The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey news/articles

+16
freemo
LondonTiger
thegooch7
Voice of the Beehive
JDizzle
Carrotdude
kingdaveeagle
SimonofSurrey
Good Golly I'm Olly
chichestersurryfan
king_carlos
Shelsey93
jimbohammers
guildfordbat
Corporalhumblebucket
jimbobgooner
20 posters

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Surrey news/articles - Page 2 Empty Surrey news/articles

Post by guildfordbat Sun 13 Apr 2014, 4:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

Smith was back in this country today - and at Anfield to watch Liverpool beat Man City! That's nice for him. Now, I'm not suggesting he should spend his days off picking up litter in the Lock Stand at the Oval but it is important he starts to deliver for the club paying handsomely for his services.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Surrey news/articles - Page 2 Empty Re: Surrey news/articles

Post by Voice of the Beehive Thu 19 Jun 2014, 10:07 pm

The Surrey Advertiser is reporting that talks are ongoing with Dilshan to be Surrey's next overseas player.

Also says that Dernbach has been offered a new contract but is free to talk to other counties. Am I right in thinking that's true for any player with less than six months left on his current deal ?

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Jun 2014, 11:22 am

Voice of the Beehive wrote:The Surrey Advertiser is reporting that talks are ongoing with Dilshan to be Surrey's next overseas player.

Also says that Dernbach has been offered a new contract but is free to talk to other counties. Am I right in thinking that's true for any player with less than six months left on his current deal ?

Hi Beehive - there's been strong suggestion on the wallpaper (Surrey Supporters CLub) site that Dilshan is being lined up to take over from Amla. According to the Surrey Ad, Alec Stewart ''refused to be drawn on the matter but it is believed negotiations are nearing fruition''. Looks like the deal is almost done.

Stewart also makes clear in this week's Surrey Ad what I tried to convey from certain of his comments at the recent forum meeting. Having referred to the opportunities given to and successfully taken by Ansari and Curran at Derbys, Stewart added: ''We have emphasised that the Championship this year is about building long-term while the 20 and 50 over competitions are more about the here and now.''

I don't know about the ''six months contract rule''. However, the Surrey Ad don't normally blow things up out of proportion so I suspect there's an element of ''we're not going to pay through the nose for you, Jade, and so if you can get a better offer elsewhere, you might want to take it''.

Meanwhile, according to the London Evening Standard this week - whilst Kevin Pietersen playing fc cricket this season ''has not been completely ruled out ... it would be a significant surprise''.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 24 Jun 2014, 11:11 pm

Pleased to see that Sibley got runs today for 2nd XI. 78 off 213 balls.  The Middlesex bowling attack included Finn, Roland Jones and Rayner and no other Surrey batsmen made significant contributions.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 02 Jul 2014, 11:22 am

Ex Surrey player Lancefield dismissed for 1 in both innings opening for Glamorgan.  Looks like time may be running out on his attempt to establish a career with first class county.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Wed 02 Jul 2014, 12:28 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Ex Surrey player Lancefield dismissed for 1 in both innings opening for Glamorgan.  Looks like time may be running out on his attempt to establish a career with first class county.

I hadn't noticed that Corporal. Looks like he is finding it very hard but I'm glad he got another chance anyway and I suppose there's still just about time. I wonder if he'll retain his place against Surrey.

When he was at Surrey I always thought he would be more of a T20 player but I was probably heavily influenced in that view by seeing him score 130 odd in a Second XI T20 friendly, a game in which ironically he opened with his current team mate Stewart Walters, who also made a century. Needless to say Surrey won that one with Arun Harinath's brother Muhunthan taking four wickets when it was Surrey's turn to bowl. He looked a promising leg spinner but went into the business world as far as I know.

It doesn't look like Lancefield's current employers are going to do his former ones any favours today so Surrey may well fall even further behind Worcestershire.

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:03 pm

On top of the misery of defeat this evening, Surrey fans on Twitter sprang into life after Stuart Meaker posted a tweet indicating he is not happy with things at The Oval the moment, although he later deleted it.

There were also tweets from other sources saying Dernbach has had quite a few offers from other counties since being given permission to speak to them after turning down a new contract offer from Surrey. Rumour is that Notts is a possible destination for him.

Maybe it is time for Jade to look for a new start somewhere but I hope Meaker gets back in the first team soon and gets over any issues he may have.

