The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tonights Action SPOILERS

+32
Herman Jaeger
TRUSSMAN66
John Bloody Wayne
captain carrantuohil
mobilemaster8
milkyboy
Coxy001
kingraf
hazharrison
Strongback
bellchees
ONETWOFOREVER
KC
AdamT
jimdig
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Kareem61
3fingers
All Time Great
Commander
rob-glos
catchweight
Rowley
Fernando
Happytravelling
wheelchair1991
Hammersmith harrier
Steffan
Dipper Brown
Derbymanc
hampo17
36 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Tonights Action SPOILERS - Page 4 Empty Tonights Action SPOILERS

Post by hampo17 Sat 21 Feb 2015, 5:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

Two Brits involved in world title fights tonight then;

Martin Murray vs GGG on C5, Hughie Fury on the undercard as well. Paul Smith vs Abraham on Sky with David Price and Josh Warrington on the undercard as well.

Who's everyone watching?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tonights Action SPOILERS - Page 4 Empty Re: Tonights Action SPOILERS

Post by Happytravelling Sun 22 Feb 2015, 12:39 am

'The fight I watched I saw him totally dominate and break down a big strong middleweight almost from start to finish.'

I don't think anybody disagrees with you on that.

But you ignore Murray's lack of power or how easy GGG was to hit.

If he steps up, everybody he will fight will be Murray's size, or bigger. And they'll all punch a lot harder.

Froch won't fight him, because he's looking for an easy payday before retirement, but if he did, I'd put my money on Froch to win.

GGG had freakish power at MW but he is small in height and build. I don't think it will carry well.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 22 Feb 2015, 12:45 am

If anyone is easy to hit, its Froch. And judging the tone on many of the comments, you would think this was a poor performance from Golovkin. I dont think there are many, if any fighters at middleweight or supermiddleweight that could so thoroughly dominate and breakdown Murray. Golovkins power might not carry up as effectively to super middleweight but it is backed up by excellent boxing and controlled pressure.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sun 22 Feb 2015, 1:16 am

Froch won't fight him, so its irrelevant. Froch is looking for an easy pay day before retirement.

I don't think it was a poor performance by GGG but it indicated he may have a problem with big (durable) MWs.... So, lets transpose this to a bigger weight. Lets say SMW. Then, he will probably have the same problems with a big, durable SMW.. and then, once we throw into the fact these SMWs might actually have KO power. The whole dynamic changes.

Froch is a big, durable SMW with punching power and no small amount of boxing ability. I honestly can't see Froch losing to GGG. But, it won't happen anyway.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 22 Feb 2015, 1:27 am

I didnt see any problems. I saw him totally dominate the fight. He got a hit a few times, looked untroubled, and carried on dismantling. If anything, this was an impressive performance. Murray gave him hardly any problems at all.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sun 22 Feb 2015, 1:59 am

Murray is light fisted, which is the point. He found him relatively easy to hit but GGG was untroubled because of Murray's punch power. Murray sustained because of his size.... not because he threatened GGG with his punch.

It was a relatively easy with for GGG but the question still remains, what happens when someone is big, tough and has some pop in the punches. Like a SMW.

On a similar vein, Abraham dominated the MW division but has struggled at SMW. Because he simply doesn't carry the supernatural durability to SMW, GGG won't carry the scary power.

I really don't think the SMW division has a lot to worry about, although he will clean up the MW division.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 22 Feb 2015, 2:18 am

Murray found Golovkin relatively easy to hit - relative to who? I dont think hes ever hit an opponent less.

That Golovkin moving up to super middleweight will have less power and find opponents bigger is common sense and not really related to the Murray fight, as are the what ifs in relation to Golovkin getting punched by bigger fighters.

Im struggling to see how on the basis of dominating Murray from start to finish, Golovkin has caused doubts. It was an impressive and completely dominant performance against one of the biggest and most durable middleweights out there.

Which brings me back to my original point about golovkin being a victim of his own success.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 22 Feb 2015, 2:39 am

Happytravelling wrote:Sadly, is not looking to gamble in Vegas. He wants a sure bet in Chavez.

But I didn't see anything that would scare froch tonight.

But Joe calzaghe would be pooping his shorts though! :-p

Calzaghe would give GGG a boxing lesson.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 22 Feb 2015, 3:56 am

Golovkin was taking a few to try and land the big one late on. Terrific performance from him - especially carrying the power into the later rounds.

