The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wentworth

+15
ScottieD18
GWR-Golfer
Doon the Water
LondonJonnyO
Noshankingtonite
super_realist
drive4show
sharrison01
Davie
George1507
oldshanker
McLaren
kwinigolfer
Maverick
oldparwin
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wentworth - Page 2 Empty Wentworth

Post by oldparwin Fri 27 May 2011, 4:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have heard a few of the pros's complaining how tough the course is, compared to what it was before Els redesigned it, must admit i like to see it tough for them to make pars, rather than some of the birdie feasts we see in most tour events.

This proves that most courses can be made to play tough with the right design, and I would love to see more of these courses used in Tournaments

Do you think courses should be made tougher or is it just me?

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Wentworth - Page 2 Empty Re: Wentworth

Post by drive4show Thu 02 Jun 2011, 1:52 pm

raycastleunited wrote:good point d4s

Glad we agree kiss

Laugh

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 02 Jun 2011, 2:52 pm

Ray the tee shot on 17 is/was extremely difficult with driver draw into the slope with OB down the left.Anything wide went under the trees on the right.2nd was blind ,long and very occasionaly a player would get it spot on for the eagle chance.Too far left(where the new hollow is)and you are in the gardens.Tee on 18 was to cut one around the corner to avoid the left side bunkers but far enough out to see the green.Long approach shot to a fairly narrow entrance.these were long holes and the sponsors guests in the hospitality would have loved the action into 18.Remember jiminez in his playoff a few years ago.Change for the sake of it IMO fair enough the putting surfaces needed some attention but its obvious the players have a generally poor opinion of it most being reluctant to say anything.When Ernie is next out walking the dog he should take a long hard look.vandalism

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 02 Jun 2011, 3:15 pm

Dyna,
The point is that in the past the pro's always went for the green in 2. 17 is/was a very long hole and many players never got there in 2, however they pretty much all went for it anyway as there was litle risk involved. 18 used to play like a long par 4. Narrow approach between two bunkers is no risk, these guys expect to get up and down from greenside bunkers, and I remember seeing players hit a little cut with a driver and leave themselves 6 iron into the green.

Different story now, more thought involved.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Thu 02 Jun 2011, 5:26 pm

Hmm, don't know about that. Just about the only thought was - 'I'll hit a three wood off the tee, then a six iron, then a wedge.'

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:19 am

Im with you george.I played a course nr Worksop last week.Bondhay.very little enjoyment cos is was so so difficult .Donald Steel 'design'with unlimited budget and many tons of sand by the looks of it.last hole par 5 decent drive away and when i got down to my drive theres about 100 yards of water in front of the green.No real option for any other play 8 iron down to the water and then 9 up to the green.Sometimes things look good on paper but just do not work

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2