The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Top Ten Most Exciting Fighters

+22
JabMachineMK2
Derbymanc
3fingers
KO-KING
Gentleman01
TopHat24/7
Krash85
AlexHuckerby
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Hammersmith harrier
Strongback
John Bloody Wayne
Dipper Brown
ShahenshahG
rob-glos
kingraf
Coxy001
milkyboy
TRUSSMAN66
Rodney
ONETWOFOREVER
hazharrison
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Current Top Ten Most Exciting Fighters Empty Current Top Ten Most Exciting Fighters

Post by hazharrison Thu 12 Feb 2015, 4:32 pm

1. Gennady Golovkin
2. Nicholas Walters
3. Vasyl Lomachenko
4. Sergey Kovalev
5. Roman Gonzalez
6. Lucas Matthysse
7. Ruslan Provodnikov
8. Naoya Inoue
9. Carl Froch
10. Deontay Wilder

Any glaring omissions? Pacquiao? Khan? Beterbiev? Andy Lee?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Current Top Ten Most Exciting Fighters Empty Re: Current Top Ten Most Exciting Fighters

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 12 Feb 2015, 4:42 pm

Garcia?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Current Top Ten Most Exciting Fighters Empty Re: Current Top Ten Most Exciting Fighters

Post by Rodney Thu 12 Feb 2015, 4:46 pm

Pacquiao surely ?

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 12 Feb 2015, 4:46 pm

I like watching Adonis Stevenson...........Flamboyant and always looks like he can end something at anytime....

Prefer to watch him than Kovo If honest not that there is much in it.........Not sure I'd want to pick a winner between the two of them either..

Always like watching Frampton too..........Reminds me of a young Cotto...........

If he hasn't retired Serg Martinez has always been fun.............

But yep I'd gladly watch any on your list..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Feb 2015, 4:55 pm

DAVID HAYE?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 12 Feb 2015, 5:12 pm

beterbiev.. the latest of the eastern bangers?

He's a bit crude, but comes to fight.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 12 Feb 2015, 5:36 pm

DAVE667 wrote:DAVID HAYE?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

He said exciting. And fighters.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 12 Feb 2015, 5:42 pm

Locally, Johnny Muller always comes to brawl... Rather worrying how many wars he's been in. Won his last fight 8-2 on two of the cards and looked like he'd been life and death with Lerena. Brillant fight, mind, if horribly overpriced.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Thu 12 Feb 2015, 5:45 pm

Coxy001 wrote:

And current

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 12 Feb 2015, 5:48 pm

rob-glos wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:

And current
And Top 10 and Most

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 12 Feb 2015, 6:44 pm

I like watching Andy Lee. He's obviously a level below the elite in terms of boxing ability and tends to lack a bit at world level (though he's no mug). What I really like is that wounded animal thing he has where he comes out swinging when hurt, he's really dangerous.

Saw the J Jackson fight live and thought he was headed for a hiding to nothing before pulling out that sickening shot! The undercard was ropey that day so the arena hadn't really filled up but those who were there were all off their seats!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Feb 2015, 7:00 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:
rob-glos wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:

And current
And Top 10 and Most
Slowly slowly catchee monkey, boys.

You wait and see when Wlad ducks Wilder, Fury thinks of a reason not to fight him and Haye has to step in to save HW boxing from itself once again. It's written in the stars, the prophecy foretold will come to pass and all ye disbelievers shall sit slack jawed/bowelled and marvel at what you have witnessed.

Or something....

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 12 Feb 2015, 7:15 pm

Although I love GGG's style I'm not sure about number one. He's exciting, no doubt, but hes also paitient and methodical.

Provodnikov has the aggression, without civilisation, same with Matthysse.

Khan is immensely exciting when being foolish, due to his explosive strengths and shaky weaknesses, but when he fulfills his potential I find him dull. Here's my list:

Klitscko
Mayweather
Hopkins
Ward
Rigonduex
Trout
Dawson
Alexander
Cleverly
Degale until recently

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Feb 2015, 7:21 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Although I love GGG's style I'm not sure about number one. He's exciting, no doubt, but hes also paitient and methodical.

Provodnikov has the aggression, without civilisation, same with Matthysse.

Khan is immensely exciting when being foolish, due to his explosive strengths and shaky weaknesses, but when he fulfills his potential I find him dull. Here's my list:

Klitscko
Mayweather
Hopkins
Ward
Rigonduex
Trout
Dawson
Alexander
Cleverly
Degale until recently
No room for Fury on there?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 12 Feb 2015, 7:44 pm

I've probably rewatched Fury upper cutting himself more times than any other punch, to be fair.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 12 Feb 2015, 8:06 pm

Kovalev of the bangers.

I've rarely seen Cotto in a bad fight and he's got skills the Eastern European mob lack.