He's nifty in the clinches - I'm not sure Ward is the man to beat him now. You'd need a Calzaghe type - quick, agile but with a granite chin and big balls.

I wish he'd take that fight now - Cotto isn't going to fight him.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 22 Feb 2015, 4:56 am

Just catching up from a night out. Seems a consummate performance from GGG against a guy who really is a very good very big middleweight. Murray probably should have been a Unified world champion by now, with wins over Martínez and Sturm. He just got thoroughly demolished. Sure he had some success, it was fleeting and generally interspersed with more beatings.

How big was Murray fight Night? He looked a bloody big fella (also 30 minutes late for weigh in, where he clocked in at 159.9), and it wouldn't surprise me if he was edging cruiserweight. Don't know where he goes from here, Cotto may look here and go... I hit harder than Murray, I could convert those fleeting moments of success into momentum shifts. Alternatively he could go, "I'm not as tough as Murray... I'm not as big as him so I probably can't absorb like he did... not thank you)
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 22 Feb 2015, 7:40 am

For me that was the last significant middleweight fight available to GGG. He's effectively cleaned out the middleweight division. Cotto is doing his Khan impression sitting by his phone hoping floyd will ask him to prom in September. Knowing his middleweight belt is the only reason he's mildly attractive. 

GGG could wait on the winner of kid chocolate v lee, but with rival tv companies and Al haymon, chocolate doesn't fight him, and lee realistically offers nothing more than a highlight reel KO. 

Canelo is the only other option, Canelo may fight him, it'd be at Canelo-weight though. Can GGG fight at 155? GGG says he must fight 4 times a year, I think he should try 168 this year, see how his power travels. He's not getting any younger and is running out/has ran out of credible oposition at 160.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 22 Feb 2015, 8:10 am

^^Canelo-weight should not be confused with Cotto-weight. While both are 155lbs, Canelo-weight is not to be considered as middleweight where as Cotto-weight is to be considered as middleweight. 
I thought it best I clear that little conumdrum up.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 22 Feb 2015, 8:12 am

Thanks Jimbo. Wondered what weight division Canelo fought at.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun 22 Feb 2015, 9:51 am

I thought it was a good performance from GGG. But for the first time he looked more human than myth. There is a beating of him. However, to beat him you need all the durability and stamina Murray showed (and then some) and a dig.

Macklin said in the build up you need to deter GGG with your own power, Murray couldn't offer that last night despite his best efforts. GGG was able to stalk Murray and throw everything into his shots looking for the KO. Says a lot about GGG that you've got to be ridiculously brave and willing to go out on your shield to get success against him.

Far from being a poor performance, or one that 'exposes' him, I definitely think last night made GGG seem human.

I think we should enjoy the guy for what he is now; the most exciting middleweight in the division. Pointless comparing him to Hopkins, Jones, Toney. He isn't going to fight them.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 22 Feb 2015, 10:08 am

It was a brilliant performance by GGG, he took apart a big, strong and very durable Middleweight in Murray. He is now without doubt the number one middleweight in the world, I will disregard Cotto's claim as i'm sure many will, to put it bluntly Murray beat Martinez first.

I will however say that while he's good to watch I don't buy into him being the most exciting, it's all a bit too precise and measured, the same with Kovalev really. It's a very predictable and very effective style of boxing but there are a few flaws.

As with most big punchers, he's defensively not great and his stamina doesn't appear to be top draw either, the fight wasn't fought at a quick enough pace for him to be blowing after 8 rounds. That being said his power appears to carry into the later rounds which was why it's important to have seen him in with somebody durable before jumping on the bandwagon.

In short there's nobody to beat him at 160lbs but above that Ward and Froch would start as favourites, he doesn't look capable of making the jump in my opinion, too slight of frame.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Sun 22 Feb 2015, 10:14 am

Thought AA looked average, loses to a level up from Smith. Is a one handed fighter.

GGG, battered Murray. Not his greatest performance. AA next? Would be fun whilst it lasted.

Oh and my bet came in, winnings going in to the Vegas fund for May 2nd. Saying that have Aus and Turkey to fork out for as well. Sigh.