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:10 pm

You can almost see the "Meaker takes 6-47 as he continues his resurgence at " insert team here" and has been called up to the England side" headline right now
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Sat 05 Jul 2014, 12:01 am

Voice of the Beehive wrote:On top of the misery of defeat this evening, Surrey fans on Twitter sprang into life after Stuart Meaker posted a tweet indicating he is not happy with things at The Oval the moment, although he later deleted it.

There were also tweets from other sources saying Dernbach has had quite a few offers from other counties since being given permission to speak to them after turning down a new contract offer from Surrey. Rumour is that Notts is a possible destination for him.

Maybe it is time for Jade to look for a new start somewhere but I hope Meaker gets back in the first team soon and gets over any issues he may have.

I'll drive him there myself!

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 05 Jul 2014, 11:53 am

A quick snippet I've picked up from twitter 

"@SurreyCricBlog: No Meaker in the squad for the Glam game. Worrying that we may have already seen the last of him. Would be an unmitigated disaster if so."
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 06 Jul 2014, 12:02 am

Will be bad news if Meaker's relationship with Surrey is breaking down.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 07 Jul 2014, 11:59 am

The Meaker situation is bizarre. I don't think a single Surrey fan doesn't think he should be in the side whenever available and yet in the last CC game he was ignored in favour of O'Brien and now he's being ignored completely. I can see him leaving now, it will be very bad news for us but Ford obviously has an issue with him. He needs to be playing and he'll be taking wickets in all formats for whoever signs him. Tremlett has been better this season but I'd much rather hold on to Meaker than him.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 07 Jul 2014, 5:12 pm

Moving away from Meaker for a minute, I sincerely hope we see lots of opportunities for Ansari and Burns in the one day competition this year, there is something slightly unsettling for me with the T20 side having so many players drafted in to push them out of the frame. I don't see what Robin Petersen offers that Ansari doesn't, for example. I understand the need to win, bring crowds in and cash in during the T20 campaign so I hope the younger guys get more of a chance in the less popular longer format later in the summer.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 10 Jul 2014, 8:17 pm

Meaker has played in 2nd XI match against Hants - though he didn't take a wicket. Kapil continues to bat high up the order (in this case No 3) where he's making reasonable scores (top scoring for Surrey with 68 in this match), but he's still not bowling....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 15 Jul 2014, 11:55 pm

Curran's injury to ankle means he is likely to be out for the rest of the season....  Sad 

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 17 Jul 2014, 10:03 pm

Sibley and Kapil both scored centuries as Surrey beat Kent in the 2nd XI match.   clap  Kapil still not bowling.... Harinath took a couple of wickets in the Kent 2nd innings.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Wed 23 Jul 2014, 10:09 pm

I spoke to Aneesh Kapil at Guildford today and asked him why he hadn't bowled for so long. He told me he has been carrying a side strain and he had been told not to bowl until it was completely healed so he could play in the fifty over competition. I didn't think to ask if that means he can play as soon as Sunday or later in the competition but we should see him at some point.

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 23 Jul 2014, 10:59 pm

Beehive - thanks for that update.  It's good in the circumstances that he been given opportunities to bat at the top of the order for 2nd XI - which he seems to have taken pretty well.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Fri 25 Jul 2014, 6:37 pm

Sky Sports are reporting that Dunn, Dernbach and Tremlett have signed new contracts, the first two for 2 years, Tremlett for one. Happy for Dunn, but a tad surprised about the other two. Obviously noone wanted Dernbach!

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Fri 25 Jul 2014, 7:03 pm

The rumour seems to be that Dernbach was offered a lesser contract than the one he had previously been on and initially turned it down. I don't know if that is true but I do know from a very reliable source that he was given permission to speak to other counties and had a number of them interested in him, Notts being one.

I haven't yet heard what set of circumstances led him to decide to sign after all but in my opinion I see him almost solely as a white ball bowler for Surrey from now on unless there is an injury crisis.

Any three from Meaker, Dunn, Tremlett and Curran to be the fast bowling attack in the Championship next year for me.

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 26 Jul 2014, 11:26 pm

Interesting sideline from Pietersen's newspaper piece criticising Cook in which he states Surrey have approached him about playing in some CC games at the end of the season when Dilshan has departed. Says that he has agreed to play a couple of games in September.

