The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Wales sack Gatland and the coaching staff

+30
gboycottnut1
lostinwales
BlueNote
beshocked
damage_13
LondonTiger
Hammersmith harrier
funnyExiledScot
Gwlad
glamorganalun
nlpnlp
Shifty
GavinDragon
The Saint
thomh
TightHEAD
Mr Bounce
Notch
JDizzle
Biltong
doctor_grey
majesticimperialman
The Fourth Lion
quinsforever
bedfordwelsh
marty2086
TJ
kingjohn7
Steffan
34 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Poll

Should Wales sack Gatland and the coaching staff Vote_lcap11%Should Wales sack Gatland and the coaching staff Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 6 ]
Should Wales sack Gatland and the coaching staff Vote_lcap43%Should Wales sack Gatland and the coaching staff Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 23 ]
Should Wales sack Gatland and the coaching staff Vote_lcap46%Should Wales sack Gatland and the coaching staff Vote_rcap 46% 
[ 25 ]

Total Votes : 54

Should Wales sack Gatland and the coaching staff Empty Should Wales sack Gatland and the coaching staff

Post by Steffan Sun 08 Feb 2015, 11:33 am

Just a simple poll from a simple poster to see what people think

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Should Wales sack Gatland and the coaching staff Empty Re: Should Wales sack Gatland and the coaching staff

Post by Guest Sun 08 Feb 2015, 2:12 pm

Can you name decent replacements?

Back to top Go down

Should Wales sack Gatland and the coaching staff Empty Re: Should Wales sack Gatland and the coaching staff

Post by Steffan Sun 08 Feb 2015, 2:19 pm

IronMike wrote:Can you name decent replacements?
No

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Sun 08 Feb 2015, 2:23 pm

They should have been looking for a replacement for ages. If it transpires that North should have been taken off could they fire him without paying him a huge sum?

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 08 Feb 2015, 2:24 pm

You could have Scott Johnson back

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sun 08 Feb 2015, 2:28 pm

Declan Kidney?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 08 Feb 2015, 2:40 pm

Simple poll simple answer No.

It's to near the WC for a start but I have said for sometime that Howley and McBryde should go
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun 08 Feb 2015, 3:01 pm

Good job Roger offering gatland. 7yr contract extension 18 months ago...

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sun 08 Feb 2015, 3:09 pm

Gatland has been in office for a long time now and he has achieved taking Wales to a certain stage but they now seem to be stuck there. He doesn't seem able to take them to the next level.

They are a hostage to fortune at the World Cup, in the same group as England and Australia. One of those three (at least) won't make it through the group. It could just as easily be Wales as anybody else and if that happens, yet another RWC will have drifted by them.

I cannot suggest who Gatland's replacement should be...that's for the WRU to decide.... but I think that by the time the world cup is over, a shake up and fresh approach will be nigh.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 08 Feb 2015, 3:13 pm

My real fear is the WRU already know who Gatlands replacement will be, I am convinced Howley is being lined up to take over.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 08 Feb 2015, 3:42 pm

Like him or loathe (Gatland) that is he his going no where untill his contract is up.

Not with out a MASSIVE PAY OFF ANY WAY.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 08 Feb 2015, 3:48 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Like him or loathe (Gatland) that is he his going no where untill his contract is up.

maj,

I don't think he should but he should freshen up his coaches. I can to a degree understand his loyalty to Howley and Edwards given the Wasps link but he has no previous connections with McBryde who as a forwards coach has been pretty poor to say the least.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 08 Feb 2015, 3:54 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:Like him or loathe (Gatland) that is he his going no where untill his contract is up.

maj,

I don't think he should but he should freshen up his coaches.  I can to a degree understand his loyalty to Howley and Edwards given the Wasps link but he has no previous connections with McBryde who as a forwards coach has been pretty poor to say the least.

Bedford.

I do agree with you about freshing up his coaching staff. I just think that this kind of thread is laughable really. Wales loose their opening game and people are call for him to be sacked.

I do think he should be brought to task over the George North concussion debate....But this calling for him to be sacked is silly IMO. he is like royalty in Wales for what he as done for Wales since he took over.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 08 Feb 2015, 3:57 pm

Maj,

Any nation thinking of sacking their coach this close to the WC is mad IMO there just not enough time to bed a new coach in.

As for the North issue there seems to be a lot of heated but not much informed debates going on at the moment.  

He apparently passed all the tests they carry out these days and the medics said he was fit to carry on so surely you take the recommendations, after all from what I believe they have the final say now and nothing has come out saying Gatland over ruled the medics.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 08 Feb 2015, 4:12 pm

Who you gonna get to replace him? Make sure you can plus the situation before going elsewhere. I think SCW is available.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 08 Feb 2015, 4:13 pm

Can't saxk him now
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 08 Feb 2015, 4:16 pm

If Gatland went after the WC (he won't, and I'm not too fussed either way. He's done a hell of a lot for Welsh rugby) would Dai Young be in the frame? Has done a good job at Wasps and did a decent job at the Blues from what I remember? Was certainly only a few kicks away from a European final there.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 08 Feb 2015, 4:25 pm

JDizzle wrote:If Gatland went after the WC (he won't, and I'm not too fussed either way. He's done a hell of a lot for Welsh rugby) would Dai Young be in the frame? Has done a good job at Wasps and did a decent job at the Blues from what I remember? Was certainly only a few kicks away from a European final there.

JD,

As I mentioned earlier I am utterly convinced that Howley is being lined up to replace Gatland when he goes.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 08 Feb 2015, 4:55 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
JDizzle wrote:If Gatland went after the WC (he won't, and I'm not too fussed either way. He's done a hell of a lot for Welsh rugby) would Dai Young be in the frame? Has done a good job at Wasps and did a decent job at the Blues from what I remember? Was certainly only a few kicks away from a European final there.

JD,

As I mentioned earlier I am utterly convinced that Howley is being lined up to replace Gatland when he goes.

Yes, I agree. I wouldn't be shocked. Just trying to think of other feasible options. I don't actually think Howley would be terrible, but sometimes a management team reaches it's sell by date and you need a complete change of philosophy, which Howley won't bring.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 08 Feb 2015, 5:05 pm

I think Howley would be a complete disaster personally.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 08 Feb 2015, 5:08 pm

You can't have the same ideas for more than four years in international rugby. Whether or not you change your coaches your game plan needs to evolve and change. Wales shouldn't consider changing coaching staff until after the WC but it's hard to believe Gatland hasn't tried to freshen up the team and the game plan a bit more.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun 08 Feb 2015, 5:54 pm

You need to have a long think about where your team is individually compared to how you are performing, the idea that Gatland's side have stagnated and he can't take you any further is dependent on whether or not your players are actually good enough to go any further. The truth is that you don't have the depth or personnel to regularly compete with South Africa or New Zealand and you can't blame him for that. If you were to look at teams who have been at around your level for the Gatland era such as England, Ireland, France, Australia and Argentina you have not done too badly at all (except against Aus which has become a psychological issue). Think about where you were before he arrived, we've had a succession of urine poor coaches in Scotland since 2003 and it starts to show, I can't think of any coaches of a similar calibre who would want the Wales job atm.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 08 Feb 2015, 6:24 pm

I find it interesting as an England fan that after one game in this year's 6N that people are calling for Gatland's head. Lancaster's team fell apart in 2013, yet look what's happened. Almost had a GS last year but for a breakaway French try and improvements are continuing despite the injury list. He won't be going anywhere until after the World Cup - I have no doubt there is a performance related clause in his (expensive) contract which will mean the only way they can dismiss him is either if he does a Gareth Jenkins, or by mutual consent.

He hasn't done much wrong - Wales had their first win over SA in 15 years (and only their 2nd ever) and despite the bogey team of Australia continuing to feature in the "L" column, they haven't done any worse than England in the Autumn Internationals. He has a victorious Lions tour under his belt and whilst he hasn't exactly got much of a Plan B with the way his team works, there have been some impressive results. With a bit of luck I can see them progressing out of the World Cup group along with England.

One game does not make him a rubbish coach, and I am surprised at those calling for his head.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun 08 Feb 2015, 6:32 pm

its too late for this RWC obviously. But wales, in spite of their very talented players, especialy the back division, have become incredibly predictable and limited. Gatland had a good idea and vision that the rest of the rugby world has now more than caught up with.

it was insanity to give him a seven year contract extension. all that guaranteed was a huge payout to Gatland after the more than reasonable chance of Wales getting eliminated at the group stage in RWC, and him getting sacked then.

Dont think Howley is the answer though. Welshmen dont survive long as head coach of the Welsh team. the rivalries and bitterness run too deep between club and union.

