The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Regional A League?

+3
GavinDragon
LordDowlais
Coleman
7 posters

Go down

Regional A League? Empty Regional A League?

Post by Coleman Thu 12 Mar 2015, 8:53 am

Just heard on the Radio that we're looking to play at least 8 A team games next season. Richard Hodges seems pretty keen on it. They report said maybe once a month on a monday to let players put them self in the shop window for the first team. They didn't state it would be an A League. But it could be the start. I'm assuming it'll be friendlies vs other regions and the close English A team sides (Bris, Glos, Worcs, Bath). Seems like a step in the right direction to me.

Last edited by Coleman on Fri 13 Mar 2015, 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Regional A League? Empty Re: Regional A League?

Post by LordDowlais Thu 12 Mar 2015, 9:19 am

The Ospreys and the Blues did one earlier in the season, was quite succsessful as well, they had over a thousand fans turn up for it.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Thu 12 Mar 2015, 9:23 am

Aye, it was a decent game as well. Be nice if they kept them free like that one was.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 12 Mar 2015, 9:25 am

Coleman wrote:Aye, it was a decent game as well. Be nice if they kept them free like that one was.

Did you go ?

Here's a link to the topic I wrote about it on here, seems a lot of people enjoyed it:-

https://www.606v2.com/t56046-blues-a-v-ospreys-a-monday-20th-oct-715-pm-arms-park

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Thu 12 Mar 2015, 9:33 am

Yeah I was there, it was a really good atmosphere for the size of the crowd. They limited the spectators to the south stand and the O's brought a pretty fair crowd with them too. I'd be well up for a game like that every month and if it's on a monday the players can still be released back to their clubs for saturday. Lou Reed played in it and it seemed to do him a world of good.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu 12 Mar 2015, 11:24 am

think it definately needs to happen a great idea

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Thu 12 Mar 2015, 11:59 am

Been thinking on it. 8 Games could be a fully Welsh A league. Round Robin of 6 games each, three at home, three away. Then a knock out at the end. Semi 1v4 and 2v3. Final and a 3rd place play off game makes 8 games in total. It's also a good chance to move the games around the region. Games in Merthyr/Ponty (Blues) Bridgend/Neath (O's) Carmarthen/Aber (Scarlets) & Ebbw/Pool (Dragons). I understand that i'm miles ahead of myself as nothing has been officially announced. But it's a good oppertunity for players and the regions.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 12 Mar 2015, 1:09 pm

Would it not make more sense to enter the regional 'A' teams, into the British and Irish Cup instead off 4 Welsh Prem teams?

I would say it is more beneficial for Scarlets and for Welsh rugby in general that Scarlets 'A' plays instead of Carmarthen Quins same for any region.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu 12 Mar 2015, 4:37 pm

It would also benefit the club - cross keys have been mucked around by having to import whole sides in to represent them this season and it hasnt worked

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 12 Mar 2015, 7:03 pm

Coleman wrote:Been thinking on it. 8 Games could be a fully Welsh A league. Round Robin of 6 games each, three at home, three away. Then a knock out at the end. Semi 1v4 and 2v3. Final and a 3rd place play off game makes 8 games in total. It's also a good chance to move the games around the region. Games in Merthyr/Ponty (Blues) Bridgend/Neath (O's) Carmarthen/Aber (Scarlets) & Ebbw/Pool (Dragons). I understand that i'm miles ahead of myself as nothing has been officially announced. But it's a good oppertunity for players and the regions.

Or Cowbridge, Ynysybwl, Rhayader, Barry, etc. Plenty to choose from.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 12 Mar 2015, 7:06 pm

Kingshu wrote:Would it not make more sense to enter the regional 'A' teams, into the British and Irish Cup instead off 4 Welsh Prem teams?

I would say it is more beneficial for Scarlets and for Welsh rugby in general that Scarlets 'A' plays instead of Carmarthen Quins same for any region.

Now there's a thought. Wonder what Steff thinks about all this.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Mar 2015, 9:59 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Kingshu wrote:Would it not make more sense to enter the regional 'A' teams, into the British and Irish Cup instead off 4 Welsh Prem teams?

Shaft the prem clubs that were (perceived to be) shafted by regional rugby? Ouch! Where's Robin Hood when you need him!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 12 Mar 2015, 11:38 pm

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Shaft the prem clubs that were (perceived to be) shafted by regional rugby? Ouch! Where's Robin Hood when you need him!