Depending on how he's batting it could be excellent news or fairly anticlimactic, much like his T20 performances so far.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Tue 29 Jul 2014, 10:26 am

Don't know if this is the right thread for this but, as there's a few names unfamiliar to me who are trialling in the Surrey Second Eleven for their current game against Essex, I've done a little research. In case there's anyone else in the same position who may be interested here are the details.

Will Vanderspar-22 year old batsman,plays for Brondesbury in the Middlesex league,played for Leeds/Bradford MCCU
Aaron West - 23 year old batsman, plays for Brentwood in the Essex league, came through the Essex academy
Shaun Piesley-19 year old wicket keeper, plays for Lordswood in Kent league, came through the Kent academy
Luke Beaven - 24 year old spin bowler. Ex Berkshire minor counties, played for Unicorns. Now at Reigate Priory CC

The Surrey website shows a player called Palash Soshi in the team. Cannot find a player called that so I am guessing this is actually a player called Palash Joshi, a 21 year old seamer who plays for Brondesbury in the Middlesex league and for MCC YC.

Incidentally Monty Panesar and Tymal Mills are playing in the Essex team.

If anyone knows any more about the triallists or can see I've made some mistakes in my research please feel free to post the information.

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 29 Jul 2014, 10:53 am

Voice of the Beehive wrote:Don't know if this is the right thread for this but, as there's a few names unfamiliar to me who are trialling in the Surrey Second Eleven for their current game against Essex, I've done a little research. In case there's anyone else in the same position who may be interested here are the details.

Will Vanderspar-22 year old batsman,plays for Brondesbury in the Middlesex league,played for Leeds/Bradford MCCU
Aaron West -   23 year old batsman, plays for Brentwood in the Essex league, came through the Essex academy
Shaun Piesley-19 year old wicket keeper, plays for Lordswood in Kent league, came through the Kent academy
Luke Beaven - 24 year old spin bowler. Ex Berkshire minor counties, played for Unicorns. Now at Reigate Priory CC

The Surrey website shows a player called Palash Soshi in the team. Cannot find a player called that so I am guessing this is actually a player called Palash Joshi, a 21 year old seamer who plays for Brondesbury in the Middlesex league and for MCC YC.

Incidentally Monty Panesar and Tymal Mills are playing in the Essex team.

If anyone knows any more about the triallists or can see I've made some mistakes in my research please feel free to post the information.

Vanderspar won the Young Wisden Schools Cricketer of the Year in 2011. The other people who have won this award include Bairstow, James Taylor, Buttler, Bell-Drummond and Kohler-Cadmore last year. The only other winner of the award not currently playing regular FC cricket is Tom Abell (2013 winner and still only 20 and still on the Somerset books), so he must have some pedigree without ever having seen him bat.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 08 Aug 2014, 4:58 pm

Sibley scored 99 in the second U19 test against SA.   clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 09 Aug 2014, 9:30 am

Surrey drawn against Birmingham (Warks) for our semi-final at T20 finals day.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Fri 15 Aug 2014, 12:40 am

The rumour being whispered in the shady corners of Guildford during the cricket week has proved to be true.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2014/content/current/story/770167.html

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:23 am

And Surrey have released Tom Jewell. Not enormously surprising; he never really got much of a chance in the first team, and with the arrival of Kapil his chances of getting into the team were further reduced. While I haven't looked at the stats, my impression was that Jewell was doing OK in the 2nd XI but not banging on the door for first team selection. I do hope he gets a chance elsewhere with another county if that is what he wants to do next.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Fri 29 Aug 2014, 1:55 pm

From a match report on the Devon CCC website -

(James) Burke, currently dual registered with Devon and Somerset but tipped for a close-season move to Surrey, was Devon’s anchorman for the best part of 38 overs.

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 02 Sep 2014, 8:27 pm

Surrey website confirms Burke signed, on a two year deal. On the face of it quite surprising that he's got a two year deal having barely played in Somerset's first team.

Century today for Kapil, playing against New Zealand A. His form suggests he may be a decent prospect with the bat. Bowling has obviously been held back by his injury.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 05 Sep 2014, 5:55 pm

Hi Corporal - yes, Burke does seem a rather odd signing. The guy has obviously got talent having played for England at various age levels. However, there has to be some doubt about his fitness and readyness. He's only played one f-c match and is 24 in January. I note the club website refers to the signing as being "subject to medical clearance". Hopefully, that won't prove significant.

