The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2015 6N, Round 1; Italy vs Ireland

+36
TheRugbyMaster
GLove39
The Saint
Heaf
quinsforever
beshocked
Rory_Gallagher
mystiroakey
Sin é
MichaelT
yappysnap
Golden
carpet baboon
kunu
Stewie15
Notch
Kingshu
Pete330v2
Pot Hale
The Great Aukster
SecretFly
rodders
profitius
Mickado
pete (buachaill on eirne)
LeinsterFan4life
the-goon
Submachine
whocares
Welly
PredictorofTeams
Nachos Jones
rapidsnowman
GunsGerms
Irish Londoner
George Carlin
40 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

2015 6N, Round 1; Italy vs Ireland - Page 5 Empty 2015 6N, Round 1; Italy vs Ireland

Post by Notch Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:07 am

First topic message reminder :

2015 6N, Round 1; Italy vs Ireland - Page 5 Italy_102015 6N, Round 1; Italy vs Ireland - Page 5 Irelan10

ITALY v IRELAND

Where: Stadio Olimpico, Rome
When: Saturday the 7th February 2015
Kick-off: 15.30 local time, 14.30 UK and Ireland

Referee: Pascal Gauzere (FFR)
Assistant Referee 1: Wayne Barnes (RFU)
Assistant Referee 2: Stuart Berry (SARU)
TMO: Graham Hughes (RFU)

ITALY
2015 6N, Round 1; Italy vs Ireland - Page 5 Murino10
15 Andrea Masi
14 Leonardo Sarto
13 Michele Campagnaro
12 Luca Morisi
11 Luke McLean
10 Kelly Haimona
9 Eduardo Gori

1 Matías Agüero
2 Leonardo Ghiraldini
3 Martin Castrogiovanni
4 Joshua Furno
5 George Biagi
6 Alessandro Zanni
7 Francesco Minto
8 Sergio Parisse (c)

16 Andrea Manici
17 Alberto de Marchi
18 Dario Chistolini
19 Marco Fuser
20 Marco Barbini
21 Guglielmo Palazzani
22 Tommaso Allan
23 Giovanbattista Venditti

IRELAND
2015 6N, Round 1; Italy vs Ireland - Page 5 Mrs_do10
15 Rob Kearney
14 Tommy Bowe
13 Jared Payne
12 Robbie Henshaw
11 Simon Zebo
10 Ian Keatley
9 Conor Murray

1 Jack McGrath
2 Rory Best
3 Mike Ross
4 Devin Toner
5 Paul O'Connell (c)
6 Peter O'Mahony
7 Sean O'Brien
8 Jordi Murphy

16 Sean Cronin
17 James Cronin
18 Martin Moore
19 Iain Henderson
20 Tommy O'Donnell
21 Isaac Boss
22 Ian Madigan
23 Felix Jones

Last edited by Notch on Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

2015 6N, Round 1; Italy vs Ireland - Page 5 Empty Re: 2015 6N, Round 1; Italy vs Ireland

Post by profitius Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:41 pm

quinsforever wrote:
i would be more than a bit worried about an untried england backline's ability to post stats like that against Wales at MS. especially if i were Australia

They butchered plenty of chances. It was the England pack that won that game.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

2015 6N, Round 1; Italy vs Ireland - Page 5 Empty Re: 2015 6N, Round 1; Italy vs Ireland

Post by SecretFly Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:58 pm

George Carlin wrote:Just saw the highlights, although missed the match.

I am not being facetious in the slightest but people are only disappointed in the context of their expectations, so what was the problem with the way Ireland played tonight? What score was expected against Italy?

For me about one converted try more... two if they were cruising without being in overdrive.

Yes, Italy were dogged - yes Parrise was doing his bobbing and weaving and frustrating and being the Captain Italy need as a fulcrum..............  but Ireland played some pretty unconvincing stuff in the first half to allow Italy to stay in touch.  A bigger scoreline was needed for strategic purposes but Ireland grounded themselves down into the usual attritional rugby stuff with Italy.  Everytime Ireland 'needs' something from a game with Italy, they don't seem to need to do the cliched 'breaking down' period.  Last year we needed scores and we scored 7 tries.  But when Ireland don't think they need anything more than a win they lose that firey determination to punish and settle for these scrappy games.

What happens over the next few weeks is in the lap of the Gods but if the eventual 6N champs are reliant on a positive scoring record then Ireland might return to that Italy game and bemoan, once more, the lack of ruthlessness and greed they all too often show against Italy when all they think they need is a win.  From day one, the 6N is about winning - yes - but also about strategic scoring when possible.  The two go together. Italy are traditionally the easiest target for scoring and other sides will attempt to notch up the points against them

I keep saying every game should have the driven desire to crush an opponent - that emotion shouldn't have to wait for a New Zealand or an Australia or an England or a Wales.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:35 pm

Ireland did enough to win the match.   The Championship is still in their hands.

England and France likewise.

Ireland will have to get their act together for next week though - will they really put Healy, Heaslip, O'Brien, Sexton and Reddan into the squad if they're fit?   Will the first four get a start or a bench spot?

How is Schmidt being convinced of Payne at 13 - for a start, he's a Kiwi-born player who shouldn't be in there.  And secondly, he's not particularly good.  Ditto Boss.

France were fairly stodgy although Scotland were in their faces all through the match.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:32 pm

Pot Hale wrote:Ireland did enough to win the match.   The Championship is still in their hands.

England and France likewise.

Ireland will have to get their act together for next week though - will they really put Healy, Heaslip, O'Brien, Sexton and Reddan into the squad if they're fit?   Will the first four get a start or a bench spot?

How is Schmidt being convinced of Payne at 13 - for a start, he's a Kiwi-born player who shouldn't be in there.  And secondly, he's not particularly good.  Ditto Boss.

