The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LV Cup Semi Finals

+3
Dubbelyew L Overate
LondonTiger
Coleman
7 posters

Go down

LV Cup Semi Finals Empty LV Cup Semi Finals

Post by Coleman Mon 02 Feb 2015, 5:04 pm

Hi guys, does anyone have a clue who is in line to be in for a Semi in the LV? I just looked at the tables on the Beeb and they made no sense to me. I have read that the Tigers have a place in the Semis already. Also, how are the fixtures decided? Is it neutral venue? Interested to see who the Blues may get if we win on sat, and also if we'll be traveling.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

LV Cup Semi Finals Empty Re: LV Cup Semi Finals

Post by LondonTiger Mon 02 Feb 2015, 5:14 pm

BBC not updated with weekend. Use this:

http://www.premiershiprugby.com/matchcentre/tables/lv_cup.php

Each of the four qualifying clubs shall be ranked as above and shall play each other as follows:
Semi-final 1 - 1st ranked club v 4th ranked club
Semi-final 2 - 2nd ranked club v 3rd ranked club
The first club listed in each of the semi-final matches shall be the home club.
The top teams from each pool qualify for the knockout stages.
The pool winners will be decided by the following criteria:
1. The pool winner will be the club with the highest number of match points in each pool. The pool winners will be ranked 1 to 4 by reference to the number of match points earned in the pools.
2. If two or more clubs in the same pool end the pool stage equal on match points, then the order in which they have finished will be determined by:
i. the greater number of matches won by the club and
ii. if the number of matches won is equal, the club with the greater total number of tries scored and
iii. if the total number of tries scored is equal, the club with the greater points difference (points scored for, less points scored against) and
iv. if the points difference is equal, the club with the fewer number of red cards
and
v. if the number of red cards is the same, by the toss of a coin.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 02 Feb 2015, 5:16 pm

Leicester not quite in semis. They need 1pt from the visit to Cardiff to guarantee top spot in the pool. Only way we cannot be in semi is if we get noting and Wasps gain a TBP win at Northampton.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Mon 02 Feb 2015, 5:45 pm

Only Exeter have qualified already.

Interesting that the 4 pool leaders play each other in the final round, all needing to win (for a home semi in Exeter's case) but all could still qualify despite losing if other results go their way.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Mon 02 Feb 2015, 6:08 pm

Thank you. Really would be nice to get a home Semi for us. I know it's not the strongest cup but we'll take it.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 02 Feb 2015, 6:14 pm

aye,

Winners of Saracens v Exeter and Cardiff v Leicester will have home semis. Not infeasible that the semis could be a repeat of those games.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 02 Feb 2015, 8:13 pm

Twitter suggesting the LV aint happening next seson, btw.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Mon 02 Feb 2015, 8:26 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:Twitter suggesting the LV aint happening next seson, btw.

Be nice to fill it with a Regional A cup for us if i'm honest. The Blues v O's A game was pretty well attended. I don't think the English will miss it to be honest.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 02 Feb 2015, 8:32 pm

Its not on next season due to the WC. I'd be in favour of it being scrapped and returning to an English club tournament between the Jeff and the championship.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 02 Feb 2015, 8:37 pm

Coleman wrote:

Be nice to fill it with a Regional A cup for us if i'm honest. The Blues v O's A game was pretty well attended. I don't think the English will miss it to be honest.

An A game? When was that? And if we have a Regional A comp, what would that mean for the WP clubs?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Mon 02 Feb 2015, 9:46 pm

LV cup Is great, perfect way to blood youngsters and give meaningful match time. Just look at the wasps Cardiff and bath quins, they were hardly dull affairs. This cup is so important in terms of squad development and still exciting Smile

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Mon 02 Feb 2015, 10:09 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Coleman wrote:

An A game? When was that? And if we have a Regional A comp, what would that mean for the WP clubs?

It was in October, the O's won 15-24 there was more than 1,000 people in the Arms Park (it was free). You keep the Welsh Prem, but you play a regional A Cup and basically make the teams of the best players from all of the prem teams. It should in theory be a step up from Welsh Prem and the B&I Cup. We need that level as a lot of our players can't adjust to the level of regional rugby straight away.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue 03 Feb 2015, 12:52 pm

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/News/Article/36790

By Ospreys Rugby | 20/10/2014
The Ospreys came out on top in an entertaining ‘A’ team fixture at BT Sport Cardiff Arms Park on Monday evening.

There were tries for Tom Grabham, Hanno Dirksen and Calum Davies, as well as a penalty try, with Luke Price converting two of the touchdowns.

The sides were welcomed onto the field by heavy rain and wind but, fortunately, the downpour eased within minutes of the kick-off.