Writing in today's Surrey Ad, the normally reliable Richard Spiller suggests that Kapil will get an opportunity against his former county in next week's CC match at Worcs. Spiller adds that the chances of Pietersen playing - as has recently been talked up, mainly by Pietersen - "has not been ruled out but is looking increasingly unlikely".

Also according to Spills, Tremlett may miss the Worcs fixture due to a shoulder injury which could require surgery in the close season.

Meanwhile, Roy has signed a new 3 year contract keeping him at the Oval until the end of the 2017 season. Far less good news for Winslade and Edwards who have both been released although with the sop of joining the MCC Young Cricketers Scheme if they wish. Not too surprising given the number of seamers ahead of them in the pecking order but always a shame when early promise fails to be fully realised.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 05 Sep 2014, 10:26 pm

Hi Guildford - must say I am a little bit surprised that both Edwards and Winslade have been released. Dernbach, Tremlett, Viscount, Meaker all have various issues over fitness and/or consistency. So they are obviously putting a lot of faith in Clive Dunn, and maybe also banking on Kapil's bowling. But I suppose there is a limit to the number of players who can be gainfully occupied in and around the first team.  

I fear that Winslade seemed quite badly affected by his appearance for the England (U?18s/19s), where I recalled that at a crucial stage in the match he dropped a catch on the boundary, turning it into a six.  His bowling then rather went to pot.  Or maybe I am oversimplifying....  

I was rather more surprised about Edwards's release, tho his several recent first team appearances wouldn't have improved either his or Surrey's confidence.  I would have thought he might find a berth elsewhere...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 05 Sep 2014, 11:13 pm

Hi Corporal - although he is also currently out injured, Curran is another who goes into the bowling mix and limits the potential places available.

I asked Alec Stewart at a members' forum circa June about the benefit and possibility of Edwards going out on loan. He was fully in favour and said he had looked into it but couldn't find any county willing to give him a go. Stewart added that Edwards' stats weren't that good and thought they were attracting too much emphasis and proving offputting. I fear that may prevent him from easily finding another county. He's definitely got pace and I'm sure he could hold his own at a lower Division 2 county (Derbys, Leics, Gloucs) but he's probably then up against the usual problem of budgets.

I don't really know about Winslade but he never seemed close to the first eleven. For whatever reason, he doesn't seem to have kicked on this season. A shame but perhaps preferable to make a decision now than keep him hanging around the edges for several years a la Jewell.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 05 Sep 2014, 11:30 pm

Curran - of course. Memory so quickly fails.   Sad  He's highly promising, and given fitness and form he may well be first team regular in several of the competitions.  Agree that with him added into the mixture it would probably be difficult to retain the other two.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 07 Sep 2014, 6:34 pm

is gary wilson away with ireland this week?

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Sun 07 Sep 2014, 8:25 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:is gary wilson away with ireland this week?

Not this time. The only English based players in the Ireland squad for this week's matches are Dockrell, McCarter and Balbirnie although Kevin O'Brien is captaining the side.

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 07 Sep 2014, 11:59 pm

cheers voice thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 14 Sep 2014, 8:48 pm

The Club and Supporters' Club are holding their joint Awards Night at the Oval after close of play this Tuesday. Hope the team can put on a good performance to help the mood.

The Supporters' Club awards comprise -
* Player of Season
* Most Improved Player
* Young Player
* Moment of Season.

I'll try to confirm all results late on Tuesday. I do actually know them already for the Supporters' Club but mustn't let the cats out of the bag here. Nothing to do with integrity - trying to sell them to an international betting syndicate! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 16 Sep 2014, 11:42 pm

Pretty close to being the Jason Roy Show at the Awards Night.

He picked up awards for the Supporters' Club Player of the Year, Kia Most Improved Player, Kia Batsman of Year and, most prized of all, Players' Player of Year (as voted for by all members of the professional playing staff in a secret ballot).

Other award winners:
Supporters' Club Most Improved Player -Zafar Ansari.
Supporters' Club Young Player - Matthew Dunn.
Supporters' Club Sylvester Clarke Large Rum Moment - Arun Harinath's two wickets in five balls at Colwyn Bay to turn a seemingly inevitable draw into victory. A hugely popular winner from the applause - just a shame Arun was too ill to attend. Pemberton Greenish Academy Player of Year - Sam Curran.
Kia Young Player (if I remember correctly) - Zafar Ansari.
Kia Bowler of Year - Gareth Batty.
Graham Kersey Team Man of Year (voted for by the entire Oval staff) - admin director Steve Howes (for the second year running and narrowly pipping Gary Wilson and physio Alex Tysoe).

