The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Did The Spanish Tennis Federation "Kick It's Players In The Teeth"?

+5
Matchpoint
kingraf
JuliusHMarx
bogbrush
hawkeye
9 posters

Go down

Why Did The Spanish Tennis Federation "Kick It's Players In The Teeth"? Empty Why Did The Spanish Tennis Federation "Kick It's Players In The Teeth"?

Post by hawkeye Sun 23 Nov 2014, 10:51 am

A Davis Cup Captain has to know how to encourage and motivate a player when they are down 1-6, 4-6 in a Davis Cup final of a rubber they were expected to win. They have to make a decision about whether this player is suitable to play a critical doubles match the next day after a devastating loss and then have the right inspirational words to help them if they make that choice. A good relationship with the players on the team is essential for this role and experience of similar situations would be extremely useful. So why did the Spanish Tennis Federation appoint a Davis Cup captain without these qualifications?

Because the newly appointed captain is female has meant that any criticism can be deflected as sexism. The Spanish Tennis Federation can be painted as progressive and the appointment a feminist one. Maybe this was deliberate? The new captain Gala Leon had this to say “I’m not going to ask for forgiveness for being a woman”. In this country Andy Murray's congratulatory tweet “Congrats to Gala León Garcia for becoming first female Spanish Davis Cup captain today... hopefully first of many,” was widely reported and this set the tone of much media coverage. ie ignorance about the appointment and turning it into a feminist/ sexist issue. The media as did Murray wanted to be politically correct and this allowed the real issue to be ignored. The Spanish players themselves were as to be expected incredulous when this ridiculous appointment was announced and made perhaps hasty and ill thought out comments about how unsuitable Leon was as a Captain. It was as if they fell into the politically correct trap set by their own federation.

The big question has been obscured. Why did the Spanish Tennis Federation (to put it bluntly) kick it's own players in the teeth by appointing a Captain without consulting their players? The Spanish Davis Cup team has been one of the most successful in recent years and has many retired players with a wealth of experience and qualifications that would make them suitable for this role. Why did the Spanish Federation (to put it bluntly) kick them in the teeth by appointing someone less qualified?

Nadal (who has still never met Leon) had this to say “It seems strange to me, as Davis Cup captain, that instead of seeking union and harmony between players, captains and the federation, she has incited and fed a debate that is totally false and absurd,” Nadal said.

Nadal said the federation president, Jose Escanuela, was within his “right” to appoint León captain, but “it seems unfair to me that they have wanted to shift the issue to a place that is evidently a clear issue of populism.”

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/nov/18/rafael-nadal-spain-female-davis-cup-captain

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/22/gala-leon-garcia-becomes-spain-first-female-davis-cup-captain-tennis

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Why Did The Spanish Tennis Federation "Kick It's Players In The Teeth"? Empty Re: Why Did The Spanish Tennis Federation "Kick It's Players In The Teeth"?

Post by bogbrush Sun 23 Nov 2014, 11:03 am

I feel an equal prize money debate will be inevitable. Smile

Seriously, I'm staggeringly bored with feminists and feminism and all those captured within the web of false logic and bad decisions, to the point where I just have to laugh at them now or it begins to hurt.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Why Did The Spanish Tennis Federation "Kick It's Players In The Teeth"? Empty Re: Why Did The Spanish Tennis Federation "Kick It's Players In The Teeth"?

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 23 Nov 2014, 11:10 am

It does seem an odd appointment, but I'm not privy to the ins and outs of Spanish tennis. For all we know she may been third or fourth on the list but the others turned it down. JCF is now caddying for Garcia instead.

It also seems odd that Nadal, instead of seeking union and harmony between players, captains and the federation, has publicly criticised his new DC captain, adding needless fuel to the fire.

I think Andy Murray, Billie Jean King and Jose Escanuela may have collaborated on this appointment as part of their feminist agenda.

Edit - http://zeenews.india.com/sports/tennis/spanish-federation-made-mess-of-gala-leon-appointment-says-andy-murray_1490921.html - Murray & Ferrer in agreement. Seems the Federation were a bit upset at the players before the appointment and wanted to make a statement as to who was in charge. More to do with politics than feminism it would seem.

Last edited by JuliusHMarx on Sun 23 Nov 2014, 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 23 Nov 2014, 11:13 am

Should have Hired Toni.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Matchpoint Sun 23 Nov 2014, 11:29 am

What's the nature of this "false and absurd" debate that nadal alleged Leon to have started amongst the Spanish players?

Matchpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 23 Nov 2014, 2:14 pm

The debate to the best of my knowledge, is that Leon stated in effect that people are criticising her purely because of her anatomical predisposition. Nadal feels differently
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 23 Nov 2014, 2:42 pm

So Nadal is sexist or Leon has beauty issues?
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 23 Nov 2014, 2:59 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

It also seems odd that Nadal, instead of seeking union and harmony between players, captains and the federation, has publicly criticised his new DC captain, adding needless fuel to the fire.

