The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons v Connacht

+9
dragon4life
LeinsterFan4life
PenfroPete
Cardiff Dave
Luckless Pedestrian
GavinDragon
VinceWLB
The Saint
bedfordwelsh
13 posters

Go down

Dragons v Connacht Empty Dragons v Connacht

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 20 Feb 2015, 1:26 pm

Dragons team to face Connacht
Jason Tovey, Tom Prydie, Pat Leach, Jack Dixon, Hallam Amos, Dorian Jones, Jonathan Evans; Boris Stankovich, T. Rhys Thomas, Brok Harris, Andrew Coombs, Rynard Landman (c), James Thomas, Nic Cudd, Nick Crosswell.

Replacements: Rhys Buckley, Phil Price, Dan Way, Ian Gough, James Benjamin, Richie Rees, Ashley Smith, Matthew Pewtner.

Let's hope we can back up last weeks great win at the RDS with getting a good result this weekend and hope Treviso also do us a favour Fingers Crossed
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Dragons v Connacht Empty Re: Dragons v Connacht

Post by The Saint Fri 20 Feb 2015, 3:24 pm

We need this win, more than ever. We can overtake the Blues and they'll probably stay bottom placed region. We also need momentum going into the challenge cup quarter final against them. Good to see Stanko back in his rightful place.

Way and Benjamin on the bench are the worst replacements ever. I'd be willing to give the current U20s a shot.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Feb 2015, 3:57 pm

Connacht are a good team, but I'd be disappointed not to back up last weekend's win. We also owe them for the shambles v produced against them last season at home.

I agree on Way and Benjamin. Would rather see the Barrel and Matthews on the bench. I also don't really know why Screech is so out of favour now.

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 20 Feb 2015, 4:07 pm

The Saint wrote:We need this win, more than ever. We can overtake the Blues and they'll probably stay bottom placed region. We also need momentum going into the challenge cup quarter final against them. Good to see Stanko back in his rightful place.

Way and Benjamin on the bench are the worst replacements ever. I'd be willing to give the current U20s a shot.

You are harsh on Dan "backward" Way, i think his scrummaging has massively improved from what i have seen this season, such that he is ahead of Fairbrother. Also i think he is now probably a better scummager than Jarvis and Andrews.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 20 Feb 2015, 4:33 pm

I think that other than taulupe that is our strongest pack

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 20 Feb 2015, 4:39 pm

GavinDragon wrote:I think that other than taulupe that is our strongest pack

Funny as bar their 8 this is also probably Connacht's strongest pack.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 20 Feb 2015, 8:58 pm

Nice little favour off Treviso there tonight so let's hope we can back ourselves now and get above the Blues with a home win
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 21 Feb 2015, 6:53 am

Risca Rev wrote:Connacht are a good team, but I'd be disappointed not to back up last weekend's win. We also owe them for the shambles v produced against them last season at home.

I'm hoping the coaches have had this game in their sights for a while. If any game underlined the need to shore up our pack / set piece, it was the Connacht game last season.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 21 Feb 2015, 6:58 am

The BBC's rugby website is truly awful. Apparently our last match is also our next match: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/teams/ng-dragons

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Feb 2015, 12:23 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:Connacht are a good team, but I'd be disappointed not to back up last weekend's win. We also owe them for the shambles v produced against them last season at home.

I'm hoping the coaches have had this game in their sights for a while. If any game underlined the need to shore up our pack / set piece, it was the Connacht game last season.

True. I think we could get parity in the scrums and maybe do okay in attacking lineouts. I'm not always convinced by our defensive lineouts some games. Sounds like the weather will be atrocious later, so the onus will be even more on the pack. I suppose we have some big carriers in the backs too in Leach, Dixon and Amos. Be nice to see us get some more momentum to take to Zebre next week, for another Sunday special.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sun 22 Feb 2015, 8:30 am

I went to pick up my quarter-final ticket yesterday and found out our next three home league games are on a Sunday. That's crap. I swear other sides don't have that many, or certainly not in succession.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 22 Feb 2015, 9:00 am

When the fixtures are announced before the season do teams have a say in it, if so why did we agree to this?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Feb 2015, 11:02 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I went to pick up my quarter-final ticket yesterday and found out our next three home league games are on a Sunday. That's crap. I swear other sides don't have that many, or certainly not in succession.