And good god I'm hungover.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 22 Feb 2015, 10:40 am

What did we learn last night? Murray is very tough and a bit limited. Golovkin is very good, might slow a little but is still
Pretty relentless in round 11. He can be hit, and looks less impressive  in the middle of the ring than he does stalking a retreating fighter. We probably knew all of that already... Except his stamina and even then its a little hard to gauge when you're essentially beating away at a heavy bag without much fear of what's coming back.

I've never really rated Murray, but the guy has some heart. Golovkin's dismantling of him was both impressive and painful to watch. I'm intrigued as to how much the rope a dope tactics from Murray were deliberate or forced. He looked in the fight when he held his ground in the middle of the ring, but sitting on the ropes, taking 5 body shots to land one sneak right arm punch never looked like a great 'counter punch' strategy.

GGG v froch? I think this would be a cracking fight. Froch is just as tough as Murray, but no matter how good golovkin's chin is, he can't take the liberties he did last night. I still fancy him to win though. I don't think froch is as resilient to the body as he is to the head, and I don't think he can match him for work rate.

GGG v ward? Ward's a big strong guy, dirty if he needs to be and solid punching to go with his obvious great boxing skills...  if he can hold the centre of the ring I'd expect him to win. If. But we've never seen ward in with someone who's able to successfully apply pressure on him. GGG might be that man.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 22 Feb 2015, 10:48 am

We also learnt that God King Eddie isn't too impressed with David Price, I think your all missing that vital bit of information.

Feel gutted for Smith but AA looked far too big for him and he just couldn't deter him at all. Brave display from Murray but he ended up looking a mess and I was shouting at them to pull him out at the end.

The good thing is that neither man embarassed themselves and it was a good night of boxing.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 22 Feb 2015, 10:50 am

I suppose if we learnt that Golovkin can get winded, we also learnt he can catch a second win, because he brutally closed the show
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun 22 Feb 2015, 10:56 am

Strum coming up to SM to face Abraham? I think the power ballads and cheese would end me.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 22 Feb 2015, 11:01 am

We also learned that Steve Collins is the world's worst boxing pundit. He was beyond poor last night. Woodhall looked like the smiling, sober mate of a drunk guy chatting rubbish to a hot chick.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 22 Feb 2015, 11:03 am

I see it differently Milky, I don't think GGG can match Froch for workrate, he'll have to be very measured with his output, if it becomes something of a war he will not and cannot beat Froch.

Froch averages over 80 punches thrown a round and that is in fights lasting longer and more physically demanding ones. Being able to throw a lot when nothing is coming back isn't much of an indicator. Even when he was on the receiving end of a beating against Groves first time around his work rate was impressive.

It's an unpopular view but we don't know if GGG hits harder than say Groves at 168lbs so he could find himself being walked down we actually don't know.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 22 Feb 2015, 11:04 am

hazharrison wrote:We also learned that Steve Collins is the world's worst boxing pundit. He was beyond poor last night. Woodhall looked like the smiling, sober mate of a drunk guy chatting rubbish to a hot chick.

He comes across as wanting to appear clever, making outlandish predictions so he can say afterwards; 'I told you so' despite everyone knowing it was a question of when/if GGG was going to knock him out, not whether he would win.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 22 Feb 2015, 11:25 am

All I can say is wow. The guy systematically broke down a big middleweight.....the same middleweight who beat Martinez in his back yard and who had never been dropped let alone stopped.

GGG has a super chin and awesome power and footwork he is pure class and would demolish everyone in his division and above it.

I agree with Catchweight, the moment he don't hammer someone in 2 minutes, the quicker people jump on him saying he ain't that much.

Deadly performance last night and nobody could cope with him at middle or super

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 22 Feb 2015, 11:28 am

Everyone's saying how easy he is to hit, last night I genuinely believe he threw defence out of the window as soon as he knew Murray couldn't hurt him, once he knew that he had nothing worry about.

Can't complain with the performance, as others have said. Still think Harrison needs to be asked why he didn't pull him out, the fight was over after the 8th round and Murray just took a beating for nothing after that.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 22 Feb 2015, 11:33 am

hampo171 wrote:Everyone's saying how easy he is to hit, last night I genuinely believe he threw defence out of the window as soon as he knew Murray couldn't hurt him, once he knew that he had nothing worry about.

Can't complain with the performance, as others have said. Still think Harrison needs to be asked why he didn't pull him out, the fight was over after the 8th round and Murray just took a beating for nothing after that.