Maybe you think he should have kept quiet about being kicked in the teeth? I mean what's it got to do with him who the Spanish Tennis Federation sees fit to give that most important seat in Davis Cup ties to. Why should they be expected to care what their number one player thinks?

JuliusHMarx wrote:

I think Andy Murray, Billie Jean King and Jose Escanuela may have collaborated on this appointment as part of their feminist agenda.

Murray was quick to jump with his ignorant view that the appointment had anything to do with a feminist agenda. It is obvious that it has nothing whatsoever to do with feminism. Whatever the reasoning the Spanish Tennis Federation wanted to (putting it bluntly) "kick their players in the teeth" and Leon is just being used as part of that agenda. As I see it this is about as far away from a "feminist" appointment that you can get. The whole thing stinks. My guess is that the great Billie Jean would say it stinks too (or words to that effect).

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 23 Nov 2014, 3:04 pm

Jahu wrote:So Nadal is sexist or Leon has beauty issues?

Nadal has been "kicked in the teeth" and Leon is just being used as a scape goat. It's ridiculous! But the question is why are the Spanish Tennis Federation acting in this way?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 23 Nov 2014, 3:25 pm

Have a look a my link HE - it seems the Federation were 'kicking back' having been 'kicked' by the players. Clearly there are internal politics involved - I'm glad you agree with me that this was nothing to do with feminism.

Your interpretation of Murray's comments seems to be clouded by your bias against Murray, but that it to be expected.

If Nadal wanted to avoid further damage to the harmony of the Spanish DC camp, he should not have aired his views in public imho. How would doing so help? Seems like part of a power struggle to me.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 23 Nov 2014, 3:40 pm

LF: I hadn't thought of that, I feel JCF would make a good captain. Seems level-headed and lots of experience at the top level. It does seem strange that no former pros or coaches are involved with the setup.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 23 Nov 2014, 3:43 pm

I reckon I'd make a stunning Spanish Davis Cup captain.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 23 Nov 2014, 4:05 pm

Julius. This must be a first. But I would say that it's you agreeing with me about this issue not being about feminism rather than the other way round since this is my article king

Murray tweeted “Congrats to Gala León Garcia for becoming first female Spanish Davis Cup captain today... hopefully first of many,”. How can that be interpreted as anything but celebrating the appointment because Leon is female Erm That is certainly how it was interpreted by the media and that does represent how the story was covered. Giving the benefit of the doubt to both Murray and most of the media this was because of ignorance rather than a deliberate attempt to be mischievous and back the Spanish Tennis Federation for (putting it bluntly) kicking their players in the teeth.

My view is that if you are "kicked in the teeth" it's better to say something especially if after getting kicked the kicker starts calling you names too then doing a bit more kicking... Also I don't think Nadal being quiet will help him if he is in dire need of encouragement and a friendly face next time he is a set and a brake down in a Davis Cup final being harassed by a hostile crowd who are desperate for his blood and the only person sitting on his bench is a person put there to (figuratively) "kick him in the teeth".

But the big question isn't if the players were "kicked in the teeth" because it's obvious they were. The question is why did the Spanish Tennis Federation see fit to kick them? Some people have suggested vaguely "politics" but what would be the rational behind it?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 23 Nov 2014, 4:07 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:I reckon I'd make a stunning Spanish Davis Cup captain.

If the players give you the nod then you would already be one up on Leon OK

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 23 Nov 2014, 4:14 pm

Did you read my link HE? It seems that the Federation gave Moya the captaincy at the request of the players, only for the players to not give Moya (and the team/Federation) the required support in return. So the Federation probably said "OK this time we'll do it our way". Power struggle/politics/t1t-for-tat, call it what you will, no-one comes out of it with a great deal of credit.

Are you seriously questioning whether Gala will refuse to help Nadal in a difficult DC situation? Or do you think she is simply incapable of doing so?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 23 Nov 2014, 4:20 pm

hawkeye wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:I reckon I'd make a stunning Spanish Davis Cup captain.

If the players give you the nod then you would already be one up on Leon OK
Well I don't have any support from the Spanish players, but looking at the way things work in the Spanish tennis Federation, that doesn't really matter.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 23 Nov 2014, 4:23 pm

^ Laugh IMBL yes you are probably correct. Maybe if you could get a few of them to suggest your not suitable you will have a better chance.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 23 Nov 2014, 4:57 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Did you read my link HE? It seems that the Federation gave Moya the captaincy at the request of the players, only for the players to not give Moya (and the team/Federation) the required support in return. So the Federation probably said "OK this time we'll do it our way". Power struggle/politics/t1t-for-tat, call it what you will, no-one comes out of it with a great deal of credit.