There's a real buzz around Wilder now.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 12 Feb 2015, 8:49 pm

I'm fairly sure Vasyl Lomachenko is from Eastern Europe, and his skills more than match up to Cotto's.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 12 Feb 2015, 9:07 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:I'm fairly sure Vasyl Lomachenko is from Eastern Europe, and his skills more than match up to Cotto's.

Lomachenko "more" that matches up to Cotto skill wise?

Cotto is a very skilled and tested fighter. Loma has to do a bit more than lose to the only semi decent fighter he has faced and then take a few gimme fights.

Solida extinguished the hype around Loma.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 12 Feb 2015, 9:34 pm

Gary Russell jnr is garbage isn't he, only possesses possibly the fastest hands in boxing right now.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 12 Feb 2015, 9:49 pm

Erm maidana anyone

Who didn't like his fights against floyd, broner, soto karass, lopez, khan, ortiz and even morales

His aggressive style power coupled with hos vulnerabilities make him very entertaining

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 12 Feb 2015, 9:54 pm

Strongback wrote:
John Bloody Wayne wrote:I'm fairly sure Vasyl Lomachenko is from Eastern Europe, and his skills more than match up to Cotto's.

Cotto is a very skilled and tested fighter.  Loma has to do a bit more than lose to the only semi decent fighter he has faced and then take a few gimme fights.

Salido didn't really affect the buzz around Lomachenko - he blatantly cheated by coming in over the limit and walked on hell of a fine line with the low blows. Lomachenko was unlucky that night but still looks an absolute star.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 12 Feb 2015, 9:55 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Erm maidana anyone

Who didn't like his fights against floyd, broner, soto karass, lopez, khan, ortiz and even morales

His aggressive style power coupled with hos vulnerabilities make him very entertaining

Good shout.

That Broner beat down was majestic. Some of the memes that came out afterwards still crack me up.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 12 Feb 2015, 10:16 pm

I love watching Josesito Lopez. Gives it his absolute all, usually not quite good enough, but love an underdog.

The way he fought against Maidana was absolutely heroic, tried to box, was being slowly beaten down by a clubbing Maidana, then just went to try and outwar Maidana and almost got it his way before being chopped down.

Love watching GGG.

Walters looks like he's gonna be fun.

Have a soft spot for Cotto.

Generally think Andy Lee is a good watch.

Maidana is pretty much never in a bad fight.

You've gotta love watching Salido.

When Mikey Garcia finally fights again, I absolutely love watching him box.

Crawford looks like he's gonna be a lot of fun.

Mares also.

God actually there's a heck of a lot of fighters.

And I really can't help finding Joshua fun to watch.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 12 Feb 2015, 11:55 pm

Can't believe it took so long for Maidana's name to come up!

and yeah, Loma losing a split to one of the most difficult tricky old pros about in your second fight really sucks.

I like Rosado in a similar way alex likes josesito lopez.

Broner's pretty entertaining himself at times.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 13 Feb 2015, 2:18 am

hazharrison wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Cotto is a very skilled and tested fighter.  Loma has to do a bit more than lose to the only semi decent fighter he has faced and then take a few gimme fights.

Salido didn't really affect the buzz around Lomachenko - he blatantly cheated by coming in over the limit and walked on hell of a fine line with the low blows. Lomachenko was unlucky that night but still looks an absolute star.

I'd have to disagree. Lomachenko created more hype for a fighter entering the pro ranks than I can remember in many a year. He didn't look fantastic in his first fight and there were obvious flaws on display and he got hit a lot. Then Salido who was meant to fall over showed the young lad what pro boxing is about. Those two fights took the shine off Loma, well at least they did for me. He still has potential but he is far from the finished article. The way he side steps and turns after every combo is very predictable. It's only a matter of time before he gets his head taken off by a check hook.

His super cockiness didn't endear either.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 13 Feb 2015, 2:21 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Gary Russell jnr is garbage isn't he, only possesses possibly the fastest hands in boxing right now.

Sniper no sniping.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Krash85 Fri 13 Feb 2015, 10:00 am

Defiantly Khan he's rarely in a dull fight for what ever reasons. Pacquiao has to be in top 10 although his recent opposition have been poor he's still good to watch! I would also put in maidana with stevenson and kirland being close with broner (broner being for varies reasons)

Krash85

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 13 Feb 2015, 12:07 pm

Strongback wrote:

Love sacks.

Salido cheated and rough-housed his way through a fight that Loma only lost on inexperience. He clearly wasn't sure how aggressive to be or whether to go 12 - he only realised the answer to both these by the 11th and by then, depsite hammering Salido from then on, it was too late. He'd cake-walk a rematch.