But i think there would be plenty of coaches, loads, who would want the Wales job post Gatland, given the talent available in Welsh backline. These coaches would back themselves in their ability to make more of the biggar/roberts/davies/north/cuthbert/1/2P/williams backbone than Gats has done recently.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 08 Feb 2015, 6:41 pm

Gareth Thomas.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sun 08 Feb 2015, 6:51 pm

If Scotland 18 months ago managed to get Vern Cotter then I'm sure Wales, with recent 6N wins and successful Lions tourists, would have plenty of top-level applicants. I don't necessarily agree with the idea that coaching teams periodically need freshening up in personnel terms though. The All Blacks had Henry and Smith for ages, while Hansen has been there for over ten years. Wales beat SA last time out so I wouldn't panic yet.

EDIT: spelling

Last edited by thomh on Sun 08 Feb 2015, 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun 08 Feb 2015, 7:01 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:I find it interesting as an England fan that after one game in this year's 6N that people are calling for Gatland's head. Lancaster's team fell apart in 2013, yet look what's happened. Almost had a GS last year but for a breakaway French try and improvements are continuing despite the injury list. He won't be going anywhere until after the World Cup - I have no doubt there is a performance related clause in his (expensive) contract which will mean the only way they can dismiss him is either if he does a Gareth Jenkins, or by mutual consent.

He hasn't done much wrong - Wales had their first win over SA in 15 years (and only their 2nd ever) and despite the bogey team of Australia continuing to feature in the "L" column, they haven't done any worse than England in the Autumn Internationals. He has a victorious Lions tour under his belt and whilst he hasn't exactly got much of a Plan B with the way his team works, there have been some impressive results. With a bit of luck I can see them progressing out of the World Cup group along with England.

One game does not make him a rubbish coach, and I am surprised at those calling for his head.
do you think this is the first time anyone has questioned Gatland and Gatball?

Wales have done far worse than England in the AIs. england have wins against NZ and 3 out of 4 vs Aus.

the question should be whether a different coach can make more of the resources Welsh rugby has to offer. And i think the answer for quite some time now has been clearly yes.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 08 Feb 2015, 7:03 pm

thomh wrote:If Scotland 18 months ago managed to get Vern Cotter then I'm sure Wales, with recent 6N wins and successful Lions tourists, would have plenty of top-level applicants. I don't necessarily agree with the idea that coaching teams periodically need freshening up in personal terms though. The All Blacks had Henry and Smith for ages, while Hansen has been there for over ten years. Wales beat SA last time out so I woudn't panic yet.

You win some and lose some. If Ireland can get a great degree of consistency then I expect Wales too. So if the occasion calls for it we need to change. I believe our team and players are still very effective, but need to be more consistent.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun 08 Feb 2015, 7:31 pm

Danny Wilson - forwards

Darren Edwards - backs

Gatland and Edwards to stay

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 08 Feb 2015, 7:33 pm

Jesus Christ Wales beat South Africa and lose a home game to England and half of the people in the poll want Gatlands head. He's the best coach in the world and there is no coach available who is even close to his talents.

Wales have lost to England before, and we'll lose to them again. Considering their depth of talent, the amount of players they have at their disposal it's a minor miracle we beat them at all. The amount of money the English clubs have ANY young player who makes the break through into an Aviva Premiership team is a quality player that would walk into any Welsh regional squad.

I'll be honest I really fancied us to beat them on Friday but it didn't happen there's no need to panic though. Short of a Six Nations whitewash AND elimination at the pool stages of the world cup I can't see Gatland going anywhere unless the All Blacks want him. I'm pretty confident Wales will at least beat Scotland and Italy this year so Gatland need not worry to be honest.

Besides he is going to have a lot of rebuilding to do after the World Cup because Gethin Jenkins, Paul James and Mike Phillips will probably retire, while Luke Charteris and Richard Hibbard may retire also. so either way he is going to have to blood a few players.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 08 Feb 2015, 7:47 pm

best coach in the world - ridiculous.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 08 Feb 2015, 7:49 pm

GavinDragon wrote:Danny Wilson - forwards

Darren Edwards - backs

Gatland and Edwards to stay

Wilson yes.

Darren Edwards Christ no.

Gatland and Edwards to stay yes....but be open to doing some things differently.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by nlpnlp Sun 08 Feb 2015, 7:54 pm

Gatland and Edwards to stay yes....but be open to doing some things differently.

