The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BJS - Still not convinced

+7
horizontalhero
Mad for Chelsea
TopHat24/7
wheelchair1991
Derbymanc
DDGO2
ONETWOFOREVER
11 posters

Go down

BJS - Still not convinced Empty BJS - Still not convinced

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 02 Dec 2014, 9:23 pm

Billy is a decent fighter. Good not great footwork and some silky skills but he is the UK's Paulie Malignaggi. Saunders will have to work every minute of every round to beat a fighter like Quillen or GGG. Also he has the weakest jab I have seen. He never ever looked like koing Eubank but you could tell when Eubank was throwing those bombs that had he landed it was good night Irene.

The footwork of Saunders is what saved him. So just how far can Billy go?

I see him contesting for the wbo and loosing but he is not an elite level type fighter.

Sorry just cold hard facts

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

BJS - Still not convinced Empty Re: BJS - Still not convinced

Post by DDGO2 Tue 02 Dec 2014, 9:47 pm

I see why, if pressured he can be broken down I think. However, I have respect for his boxing attitude (not his life attitude). He has done things right, at his age to have fought so many 0 fighters and won so many belts I feel you have to respect him. He has the skills but lacks sufficient power, yet, he is only 24, and learns quickly. He can develop stinging power through speed. If he cuts out the Poopie he eats and drinks and lives the life when in camp he can fix his stamina issues too. He is capable but I would not like to see him fight at world level until he has his man strength. He's moving along nicely though, upping his game and not just fighting cans, in short, he is learning and developing. I have respect for that and his will and skills. Just has to get stronger and fitter IMO.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 02 Dec 2014, 9:53 pm

Yeah don't get me wrong I admire his dedication but you can have all the heart in the world but sometimes you need certain tools to dob the job.

BJS has no ko power which means he has to outbox his opponents in a division with serious bangers like GGG Canelo and Cotto.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 03 Dec 2014, 8:43 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:He never ever looked like koing Eubank but you could tell when Eubank was throwing those bombs that had he landed it was good night Irene.

Really? How'd you work that out??!

Because a number of those bombs DID land and BJS was wobbled once but otherwise showed a damn sturdy chin. Also, how is it advisable for a boxer to load up his shots so heavily and recklessly that when his oppo makes him miss, he practically falls over he's so unbalanced.

Are you really advocating that......??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 03 Dec 2014, 9:14 am

Didn't Eubank hit around 2/3 of his major uppercuts and not phase Saunders?

Think his power has been well overrated.

As for Saunders, I think someone mentioned he should really try and get down to a lower weight division where maybe he'll have some power. He needs to have a look and see if he's really willing to put the time in as he seemed to tire in the later rounds.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Wed 03 Dec 2014, 9:24 am

BJS cannot go down, he's a MW.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 03 Dec 2014, 9:33 am

Are there no divisions lower than MW now???

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed 03 Dec 2014, 10:00 am

I agree with you Derbymanc i think bjs could go down to light middle if he lives a proper boxers life, just because hes acted properly for one camp does not overide the way he has been cutting corners before that

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 03 Dec 2014, 10:15 am

Derbymanc wrote:Are there no divisions lower than MW now???

Laugh Laugh Laugh

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 03 Dec 2014, 11:16 am

What surprised me was how much success Saunders let Eubank have despite how crude Eubank looked at times. Wild shots, but he landed a fair few, and won at least 4 rounds (I had him winning 5).

Disagree with the comments from 12 about Saunders chin though. He was hit pretty flush by a few uppercuts and he never looked like being knocked out, so he looks to have a pretty solid chin at least.

I agree with the consensus that he just looks a little light at the weight. He had much the better boxing skills than Eubank, but was unable to force Eubank's respect, who simply bullied him in the latter rounds.

Maybe Saunders had faith in his chin and knew he'd done enough in the opening rounds to take a decision so slightly cruised down the stretch, but given how tight the scorecards turned out to be that seems a risky strategy...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Wed 03 Dec 2014, 12:43 pm

Neither of them convinced, but I'm not sure that they have finished their respective apprenticeships yet. Agree that the lack of punch pwoer will be a problems at the highest level, but neither are the finished article yet. Given the fragmentation of the titles, boxers are encouraged to go for 'world titles' and the bigger money too soon. Both need a good half a dozen fights at european / top 10-20 level. whether they get that is another question.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 03 Dec 2014, 2:41 pm

I like BJS. I don't think he will ever be more than a potential alphabelt champ. Good jab, good footwork, decent chin it seems. Bit gassy and lacks real pop. But, he has an excellent attitude to the sport (not to many other things as noted above) and I wish him all the best. He is still very young, so we should give him a year or two to fully develop at the weight.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Wed 03 Dec 2014, 3:06 pm

like BJS. I don't think he will ever be more than a potential alphabelt champ. Good jab, good footwork, decent chin it seems. Bit gassy and lacks real pop. But, he has an excellent attitude to the sport (not to many other things as noted above) and I wish him all the best. He is still very young, so we should give him a year or two to fully develop at the weight.
----->>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Seanus why? he has natural skills, will and talent, he can be a legit champ surely?

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 03 Dec 2014, 3:36 pm

I don't see him beating GGG, obviously. Quillin? Quillin has a bit of pop, which may be the telling point there. I don't know much about Korobov.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 03 Dec 2014, 3:41 pm

By fight time last week...70/30 on here were picking Eubank....

The kid won on 99% of the cards and now this..

Give it a rest...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 03 Dec 2014, 4:12 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:By fight time last week...70/30 on here were picking Eubank....

The kid won on 99% of the cards and now this..

Give it a rest...

What are you banging on about?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 03 Dec 2014, 4:18 pm

A win is a win......Just sore Eubank fans sticking it to Saunders.

I can see Saunders beating Koroboc..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Wed 03 Dec 2014, 4:38 pm

'Koroboc' who?

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 03 Dec 2014, 4:43 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:A win is a win......Just sore Eubank fans sticking it to Saunders.  

I can see Saunders beating Koroboc..

I don't see many sore Eubank fans on here. I just see a sore Truss.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 03 Dec 2014, 6:21 pm

Just back from the Oyster

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 03 Dec 2014, 6:21 pm

Always thought he could campaign at 154, and be far more successful

He's a pretty small middleweight and has always had that soft look to him. This doesn't mean he's unfit etc as he can fight for 12 rounds as he's shown but given what you hear about how he takes care of his body he probably could've made 154

Anyways he's too old now to go down I think so middleweight is his weight. Yes he still needs to improve on his fitness and strength which can still come but he has great skills and quick hands

Has a long way to go before a title shot and he knows this, maybe one day. He protects his chin pretty well so if he can improve his physical strength and conditioning he could be a real player in the game with although he's still a long way off but these fights are good developing fights

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 03 Dec 2014, 6:43 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Just back from the Oyster

rose

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Wed 03 Dec 2014, 7:10 pm

BJS knows he's still learning, was critical of his own performance and pointed out the areas he let himself down on. Agreed on the lifestyle but Eubank had a sturdy chin, pretty good engine and power and threw everything but the kitchen sink at him in the last few rounds and he came through it. Saunders might to OK but agree he needs a few more tough fights before fighting for a world title.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum