The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joost...

+3
MrsP
GunsGerms
lostinwales
7 posters

Go down

Joost... Empty Joost...

Post by lostinwales Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:34 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30036056

Says he is involved in some research to see if there is a link with playing Rugby.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Joost... Empty Re: Joost...

Post by GunsGerms Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:49 am

There was an article in a French paper a few years that investigated SA use of pesticides on their pitches and referenced the diseases of a few of the great 1995 team. Reuben Kruger died a few years due to a rare brain disease for example.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Joost... Empty Joost van der Westhuizen in MND-rugby link research

Post by MrsP Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:05 am

Well, the title says it all.

Is this terrible disease more common in players of high impact contact sports?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30036056

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:12 am

https://www.606v2.com/t56425-joost

Is it more common? We don't know. Currently there is no established link (according to that)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:17 am

I had not spotted the other article.

Maybe a mod would combine the 2?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:24 am

There we go MrsP.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:28 am

Ta LB.

Hug

Why the name change by the way?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:34 am

Hug
I felt like a change. It's the title of a 1901 short story by Henry Lawson.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:35 am

I was writing a reply to MrsP but couldn't post as the thread didn't exist Sad

Anyway, it's difficult to say what sort of head issues will be unearthed in the next few decades. Rugby is relatively under played (certainly at the higher levels), and is relatively young as a pro game (with bigger, faster players). I was wondering what sort of issues American Football had as it's been going on for a long time, although I imagine the head impacts are different due to the helmets. Then I found this:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/249912.php

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:44 am

Terrifying!

I was wondering if it may emerge that CTE causes a slightly different form of ALS?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:48 am

Although I think that these have to be considered in context. Biggest killers? Heart disease, cancer, etc. Common causes/increasers of risk? Obesity, smoking, bad diet, etc. So are we seeing an increase in deaths from brain problems or a decrease in other common killers, meaning they die of brain problems they would have got anyway? More people are getting cancer now partially because they're living longer. Very difficult to separate out.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:54 am

But that does not really have an effect on the increased risk in Football players.

And ALS is a disease which causes premature death so increased life expectancy will not have a large effect I would not have thought.

The Parkinsons data is interesting. I wonder how many past diagnoses of Parkinsons in boxers etc were actually CTE.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:58 am

HammerofThunor wrote:https://www.606v2.com/t56425-joost

Is it more common? We don't know. Currently there is no established link (according to that)

Although, as mentioned above, Reuben Kruger died of a rare brain condition. And Tinus Linee, another Bok from that era, recently succumbed to Motor Neuron Disease.

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:03 am

MrsP wrote:But that does not really have an effect on the increased risk in Football players.

And ALS is a disease which causes premature death so increased life expectancy will not have a large effect I would not have thought.

The Parkinsons data is interesting. I wonder how many past diagnoses of Parkinsons in boxers etc were actually CTE.

Very true.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:13 am

The other interesting thing about that data is that it was the fast boys who were the ones who were affected, not those head butting defensive blockers etc.

I suppose I should not be surprised by that at all given that velocity has a geometric effect on energy.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:20 am

MrsP wrote:The other interesting thing about that data is that it was the fast boys who were the ones who were affected, not those head butting defensive blockers etc.

I suppose I should not be surprised by that at all given that velocity has a geometric effect on energy.

I suppose in rugby it may have to do with the fact that the tight five don't have brains to start with: so no chance of brain-disease there Whistle

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:28 am

Shocked

I'll let you bring that up with Brian Moore, Rodrigo Roncero and Jannie du Plessis to name but 3.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:46 pm

MrsP wrote:Shocked

I'll let you bring that up with Brian Moore, Rodrigo Roncero and Jannie du Plessis to name but 3.

I'd rather not. Not in person anyway...the good doctor et al may give me some involuntary orthopaedic surgery

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:57 pm

People are all different.  Now - you thought you'd never hear a line like that so I'm glad I educated the lot of you Wink

But seriously, I think clinical attitudes of cause and effect do always falter when they try to be ultra dismissive of the concept of randomness.

So can rugby damage brains? - certainly it can.  If it is ever 'proven' to have caused a serious injury in one distinct player, does that mean the same conditions experienced by another player will bring about the same results? - No.

We all know the guys who smoke heavily all their lives and have never fallen victim to the disease that smoking certainly does cause in many people.

And we know for a fact that rugby kills.  But still men play rugby knowing something that doesn't even need clinical trials to prove....as there is evidence there in stark B&W

So I'd say you're only fooling yourself if you believe the high impact sport of rugby played by large and physically impressive men does not have health implications into the future for any number of players.  Of course such activity will disrupt the brains and spinal cords of a certain percentage of players - and that damage will come back to haunt some players in later life or suddenly in youth.

My point is that I don't think common sense needs trials and 'proof' to acknowledge that truth.  But will trials and proof change the rules of the game or the nature of players who will still want to play it? That's probably the more pertinent point.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down