Neither have any interest in doing anything differently. You keep Gatland you keep Gatland ball.

nlpnlp

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 08 Feb 2015, 7:55 pm

Shifty wrote:Jesus Christ Wales beat South Africa and lose a home game to England and half of the people in the poll want Gatlands head.  He's the best coach in the world and there is no coach available who is even close to his talents.  

Wales have lost to England before, and we'll lose to them again.  Considering their depth of talent, the amount of players they have at their disposal it's a minor miracle we beat them at all.  The amount of money the English clubs have ANY young player who makes the break through into an Aviva Premiership team is a quality player that would walk into any Welsh regional squad.  

I'll be honest I really fancied us to beat them on Friday but it didn't happen there's no need to panic though.  Short of a Six Nations whitewash AND elimination at the pool stages of the world cup I can't see Gatland going anywhere unless the All Blacks want him.  I'm pretty confident Wales will at least beat Scotland and Italy this year so Gatland need not worry to be honest.  

Besides he is going to have a lot of rebuilding to do after the World Cup because Gethin Jenkins, Paul James and Mike Phillips will probably retire, while Luke Charteris and Richard Hibbard may retire also.  so either way he is going to have to blood a few players.

Should we be okay with losing our home games though? I don't think we should, especially to 6 Nations opponents. I also don't believe him to be the best coach in the world...but he certainly is one of them. So that's a good position to be in I guess.

We need not worry because we will at least beat Scotland and Italy? That's a bit of a loser attitude. I'm sure team Wales want to win all their remaining games.

Yes those players are pretty much retired already. The rebuilding should have started in shape or form over a year ago, but they're still in the team when there is probably better, younger players playing in Wales. The result of not doing so is a loss.

I think your post kind of sums up what is wrong with the average fan; delusion.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 08 Feb 2015, 7:56 pm

nlpnlp wrote:Gatland and Edwards to stay yes....but be open to doing some things differently.

Neither have any interest in doing anything differently.  You keep Gatland you keep Gatland ball.  

It works well, sometimes. We have seen variation before and it looked pretty good. Friday night was certainly a step backwards and Gatland is supposedly holding back the changes until the RWC warm-ups.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun 08 Feb 2015, 8:05 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:My real fear is the WRU already know who Gatlands replacement will be, I am convinced Howley is being lined up to take over.

Correct, Howley will take over and in fairness we have gone backwards since Gatland returned from the lions trip. Howley had the balls to bring back R Jones after being taken appart against Ireland two years ago that would not happen with Gatland in charge.

Looking at the U20's last night we could do with switching the coaches with the senior side the only problem is the line out, scrum and skills will suffer in the U20's, maybe not they are our future.

I voted for a change as everybody else is moving forward, we are standing still and suffering the same issues listed above as well as no plan B.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 08 Feb 2015, 8:05 pm

Wales did beat SA in November, the truth is they should have beaten them twice last year, Argentina should have beaten us last year, Ireland beat us last year.

Beating SA last year wasn't that much of an achievement, we were shyte.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun 08 Feb 2015, 8:10 pm

Assuming Wales will beat Scotland is very different this year from previous years. France didnt score a try against them. Glasgow in HC conceded the least tries of any team and i would argue they were in the toughest group.

This is no pushover Scotland, and if Wales think so, then they will lose. wonder whether that might be enough to shake the conviction of the believers in gatball?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Sun 08 Feb 2015, 8:22 pm

Its not because we lost, plenty of people have thought he should have been replaced awhile ago.
Personally I don't really rate him. No doubt he did an on job but wales havnt done very well considering the talent he had(compared to before). We have consistently lost to SH teams under him.
The world cup- yeah we did OK but really all we did is beat ireland, a good result but not that impressive, and samoa. Lost to SA and France.
Main issue I've had with him is blaming individual players in the media, awj liam Williams now Webb. By all means drill them behind closed doors but not publicly. Coward and pathetic leader

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 08 Feb 2015, 8:24 pm

quinsforever wrote:Assuming Wales will beat Scotland is very different this year from previous years. France didnt score a try against them. Glasgow in HC conceded the least tries of any team and i would argue they were in the toughest group.

This is no pushover Scotland, and if Wales think so, then they will lose. wonder whether that might be enough to shake the conviction of the believers in gatball?

