The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adam Jones Retires from International Rugby

+11
Cyril
Mr Bounce
majesticimperialman
TightHEAD
chris_501
maestegmafia
bedfordwelsh
rainbow-warrior
The Saint
Gwlad
wales606
15 posters

Go down

Adam Jones Retires from International Rugby Empty Adam Jones Retires from International Rugby

Post by wales606 Sat 24 Jan 2015, 11:46 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30961855

Real shame,

Gatland has said to the media that Adam is walking straight into the starting team if Samson Lee gets injured - so why pick Andrews over him.

Looks like Adam has given up on waiting for Gatland

"Warren is the man who came in and saved me, he gave me a kick up the [backside] so he's been a massive influence on me, and I'm very grateful," said Jones.
"I don't agree with what he's done now, I don't agree with him not picking me. But he's got to pick who he thinks is best."

I won't be surprised if he does come out of retirement if Gatland calls, but if not, then it is a huge blow for Wales before the world cup.

He is a Welsh legend and has given Wales a strong and stable scrum for almost a decade up until last summer. His experience is invaluable, and while we finally have someone to fill his boots, were certainly don't have enough to have any depth at THP without him.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Adam Jones Retires from International Rugby Empty Re: Adam Jones Retires from International Rugby

Post by Gwlad Sat 24 Jan 2015, 11:53 pm

I do think Gats has mismanaged this. AJ needed a kick up the ass for sure but to drop him from the squad is a mistake and Gats comments about him not being a bench player while talking about strength in depth make no sense; he isn't going to be starting anyone else except Lee this tour for sure. If Lee is injured then we are farmed frankly. Obvioulsy Gats is giving Andrews his chance to kick on or be passed over.
Reading between the lines clearly Lee has taken the shirt away and there is no debate over that in camp anymore, but Jones has a part to play in the squad with an RWC coming up.

Jones should have got selected and then fine don't pick him to play but he is there in camp if needed. Gats could still use the bench to bring on younger options

Last edited by Gwlad on Sun 25 Jan 2015, 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Adam Jones Retires from International Rugby Empty Re: Adam Jones Retires from International Rugby

Post by wales606 Sat 24 Jan 2015, 11:58 pm

Lee is already carrying an injury,

We had more depth at THP a few years ago, but now Jarvis and Mitchell look poor, and I haven't seen James covering THP under the new laws.

Then again, no nation really seems to have a reliably powerful scrum anymore - even the argentinians and italians. They might dominate one game, only to achieve parity with the Australians the week after.

I think I preferred it before the rule change, when you could at least guess which way the scrums were going to go before the match. Even though it hurt to see it as a Blues fan.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 25 Jan 2015, 12:00 am

Looks like it's Paul James back to TH then when Lee goes off injured. Can't see Jones coming in now. He should have been there in the first place when it's quite clear to Gatland and everyone else that Andrews and Jarvis are there to hold tackle bags. Very, very odd decision-making.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 25 Jan 2015, 12:01 am

wales606 wrote:

Then again, no nation really seems to have a reliably powerful scrum anymore - even the argentinians and italians. They might dominate one game, only to achieve parity with the Australians the week after.

England have exactly that. They also have good depth there right now.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sun 25 Jan 2015, 4:28 am

Very sad to see, a true legend and one of the world's best. To not see him in the Welsh jersey again is heartbreaking to be honest. There'll be no testimonial for a forward will there? Rhetorical.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 25 Jan 2015, 8:37 am

I can understand why he's made the decision but IMO he has made it a bit hastily and let emotion come into it. I think he should have at least held out until after the 6 Nations were I am sure he would have been called up.

All that said well done and good luck to a true character of the game (not many about these days).

Diolch Adam.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 25 Jan 2015, 8:54 am

Looks like a ridiculously hasty decision. Though he said that he made this decision pre Christmas.

I hope that if we can't fill his shoes that he changes his mind. He is a great player and a phenomenal character.

https://youtu.be/p0ehR4vYgvU

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Sun 25 Jan 2015, 9:24 am

He has been treated a little shabbily, but I don't think a player should retire from their international team. Ryan Jones said the exact same thing last week. It's a shame, but I personally can't see either Gatland or Adam changing their minds.