I think it's something like 8 games in a row (home and away) all on a Sunday (Exeter the other week, Leinster last week away, Connacht home, etc.) Gash!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Feb 2015, 11:05 am

Actually, I've just looked on our website and this season (including 2 pre-season friendlies) we play 14 of our games on a Sunday, with the day of the final two games (Munster and Edinburgh) yet to be decided! Unreal!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 22 Feb 2015, 12:18 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:When the fixtures are announced before the season do teams have a say in it, if so why did we agree to this?

"Yet another Sunday".....
5th post. Full marks to the Drags for replying to the email.
http://draggedup.co.uk/chat/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5835

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 22 Feb 2015, 1:31 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:When the fixtures are announced before the season do teams have a say in it, if so why did we agree to this?

"Yet another Sunday".....
5th post. Full marks to the Drags for replying to the email.
http://draggedup.co.uk/chat/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5835

Cheers Dave,

reading through that seems like the teams don't have much say in when they play.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Feb 2015, 2:06 pm

14 Sunday games though (potentially 16)! Imagine if we had religious players on the books like Euan Murray. We'd have to pay him a part time wage!

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Sun 22 Feb 2015, 4:01 pm

Water Rugby (or as it's on S4C - Rygbi Dwr !!)
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 22 Feb 2015, 4:08 pm

Joke penalty against Dixon, game's becoming soft.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 22 Feb 2015, 4:14 pm

It was a penalty because he didn't use his arms.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Sun 22 Feb 2015, 4:18 pm

How stupid was that Rolling Eyes
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 22 Feb 2015, 4:19 pm

Silly elbow there, that red card by one of our most influential players will surely cost us this game.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Feb 2015, 4:21 pm

Yep, bit silly. It's a pity, because it was shaping up to be a decent game considering the conditions.

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 22 Feb 2015, 4:22 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:It was a penalty because he didn't use his arms.

Then there should be a penalty every seconds, we see "tackles" without arms rugby league style at every phase.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 22 Feb 2015, 4:26 pm

In this situation and conditions i would take a wing off and bring in a lock but yeah game pretty much in Connacht's pockets.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Feb 2015, 4:35 pm

Dragons fans are an impatient lot, aren't they Very Happy

"get on with it" "get on with it" "get on with it" ..... is this their new chant Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 22 Feb 2015, 4:36 pm

Have to disagree because then Connacht will be able to control territory with that advantage.

We aren't a good team but in these conditions we're just absolutely useless.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 22 Feb 2015, 4:38 pm

Fair try IMO, no need to go check it Wink.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 22 Feb 2015, 4:38 pm

Why check that? thats killing the game ffs

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Sun 22 Feb 2015, 4:39 pm

Dear God !!!
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 22 Feb 2015, 4:40 pm

The Saint wrote:Have to disagree because then Connacht will be able to control territory with that advantage.

We aren't a good team but in these conditions we're just absolutely useless.

They took off an open side, fair call.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 22 Feb 2015, 5:09 pm

Can't really put into words how much I dislike a drop-goal.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Sun 22 Feb 2015, 6:32 pm

Stupid by Landman

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 22 Feb 2015, 6:36 pm

PenfroPete wrote:Water Rugby (or as it's on S4C - Rygbi Dwr !!)

A rowing regatta at Dave next weekend, so i'm told.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 22 Feb 2015, 6:44 pm

An enjoyable mudfest and an exciting finish to the game mind ewe. The Terks must be cheesed off with the result as well. The battle for 6th place is going down to the wire.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 22 Feb 2015, 6:55 pm

The Saint wrote:Can't really put into words how much I dislike a drop-goal.

Keeps the defending team on their toes though. Supporters too.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Feb 2015, 7:08 pm

Can't blame the Dragons fans for losing patience with the officials. An inexperienced referee, learning his trade in what is supposed to be a top competition and he gets zero help from his assistants. Absolutely zero. I can't stand passive touch judging at the best of times, but when you're just stood there in appalling conditions, you'd think they might've wanted to get involved. Connacht played him very well, I thought.

