

I would like him to call it a day, but lets be fair he has just become the first man to go 12 rounds with arguably the biggest beast pound for pound in boxing. He got well beat, but its likely so will the rest of the division and most wont hear the final bell. Hopkins will want to go out on winning a title at 50 then i think he will pack it in once and for all.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:38 pm

And let's not forget Hogey....Hopkins was able to stiffen kovalevs legs in rounds 7/11 & 12. Not bad for a 49 year old underdog against a power punching wrecking ball.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:43 pm

It's not a massive, bumper payday Truss, I agree there. But it depends how much Froch is willing to compromise over this Vegas obsession and how much he really wants it. Chavez Jr is proving difficult to make for a host of reasons. Froch might retire if that fight can't be made, but if he decides to go for the next best thing then Hopkins even now might be the only really viable option. Nobody in the States (nevermind Vegas) is going to flock to see Carl fighting Degale or Kessler again, but Hopkins even now can attract some interest.

Like I said, depends on how much Froch would be willing to settle and compromise. It wouldn't be his first choice but you never know, he might chose to bite the bullet and downsize his dream a little if it gets him a Vegas booking by hook or crook.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:47 pm

There was talk of ggg in the run up to the kovalev fight... But I think we assumed that was if he beat kovalev! It's not something I'd want to watch.

If it's someone who is dominant today, I guess it could only otherwise really be ward or froch's swansong in Vegas. Either that or bernie is being economic with the word dominant. Cotto  is lineal middleweight champ!

He did say a division below not 'the' division below. So Alvarez or Floyd it is then. Glad that's sorted.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:54 pm

I really cant see the bloke staying in the game this long and not trying to win one more final belt at 50. Too be honest after keeping going so long i would probably do the same if i was him and i would not want to finish on a loss.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:56 pm

He did mention Floyd a while back, IIRC. something about it being a 50/50... ie, Floyd being 49-0, and Bernard being, well, 50.
At least it's not Stevenson, no need for that car crash... he should take on Ward, would make a good fight... for the insomniacs around
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:11 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:And let's not forget Hogey....Hopkins was able to stiffen kovalevs legs in rounds 7/11 & 12. Not bad for a 49 year old underdog against a power punching wrecking ball.

You really want to see a 50 year old fight..

Why not just go down to the Motorway and wait for a crash..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:40 pm

He lost 120-106 on two cards. He probably has a freak show chin, but otherwise got battered into submission by a guy who didn't get out if third gear. There is no bright side to this. It wasn't bad for a 49-year old, sure, but it was awful for a championship fight. Which is what it was. Hardly counts as stiffening the legs if you proceed to get slapped around for the rest of the round. Sincerely hope he retires. The number 49 is after all, iconic in boxing.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:41 pm

If I was Hopkins I'd fight on. He's competitive at the very highest level. The worry was at 49 coukd he take a whollop, well, he answered that question emphatically. Yes, he lost every round to Kov but in going the distance he did better than anyone else.

He still has one good win in him.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:42 pm

If I was Hopkins I'd fight on. He's competitive at the very highest level. The worry was at 49 coukd he take a whollop, well, he answered that question emphatically. Yes, he lost every round to Kov but in going the distance he did better than anyone else.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:44 pm

How long do you want him to go on for..............Till Stevenson lands a huge right which tests Hoppo's ever weakening recovery abilities..........

Boxing is a young Man's game my friend......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:52 pm

I think he should bow out now. He took a beating and time will show he went out to a younger dangerous champion and stayed on his feet.

Don't particulary want to see a 50 year laying on his back or worse carried out on a stretcher. He has nothing to prove and is a first ballot hall of famer and ATG.

Bernard stick to the promotion side and maybe do some commentary because he obviously is a student of the game and knows his s..t.

Even better come over to old England and get yourself a job on ringside instead of the muppets and yes men they have on that show

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:54 pm

Am I the only one who'd pick him to beat Stevenson.....

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:10 am

No tommy. Haz and mobilemaster agree. Exclusive company.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:45 am

Would have had no problem with Hopkins having one final swansong had the last fight not been so comprehensively one-sided. Hopkins has been telling people for years that he's still able to miss it with the top guys but after Saturday's performance, you'd be hard pushed to sell him to the masses again.

A young fighter gets beaten, you can claim he's gone away and worked on a few new things (Khan was "reborn" after Prescott) but Hopkins is what he is and it's a case of old dogs and new tricks. In recent years Hopkins could have sold snow to Eskimos on the back of some of his performances but I'm afraid he has no more aces up his sleeve.

He's already admitted he's responsible for a lot of fighters giving it another go or carrying on too long and it was been a shame to think he was foolish enough not to see the irony on having "just one last fight" especially given that he promised to retire ten years ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:56 am

DAVE667 wrote:Would have had no problem with Hopkins having one final swansong had the last fight not been so comprehensively one-sided. Hopkins has been telling people for years that he's still able to miss it with the top guys but after Saturday's performance, you'd be hard pushed to sell him to the masses again.

A young fighter gets beaten, you can claim he's gone away and worked on a few new things (Khan was "reborn" after Prescott) but Hopkins is what he is and it's a case of old dogs and new tricks. In recent years Hopkins could have sold snow to Eskimos on the back of some of his performances but I'm afraid he has no more aces up his sleeve.

He's already admitted he's responsible for a lot of fighters giving it another go or carrying on too long and it was been a shame to think he was foolish enough not to see the irony on having "just one last fight" especially given that he promised to retire ten years ago.

Well he lived up to that on saturday

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:57 am

milkyboy wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Would have had no problem with Hopkins having one final swansong had the last fight not been so comprehensively one-sided. Hopkins has been telling people for years that he's still able to miss it with the top guys but after Saturday's performance, you'd be hard pushed to sell him to the masses again.

Well he lived up to that on saturday
Sodding fingers!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:05 am

Hopkins will probably want a smaller opponent that he can get his stink on with. He was too afraid of Kovalevs strength and power to try it on with him.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:43 am

3fingers wrote:If I was Hopkins I'd fight on. He's competitive at the very highest level. The worry was at 49 coukd he take a whollop, well, he answered that question emphatically.  Yes, he lost every round to Kov but in going the distance he did better than anyone else.

The irony of saying he's competitive at the highest level, but that he lost every round, which is a little different of being competitive at the highest level...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:54 am

The highest level doesn't consist of just one fighter at each weight, he came up very short against the best but the rest he's more than good enough for.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:57 am

Damb right milky....and what exclusive company to be in! ;-)

But I seriously think he best Stevenson.

Also, Truss, when you say its a young mans game....what do you mean?

P4P ...Floyd is about 38....Pacman around 35...GGG around 32....Wladamir around 38.....all top fighters.....all above 30.

Surely its not quite a "young man's sport"...,unless your simply comparing this ages to Bernards?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:10 am

I also think he beat Stevenson. Kova was just too big for Bernard to bully around and use his normal spoiling tactics. Was surprised at the size difference looked at least 2 or 3 weight classes between them on the night.

Don't think Stevenson present the same physical presence and if Kovalev couldn't stop Hopkins I don't think Stevenson hits hard enough to either.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:26 am

Stevenson would beat Hopkins handily enough

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down