Do Wales even think that though?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 08 Feb 2015, 8:46 pm

I know what he's up to…since we just beat SA it is now time to dominate the Southern hemisphere as we have down in 6 Nations since 2005, we'll beat NZ and Aus this year, at least once, but i expect we won't be able to beat a NH team anymore. it's all part of the Welsh management plan to urine off the fans and keep them on the permanent roller coaster of inconsistency that has become our lot.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun 08 Feb 2015, 8:47 pm

hopefully not saint. but i've read several comments here and in the media assuming the wins against scotland and italy.

so wales probably does think that, although the welsh 23 presumably are a bit more aware?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 08 Feb 2015, 8:56 pm

Oh dear, it's the final ignominy….suggest Wales are now vulnerable to Scotland and even Italy, the benchmark of real failure in the 6 Nations.

Based on what…when did Wales last lose to either side? It may be the fervent desire of some that Wales are now a spent force, about to implode in Edinburgh, but is a fantasy and about as predictable from some posters as Gatlandball.

What is much more likely is that England will put themselves into a position to win the 6 Nations, again, perhaps even with a Slam, but then squander it, again, and spend the next 11 months telling us how coming 2nd suggests consistency, which apparently is much more indicative of success in this fundamentally flawed 6 Nations competition, than winning it is.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun 08 Feb 2015, 9:18 pm

oh dear gwlad. you appear to be railing against thin air.

assume scotland are a walkover at your peril.

Scotalnd might have beaten the ABs had they had a bit more self belief come 65 mins. france couldnt score a try against them. glasgow have conceded least tries in the entire HC with a pool of Bath (who scored 5 away against toulouse!), Toulouse and Montepellier.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 08 Feb 2015, 9:23 pm

quinsforever wrote:oh dear gwlad. you appear to be railing against thin air.

assume scotland are a walkover at your peril.

Scotalnd might have beaten the ABs had they had a bit more self belief come 65 mins. france couldnt score a try against them. glasgow have conceded least tries in the entire HC with a pool of Bath (who scored 5 away against toulouse!), Toulouse and Montepellier.

Believing we will win does not assume we believe the Scots are a walkover. Attempting to polarize the issue that way indicates a bias that is hard to justify, unless it is based on a desire for Wales to lose.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun 08 Feb 2015, 9:31 pm

i was responding to an earlier post which assume the scotland and italy games were in the bag already. as your post also did.

just because you've beaten the last 10 years or whatever doesnt mean its going to continue.. you have to pay attention to the details of their players and results under their new coaching setup.

i want wales to win. grew up 100m from CAP.

but gatland is holding wales back now.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 08 Feb 2015, 9:38 pm

Oh look - its the "you hate Wales brigade" grow up FFS!

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 08 Feb 2015, 9:39 pm

If Wales lose to Scotland Gatland should be sacked immediately

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 08 Feb 2015, 9:49 pm

quinsforever wrote:i was responding to an earlier post which assume the scotland and italy games were in the bag already. as your post also did.

just because you've beaten the last 10 years or whatever doesnt mean its going to continue.. you have to pay attention to the details of their players and results under their new coaching setup.

i want wales to win. grew up 100m from CAP.

but gatland is holding wales back now.

I don't disagree, this week.

In 2 weeks i might if we beat Scots and French which likely we can/will do. point is as a welshie you become used to the inconsistency, the feast or famine. Our biggest failing is consistency, something, in terms of 6N placing at least, England does not suffer from.

Gatland is the most successful 6 Nations coach, period. Point is he engineers huge victories, when the week before we have often played like puff less dragons.

I think much more responsibility should be placed on the players performances or lack thereof. And in this case lets credit England for a simply wonderful performance, especially that of Ford who i think is world class. And some more sacred cows need slaughtering in Cardiff. North and Cuthbert need a rest, lets bring back a nippy winger or at least have some semblance of creativity out there. North can sub his way back into contention.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 08 Feb 2015, 9:52 pm

quinsforever wrote:hopefully not saint. but i've read several comments here and in the media assuming the wins against scotland and italy.

so wales probably does think that, although the welsh 23 presumably are a bit more aware?

I don't think I've read anything too bad. I'm confident of beating both home and away these days, I guess that makes me arrogant and delusional or something. Gwlad actually picked up on one or two points in those posts. There seems to be a few posters assuming we're going to lose to both teams....based on a loss to a good team (England). England also happen to be a big step up from Scotland and Italy so I can't understand the logic there. The team won't be taking any opponent lightly, but losing to either would indicate a huge backwards step.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next