I don't dispute the red card, or any of the scores though. I can't stand idiots like Derek Bevan taking ages to award tries either. Even the red card and the delay it took to come to the correct decision was a farce.

Great character by the Dragons. Crazy to think we could possibly have won that. Disappointed in Amos getting charged down again, when I hoped he'd have learned after Newcastle not to take so long. Very disappointed in our poor kicking game again.

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 22 Feb 2015, 7:20 pm

It was Derek Bevan who basically overruled Linton and asked for the red card (and quite rightly so). Some Irish TMO should take note.

Really i don't think Connacht are a good team, they lost the game when 15 versus 14. They don't deserve their 6th place imo and a 8th place finish would probably be a fairer refection of where they are (although Dragons showed today they are actually better than them).

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 22 Feb 2015, 7:23 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Can't blame the Dragons fans for losing patience with the officials. An inexperienced referee, learning his trade in what is supposed to be a top competition and he gets zero help from his assistants. Absolutely zero. I can't stand passive touch judging at the best of times, but when you're just stood there in appalling conditions, you'd think they might've wanted to get involved. Connacht played him very well, I thought.

I don't dispute the red card, or any of the scores though. I can't stand idiots like Derek Bevan taking ages to award tries either. Even the red card and the delay it took to come to the correct decision was a farce.

Great character by the Dragons. Crazy to think we could possibly have won that. Disappointed in Amos getting charged down again, when I hoped he'd have learned after Newcastle not to take so long. Very disappointed in our poor kicking game again.

His verbal communication leaves a lot to be desired imho. Should pack it in while he still has most of his marbles.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun 22 Feb 2015, 9:16 pm

How many times has Amos been charged down and leading to a try, if I remember twice against Newcastle at home and again today, yes he took his try/s well but when will he learn.

The Dragons could have won that game if they stopped kicking the ball away and I thought Gough was the motm the game swung back when he came on. Considering the conditions an entertaining but frustrating game due to a moment of madness.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Sun 22 Feb 2015, 11:44 pm

Never mind, Dragons gave them a better game this year with 14 than they did last with 15 Smile  - Dragons improving with every game, Rynard will regret that moment for a long while Sad Sad Sad

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 23 Feb 2015, 6:16 am

glamorganalun wrote:How many times has Amos been charged down and leading to a try, if I remember twice against Newcastle at home and again today, yes he took his try/s well but when will he learn.

The Dragons could have won that game if they stopped kicking the ball away and I thought Gough was  the motm the game swung back when he came on. Considering the conditions an entertaining but frustrating game due to a moment of madness.

I like rate Amos a lot and if was being brave would give him and Liam Williams the nod for Wales over North and Cuthbert BUT the charge down aspect of his game is one are where he really needs to get a grip in. Even when it is not charged down he seems to take an age over it, really heart in mouth moments but fair play he made amends and took both his tries well.

You have to applaud both sides as they really tried to play some rugby in shocking conditions. Landman will be regretting that for a while as I reckon it cost us the game and he is likely to miss the quarter final and possibly semi when Wink we beat the Blues.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 23 Feb 2015, 9:19 am

VinceWLB wrote:
Really i don't think Connacht are a good team, they lost the game when 15 versus 14. They don't deserve their 6th place imo and a 8th place finish would probably be a fairer refection of where they are (although Dragons showed today they are actually better than them).

That is a bit myopic. Yesterday's game was one of fifteen that they've played, and one of 9 games in which they've got a result and points - Dragons x 2, Edinburgh, Leinster, Cardiff, Treviso, Zebre, Scarlets, Munster.

They're competing well with Scarlets and Edinburgh for the 6th spot and probably need another 3-4 games to secure it.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 23 Feb 2015, 9:24 am

VinceWLB wrote: Really i don't think Connacht are a good team, they lost the game when 15 versus 14. They don't deserve their 6th place imo and a 8th place finish would probably be a fairer refection of where they are (although Dragons showed today they are actually better than them).

You judge a team on the entire season.
On that basis they will finish 6th to 8th and are a much better team than Dragons.
They have delivered good results that Dragons haven't
One match proves nothing

If it did Ulster are worse than Zebre but better than Ospreys and Warriors - how does that work
Headscratch

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down