The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Better Call Saul

+10
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Hero
bluestonevedder
ONETWOFOREVER
Nakatomi Plaza
liverbnz
Crimey
Rowley
westisbest
incontinentia
14 posters

Go down

Better Call Saul Empty Better Call Saul

Post by incontinentia Tue 10 Feb 2015, 1:16 pm

Biggest season premiere in US cable history...but is it any good??

Reviews are pretty good so far, have any of you folks seen it?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Better Call Saul Empty Re: Better Call Saul

Post by westisbest Tue 10 Feb 2015, 1:18 pm

Never heard of it.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 10 Feb 2015, 1:32 pm

Watched the first episode. Definitely worth watching and sticking with. Saul was always one of the better characters in Breaking Bad and the first episode shows promise.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 10 Feb 2015, 1:38 pm

I enjoyed Breaking Bad, but thought it was hugely overrated, despite it not being made for Netflix, it felt like it was, with very little happening on an episode-to-episode basis it seemed like it was developed for binge watching. I would never have had the patience to stick with it had I been watching week to week, year to year. 

I wouldn't have likely been interested in watching a spin off if it wasn't Saul, as he was my favourite character in the series, funny but with enough scope and acting ability to become serious. So I was interested in this spin off.

Probably the best thing about the first episode was just how good it looked, the direction and cinematography were excellent and I'm not somebody who even particularly notices things like that in TV or film. Bob Odenkirk is really stretching himself out and is hitting all the right marks and this could end up being a career revival in the same way it was for Bryan Cranston. It also looks and feels separate enough from Breaking Bad to stand up on its own but similar enough to feel familiar.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 10 Feb 2015, 2:01 pm

I hear Tuco made an appearance?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue 10 Feb 2015, 6:20 pm

Tuco and Mike. That's when is registered that it was a prequel for me.

Enjoyed the first one, not what I expected, but good. You'd know it was written and produced by the same people that were involved in BB but I think that can only be a good thing. Saul, or Jimmy, has plenty of room for development as a character and I think it'll be interesting to watch.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Tue 10 Feb 2015, 6:26 pm

I enjoyed it. Loved seeing Tuco at the end, but figured it would be him as soon as the lady started speaking Spanish.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Jimmy's relationship with Chuck pans out.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 10 Feb 2015, 9:14 pm

Think the second episode wasn't quite as good as the first, but still entertaining. Think the fact that Tuco was involved in it heavily gave it more of a Breaking Bad feel than the first episode had.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 12 Feb 2015, 10:05 am

Can you guys shut up please I have not seen it yet.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 12 Feb 2015, 11:09 am

Then why come on the forum OneTwo? 

It's obvious what's going to be discussed here.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 12 Feb 2015, 1:26 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Can you guys shut up please I have not seen it yet.

I don't understand why you would come into the thread then?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 12 Feb 2015, 1:38 pm

I wonder what may be in the thread entitled 'Better Call Saul'?
I'm really interested in the programme having been a fan of Breaking Bad but I don't want to know anything at all about what's happened in the episodes shown so far. Surely those in the thread will not be talking about that...

picard

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 12 Feb 2015, 7:24 pm

There is a fortitude thread on here. I have got them on my planner but have not watched them yet. I have found not going on that thread an extremely effective way of avoiding spoilers

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Feb 2015, 7:27 pm

I've found that going onto a thread and giving away storylines for films and tv programmes for DIFFERENT films and tv programmes is a great way to wind people up.

Anyone watched "Backstrom" yet? Quirking comedy/drama starring that guy who' been in stuff and you'll know his face but will be f*cked if you can remember his bloody name.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 02 Apr 2015, 8:10 am

Hero wrote:I wonder what may be in the thread entitled 'Better Call Saul'?
I'm really interested in the programme having been a fan of Breaking Bad but I don't want to know anything at all about what's happened in the episodes shown so far. Surely those in the thread will not be talking about that...

picard

Its been fantastic so far Hero....its one of them where you don't have to have watched BB it watch this but it does help.

Usually show spin offs are no where near as good as the original but this is on par in my opinion. As Saul what a bit of comic relief in BB, I thought this could have turn into a more of comic type show. Its shot in the same way as BB and its also as dark.

