The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French Open 2011 - So Far

2 posters

Go down

French Open 2011 - So Far Empty French Open 2011 - So Far

Post by legendkillar Sat 28 May 2011, 7:18 pm

So guys, what do we think of the French Open campaign so far?

Mens last 16 is decided and 5 unseeded players are still in with a shout. Not sure how long it has been since this feat occured in a Grand Slam.

Ladies last 16 has 15 seeds left and just the 1 unseeded player.

Normally I would expect it to be the other way round.

Cannot wait to see what the next couple of days play brings.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

French Open 2011 - So Far Empty Re: French Open 2011 - So Far

Post by Guest Sat 28 May 2011, 10:46 pm

Topsy-turvy is what I describe this years FO.

As usual, the locals are revolting against what should be seen as a once yearly tennis extravaganza for the home crowd, but numbers dwindle and only beef up for the top stars. This makes the whole atmosphere as that of a challenger event in Outer Mongolia in the rainy season during the great famine and horse cull of the 1850's.

Not sure what it is that's makes them disappear like a vampire in the sun, but you would think that they would embrace such an event as this with a bit more support for an Open competition that is only on their soil through tradition and historical relevance.

To me, they don't deserve it, there are far better places to hold something like this that would get a whole heap more attendance and make the event a far greater spectacle than it is now.

Murray's 1st round match was deserted, nobody bothered to turn up, even his match today wasn't exactly what I would call "brimming" with enthusiasm, even though the stadium was 3/4's full.

But apart from that, the matches have been good, a few surprises here and there, but the seeds have done their thing in the end.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 29 May 2011, 6:27 am

I am really impressed with the way Roger is playing, maybe the new balls are playing a bit quicker and it looks that the French is playing just a tad bit faster. Andy Murray has seemed to figure out how to win on clay. Soderling is still hitting the ball real well and could make an interesting quarterfinal against Nadal. Djokovic still looking like he is unstoppable. Nadal doesn't look as fearsome as in years past but it is hard to bet against the greatest clay courter of all time. So far none of the really big contenders (murray, fed, nadal, djoko, or del po) have been knocked out of the tournament on the men's side so it looks like we are going to have some big matchups come the quarters and semis.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down