He tightens up and he'll throw less, it's the same with all of his fights though Hampo, he's a brutal puncher but defensively he isn't anything amazing. It won't change at 160lbs as I doubt anyone has the power to gain his respect apart from Lemiuex but I don't think he'd be around long enough to land anything big.

I'd also disagree with you about Harrison, this is boxing and boxers want to see the final bell, he wasn't taking a beating for nothing, he was having his best rounds of the fight against a tiring opponent. You don't pull someone out just because they're losing.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 22 Feb 2015, 11:35 am

I agree that Froch has the engine and output to match GGG unless he had lost a step since his last fight.

The problem for Froch is he would be open to being out boxed. If GGG's power carries up that could be a problem.

I can't see Froch taking the fight as Golovkin is not a money spinner.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 22 Feb 2015, 11:37 am

He was taking a beating for nothing HH, if he had that one punch power or even enough power to gain GGG respect then I'd agree but the fact is he couldn't punch his way out of a wet paper bag.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 22 Feb 2015, 11:39 am

You let boxers go out on their shield especially when they're as tough as Murray, it wasn't a beating like Chavez dished out to Rosario so no issues with letting it carry on for me.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 22 Feb 2015, 11:45 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:I see it differently Milky, I don't think GGG can match Froch for workrate, he'll have to be very measured with his output, if it becomes something of a war he will not and cannot beat Froch.

Froch averages over 80 punches thrown a round and that is in fights lasting longer and more physically demanding ones. Being able to throw a lot when nothing is coming back isn't much of an indicator. Even when he was on the receiving end of a beating against Groves first time around his work rate was impressive.

It's an unpopular view but we don't know if GGG hits harder than say Groves at 168lbs so he could find himself being walked down we actually don't know.

Fair enough hammy... There are always unknowns when someone ups a weight. Benn was never as destructive at super as he was at middle (though the std of his opposition probably skews that). Like I said, it would be a cracking fight. My guess is ggg doesn't have more 1 punch power than groves, he just hits with that kind of power with most of his punches.

Be great if the warrior cobra, opted to go into the trenches for this one... Big kudos to him if he does.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 22 Feb 2015, 11:49 am

People are talking about this fight as though GGG's limitations have been exposed? It was a typical GGG performance

Stalking forward, cutting the ring off, taking a few to land the more telling shots, exercising patience and being accurate. Nothing new. Great Performance against the no2 MW in the world.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Feb 2015, 12:00 pm

Only just seen the fight, as soon as GGG knew he had no power, it was just a case of him playing with Murray, however, when he knew Myrray wasn't going easy, he started getting impatient & it wasn't the best GGG I've seen. He said he actually wanted rounds , in a way, not having an amazing knockout performance & having people question him is probably good for GGG. People wouldn't touch him before this fight, he'd fought nobody, ow people are saying differently & thise big names might take him in now. GGG is 32, needs to fight he best now in a higher division. Brilliant & brave performance frkm Murray, certainly his stock has risen taking GGG to 11 rnds

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun 22 Feb 2015, 12:17 pm

That's the way I see it too Liam. Maybe some of the matchmakers will be fancying their boxers chances against GGG. That can only be good for fans.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 22 Feb 2015, 12:19 pm

Re whether to pull him out or not. I think for most of the fight he wasn't taking much clean to the head, and as a proud man you'd want to go the 12 even if it was obviously going to be a defeat. That said, by the end he was in fairly full on retreat, and Taking more head shots... There was an argument for pulling him out. Ref timed the stoppage perfectly I thought. Given the stoppages we've seen of late, some credit there.

As Good as GGG is, if Murray is the second best middle in the world, it doesn't say much for the division.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 22 Feb 2015, 12:27 pm

Murray's a good operator, and you can see why he can beat someone who doesn't make the holy spirit move in you with every punch. He's organised, teak tough, and can land scoring punches (even if not rocking punches). Think he could best Cotto. Definitely think he has a very good chance. Just became a power game against Golovkin, and he was never gonna win that.

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 22 Feb 2015, 12:41 pm

8 pounds doesn't seem like much, but not many have managed a seamless transition from middle to super-middle. Roy Jones, a bona fide genius who was in any case outgrowing 160, springs to mind, but few others.