Big fan of Cotto, but Loma is by far the more skilled and superior pure boxer.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 13 Feb 2015, 2:39 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Love sacks.

Salido cheated and rough-housed his way through a fight that Loma only lost on inexperience.  He clearly wasn't sure how aggressive to be or whether to go 12 - he only realised the answer to both these by the 11th and by then, depsite hammering Salido from then on, it was too late.  He'd cake-walk a rematch

Big fan of Cotto, but Loma is by far the more skilled and superior pure boxer.

Just another person who underrates Cotto's skills. If Cotto was psychological tougher and pushed on when it was really put up to him he would be the No.3 fighter of his generation.

Loma got beat because he underestimated pro boxing. I don't think we are looking at another Rigondeaux. He has time on his side though so can have no excuses if he doesn't develop into a P4P Top five fighter.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 13 Feb 2015, 2:54 pm

He'll never be a Rigo as he's a naturally more aggressive fighter, less focus on being untouchable.

But he's got superb footwork, head movement and shot variety/selection. Good (but unspectacular) power (bit like Cotto). Good (but unspectacular) handspeed (again a bit like Cotto).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman01 Fri 13 Feb 2015, 4:52 pm

I absolutely love watching Khan! I love his speed and combination punching, but also the fact that, due to his poor defence and (lack of) head movement, he's only ever one shot away from being in trouble. And when he does get caught, he just stands and trades! Like him or not, Khan delivers excitement.

Apart from Khan, I like a lot of the guys already mentioned; GGG, Cotto, Marquez, Loma, Matthysse, Froch etc.

Good shout on Frampton as well, whoever mentioned him.

As an aside, and whilst I agree entirely that Salido coming in so heavy and then proceeding to foul his way to a very narrow decision over Loma was distasteful, Salido is still also worthy of a mention on this thread. His fights are often very exciting and his match-up last year with that Thai fighter (to my discredit, I've forgotten his name) was an absolute stormer.

Gentleman01

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Fri 13 Feb 2015, 4:56 pm

no Order

GGG, Pac, JMM, Walters, Kovalev, Matthysse, Ruslan, Maidana, Khan, Froch, Cotto, Klitchsko if he keeps his Pulev form up

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 13 Feb 2015, 6:44 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:He'll never be a Rigo as he's a naturally more aggressive fighter, less focus on being untouchable.

But he's got superb footwork, head movement and shot variety/selection.  Good (but unspectacular) power (bit like Cotto). Good (but unspectacular) handspeed (again a bit like Cotto).

A lot of Lomachenko's footwork is fancy sidestepping designed to impresses amateur judges.

The subtle and exemplary footwork of Terrence Crawford is leagues ahead of Loma.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 13 Feb 2015, 7:07 pm

Also check out Cotto's footwork when he was forced to dance because of a bad cut in the Clottey fight. Not too shabby at all.

Cotto can fight off the back foot but chooses to brawl. With a better tactical brain and an ability to keep his head right when it gets tough Cotto would be one of the best of his generation.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 13 Feb 2015, 8:31 pm

KO-KING wrote:no Order

GGG, Pac, JMM, Walters,  Kovalev, Matthysse, Ruslan, Maidana, Khan, Froch, Cotto, Klitchsko if he keeps his Pulev form up

I'd only whisper it but I'm with you on Klitschko!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman01 Fri 13 Feb 2015, 11:47 pm

Cotto is already one of the best of his generation.

Gentleman01

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 14 Feb 2015, 1:40 am

Gentleman01 wrote:Cotto is already one of the best of his generation.

I should have qualified........No.3 directly behind Mayweather and Pacquiao if he didn't have the mental flaws. The skills as I said are all there.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sat 14 Feb 2015, 1:40 pm

hazharrison wrote:
KO-KING wrote:no Order

GGG, Pac, JMM, Walters,  Kovalev, Matthysse, Ruslan, Maidana, Khan, Froch, Cotto, Klitchsko if he keeps his Pulev form up

I'd only whisper it but I'm with you on Klitschko!

Klitchsko when he wants can be exciting - as long as it isn't on a laptop or a small screen, he isn't that bad - the pulev fight was FOTY contender

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 14 Feb 2015, 8:35 pm

Strongback wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:He'll never be a Rigo as he's a naturally more aggressive fighter, less focus on being untouchable.

But he's got superb footwork, head movement and shot variety/selection.  Good (but unspectacular) power (bit like Cotto). Good (but unspectacular) handspeed (again a bit like Cotto).

A lot of Lomachenko's footwork is fancy sidestepping designed to impresses amateur judges.

The subtle and exemplary footwork of Terrence Crawford is leagues ahead of Loma.

Stringy,  you're a rucking idiot. Since when  has lateral movement got you points in a computer scoring system.

He slips/steps outside, rather than inside, to create an angle and avoid a counter.

