The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Go Again! The 2014/15 Premier League Thread

+32
Crimey
Mad for Chelsea
Marky
liverbnz
compelling and rich
Hero
guildfordbat
TRUSSMAN66
Derbymanc
kingraf
Liam
lfc91
1GrumpyGolfer
CFCNick
sportform
FootballLight
socal1976
Mat
westisbest
Fernando
Duty281
Good Golly I'm Olly
Stella
JDizzle
Lowlandbrit
Dolphin Ziggler
GSC
Ent
mystiroakey
NickisBHAFC
hampo17
Hammersmith harrier
36 posters

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

We Go Again! The 2014/15 Premier League Thread  - Page 14 Empty We Go Again! The 2014/15 Premier League Thread

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

Silva has just won me a tidy £640, next goalscorer and City to score at least five, woohoo.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

We Go Again! The 2014/15 Premier League Thread  - Page 14 Empty Re: We Go Again! The 2014/15 Premier League Thread

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:40 pm

No, I wouldn't expect him to be in the goals at any tournament because im not sure his game will translate on the international stage or in a team that isn't built to press all day. Equally, you don't often see an England striker in the goals at major tournaments.

Poor comparison. Rooney at one year older has achieved beyond Austin's wildest dreams. That's why one could be considered too old to start an England career now.

I'd also be wary of picking any striker based on one season of scoring in the premier league.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

We Go Again! The 2014/15 Premier League Thread  - Page 14 Empty Re: We Go Again! The 2014/15 Premier League Thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:46 pm

hampo171 wrote:I genuinely believe Berahino is overrated, and think he'll get overshadowed in seasons to come.
Boy has some serious talent - just needs to sort himself out off the field
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:16 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:No, I wouldn't expect him to be in the goals at any tournament because im not sure his game will translate on the international stage or in a team that isn't built to press all day. Equally, you don't often see an England striker in the goals at major tournaments.

Poor comparison. Rooney at one year older has achieved beyond Austin's wildest dreams. That's why one could be considered too old to start an England career now.

I'd also be wary of picking any striker based on one season of scoring in the premier league.

It's not exactly rocket science is it but some just don't understand it Dolph.

Rooney might be 29 but he has scored 273 times in his club and international career over the past ELEVEN seasons, he's not as good as he could and should have been but that is actually a seriously impressive goal return. He's also the England captain, still arguably our best player, works tirelessly for club and country. He's having a fairly crap season scoring wise and has largely been played out of position but Austin has only the four more league goals. Need I carry on with why Rooney is rightfully in the squad at 29 and why many myself included don't think Austin should be called up at 28?

Going into Euro 2016 I wouldn't be expecting Kane to be banging in the goals either, if Owen, Shearer (96 excluded) and Rooney weren't in a far superior team then Kane won't be with an inferior one.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:21 pm

Chris Brunt charged for using abusing or insulting words to Anthony Taylor on Saturday. What a joke that is. How many players do you see every weekend swearing at the ref? Taylor clearly trying to save after some of his own poor decisions.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:07 pm

Disgrace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:50 pm

It'd be good if they released what he said. If he went personal or aimed directly at him then I can see why. Would he have had grounds to send him off during the game?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:09 pm

I guess so, as any example of "using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures" is supposed to be a straight red card.

Clearly that law isn't upheld though.

Mat
6CW Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:29 pm

To some extent id then say fair play for not sending him off, cos he could have and it was obviously something that bothered the ref. It at least shows some common sense

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:30 pm

Good for Albion. Hoping for a 20 game ban so Brunt never plays for our club again. He's a disgrace to us.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:30 pm

How much of a fool are you Azzy?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:40 pm

Azzy wrote:Good for Albion. Hoping for a 20 game ban so Brunt never plays for our club again. He's a disgrace to us.

What a stupid thing to say about a player who has been a great servant to youre football club.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:43 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:To some extent id then say fair play for not sending him off, cos he could have and it was obviously something that bothered the ref. It at least shows some common sense

Was after the game, so guess he couldn't/wouldn't be any point in sending. Not condoning it, but considering it happens every week and no-one ever gets charged for it, seems harsh to me. With the obvious caveat of not knowing what he's said.

Just a good job fans can't be charged with foul and abusive language! The air was turning blue around me Saturday to say the least.