I recall Nigel Benn talking about the difference and saying that it took him a good while to acclimatise to the new division, where people didn't keel over in the face of his power-hitting and also had a substantially harder dig than he was used to as a middleweight. Those words were spoken in the lead-up to his fight with McClellan; Benn was making the point that McClellan would find the step up in weight quite tricky without a couple of preparatory fights.

Others on this thread have rightly cited Abraham as another fighter who appeared a monster at the lower weight, only to become all too human at 168. I have long believed that Golovkin is an outstanding middleweight; last night added further lustre to his credentials, as far as I'm concerned. To dismantle a decent fighter so sytematically showed me once again that, so far from being a one-track minded KO merchant, Golovkin also possesses patience and intelligence to go with the heavy hands and underrated boxing ability.

I would respectfully disagree with those who felt that last night's performance might serve as some kind of blueprint for future opponents of the Kazakh to arm themselves with; I thought he was outstanding. That said, it will be a different ball-game with the head men at 168, who are more likely to stand their ground and against whom there is no guarantee that GGG's power will be quite as effective. Benn's wasn't; going down a few divisions and back a few years, I recall how tough it was for Wilfredo Gomez to translate his frightening power at 122 into similar dominance at a weight just four pounds up the scale.

If Golovkin really has reached the end of any worthwhile challenges at 160 and Cotto continues to avoid him, I'd like to see him have at least a couple of fights to get used to the added weight at 168 before taking on Ward (I reckon Froch to be a red herring here; I suspect that he is extremely close to being retired in his own mind and that he will be gone before GGG decides to make the leap), the one man against whom Golovkin would definitely start as second favourite. Only then will we know whether Gennady's frame and fabulous abilities will be able to take the new weight in their stride.

Last edited by captain carrantuohil on Sun 22 Feb 2015, 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 22 Feb 2015, 12:55 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
hazharrison wrote:We also learned that Steve Collins is the world's worst boxing pundit. He was beyond poor last night. Woodhall looked like the smiling, sober mate of a drunk guy chatting rubbish to a hot chick.

He comes across as wanting to appear clever, making outlandish predictions so he can say afterwards; 'I told you so' despite everyone knowing it was a question of when/if GGG was going to knock him out, not whether he would win.

I didn't see all the build up, so maybe I missed some of his more outlandish statements. What I did see was both woodhall and collins bigging up the British fighters chances. Pretty std practice. Collins said he needed to back him up to win it (which while hardly rocket science was probably fair). I'm no fan of collins or woodhall for that matter, as pundits, but just seemed like std formula stuff to me. Seemed like One picked a tight points decision 1 way and the other the same fight with a different result.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 22 Feb 2015, 1:58 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:8 pounds doesn't seem like much, but not many have managed a seamless transition from middle to super-middle. Roy Jones, a bona fide genius who was in any case outgrowing 160, springs to mind, but few others.

I recall Nigel Benn talking about the difference and saying that it took him a good while to acclimatise to the new division, where people didn't keel over in the face of his power-hitting and also had a substantially harder dig than he was used to as a middleweight. Those words were spoken in the lead-up to his fight with McClellan; Benn was making the point that McClellan would find the step up in weight quite tricky without a couple of preparatory fights.

Others on this thread have rightly cited Abraham as another fighter who appeared a monster at the lower weight, only to become all too human at 168. I have long believed that Golovkin is an outstanding middleweight; last night added further lustre to his credentials, as far as I'm concerned. To dismantle a decent fighter so sytematically showed me once again that, so far from being a one-track minded KO merchant, Golovkin also possesses patience and intelligence to go with the heavy hands and underrated boxing ability.

I would respectfully disagree with those who felt that last night's performance might serve as some kind of blueprint for future opponents of the Kazakh to arm themselves with; I thought he was outstanding. That said, it will be a different ball-game with the head men at 168, who are more likely to stand their ground and against whom there is no guarantee that GGG's power will be quite as effective. Benn's wasn't; going down a few divisions, I recall how tough it was for Wilfredo Gomez to translate his frightening power at 122 into similar dominance at a weight just four pounds up the scale.

If Golovkin really has reached the end of any worthwhile challenges at 160 and Cotto continues to avoid him, I'd like to see him have at least a couple of fights to get used to the added weight at 168 before taking on Ward (I reckon Froch to be a red herring here; I suspect that he is extremely close to being retired in his own mind and that he will be gone before GGG decides to make the leap), the one man against whom Golovkin would definitely start as second favourite. Only then will we know whether Gennady's frame and fabulous abilities will be able to take the new weight in their stride.

