The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tackling

4 posters

Go down

Tackling Empty Tackling

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat 21 Feb 2015, 8:14 pm

Just watched the Bath-Saints game, I'm somewhat appalled at the way the ref let the tackling become so dangerous.

To make a tackle, you have to at least try and grasp an opponent with both arms, or so I thought. At least half a dozen times, 2 Saints, 4 Bath, players stood up to the ball carrier and rammed into them with the first contact being a forearm into their chest/neck area to check them before trying to "grasp" them. No attempt to tackle at all in the first contact.

Commentators showed this up as how physical the match was; I regarded it as how the game has turned into a slug fest where big players cannot be stopped from gain yards by legal means, so we simply meet them square on with a forearm smash. A tackle means getting your head outside their body and therefore allowing their momentum to pass through your shoulder and over the gain line.

Players like little Jamie Elliot showed how skill can beat size, get there earlier, take out their legs, down they come. No need to risk breaking a players neck as you haven't got the skills to stop them gaining ground.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Tackling Empty Re: Tackling

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 21 Feb 2015, 8:17 pm

It's been that way for ages.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Sun 22 Feb 2015, 11:28 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Just watched the Bath-Saints game, I'm somewhat appalled at the way the ref let the tackling become so dangerous.

To make a tackle, you have to at least try and grasp an opponent with both arms, or so I thought. At least half a dozen times, 2 Saints, 4 Bath, players stood up to the ball carrier and rammed into them with the first contact being a forearm into their chest/neck area to check them before trying to "grasp" them. No attempt to tackle at all in the first contact.

Commentators showed this up as how physical the match was; I regarded it as how the game has turned into a slug fest where big players cannot be stopped from gain yards by legal means, so we simply meet them square on with a forearm smash. A tackle means getting your head outside their body and therefore allowing their momentum to pass through your shoulder and over the gain line.

Players like little Jamie Elliot showed how skill can beat size, get there earlier, take out their legs, down they come. No need to risk breaking a players neck as you haven't got the skills to stop them gaining ground.
In part has come from league where this sort of hit is considered good tackling. Burgess being the prime example. In part 'tackling' high comes from a desire to prevent the offload so players just crash chest first into to man with ball and then hope to get him in a choke tackle.

One option would be to lower the line above which a tackle is considered high to anything above the waist.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 22 Feb 2015, 12:06 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Just watched the Bath-Saints game, I'm somewhat appalled at the way the ref let the tackling become so dangerous.

I didn't see the match because it wasn't televised here.  Is this somewhat similar to a swinging arm into the chest?  If it is, I have seen this occasionally in some other matches, and some of the tackle attempts do seem borderline, and some borderline high.  I am not sure a swinging arm to the chest can really stop a runner at pace, but if a bit slower, can be dangerous play.  

Interesting you bring up Jamie Elliott because he really is one of the real underestimated wingers in the Premiership.  Very solid at the fundamentals.  He doesn't have the physicality to overpower anyone so get the tackling almost text book perfect.  Will watch the match later this week if the replay is shown.  Then I would be able to discuss more intelligently (not hard since I am just having my morning coffee now).

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 23 Feb 2015, 8:29 am

Elliot is massively underrated, in many ways I prefer him to North. Despite his size he is sound defensively, good under the high ball and in the chase. He has the ability to ghost past players or through tackles as he shifts his body weight around and his point of attack so quick he is never quite where the tackler thinks.

His “metres made” per game average is exceptional.

He also has an Ashtonesque ability to know when a break is going to come and the ability to support it.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 23 Feb 2015, 10:04 am

Agree 100%.
Very good player. When I see the team sheet and he is not included, it makes me wonder. And as you said, he has that great ability to simply be in the right place at the right time.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down