With both teams playing the first games together, it was understandable that the early exchanges were all about feeling their way into the contest.

It was the Blues who opened the scoring 10 minutes in, through the boot of Will Thomas. The Ospreys were penalised at the ruck in front of the posts after scrambling to cover following a break up the right by Harry Davies, the winger hacking the loose ball forward from halfway and gathering in his stride before being caught by Grabham.

Clever running from Price almost created the first opening for the visitors, the outside half linking well with Aled Jenkins, but the Blues defence was able to close the gap as the Swansea centre looked to find a way through.

At the other end, Thomas was off target with a straightforward looking penalty after another Ospreys offence on the ground, before Price also missed the target at the other end after a penalty for side entry.

Some strong running from the Blues took them into the danger zone and, with an overlap on the outside, Garyn Smith ignored Harry Davies and a seemingly certain score to cut infield and go for the line himself.

He found his progress blocked and he belatedly moved the ball on to his winger, where a try looked the only possible outcome, only for Dirksen to hit his man back in contact on the line, forcing a knock-on. From the resulting scrum, Ifereimi Boladau picked up at the back and drove through two Blues players, giving Price room and time to clear.

With half time approaching the Ospreys grabbed the lead with the first try of the match. They had been pressing the line, stretching the Blues defence with a series of close range snipes but when the ball went loose it was hacked clear, back over halfway.

However, Richard Fussell was back to cover, showing good skills to pick the ball up under pressure before moving it to launch another attack. It was worked out to the right wing where Grabham took the final pass close to the touchline and pinned his ears back to cross. Price’s touchline conversion was off target, meaning the Ospreys led by just two points going in at the break.

HALF-TIME: CARDIFF BLUES A 3 OSPREYS A 5

The Ospreys began the second half as they ended the first, on the offensive, with strong running from Fussell, Dirksen and Aisea Natoga, taking them up into the opposition 22. Close to the line, they probed patiently going through the phases looking for an opening, only for Matthew Dwyer to knock on in the tackle five metres out.

They were able to keep the pressure up on the hosts though, running the ball back at their opponents with Aled Jenkins and Dan Suter both gaining ground. When it was spun out to the left Jenkins was involved again, stepping his defender before offloading to Dirksen who went over for the second try of the night, which like the first, went unconverted.

The Blues hit straight back, opting to go to the corner instead of taking a shot at the posts, and from 5m out their pack drove straight over the line, James Sheekey dabbing down. The third try of the contest was the third to go unconverted, Thomas pulling his kick to the left of the posts.

After Calum Davies and Jenkins, again, had made some good ground for the Ospreys, the visitors were awarded a penalty close to the line, from which they opted for a scrum.

Three times the packs went down, three times the result was penalty Ospreys, before referee Rhys Thomas eventually ran under the posts to signal a penalty try. Price added the extras to take the score to 17-8 with 20 minutes still to play.

With the Ospreys on top, the fourth try came in the 69th minute, and again it came via the scrum. This time, the pack drove their opponents towards their own line, Calum Davies picking up at the back to force his way over and score. Price’s conversion from the touchline struck the right post before falling the right away between the sticks.

The clock was ticking down but the Blues weren’t going to throw the towel in and they grabbed the next score, a try that wouldn’t have pleased the Ospreys coaches as Will Baird picked the ball up at the back of the scrum and was able to drift through a hole as wide as the Cheddar Gorge to go over unopposed for the simplest of scores. James Whittingham converted.

With time just about up the Ospreys looked to round off the evening with a final score, but both Natoga and Matthew Dwyer were unable to take the scoring pass under pressure, meaning there was no further change to the scoring.
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 03 Feb 2015, 6:10 pm

Coleman wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Coleman wrote:

It was in October, the O's won 15-24 there was more than 1,000 people in the Arms Park (it was free). You keep the Welsh Prem, but you play a regional A Cup and basically make the teams of the best players from all of the prem teams. It should in theory be a step up from Welsh Prem and the B&I Cup. We need that level as a lot of our players can't adjust to the level of regional rugby straight away.

I'd forgotten about that game.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 03 Feb 2015, 6:21 pm

sirtidychris wrote:LV cup Is great, perfect way to blood youngsters and give meaningful match time. Just look at the wasps Cardiff and bath quins, they were hardly dull affairs. This cup is so important in terms of squad development and still exciting Smile

Word on the Rialto is that it aint happening next season coz of the RWC apparently.
IIRC Dai Young blooded a host of youngsters once or twice and we got smashed. Also the winning prize for English teams was more desirable than it was for us lot. A place in the HEC compared to BFH. Could be better if it was an U23 comp I spose with no place in the top tier on offer for the English.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down