No problem with him doing that if he's as busy as he says he wants to be, the natives will be restless if there's no big name soon, I was thinking someone like bika would have been interesting... Teak tough and a guy who like to bully opponents backwards... But he's gone to 175.

I general, there's no one size fits all for whether punchers carry their bombs with them up a weight. Gomez is a an example often cited of someone who didn't seem to, but he did have fights with nelson, lockridge  and laporte... Not the chinniest of the guys... Generally he did have to work harder for his ko's.

It seems some take it with them... Hearns, arguello, pacquaio and plenty don't. I suspect everyone has a ceiling, for their body shape/ability.. It might be the weight they're at, one above etc.

I guess it also depends on how drained they are to make current weight, and their rehydration capacity with day before weigh ins etc... The talents if their nutritionist/chemist etc.

We're told GGG can make 154, and with his size and frame he doesn't seem a natural to bulk up to a higher weight.

Whichever, it's no given that the bigger guys will roll over like the smaller ones have... But no given that they won't. Certainly likely he'll have to work a bit harder to roll them over.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 22 Feb 2015, 2:21 pm

Are you trying to suggest that we should measure GGG's wrist size before making any further decisions, Milky Very Happy
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 22 Feb 2015, 2:28 pm

The main thing with GGG is on top of having the power of God in his left and right hands, he is a pretty brilliant boxer, and judging by a career where he hasn't been dropped ever should have a decent to ATG chin. Long as he has enough sting to make opponents respect his powder kegs at 168lbs, I see no reason for him to not decision a lot of big names.

Plus, if he does hurt you... I don't think there's anyone in the game better at closing the show. Sometimes it's like watching someone play Mortal Kombat when he smells blood.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 22 Feb 2015, 2:32 pm

In fairness Raf, Dzinziruk hadn't been dropped once as an amateur or pro going into the Martinez fight, he then faces someone who can punch and his chin disintegrated almost instantaneously.

He's a good boxer rather than a brilliant one, when you have power facing opponents unable to handle it you're going to be able to do what you want.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 22 Feb 2015, 2:45 pm

How many Brilliant "boxers" are there at 168 though? Ward, definitely. Maybe the Brothers Dirrell. I personally think GGG is a brilliant boxer, solid jab, understated yet effective footwork, and as Groves said - lays a lot traps, which hapless victims seem to fall into at an alarming rate. The power is of course the star attraction ... but the rest of the support cast is darn good. Groves sparred with him and he seemed to think his technical ability was "elite level".

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 22 Feb 2015, 3:14 pm

I can't remember GGG ever getting hit with a lot of big shots so it's hard to gauge his chin. He's just been a league or two above the opposition he has fought in a fairly poor division.

It's natural to want to see a fighter tested but my opinion is GGG has not been put in that position yet and may never be. Even Ward v GGG while a great fight for boxing fans would not be a huge Vegas style fight bringing in large PPV numbers.

If Froch fought Golovkin in the UK on Sky Box Office I would expect Froch to take a bigger end of the split.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 22 Feb 2015, 3:33 pm

I liked the little tid bits of info on screen as they walked into the ring. Helped me engage with the narrative of the fight knowing Murray's role model is his wife and GGG's favourite is "MEAT". Not chicken, lamb or anything else specifically, just meat. If it was alive at some point, he'll enjoy devouring it.

Murray's probably about as big as Froch when rehydrated, tighter defense, quicker hands. Froch has the power to gain GGG's respect, you would think, but with his lack of hand speed might find landing tricky. The Abraham gameplan would be his best bet, GGG won't stand up straight and give Froch time to do what he wants...I lean more towards a GGG victory over Froch than I did before the Murray fight.

Also, as ONETWO pointed out, let's stop the Kazak nonsense. He is the fighting pride of China.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 22 Feb 2015, 3:34 pm

By the way, I never knew shots on top of the head with the knuckle part of the glove were illegal, more ill advised because it's not the most vulnerable part of a human so probably won't hurt your opponent much and could fudge up your hand. Steve Collins seemed fairly sure it is illegal though. Anybody know for sure?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 22 Feb 2015, 3:58 pm

hazharrison wrote:Golovkin was taking a few to try and land the big one late on. Terrific performance from him - especially carrying the power into the later rounds.