Mat
6CW Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:17 pm

They'll hopefully be charged with ripping up chairs and throwing them about though

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:03 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:
Azzy wrote:Good for Albion. Hoping for a 20 game ban so Brunt never plays for our club again. He's a disgrace to us.

What a stupid thing to say about a player who has been a great servant to youre football club.
Servant? He's been paid a minimum of £30k per week for more than seven years. He's the player who puts in the least amount of effort out of any player in our team. He's the most inconsistent, most frustrating, most impatient, most irritating player we've had in my lifetime, and that's saying something. He should never have been appointed as captain, and of the several hundred Albions fans I know, not one wants him in our team. He can't tackle, he's one-footed to the extreme, he takes his eye off the ball, when he loses it he throws his arms up and moans rather than getting his head down. I could go on.

No fan of any other club has any right to tell me what I can or cannot say about a player at my club. For a minimum of £30k a week, over 7.5 years, that's more than £6m on basic salary (after tax) in that time. Money that could have been much better spent on players committed to the cause for 90mins, not 19.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:53 pm

Not sure hes a disgrace though?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:01 pm

Abusing the referee? No call for that at any time. I remember Manu Petit getting sent off during a game for that years back.

If you watch an Albion game, 90mins worth, watch Chris Brunt on playercam somehow. 1 in 3 times he loses the ball, he literally throws both arms up in the air, turns round, swearing wildly. Meanwhile, play has moved on and we're under pressure. I could recall countless goals over the last 8 years where having Brunt tracking back would have prevented a goal. He's a defensive catastrophe, and he's meant to represent our club. Not abuse match officials.

Depends on your interpretation of disgrace. It's not Big Ron level, but it is a form of disgrace to the club and its history.

On the seats, I was told it was just four fans who did that? We'll soon know once the police release details on the number of arrests they've made. It's Villa fans who have the real problem, entering the field of play during a game is meant to be a large fine and a criminal record.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:33 pm

Its not only this game, was seen at the weekend by cameras too. Not sure why West Brom fans felt the need to throw chairs at people in two games. I kinda understand pitch invasion, but making and using weapons isnt on

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:47 pm

Idiots on both sides, as always. Throwing the chairs was ridiculous, hope they all get a long ban. Also hope all the Villa fans who added to my Cheltenham funds with their pound coins get a nice little ban as well.

No problem with the pitch invasion if it was this spontaneous celebration as I see a lot of Villa fans claiming, sure it was for some of them, but I'd say half of them had no intention of celebrating, just running up to the Albion fans to incite us and throw stuff.

As for Brunt being a disgrace, don't agree, happens all the time. Now Alan Hutton, he's a disgrace.

Mat
6CW Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:34 pm

No mention yet of an arrest for the assault on McManaman either.

And Mat, Brunt isn't a disgrace for this one incident, it's for his 'efforts' in nearly eight years at our club. He's a shocking excuse for a footballer.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:41 pm

Indeed, a real show of idiotic fans. And as much stupidity by putting that game on at half 5 in the evening

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:01 am

That was the biggest contributing factor, no question. Whenever Villa play Blues it's a 12noon kickoff, no chance for pre-game boozing. The fact that this time round there were 17 arrests in pubs before the game shows how stupid that decision was. But yay, more tv money We Go Again! The 2014/15 Premier League Thread  - Page 14 3559488474

Rolling Eyes

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:20 am

Mat wrote:Idiots on both sides, as always. Throwing the chairs was ridiculous, hope they all get a long ban. Also hope all the Villa fans who added to my Cheltenham funds with their pound coins get a nice little ban as well.  

No problem with the pitch invasion if it was this spontaneous celebration as I see a lot of Villa fans claiming, sure it was for some of them, but I'd say half of them had no intention of celebrating, just running up to the Albion fans to incite us and throw stuff. As for Brunt being a disgrace, don't agree, happens all the time. Now Alan Hutton, he's a disgrace.

While I dont condone that.
If the game was at the Hawthorns, and you had won, pretty sure Baggies fans would have done the same, or similar.

Shame they did it, it puts a big black mark next to the clubs name.
Was a great week footballing wise, then to be ruined by those fans.

On Hutton, he does like to put in a good old fashioned tackle ot two. But he does go ott, like the incident with Berahino? in the league game.
He has actually been pretty good for us this season on the whole. Hope we have a left back come back, as I would like to see Lowton in at rb.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:22 am

Question: Does the arsenal result help or hinder United in their aim of getting top 4 this season?

