The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Try of the Year 2014 Competitions

+5
Pal Joey
Notch
Biltong
SecretFly
George Carlin
9 posters

Go down

Try of the Year 2014 Competitions Empty Try of the Year 2014 Competitions

Post by George Carlin Wed 26 Nov 2014, 5:43 pm

Two of them to be precise:

1. Steinlager Sky Fans Try of the Year (Super Rugby-based):

2. IRB Try of the Year (from tests):

Just great footage.

Enjoy.

Last edited by George Carlin on Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Try of the Year 2014 Competitions Empty Re: Try of the Year 2014 Competitions

Post by SecretFly Wed 26 Nov 2014, 5:57 pm

Try 5 for me. Savea v England. Not trippy but solid and serious.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 26 Nov 2014, 6:05 pm

Geez they are all good tries, anyone of them are worthy winners
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 26 Nov 2014, 6:30 pm

Here I thought Ireland last played the All Blacks in 2013, not 2014!

They just wanted to rub some salt in that wound obviously Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 26 Nov 2014, 7:08 pm

Notch wrote:Here I thought Ireland last played the All Blacks in 2013, not 2014!

They just wanted to rub some salt in that wound obviously Smile

Well bloody spotted Notch.  I must admit that little detail passed me by.

It'd be fun if it won.  Top try of 2014 - so good that the move started in 2013

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 26 Nov 2014, 8:39 pm

Gliding through... Honey Hireme. That was smooth!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:42 pm

Jonny May

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:50 pm

Well that is a bit obvious mate, pick one not from England Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Wed 26 Nov 2014, 10:17 pm

Jonny May
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 26 Nov 2014, 11:22 pm

Any of the NZ ones.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 27 Nov 2014, 12:18 am

Loved the Johnny May one. Not often you can run from a set piece play straight through the AB's from 60 odd out without a hand being laid on you, and not from a chip, offload, intercept etc. Just burn straight through... poetry...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 27 Nov 2014, 12:51 am

Taylorman wrote:Loved the Johnny May one. Not often you can run from a set piece play straight through the AB's from 60 odd out without a hand being laid on you, and not from a chip, offload, intercept etc. Just burn straight through... poetry...

Reminds me a bit of the try Cedric Heymans scored against the All Blacks, think that won try of the year.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 27 Nov 2014, 1:31 am

I think my personal favourite of the IRB 5 might be Magali Harveys. Just think it's the perfect team try out of nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7em0YJYBk8

1) All eight forwards are working exceptionally hard to win that ball against the head, it's great work targeting the French tight head and getting the shoulder up for the 9 to attack, and all off a French put-in. Thats my favourite part of this try by a country mile. It's clearly a weakness they've identified, the whole pack is working together to exploit it and it pays off.
2) When it comes out to the scrum-half, I really like that they play heads-up attacking rugby from there. It's a very tight game, it's a World Cup semi-final and they are under their own posts. But the Canadian halfbacks have the awareness to see the opportunity, the skills to execute it and the courage to go for it.
3) From the point where it gets to 9 it's all really simple rugby, draw your woman and pass, basic stuff really. But it's executed damn near perfectly. The halfbacks between them manage to suck in half the French back line, won are all over the shop trying to recover their defensive structure.
They just hold onto that ball for long enough that the French defenders are sucked in and then move it on. Two quick passes and they basically have created a three on one out wide. The centre draws the last defender then picks the right option with the cut-out pass to release Harvey. I think its really impressive that every back who touches the ball times their pass to perfection. So simple but they create such space for the woman outside them with that timing.
4) From the point Harvey gets it in her hands it's an outstanding finish, burns one defender on the outside, steps the cover defender coming across, and outpaces the rest to the line.

I'm not sure if it deserves IRB try of the year because there are big problems with the way France defended that try. Firstly, the French scrummaging was diabolical. Secondly, as soon as the turnover is made the French are defending as individuals not a team. So as much praise as I have for Canada, you have to say France were all over the place.

But I'm delighted to see it nominated because it's just real heads-up adventurous rugby in a crunch game, executed perfectly with a cool head. Almost everyone in the team contributes to manufacturing that space for the winger and once she's away its a spectacular finish... it's both a great team try and a great solo try. In the context of any game it's a good try. In the context of a World Cup semi-final its excellent.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 27 Nov 2014, 6:30 am

Biltong wrote:Well that is a bit obvious mate, pick one not from England Wink

I was going to! And then I thought this may be Englands only chance of ever getting into this comp on merit, so i'm bloody well going with Jonny May!! king

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 27 Nov 2014, 6:32 am

Notch wrote:I think my personal favourite of the IRB 5 might be Magali Harveys. Just think it's the perfect team try out of nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7em0YJYBk8

1) All eight forwards are working exceptionally hard to win that ball against the head, it's great work targeting the French tight head and getting the shoulder up for the 9 to attack, and all off a French put-in. Thats my favourite part of this try by a country mile. It's clearly a weakness they've identified, the whole pack is working together to exploit it and it pays off.
2) When it comes out to the scrum-half, I really like that they play heads-up attacking rugby from there. It's a very tight game, it's a World Cup semi-final and they are under their own posts. But the Canadian halfbacks have the awareness to see the opportunity, the skills to execute it and the courage to go for it.
3) From the point where it gets to 9 it's all really simple rugby, draw your woman and pass, basic stuff really. But it's executed damn near perfectly. The halfbacks between them manage to suck in half the French back line, won are all over the shop trying to recover their defensive structure.
They just hold onto that ball for long enough that the French defenders are sucked in and then move it on. Two quick passes and they basically have created a three on one out wide. The centre draws the last defender then picks the right option with the cut-out pass to release Harvey. I think its really impressive that every back who touches the ball times their pass to perfection. So simple but they create such space for the woman outside them with that timing.
4) From the point Harvey gets it in her hands it's an outstanding finish, burns one defender on the outside, steps the cover defender coming across, and outpaces the rest to the line.

I'm not sure if it deserves IRB try of the year because there are big problems with the way France defended that try. Firstly, the French scrummaging was diabolical. Secondly, as soon as the turnover is made the French are defending as individuals not a team. So as much praise as I have for Canada, you have to say France were all over the place.

But I'm delighted to see it nominated because it's just real heads-up adventurous rugby in a crunch game, executed perfectly with a cool head. Almost everyone in the team contributes to manufacturing that space for the winger and once she's away its a spectacular finish... it's both a great team try and a great solo try. In the context of any game it's a good try. In the context of a World Cup semi-final its excellent.

Jonny May scored against the AB's.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 27 Nov 2014, 6:49 am

yappysnap wrote:

I was going to! And then I thought this may be Englands only chance of ever getting into this comp on merit, so i'm bloody well going with Jonny May!! king

Try of the Year 2014 Competitions Smiley-laughing001

It's just a noddy badge mate.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Thu 27 Nov 2014, 7:16 am

Roberts all the way.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 27 Nov 2014, 7:48 am

Biltong wrote:
yappysnap wrote:

Try of the Year 2014 Competitions Smiley-laughing001

It's just a noddy badge mate.

I always thought it was odd how they're created when there are still games to played as well... not very well thought out really.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Thu 27 Nov 2014, 7:51 am

Yes it's a strange thing, outside the IRB calender but still deemed official test matches!
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 27 Nov 2014, 7:55 am

I thought the list was compiled after the first AI? I know it was definitely up and about last week so there was at least one round of games to go.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down