He's nifty in the clinches - I'm not sure Ward is the man to beat him now. You'd need a Calzaghe type - quick, agile but with a granite chin and big balls.

Have you ever read so much guff in your life ???????

1. Ward has cleaned out the division and has big balls..........

2. He's a big 168 pounder and GGG is a smallish middleweight....

3. How can you possibly compare a brave guy with no punch who sat on the ropes and let the guy take liberties to one of best fighters of the modern era !!

Just stop this nonsense................

It was a Chavez type performance last night against an overclassed opponent who'd lost his two previous chances........His last against a guy soon to be demolished by a blown up welter........

Let's stop with this nonsense...................THE FIGHT TELLS US NOTHING WE DIDN'T KNOW ALREADY !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 22 Feb 2015, 4:02 pm

Ward's favourite to beat this guy without a shadow of doubt, takes him out of his rythm and roughs him up. Take him out of his rythm Ward's a master of that. Or counterpunch him to death ala Ray Leonard.

Froch Golovkin is more of a 50/50 but I'd be more sweet on Froch's chances after last night. Yet to see Golovkin in a battle of wills, yet to see him in a dark place.

Another impressive display last night over a very tough opponent but not the towering one we had come to expect. Too early to put him up there with the Hagler's of this world, but with his style soon enough, someone's going to test his resolve. Clearly though he needs to move to super middle.

Love to see him fight Abraham next(what a fight that would be,) and then Froch or Ward.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 22 Feb 2015, 4:09 pm

Herman Jaggery wrote:Ward's favourite to beat this guy without a shadow of doubt, takes him out of his rythm and roughs him up. Take him out of his rythm Ward's a master of that. Or counterpunch him to death ala Ray Leonard.

Froch Golovkin is more of a 50/50 but I'd be more sweet on Froch's chances after last night. Yet to see Golovkin in a battle of wills, yet to see him in a dark place.

Another impressive display last night over a very tough opponent but not the towering one we had come to expect. Too early to put him up there with the Hagler's of this world, but with his style soon enough, someone's going to test his resolve. Clearly though he needs to move to super middle.

Love to see him fight Abraham next(what a fight that would be,) and then Froch or Ward.

Very professional but he showed he was flawed !!........Very very like Chavez...The way he cuts off the ring and works the body.....and he's always on top of you............................Chavez/Nelson !!

We saw what a skilled operator like Whittaker could do..........to both of those............Made them both look ordinary..

Can't see him stopping Ward...Murray took his shots and lasted 11........I see him being outpointed by his awkward style and made to look ordinary..

I can see Froch beating him with his power too............He wouldn't take liberties against Carl and the extra weight may mean he concedes the ring center.....

Back this guy up I'll bet he's a completely different fighter.........

Before last night I thought he could beat Marv........But he did suck it up after 7/8...........

Pick Marv to wear him down and stop him late........In a fantasy matchup...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 22 Feb 2015, 4:14 pm

Marv v GGG...............

GGG has a way to go before making that kind of comparison.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 22 Feb 2015, 4:16 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:Golovkin was taking a few to try and land the big one late on. Terrific performance from him - especially carrying the power into the later rounds.

Have you ever read so much guff in your life ???????

1. Ward has cleaned out the division and has big balls..........

2. He's a big 168 pounder and GGG is a smallish middleweight....

3. How can you possibly compare a brave guy with no punch who sat on the ropes and let the guy take liberties to one of best fighters of the modern era !!

Just stop this nonsense................

It was a Chavez type performance last night against an overclassed opponent who'd lost his two previous chances........His last against a guy soon to be demolished by a blown up welter........

Let's stop with this nonsense...................THE FIGHT TELLS US NOTHING WE DIDN'T KNOW ALREADY !!

I wasn't suggesting Ward wasn't brave, or that he hadn't cleaned out 168 (or that Murray was anything like him).

Ward's game, though, is based around holding and neutralising his opponent's offense. Watching Golovkin last night, I don't think he's very easy to control inside - he's excellent in the clinches. On that basis, I'm not sure Ward is the guy to beat him.

As any number of people have posted on here - GGG was excellent last night. There's really no need to get your oversized knickers in a twist about it.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 22 Feb 2015, 4:18 pm

Strongback wrote:Marv v GGG...............

GGG has a way to go before making that kind of comparison.

Yeah, Golovkin would admit that himself.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next