You're a first class fraud mate.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 14 Feb 2015, 8:54 pm

3fingers wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Stringy,  you're a rucking idiot. Since when  has lateral movement got you points in a computer scoring system.

He slips/steps outside, rather than inside, to create an angle and avoid a counter.

You're a first class fraud mate.

Even with three fingers the evidence is you are a five knuckle shuffler.

Lomachenko's footwork is over exaggerated. In amateur boxing good defence and turning your man are well respected particularly when a light jab can be a scoring punch. It's like fencing. The pro game is different. The first time Loma fights a top world class he won't get away with over exaggerated side stepping after every combo. A good fighter will check hook his head off.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 14 Feb 2015, 9:37 pm

Absolute bullpap, for the most part, for years, the only thing that scored in amateur boxing was a well placed solid single backhand.

Amateur boxing has changed dramatically recently, workrate and aggression are now much more highly regarded.

One last point, sublime skill, whether you're an amateur or pro, is appreciated by most.

In underselling lomo's technical prowess you're obviously attention seeking in your attempt to be controversial.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 14 Feb 2015, 10:04 pm

You're a fraud, simple as. Do you do realise what a ridiculous statement "a good fighter will check hook his head off" is? The disparity in skill, between two fighters, for a check hook to land has to be enormous, and even so, its normally only effective against aggressive one dimensional fighters who come foward in on a straight lines.... It is certainly not a punch which is going to land  'all night' against a skilled fighter. Like you are implying. 

BTW, who are these 'good fighters' who will consistently land a check hook (a lead front hook, typically combined with a pivot) against lominchenko?

Like I say, you are a fraud.

Last edited by 3fingers on Sat 14 Feb 2015, 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 14 Feb 2015, 10:07 pm

Loma won his amateur medals under the old system.

I watched fighters like Kenny Egan win an Olympic medal based on bouncing around on his toes and never landing much more than jabs and the odd straight right. He never sat down on a shot. He'd get murdered in the pro's.

Amatuer fighting was all about perception. Solid body shots didn't register with any judge. The flash guy who could land a few clean shots scored regardless of power.

As I said further up the thread Crawford is the epitome of quality pro footwork. The obvious stuff Lomachenko does doesn't come close.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 14 Feb 2015, 10:12 pm

Kenny Egan held his feet, and at least sat down on his shot more than Tony Jefferies while beating him.  

And we are talking about a multiple Olympic,  world, and European champion. ..not Kenny Egan.

Last edited by 3fingers on Sat 14 Feb 2015, 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 14 Feb 2015, 10:14 pm

And no one has suggested amateurs sat down on their shots (compared to pros) during computer scoring.

Last edited by 3fingers on Sat 14 Feb 2015, 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 14 Feb 2015, 10:15 pm

Fingers, there's a good reason why there is one and only one check hook knockout anyone could think of because as you say it takes sublime skill against a brawler. A check hook wouldn't land on Lomachenko in a million years, everyone could see his talent in the amateurs, losing to Salido in his second fight means nothing.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 14 Feb 2015, 10:16 pm

You express yourself better and more to the point than me HH.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 15 Feb 2015, 12:42 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Fingers, there's a good reason why there is one and only one check hook knockout anyone could think of because as you say it takes sublime skill against a brawler. A check hook wouldn't land on Lomachenko in a million years, everyone could see his talent in the amateurs, losing to Salido in his second fight means nothing.

I can remember RJJ throwing lots of check hooks.

Salido was catching Lomachenko flush as he was doing his amateur side stepping. A better fighter would exploit Loma's obvious and over utilised side step and spin away.

Is the Dark Lord telling you to disagree with everything I write.

You talk big but you know nothing about fighting. You've never been in a gym in your life. It's easy to pick out who has trained and fought.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 15 Feb 2015, 9:46 am

Grow up for christ sake, it's always 'I've done this, you haven't', debate the point or shut the f*ck up.

Lomachenko is a highly skilled boxer in every department, the one person quick enough to exploit these imaginary weaknesses got taken apart but you've not seen the Russell fight have you.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 15 Feb 2015, 10:05 am

Now, I make no claims to being a guru on technique, far from it, but I was of the impression that a check hook was thrown with the front foot   As a pivot, so the back foot swings round with the momentum of the punch effectively creating a side step for the guy throwing it... Used almost exclusively against a guy rushing in.

To all intents and purposes a matador slipping to the side of the bull and sticking the knife in as it goes past.

How would lomachenko's sideways defensive moves leave him open to a punch thrown against guys lunging in?

As an aside, I never thought the floyd hatton punch was a textbook example... seemed more like a lead left hook, just timed as his opponent moved in, and he spun away afterwards, but like I said... I'm no expert .

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next