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 25 Jan 2015, 12:33 pm

Deserved to go out in better fashion, I hope he comes back, hes still valuable to Wales

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 25 Jan 2015, 1:21 pm

That's a shame, bad man manegent from Gatland
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Sun 25 Jan 2015, 1:50 pm

IronMike wrote:Deserved to go out in better fashion, I hope he comes back, hes still valuable to Wales

Obviously Wales isn't valuable to him. I read the article in the paper and it's one of those pieces that want you to have great sympathy for him. It's a shame. Throwing his toys out the pram.

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 25 Jan 2015, 2:53 pm

I think he has every right to be just a little upset.... I mean...Andrews Ffs!

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 25 Jan 2015, 2:55 pm

Dont blame him for retiring from the international game to be honest.

Wales have not wanted him for the last 2 years or so. So why should he hang around waiting and maybe hoping for a second chance that is not going to come.

Wish him all the best for the future.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 25 Jan 2015, 2:57 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Dont blame him for retiring from the international game to be honest.

Wales have not wanted him for the last 2 years or so. So why should he hang around waiting and maybe hoping for a second chance that is not going to come.

He was first choice until about 8 months ago, so I wouldn't say we haven't needed him for 2 years - I think we will need him again if Samson gets injured
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 25 Jan 2015, 3:21 pm

Not needed for last 2 years yeah nice one maj
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 25 Jan 2015, 3:22 pm

Tis a shame - I shall miss seeing that amazing hair running around the MS. Great, great player. Turned his career right around and probably the best THP in the Northern Hemisphere for the past few years.

Here's to a happy retirement big man! Ale

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 25 Jan 2015, 3:28 pm

Great player in his time and genuinely good guy with a sense of humour.

Shame his international career seemed to have ended in a less-than-ideal manner.

All the best Hair Bear Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 25 Jan 2015, 4:03 pm

wales606 wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:Dont blame him for retiring from the international game to be honest.

He was first choice until about 8 months ago, so I wouldn't say we haven't needed him for 2 years - I think we will need him again if Samson gets injured

Is it really only 8 month ago?...... I thought it was longer since i seen him in a Wales shirt.

I still wish him well for the future.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 25 Jan 2015, 4:26 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
wales606 wrote:

Is it really only 8 month ago?...... I thought it was longer since i seen him in a Wales shirt.

I still wish him well for the future.

Yep, Samson took over after 30 minutes against SA in the first test. Before then, Adam was first choice
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sun 25 Jan 2015, 7:17 pm

Sad to see him go - a great player and always seemed to be a true gent.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Mon 26 Jan 2015, 9:37 am

great player and person, but this is clearly an emotional and wrong decision. He should wait until after the RWC before doing this and should keep himself available until then. A shame to end a great international career like this.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 26 Jan 2015, 6:30 pm

I feel both parties are in the wrong in some way. Gatland was a disrespectful fool to include players like Rhodri Jones and Scott Andrews over Adam, after all the latter has contributed to Welsh success and after he declined only a little bit in quality.

However, I don't agree with Adam's decision to call it a day. He's been comfortably included in squads for over a decade and to hang up the boots after being dropped from only a couple of squads comes across as reactionary and a little self-centred.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 26 Jan 2015, 7:43 pm

Honestly, I think he's spat the dummy. He was on Wales Today earlier and said he thinks he's still up to it and has a lot left to give; if that's the case, why retire? He always said he wanted to play in another World Cup.

Gatland made it clear enough that the door's still open, but Jones has decided to close it. Sorry, but he gets no violins from me.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon 26 Jan 2015, 7:44 pm

He has spat the dummy, no doubt. But Gtas dropped the ball on this one. He should be in the squad.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 26 Jan 2015, 8:10 pm

Frankly, I'm not even 100% positive Adam Jones would say no if Gatland were to genuinely ask to include him in the WC squad. He clearly feels physically up for it and is eager for the chance to represent Wales more.

I just don't think it reflects very well on someone who has as many caps and who has been in as many squads as Adam to turn his back after only 2 omissions. If every player had a similar attitude, national sides would be in a very poor state. I agree Gatland was harsh to omit him from the squad entirely (and the inclusion of lesser names for no apparent reason just makes me angry) but it isn't as disrespectful as some are making out when you consider that Adam was one of Gats' 'undroppables' for years beforehand.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down