After the presentations, the Chairman Richard Thompson thanked Graham Ford and the coaching staff for the improvements over the year. The Chairman emphasised his comment at the AGM that he wanted to see a young team get better rather than an old team go into decline. Whilst promotion is clearly the aim, it is equally important that we hold our own once that is achieved.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 17 Sep 2014, 11:34 am

Whoops! As shown above, I wasn't too sure about the Kia Young Player award and got it wrong. It actually went to Matt Dunn and not Zafar Ansari.

There's a tribute cum apology on the club website from Chairman Richard Thompson to captain Gary Wilson for overlooking him in his closing speech last night. Bit odd. Thompson's comments mainly followed on from who had won what awards (including the predictable joke about Jason Roy needing extra shelves to keep his trophies). As Wilson didn't win an award, the lack of reference to him didn't stand out at the time for me. There again, the contribution of Graham Ford (another who didn't win an award) was highly praised. Possibly there are some sensitivities around, particularly following the signing of Ben Foakes which leaves a question mark over Wilson's place in the team and thus his captaincy.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 17 Sep 2014, 1:10 pm

Thanks for the above guildford! They sound a precious lot don't they, as demonstrated this season! I do like the idea of the Sylvester Clarke large rum moment!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 17 Sep 2014, 1:50 pm

Goochie - yes, it's lovely to remember Sylvester and honour a current player in that way. As a member of the Supporters' Club, I actually presented that award last night - gutted that Arun was too sick to attend!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 17 Sep 2014, 2:18 pm

Ha - that's brilliant guildford!
I remember watching 'Theophilus' bowl in about '81, sitting side on I couldn't follow the ball, so fast he bowled! He frightened me from about 90 yards away - god knows what it was like from 22!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Thu 18 Sep 2014, 10:56 am

Kumar Sangakkara is rumoured to be Surrey's overseas player and probable captain next season.

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 18 Sep 2014, 4:36 pm

I've also heard we're interested in Adam Riley.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 24 Sep 2014, 5:02 pm

Roy, Ansari and Dunn named in England's Performance Squads for the winter. Deserved selections for each although Dunn is something of a surprise - he's come on tremendously this year.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 27 Sep 2014, 11:58 pm

Just catching up - thanks for the report back Guildford. I was a bit surprised by Dunn's selection too.  

At the end of the season it's nice to see that your longstanding faith that Roy king would make it as an essential member of Surrey side and pushing for international honours has been justified!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 30 Sep 2014, 11:13 pm

Signing of Balcombe means there is quite a collection of faster bowlers on the books: Dunn, Meaker, Dernbach, Tremlett, Viscount, Curran, Balcombe. Maybe the thinking is that Kapil will concentrate on his batting.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 01 Oct 2014, 7:09 pm

Corporal - just one observation. Unless you really weaken the batting and lengthen the tail, you can normally only play three of those faster bowlers. It would be a real bonus if Kapil batted around 7 or 8 and could fulfil the role of a fourth seamer. I harboured hopes for a while of Jewell shining (sorry!) in that sort of dual role but, alas for him and us, it was not to be.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 12 Oct 2014, 12:33 pm

Alec Stewart in the Sunday papers discussing the (slim) chances of Pietersen returning to Surrey.

Batting just once a week, and not for very long, was bad for team and player - he says - before suggesting Pietersen could only return if he was available for more cricket.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 06 Nov 2014, 3:00 am

George Edwards has signed a two year contract with Lancashire.

Pleased for Edwards to have been given another opportunity but still wish he had been kept on at the Oval and given further chances. He's a bowler I liked the look of with a fair bit of pace and action that should lend itself to accuracy given experience.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 06 Nov 2014, 1:47 pm

Carlos - thanks for that news about Edwards. I'm also pleased and share your thoughts.

By giving Edwards a contract for two years (when he probably would have grabbed at one year having been released by Surrey), it looks like Ashley Giles and Lancs have definite plans for him rather than it just being a speculative punt.

Lancs might well have got themselves a good signing. There's always a risk with a young pace bowler but I think Edwards is a better bet than Mills at Sussex. Edwards definitely has speed and talent - he was on the England Performance Programme in 2013. His two year deal now should boost his confidence which in turn will hopefully lead to more consistency and opportunity.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next