The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exclusive - 'Anthony Joshua is already on a different level to Lennox Lewis'

+7
TRUSSMAN66
88Chris05
monty junior
KingMonkey
hampo17
Coxy001
Strongback
11 posters

Go down

Exclusive - 'Anthony Joshua is already on a different level to Lennox Lewis'  Empty Exclusive - 'Anthony Joshua is already on a different level to Lennox Lewis'

Post by Strongback Tue 02 Dec 2014, 1:00 pm

Barry Hearn has never seen a fighter like Anthony Joshua in his 40-year boxing career, telling talkSPORT the British heavyweight is already on a different level to the legendary Lennox Lewis.

Joshua, gold medalist at the 2012 Olympics, has made an impressive start to his professional career with ten straight knockout victories and, according to Hearn, world domination is not far away.

The 25-year-old is part of Hearn’s Matchroom stable, headed by his son Eddie, and the veteran boxing promoter claims his talent surpasses that of even Lewis, the former undisputed heavyweight champion of the world.

Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, he said. “I have never in my life seen anything like Anthony Joshua.

“I don’t think I have ever been so excited. Eddie runs the boxing now so it is not me talking to you as a promoter, I’m talking to you as a boxing fan.

“I don’t want to be disrespectful because Lewis was a great, great champion but this boy is on a different level after ten fights.

“I have never seen a heavyweight with a jab as a good as Larry Holmes, who I always thought had the best left jab in the business, with a right hand that is as concussive as Earnie Shavers, and most importantly I have never seen hand speed [like it].

“Tony Blair should be so happy today because, without getting political, we have finally found a weapon of mass destruction!"

Tyson Fury, the British and European heavyweight title holder after his victory over Dereck Chisora at the weekend, has raised the prospect of a domestic dust-up with Joshua.

Hearn has suggested the bout could be on should Joshua come through his next test against Kevin Johnson in January, but he has warned Fury there’s no chance of him beating his younger British rival.

He added: “Whenever Anthony hits you, you’re gone. Say goodnight and don’t leave the milk bottles on the step because you are going to be having a lie-in.”

Play our FREE Premier League Predictor game and you could WIN £1million!

Read more at http://talksport.com/boxing/exclusive-anthony-joshua-already-different-level-lennox-lewis-claims-veteran-promoter#8sqaOwSDTzmKR6Tu.99

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Exclusive - 'Anthony Joshua is already on a different level to Lennox Lewis'  Empty Re: Exclusive - 'Anthony Joshua is already on a different level to Lennox Lewis'

Post by Coxy001 Tue 02 Dec 2014, 1:10 pm

To be honest the man (when will he get knighted already!?) has a very valid point. If he gets whacked by something big, smiles and then comes back unleashing fury then I don't really see a chink in his armour. Has scary power, speed, movement and is a rather nice chap to boot!

This kid is gonna be bigger than Tyson when he starts dismantling the gatekeepers and then gets to Wlad. Hopefully via Fury as that would the most one sided 60 seconds of a fight you could possibly wish to see, never before has one guy gone down 6 times in sixty seconds.

All about the Joshua express train... woo woo, woo woo

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Exclusive - 'Anthony Joshua is already on a different level to Lennox Lewis'  Empty Re: Exclusive - 'Anthony Joshua is already on a different level to Lennox Lewis'

Post by hampo17 Tue 02 Dec 2014, 1:12 pm

Careful Kirk, agreeing with anything a member of the Hearn family says is considered mutiny by Strongback, if Eddie Hearn said the sky was blue strongy would argue and say it was purple.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 02 Dec 2014, 1:20 pm

"IF" Joshua has a chin I'd like to see what attributes he feels Joshua falls down on and Hearn is ergo, wrong.

Not sure why an Irishman would begrudge a good looking, young, rich talented English businessman for.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 02 Dec 2014, 1:21 pm

Definitely not a promoter though.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 02 Dec 2014, 1:24 pm

Lost me what you're referring to Monkey.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 02 Dec 2014, 1:24 pm

Captain Kirk wrote: Has scary power, speed, movement and is a rather nice chap to boot!

I can only assume you're on the Matchroom payroll or you're a troll.