France were fairly stodgy although Scotland were in their faces all through the match.

I can't see Healy being involved next week after being out for so long.
SOB could be involved but it'll be as a sub.
Sexton would be a worry too since he has been out a while and I would expect Reddan to replace Boss on the bench.
Heaslip looks likely to start at 8. His injury has only been a few weeks.
Adding it all up it could become an issue for Ireland. A large chunk of players need game time but at least they got it today.

I'd disagree about Payne. He is a creative player and thats badly needed. Still a better fullback but he can become a good center. Rob Kearney's biggest weakness is creativity. He has none! I would like to see Payne get a game at fullback but it won;t happen. Pity McCloskey is injured because I'd like to see him partner Henshaw. Henshaw played alright today but made 2 crucial handling errors. Hopefully he and the team are sharper next week.

Boss is a cabbage. I can't see any reason why he is there at all and to put it frankly, he doesn't deserve to be ahead of Marmion. I can only assume that Marmion is still getting to grips with how Schmidt wants to play.

France were stodgy alright. How many chances did they butcher. They're not the smartest of teams.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by FecklessRogue Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:41 am

I can understand any coach picking Kearney at full back. Because he's just so reliable at some of the fundamentals of that position. But he's not creative. And he's not a brilliant tackler, which is a bit of weakness of his that people rarely mention for some reason. I'd like to see Payne given a chance there but it won't happen. Kearney is nailed on.

I wouldn't be hugely worried about today's performance because teams going to Rome on the opening day tend to have a frustrating day even if they do normally win in the end. After week 1 I think the only thing that can stop Robshaw lifting the trophy is an Irish Grand Slam (the fixtures aren't conductive to us winning on points difference with four wins). With the amount of injuries we have I'd normally have no hope of beating France. But we were riddled by injuries in the Autumn and had a clean sweep, so I'm not giving up hope yet.

Come on Ireland.
FecklessRogue
FecklessRogue

Back to top Go down

Post by kunu Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:03 pm

I have no doubt Sexton will be fine - he's been training at 10 with the team during the camps, just not taking tackles. He wasn't injured per se - just required not to take a hit because the rules said so.

Healy will be on the bench, even at 70% he's better than Cronin. I'd expect Murphy to start at 7, with SOB on the bench if the injury is as innocuous as Schmidt hopes.
kunu
kunu

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:23 pm

profitius wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
i would be more than a bit worried about an untried england backline's ability to post stats like that against Wales at MS. especially if i were Australia

They butchered plenty of chances. It was the England pack that won that game.
England's pack, as usual, played very solidly in set piece and in defense. but haskell it was who butchered the sitter. and Easter's alleged obstruction that caused the overturning of an imo perfectly good attwood try. so for me it was clearly the forwards who butchered the chances. england's backs looked much more dangerous and clinical.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:55 pm

Ireland will be fine against France.

If you counter their rolling maul (and O'Connell can) then France seemed to show precious little else.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:53 am

Just watched the game again and a few things stand out.
1. With so many ball carrying options missing from the pack it seemed a strange tactic to constantly use one out runners to be smashed tackle after tackle with very little gain. Yes it kept it tight and we retained the ball very well but often having to flood the breakdown as we were going into a crowd of Italians.
2. When we did move it on, just one more pass we made more ground, won the ball quicker and with fewer men committed to the ruck.
3. Ian Keatley, after a shaky start proved why he should start ahead of madigan. Some excellent kicking from hand. Great pace almost created a couple of openings and faultless kicking at goal. Can see Madigan retaining the bench spot if Sexton returns v France but Keatley has shown he can do a good job if and when he's required.
4. Simon Zebo on second viewing had a fantastic game and was obviously given a job to do by Schmidt to help take the pressure of Keatley. The amount of times he came in as first receiver was very high. He used the ball really well and in the second half put in some great passes out wide. The one for Payne in particular was amazing. I'll throw a prediction out there and suggest he might be given an opportunity in the centres in the summer WC warm up matches.
5. Ian Henderson. Beast.

can't wait for France now.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:32 am

A lot of mixed responses to this in the media.

I thought it was exactly the start we needed and a very good opening away win against Italy when they are toughest to take on.

The first half was pretty poor - tactically it was obvious the plan was to kick chase and keep Italy pegged in their own territory but the execution wasn't great -Keatley had a nervy first 40 but settled down in the second.

I think the second half was pretty good - we upped the tempo and Italy couldn't live with the pace.  

The attack will worry Joe a bit and the handling wasn't great but I think to concede only 3 points away from home, show how well drilled our defence is and how little penalties we are conceding at the the breakdown.

The set piece was ok too. Another try would have been nice to stretch the PD but I think realistically we won't lift the title with 4 wins this year, given the fixtures.  

Individually thought Henshaw looked strong again and there was some nice interplay in the second half between him, Payne and Zebo. The back row did ok although we need Heaslip and O'Brien back to give us a bit more firepower and physicality. Murray was my motm and Henderson had a big impact when he came on. Keatley did well all things considered but we need Sexton back badly for the next 2 games as he blows hot and cold.

England have thrown the gauntlet down and Scotland look much improved but I think if Sexton returns, we'll have a bit more cutting edge, and France look very beatable.

If we get through that then the game against England will decide the title I think, although Scotland will beat a few teams this year, probably starting with Wales next week.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:20 am

A couple of things that need to change for the French game:

1) Boss can not be in the 23.
2) We simply must reduce our errors as we are not a team that attack particularly well. We need to be clinical. Should have had a try against Italy by halftime.
3) Our breakdown work needs to be considerably sharper.

Things that need to continue:

1) Our lineout needs to remain dominant.
2) Our discipline needs to stay very high.

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5