The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Rooney Steal the Show?

5 posters

Go down

Can Rooney Steal the Show? Empty Can Rooney Steal the Show?

Post by sodhat Fri 27 May 2011, 2:32 pm

I have for a long time been a fan of Wayne Rooney and his undoubted footballing abilities. More recently that has meant that I am more often than not a Rooney apologist, trying to point out his talent over his off field excursions and shocking loss of form from March 2010 onwards.

Of late though he has picked himself up and begun to show his talent on the pitch once more. He has been back among the goals, not to the extent of the fruitful 09-10 season, but on a steady run that sees him go into tomorrow's match without the 'goal drought' tag that he could well have.

He has also scored important goals, the winner at Stamford Bridge (one of two he scored there, although the first was in vain in a 2-1 loss), the winner in the Manchester derby with one of the most incredible goals you may see, and a hat-trick against my own West Ham when they were swaying on the ropes.

Not just goals have returned, but the ability to create them, directly or indirectly. Against Schalke he played a pass for the opener that had Jamie Redknapp requiring a new pair of underpants, and his effective link ups with Chicarito are wonderful to watch.

He has been restored at last to the position I always thought he should occupy - the attacking midfielder linking the play and roaming where he wants to. His ability in the role is always underlined for me by his intelligence of pass, and the way (contra to Ronaldo) he isn't looking constantly to shoot, rather to see the whole field and play the ball where to areas where the opposition can be hurt and split open. When he does shoot he generally finds the target or at least draws an 'ooooh' from the crowd as the ball flashes past.

I think if he starts, and stays in the attacking midfield role behind Hernandez, then he may be a difference maker. He needs to be sufficiently advanced to be a true threat, and he simply cannot have the same impact from the wing - which is where I fear he may end up, as a prisoner of his own versatility.

From this position he can link the play, and most importantly, get in the face of Busquets who generally dictates Barcelona's play from the back. If he can use his raw energy and aggression and hassle Busquets, he may knock Barcelona out of their rhythm that is so vital to the way they dominate teams.

Add to this his ball striking abilities, and the intelligence with which he uses the ball and space and I think he may be good for chance creation and potentially goals that no other United player would be.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Can Rooney Steal the Show? Empty Re: Can Rooney Steal the Show?

Post by User Name Fri 27 May 2011, 3:01 pm

Can Rooney Steal the show?

No.
Not when Messi is on the pitch.

User Name

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 27 May 2011, 3:07 pm

Can't be that simple though surely?

What if Messi doesn't perform as he can? It can't be that inconceivable can it?

The question isn't who is better, it's clear Messi is something else in that regard, but whether Rooney can take hold of the game and win it.

But for sure Messi could win it for Barca...alone.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 27 May 2011, 3:13 pm

what if rooney doesn't perform?

all a game of twists and roundabouts.

in any case its xavi and iniesta you need to worry about.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 27 May 2011, 3:19 pm

I'd agree that Iniesta and Xavi will be a problem, but not in so explosive a way as Messi could be.

Rooney may well not perform - he has previous for that.

But if he does what he can do, could he be a match winner? I'm not sure United have another player that can do what he does and so affect the result.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 27 May 2011, 3:21 pm

he could be a matchwinner, but there's 1 person everyone always forgets when barcelona play.

pedro - the amount of times he's popped up and scored vital goals in ridiculous

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 27 May 2011, 3:26 pm

If you look at Barcelona's team, and take each player individually, their threat is frightening.

Pedro is a hard worker and he has an eye for goal. Then if he doesn't score, you have Villa and Messi in your faces.

My brain tells me this one is Barca's to lose...but I never bet against Manchester United because they will defy me any time I do.

Perhaps we should start a thread for the final and a poll for who wins...

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by User Name Fri 27 May 2011, 3:29 pm

If anyone is to win it for Utd, it'll be Berbatov.

User Name

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Fri 27 May 2011, 4:18 pm

I dont think Berbatov will start, he slows Uniteds play down, it will be Rooney behind Hernandez. Rooney has the potential to win this game on his own, however, only if he concentrates on playing for the team and doesnt let the opposition wind him up and put him off. Nobody needs a hotheaded Rooney running around kicking people!!

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 27 May 2011, 4:22 pm

davidl1061 wrote:I dont think Berbatov will start, he slows Uniteds play down, it will be Rooney behind Hernandez. Rooney has the potential to win this game on his own, however, only if he concentrates on playing for the team and doesnt let the opposition wind him up and put him off. Nobody needs a hotheaded Rooney running around kicking people!!

Depends if he kicks the right people!

I don't see Berbatov as a starter, and however much I admire his ability (amazing touch) I don't think he has a match-winning quality.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by taffy_crisp Fri 27 May 2011, 6:52 pm

User Name wrote:If anyone is to win it for Utd, it'll be Berbatov.

or Nani

i would like it to be Gibson, then it will be amazing how everybody loves him all of a sudden, after a season of hate

taffy_crisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down