Boris Karloff in The Mummy has better movement than Joshua.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 02 Dec 2014, 1:30 pm

[quote="Captain Kirk"] Has scary power, speed, movement and is a rather nice chap to boot!

[/quote]

[quote="Strongback"]I can only assume you're on the Matchroom payroll or you're a troll.

Boris Karloff in The Mummy has better movement than Joshua.[/quote]

I can only assume you took it hard from behind from both father and son Hearn and neither called you back.

Joshua, at respective points in his career, compared to Fury is setting tongues wagging a damn load more than Tyson "I robbed fat John Mac" Fury was after 10 fights. Fail to get your bitterness, unless of course it's the usual "us vs. them" which stems from jealousy.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 02 Dec 2014, 1:34 pm

Captain Kirk wrote:
Captain Kirk wrote: Has scary power, speed, movement and is a rather nice chap to boot!

Strongback wrote:I can only assume you're on the Matchroom payroll or you're a troll.

Boris Karloff in The Mummy has better movement than Joshua.

I can only assume you took it hard from behind from both father and son Hearn and neither called you back.

Joshua, at respective points in his career, compared to Fury is setting tongues wagging a damn load more than Tyson "I robbed fat John Mac" Fury was after 10 fights. Fail to get your bitterness, unless of course it's the usual "us vs. them" which stems from jealousy.

I'm not bitter I just pointed out that Joshua's movement is up there with Frank Bruno's, i.e. static, as many observers have noted.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 02 Dec 2014, 1:39 pm

I'm not bitter...

"I can only assume you're on the Matchroom payroll or you're a troll."

Just because I had the temerity to say how highly I rate Joshua.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 02 Dec 2014, 1:43 pm

Kirk, don't be paranoid mate, I was referring to Barry Hearn who loves to remind us that he's definitely not a promoter, in this case whilst live on air promoting a fighter.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Tue 02 Dec 2014, 1:46 pm

Hilarious, so beating fat shot Sprott who has just been KO'd in 1 by jouryneman Meehan who is in his mid 40s makes him "on a different level to Lennox Lewis". 

We had the ridiculous Haye hype with the title literally being given to him by any mug British pundit, you had Barry McGuigan then saying Wlad would avoid David Price now that clown Fury beats a guy he beat 3 years ago and has since been knocked down, out, hurt and beaten by numerous opponents and it's seen as some sort of masterclass. Wish some of these guys would show some objectivity until they at least get a title fight as opposed to Knocking out Sam Sexton or Michael Sprott who are no more than club fighters.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 02 Dec 2014, 1:58 pm

Captain Kirk wrote:I'm not bitter...

"I can only assume you're on the Matchroom payroll or you're a troll."

Just because I had the temerity to say how highly I rate Joshua.

No, by judging your recent behaviour since you started posting under the Captain Kirk username.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 02 Dec 2014, 2:03 pm

Have made no secret of the fact that the superlatives getting chucked around for Joshua turn my stomach. Right now he's nothing different to what David Price was a couple of years back. He might have taken Olympic gold compared to Price's bronze, but he did so on the back of a couple of dubious verdicts in London. His stoppage loss to Nistor the year before was similar in nature to Price's against Camarelle - now I'm not saying that amateur stoppage losses mean a great deal in the pro ranks, but my question is, why did some use it as a way of caution against getting too excited over Price, even when he was knocking everyone out (and to be fair, you could argue in the end that those who did so were justified when he lost twice to Thompson), and yet I've not heard it so much as whispered against Joshua?

What Joshua's been doing for a year, Wilder has been doing for five, yet he's considered almost a joke figure on here whereas there are Brits actually talking up Joshua's chances against Wladimir if they fought now!

Also not sure why Sky are trying to push this 'People's Champion' image. Sure, he's a smart-looking lad with a winning smile, but his personality seems dull and contrived to me. Not sure why we're meant to believe these stories about how his wooden personality apparently leaves 'em all amazed and enchanted, to be honest!

I hope Joshua succeeds and can bring a world title back to Britain, and he's clearly got plenty of potential, but this cheerleading campaign surrounding him is completely unjustified so far, and really doing my head in.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 02 Dec 2014, 2:19 pm

Chris, I can see the Hearn's and Sky actually turning people against Joshua due to the hyperbole being thrown about at the moment.

You mention the Olympics and Savon was probably the last decent talent AJ has fought and he lost that fight in all respects except on the scorecards. It was a bit of a schooling at times and Joshua looked very ordinary when he had a good jab peppering his face.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Dec 2014, 2:22 pm

(angry flaming torch and pitchfork wielding mob makes it's way to Chris's house)

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 02 Dec 2014, 2:24 pm

Not sure about that, Strongy, as most people seem happy with it all apart from miserable old me! At the end of the day, Sky and Matchroom are just doing their job I suppose, but even allowing for that and the fickle, over-the-top world of boxing, I think they're pushing the boundaries to nigh-on comical levels with Joshua.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 02 Dec 2014, 2:32 pm

Joshua is like Bruno but quicker...and Bruno did give Lewis a boxing lesson before getting knackered..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 02 Dec 2014, 2:33 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Not sure about that, Strongy, as most people seem happy with it all apart from miserable old me! At the end of the day, Sky and Matchroom are just doing their job I suppose, but even allowing for that and the fickle, over-the-top world of boxing, I think they're pushing the boundaries to nigh-on comical levels with Joshua.

I'm picking up some minor negative AJ vibes when reading comments on Barry Hearn's latest interview. Mostly from die hard boxing fans it has to be said.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Dec 2014, 2:37 pm

What? Someone starts a post with "I'm a die hard boxing fan" and you take that as a given or do you claim to know these people personally and can vouch for their integrity?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 02 Dec 2014, 2:39 pm

On more knowledgeable boards there is a lot of integrity Dave......Apparently !!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 02 Dec 2014, 2:59 pm

... Not just you Chris.

I was lambasted for suggesting caution with the price hype train and questioning his chin on the back of his amateur career. Az, who I don't think had ever watched him fight... Or anyone else for that matter... then ran with it on a daily basis.

I think until we see him in with someone fighting back who can test his whiskers, and someone who can take him into the later rounds to test his stamina, he should just be considered a very good prospect. But hey, the marketing men won't allow that.

Perhaps they should stick him in with dillian whyte... At least we know he'll come to fight... Not a bad tussle in the amateurs and a taste of the canvas for AJ. Fair play, he was a teenager and he got up.... Even if the ref gave him about a week to recover. ( I know raf... Refs don't influence fights!)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BDSH8cXtFRQ

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Dec 2014, 3:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:On more knowledgeable boards there is a lot of integrity Dave......Apparently !!!!
That'll be why I've no idea what anyone is talking about...that and the fact it's the boxing forum!

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 02 Dec 2014, 3:30 pm

To be fair milkyboy how long ago was that? If I didn't know that was Joshua fighting I wouldn't have recognised him.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Tue 02 Dec 2014, 3:39 pm

AJ is nowhere near LL yet. He has to earn that comparison. And he hasn't.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 02 Dec 2014, 3:58 pm

Captain Kirk wrote:To be fair milkyboy how long ago was that? If I didn't know that was Joshua fighting I wouldn't have recognised him.

I said in the post he was just a kid... It was about 5 years ago... He was 19 or 20.

Whyte's unbeaten as a pro... But has just finished a doping ban I think.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Tue 02 Dec 2014, 4:41 pm

milkyballs that would be a good test, better than KJ. Get the cheat involved, the one who scalped him as an amateur!

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 02 Dec 2014, 7:16 pm

Milkyballs? Didn't know we knew each other?

We know how much Eddie loves a revenge rematch with a grudge.

Never happen of course... The guy might chin him again!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 02 Dec 2014, 7:24 pm

Brilliant idea, let's give a drug's cheat the opportunity of a lifetime, Whyte can see his career go down the pan for all I care.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 02 Dec 2014, 9:28 pm

It was an ironic exchange hammy, but he took an off the shelf supplement with A banned substance in it. He got caught because ge didnt know he'd taken anything banned.

Not excusing him, but frankly, its usually the stupid/naive/lazy ones taking cold remedies who get caught, not the ones with designer chemists giving them real advantages whilst keeping them ahead of the testers.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 03 Dec 2014, 8:21 am

Haven't you posted this already a few weeks back??

#issues #hatecampaign #eddieisgod

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down