On the one hand they now have only 1 focus. 10 premier league games to throw everything into. Fresh leagues going into every game etc etc.

On the other hand, this result may have sapped a lot of the confidence United had build through their recent run of good results. Results they had achieved by hook or by crook. Going into a run of games that includes Spurs, Liverpool, City and Chelsea it may have a very negative effect on the team. (I suppose there is always the possibility that the result drives them to work their socks off for the next few games...).

Thoughts?

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:37 am

I think it makes little difference either way. If the continue playing the way the have been they'll not be top 4, simple as that really.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:38 am

Effectively, without Arsenal playing that well, they won at OT & It's obvious this United side has been papering over cracks for a long time against smaller sides & having ridiculous amounts of luck, which won't continue.. Now the big fixtures are coming, United will be exposed for what they are & the weaknesses exploited, especially in midfield & at the back.. Be amazed if United didn't lose two or three over the next six games, given the opposition, so their rivals need to capitalise.

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:46 am

To be honest I was thinking before the Arsenal game that they may well lose the next 3 games in a row. Must be a very real concern for United fans after last night.

Could be the spark they need to start actually playing though! I know most people would point to the 3-0 loss to United in December as the turning point of Liverpools season. Whilst I understand the situation is slightly different, as it was more the change of system in that game and overall performance that gave us the kick we needed, it doesn't change the fact that it was a loss (and a heavy one scoreline wise) that started our turn around.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:48 am

PS just noticed John that you and I joined the forum within about a day of eachother. You seem to contribute ever so slightly more to things than I do...

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:52 pm

The up coming games for United will be pivotal. I don't see how losing will somehow spurn United on to another level, this is their level, under LVG there has been no progression or increase in tempo or creativity. People keep banging on about 'time', what they really mean is 'money'. LVG in 6-8 months has shown his input is clearly not working & he has run out of ideas tactically, therefore the only option now is player personnel to change & that means bailing out the 'world class' manager, by throwing another £150m at the project.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:00 pm

He does seem to be almost stubbornly refusing to play Mata. His goalscoring record for United is pretty good in a team that need an extra goal or two.

Personally think he's got a hell of a clearout to do in the summer, and maybe the United chiefs will now realise that Moyes was right about having a look at players before making a decision on an evolution.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:20 pm

Playing mata is like having 10 men. He has a decent goal scoring record when playing more centrally but doesn't really create much.

Players underperforming unfortunately, aside from de gea no one can really take any credit for performance this season.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:22 pm

Rooney's played pretty well, and has worked hard, when I have seen Utd play.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:32 pm

Looks like LVG's philosophy of back passing to the keeper & conceding is being taught at every level at United. U-21's 1-0 down against Spurs, carbon copy of the Welbeck goal last night picard

There is also a £280k a week striker playing in the reserves, not sure who he is

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:34 pm

There is also an overrated RB & a former Barcelona keeper playing for the U21's to get match fitness before De Gea jumps from the sinking ship that is Man Utd Whistle

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:30 pm

We Go Again! The 2014/15 Premier League Thread  - Page 14 B_r4qZBWAAAkdlI

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:32 pm

Falcao is being subbed off. He's been poor in truth and has done more harm than good to United's attacks picard

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:01 pm

Ent wrote:Playing mata is like having 10 men. He has a decent goal scoring record when playing more centrally but doesn't really create much.

Players underperforming unfortunately, aside from de gea no one can really take any credit for performance this season.

I do find your insistence that Mata is poor quite funny. Mata or RVP? Mata or Falcao? The way things are going, Mata or Januzaj? You play Mata in a team with two immobile forwards then his ability won't be showcased.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:07 pm

When is he going to show his ability?

He's weak on the ball, lacks pace and doesn't make penetrating passes. He isn't a great no 10 and can't play wide. Doesn't press well and we don't have a good enough side to carry him.

Can score a goal and puts in a good freekick/corner but that's it really.

There is a reason mourinho got rid and lvg doesn't fancy him.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:19 am

There's also a reason he was Chelsea's best player for two years. You've got a static team full of underperforming players, Mata being singled out for more criticism is a bit funny.

I'd actually rather watch a United team with Mata behind Rooney and Wilson, or just behind Rooney who then will stay forward more as the lone man, than the ones that have played this season.