Nevermind who supposedly shafted who. The advent of pro rugby was the shafter anyway I guess.
What i'm getting at is that the aforementioned suggestions are that Ponty be replaced by Cardiff Blues A in the B&I cup and that they play some home games at The House of Pain. Can't see Ponty fans embracing that idea at all.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 13 Mar 2015, 12:05 am

No LV next season.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 13 Mar 2015, 7:46 am

well if you (the blues) offered it but they rejected that is their problem and you have the moral high ground

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Fri 13 Mar 2015, 9:13 am

My thoughts on the B&I are that we should still be letting the Prem teams qualify on merit. These games at the start of the season are silly. If Ponty, Carmarthen, Ebbw and Keys finish in the top four then let them play. I know it dosnt help the O's not having a team but at some point you have to reward the Prem teams. I'm of the opinion that the winner deserves a place in the new "thied tier" comp next season or the Amlin. Ponty would have been a much better game than Rovigo. The regional A teams can be a reward for aspiring prem players and a route to form for players who are coming back from injury as well as giving the academy lads more game time at a higher level.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 13 Mar 2015, 9:27 am

In the B&I this year even though Carmarthen Quins were the participants from the Scarlets region, they did field a number of players who are Llanelli RFC and Llandovery RFC players, as well as the likes of Jordan Williams (who was out of favour with Pivac at the time). So they were in essence a Scarlets A side, but with the home games being played in Carmarthen, and the revenues earned going to the Quins.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 13 Mar 2015, 9:28 am

GavinDragon wrote:well if you (the blues) offered it but they rejected that is their problem and you have the moral high ground

Do not even go there with this. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 13 Mar 2015, 11:56 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:In the B&I this year even though Carmarthen Quins were the participants from the Scarlets region, they did field a number of players who are Llanelli RFC and Llandovery RFC players, as well as the likes of Jordan Williams (who was out of favour with Pivac at the time).  So they were in essence a Scarlets A side, but with the home games being played in Carmarthen, and the revenues earned going to the Quins.

Sounds like a semi-pro team with a few pro players in the ranks. An A team should be fully professional and in the B&I cup. During the B&I cup I think the premiership should pause.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 13 Mar 2015, 2:35 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:well if you (the blues) offered it but they rejected that is their problem and you have the moral high ground

What do you mean?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Mar 2015, 3:09 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Nevermind who supposedly shafted who. The advent of pro rugby was the shafter anyway I guess.
What i'm getting at is that the aforementioned suggestions are that Ponty be replaced by Cardiff Blues A in the B&I cup and that they play some home games at The House of Pain. Can't see Ponty fans embracing that idea at all.

I was agreeing with you! Those fans won't be happy.

I should have quoted Kingshu instead of you I suppose.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 13 Mar 2015, 4:08 pm

GavinDragon wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

What do you mean?

Don't tell 'im, Pike!

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 13 Mar 2015, 4:11 pm

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

I was agreeing with you! Those fans won't be happy.

Agreed.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 13 Mar 2015, 7:38 pm

The Saint wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:In the B&I this year even though Carmarthen Quins were the participants from the Scarlets region, they did field a number of players who are Llanelli RFC and Llandovery RFC players, as well as the likes of Jordan Williams (who was out of favour with Pivac at the time).  So they were in essence a Scarlets A side, but with the home games being played in Carmarthen, and the revenues earned going to the Quins.

Sounds like a semi-pro team with a few pro players in the ranks. An A team should be fully professional and in the B&I cup. During the B&I cup I think the premiership should pause.

That is what the Irish do I understand as in; Munster A, Leinster A, Ulster R. It'll happen in Wales too I reckon with a proper A league as well.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 13 Mar 2015, 7:53 pm

Coleman wrote:My thoughts on the B&I are that we should still be letting the Prem teams qualify on merit. These games at the start of the season are silly. If Ponty, Carmarthen, Ebbw and Keys finish in the top four then let them play. I know it dosnt help the O's not having a team but at some point you have to reward the Prem teams. I'm of the opinion that the winner deserves a place in the new "thied tier" comp next season or the Amlin. Ponty would have been a much better game than Rovigo. The regional A teams can be a reward for aspiring prem players and a route to form for players who are coming back from injury as well as giving the academy lads more game time at a higher level.

I dunno. Rovigo registered 12 points at least.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 13 Mar 2015, 11:07 pm

I do believe that there is some joined up thinking going on at last (even at Cardiff HQ I reckon, but you never can tell with them lot), now that doomed Dodger has all but gone and GD in the chair. PRW, having got their act together, are waiting, waiting.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down