The fella who plays Mike (same one as in BB) is a fantastic actor as is Saul (or Jimmy McGill as he is known as so far).

Last episode of season 1 is next Tuesday and they are all on Netflix thumbsup

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 02 Apr 2015, 2:15 pm

Mike made me giggle like a schoolgirl in the episode on Tuesday. He's cool as a cucumber when on a job
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 02 Apr 2015, 2:30 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
Hero wrote:I wonder what may be in the thread entitled 'Better Call Saul'?

picard

Its been fantastic so far Hero....its one of them where you don't have to have watched BB it watch this but it does help.

Usually show spin offs are no where near as good as the original but this is on par in my opinion. As Saul what a bit of comic relief in BB, I thought this could have turn into a more of comic type show. Its shot in the same way as BB and its also as dark.

The fella who plays Mike (same one as in BB) is a fantastic actor as is Saul (or Jimmy McGill as he is known as so far).

Last episode of season 1 is next Tuesday and they are all on Netflix thumbsup

I was being sarky in my comment!
I do actually love BCS, up to date with it myself, really felt for Jimmy this week.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 02 Apr 2015, 2:34 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Mike made me giggle like a schoolgirl in the episode on Tuesday. He's cool as a cucumber when on a job

Haha 'Uncle Fester' is a 'G' thumbsup

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 09 Apr 2015, 9:44 am

Anyone catch the final episode?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:07 am

I got back from holiday yesterday, so binged watched both Pimiento and Marco. Pimiento was my favourite episode so far, so I think watching the last episode straight away compromised my enjoyment a little bit.

It was a perfectly fine episode. Jimmy breakdown when calling Bingo, particularly the Chicago sunroof story was great, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the rest of the series.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:46 pm

Enjoyed the last ep but wasnt blown away by it. Just hope they don't keep us waiting for a year or so for the 2nd series
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Fri 10 Apr 2015, 12:06 pm

First series was fine. Felt more like an appetizer but nothing wrong with that when it's a Breaking Bad spin-off. If it wasn't then I suppose we could say it was bit underwhelming, but then if it wasn't a spin-off I'm sure the writing would have been different.

We know where he ends up and now we know where he started. Looking forward to the journey now.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Apr 2015, 5:24 pm

The finale didn't feel like a finale, I really enjoyed the season but having binge watched Breaking Bad and only enjoyed it because I could binge watch I feel like Better Call Saul suffers from the same problems which is each episodes for me are poorly edited, they spend too much time on the wrong things.

I thought the first series was good, but think it was written as if they were never going to get another season. The final episode could easily have served as the end of the series as a whole. Two many threads were started and picked up, we had Tuco, Nacho, the Kettlemans, HHM, Chuck, Mike, Marco, Sandpiper and they're just the ones I can remember off of the top of my head and whilst it's great having lots of subplots and different characters I think the show lost focus and before you had chance to care about one character or one issue, it was already over. 

I'm hoping that it will get better in the second season, it will have realised what works and what doesn't and Jimmy will be more Saul, which I felt there wasn't enough of in this season.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 04 Mar 2016, 12:30 am

This is back on. Anyone watching?

The first 3 episodes have been solid.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Mar 2016, 9:11 am

This thread's over a year old and I still haven't bothered with this show. I watched two episodes and was bored rigid. I have neither the time or inclination to give it a go either. I'll stick to the far superior Blacklist which at least had the decency to be interesting almost immediately

Back to top Go down

Post by bumble Wed 16 Mar 2016, 10:02 am

It's ok. Last week's episode was very good, and a call back to breaking bad. But it's a totally different show. So don't expect it to live up to breaking bad levels of entertainment.

bumble

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 16 Mar 2016, 10:14 am

My wife's really enjoying it and there's occasional moments where I'm rooting for Saul but in general there's not really many characters I'm getting into, I think I'd be more interested if the show was centered on Mike.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoonercat Thu 14 Apr 2016, 2:25 pm

I've enjoyed it so far. It can be slow going in places but it always keep you interested. Mike looks a lot older than he did in BB and doesn't appear to be very mobile which is a bit hard to ignore, considering this is set before BB.

Hoonercat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down