Davis Cup captains have resigned and players have missed ties many times before but this is the first time a tennis federation have dealt with it my making a farcical Davis Cup Captains appointment. The Spanish Tennis Federation are not in the position to win the Davis Cup without their players and by kicking their players in the teeth they are the ones that come out of it without much credit. In fact they come out of it looking (to put it bluntly) like idiots. Well they would if everyone hadn't been taken in by their feminist "“I’m not going to ask for forgiveness for being a woman” malarkey.

JuliusHMarx wrote:

Are you seriously questioning whether Gala will refuse to help Nadal in a difficult DC situation? Or do you think she is simply incapable of doing so?

Ha ha! Nice try. You are using the Spanish Tennis Federation's catch a sexist trap. Put a woman in an untenable position and she will be beyond criticism. Anyone who does so is a sexist pig.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 23 Nov 2014, 5:21 pm

Talking of women in sport, I came across this excellent sport on Channel 419 - "Extreme Sports" today.

Equal prize money indeed!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfkKjATCu4E
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 23 Nov 2014, 5:38 pm

hawkeye wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Are you seriously questioning whether Gala will refuse to help Nadal in a difficult DC situation? Or do you think she is simply incapable of doing so?

Ha ha! Nice try. You are using the Spanish Tennis Federation's catch a sexist trap. Put a woman in an untenable position and she will be beyond criticism. Anyone who does so is a sexist pig.

I don't understand what you're talking about here. You wrote "...the only person sitting on his bench is a person put there to (figuratively) "kick him in the teeth".
The inference is that you feel Rafa would not be able to turn to her for assistance. I'm asking you why not? It's nothing to do with her being a woman or not, but why would she not be able to help Rafa in that situation, do you feel? Or maybe you think Rafa would view her as 'the enemy' so to speak, and would not want to ask?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 23 Nov 2014, 5:39 pm

I genuinely could do a great job out there, I'd have great mind games for the opponents up my sleeve.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 23 Nov 2014, 5:58 pm

hawkeye wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

Wow.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 23 Nov 2014, 6:05 pm

Not only do I have great mind games up my sleeve, I also have superb tactical pedigree. My key advice before Nadal's match against Federer in the Davis Cup Final decider would make the difference I feel.

Anyway, what's going on here.

hawkeye wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Are you seriously questioning whether Gala will refuse to help Nadal in a difficult DC situation? Or do you think she is simply incapable of doing so?

HE, I don't think Julius is saying gender or sexism is the issue, it clearly isn't, the issue is politics and the impact that could have.
If anyone was wrongly accusing Nadal of not being enough of a feminist or some other unthinkable allegation I would have sprung to poor Rafa's defence; the fact I haven't is a key indicator that this is not what Julius is saying.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 23 Nov 2014, 6:57 pm

HE suffering from hormonal attack tonight? Laugh

Asks a question and then shoots everyone for answering.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Matchpoint Sun 23 Nov 2014, 7:04 pm

kingraf wrote:The debate to the best of my knowledge, is that Leon stated in effect that people are criticising her purely because of her anatomical predisposition. Nadal feels differently
Sorry, I'm still not following. The only thing clear to me from the 2 links in the OP is that Toni prefers someone with a stronger background to men's tennis. Did you finish your last sentence?  What's nadal's problem? Why is he so upset with Leon? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember him ever making such a big issue with anyone in such a bold manner. I mean, kinda out of character.

Matchpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 23 Nov 2014, 7:32 pm

Nadal does not feel the criticism is purely sexist. Although I suppose at its logical end, it does take a sexist endpoint. León couldnt play ATP, and it's no fault of hers. But, still, the players have been accustomed to being coached by a former player. Don't think there is a "guilty" party, as much as there is a clash of philosophy
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Sun 23 Nov 2014, 7:41 pm

[quote="hawkeye"]
JuliusHMarx wrote:
Murray was quick to jump with his ignorant view that the appointment had anything to do with a feminist agenda. It is obvious that it has nothing whatsoever to do with feminism. Whatever the reasoning the Spanish Tennis Federation wanted to (putting it bluntly) "kick their players in the teeth" and Leon is just being used as part of that agenda. As I see it this is about as far away from a "feminist" appointment that you can get. The whole thing stinks. My guess is that the great Billie Jean would say it stinks too (or words to that effect).

So you agree with Murray's "ignorant" opinion ?

Why can she not be the best there is to do the job, we had Lloyd for a few years, even though opinion was split as to how good he was at the job. Do the Spanish team need any captaincy with such big ego's on the line ?

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down