Or you could stick with Fellaini

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:24 am

Fellaini is poor but he is playing the role asked of him. Mata doesn't have the quality to play the role asked of him and has other negatives.

Mata is incredibly static, him in behind Rooney and we wouldn't get a kick in games in attack (we make the odd foray currently).
I'd love him to be a great number 10 or play maker in the mould of silva, messi etc but he isn't and therefore he isn't playing.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:46 am

I'd certainly not jettison him, he's stuck in a side that won't see his strengths currently because the strikers he's had ahead of him, mainly RVP, don't make any runs.

And at the moment there are some players who could make your forays more incisive. Mata certainly adds more than Fellaini, and having Di Maria and Young making runs, Rooney using his movement and even ruddy Wilson would be the kind of players Mata can play with

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:16 am

He hasn't been when played, he wasn't last year. It is him, not everyone else. His passing is actually quite limited for a "playmaker".

Rvp is our only forward who makes runs or has intelligent movement.

In our only good period of the season he was fit and carrick was back in the side and looking to find him.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:50 am

RVP's burst movement in tight situations has been notably awful this year. He's fine in lots of space, which would makes sense for Carrick passing from deeper, but in tight play he doesnt test a defender.

Again, he's scored goals. Not enough of your players have done that. And its still been in a team that has generally been poor, yet you single him out. From both Moyes and LVG's teams that sorely lacked pace. You need pace off a player like him.

Not to mention of course that your best player behind De Gea is Carrick

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:53 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Not to mention of course that your best player behind De Gea is Carrick
I know Carrick sits deep but come on Laugh

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:06 am

Ent talking nonsense, not only has LVG been clueless, some of the fans haven't got a clue either. To label Mata's passing as poor is laughable, given his technical ability, past success, goals & assists return, which has been very good at United. Mata had like 10+ goals in 12 or so performances carrying over from last season into this campaign. Singling him out is typical of a United fan looking for some excuse to the side problems, when in fact, the problems are not isolated, but found all over the shop, right from the defence to a striking option of Falcao & RVP, who have been quite frankly embarrassing.

Ent's line of 'RVP is the only striker making runs or has intelligent movement' sums it up. Complete opposite. RVP this year has been like a traffic cone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:14 am

No he hasn't.

He mostly hasn't been fit and he doesn't get passed to when he makes a run. When he was fit and carrick was playing he got a few goals and we had some good results.

Mata can't be a scape goat for poor performances as he isn't playing and if you think he is a good incisive, creative passer you've never seen him play.

Ive already said no one but de gea can take any credit this season in this thread - please read posts properly or don't respond.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:26 am

Yet you don't even consider the prospect of Mata olaying, that's why I think you single him out

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:27 am

Azzy wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Not to mention of course that your best player behind De Gea is Carrick
I know Carrick sits deep but come on Laugh

It's that quarterback role Wink

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:50 am

Ent wrote:No he hasn't.

He mostly hasn't been fit and he doesn't get passed to when he makes a run. When he was fit and carrick was playing he got a few goals and we had some good results.

Mata can't be a scape goat for poor performances as he isn't playing and if you think he is a good incisive, creative passer you've never seen him play.Ive already said no one but de gea can take any credit this season in this thread - please read posts properly or don't respond.

Love this post. 'Im right, and if you disagree, you have never seen Mata play'. Clearly differing opinions have no place on a sports forum...

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballLight Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:52 pm

lfc91 wrote:

Mata can't be a scape goat for poor performances as he isn't playing and if you think he is a good incisive, creative passer you've never seen him play. Ive already said no one but de gea can take any credit this season in this thread - please read posts properly or don't respond.

Love this post. 'Im right, and if you disagree, you have never seen Mata play'. Clearly differing opinions have no place on a sports forum...

Just to reiterate, this is a really good point to make out there. Whistle

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:15 pm

lfc91 wrote:

Mata can't be a scape goat for poor performances as he isn't playing and if you think he is a good incisive, creative passer you've never seen him play.Ive already said no one but de gea can take any credit this season in this thread - please read posts properly or don't respond.

Ent has baffling opinions on Man United's players, he defended Nani season after season despite doing nothing and being poor but has done nothing but criticise Mata since he's signed for us despite being one of our better players.

Mata isn't playing because we are cynically using Fellaini as a physical presence just to get that top four spot, once champions league football is secured, Fellaini will get ditched and Mata will be reintroduced.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next