The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super Saturday, Game 2: Scotland v Ireland

+77
Hood83
brennomac
doctornickolas
yappysnap
The Bachelor
WELL-PAST-IT
BamBam
VinceWLB
Doddy76
nobbled
Heaf
stub
monty junior
offload
TheMildlyFranticLlama
HQ matt
glamorganalun
mystiroakey
The Saint
TightHEAD
quinsforever
Steffan
nathan
Golden
21st Century Schizoid Man
maestegmafia
Rory_Gallagher
the-goon
The Great Aukster
Marshes
BlueMuff
wolfball
alive555
Tattie Scones RRN
cp10
theslosty
Sin é
profitius
Pete330v2
Engine#4
marty2086
Cyril
Pot Hale
GunsGerms
kunu
cakeordeath
bsando
RuggerRadge2611
MacKnocked-on
Majestic83
rodders
ME-109
Scottish White Line Fever
Nachos Jones_1
asoreleftshoulder
kilo-doug
R!skysports
rapidsnowman
GLove39
Weegie Wizard
lostinwales
TJ
Jimpy
LondonTiger
tigertattie
RDW
jimbopip
EWT Spoons
Nematode
majesticimperialman
Notch
demosthenes
SecretFly
BigGee
funnyExiledScot
sensisball
George Carlin
81 posters

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

Go down

Super Saturday, Game 2: Scotland v Ireland Empty Super Saturday, Game 2: Scotland v Ireland

Post by George Carlin Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:42 pm

Super Saturday, Game 2: Scotland v Ireland Scot_f10     Super Saturday, Game 2: Scotland v Ireland Irelan10
SCOTLAND v IRELAND
Saturday 21 March 2015
KO: 14:30
BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh

Referee: Jérôme Garcès (FFR)
AR1: Pascal Gauzere (FFR)
AR2: Federico Anselmi (UAR)
TMO: Graham Hughes (RFU)

A. Teams

SCOTLAND
Super Saturday, Game 2: Scotland v Ireland Glasgo10
15 Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors)
14 Dougie Fife (Edinburgh Rugby)
13 Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors)
12 Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby)
11 Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors)
10 Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors)
09 Greig Laidlaw (Gloucester)

01 Ryan Grant (Glasgow Warriors)
02 Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby)
03 Euan Murray (Glasgow Warriors)
04 Jim Hamilton (Saracens)
05 Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors)
06 Adam Ashe (Glasgow Warriors)
07 Blair Cowan (London Irish)
08 David Denton (Edinburgh Rugby)

16 Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors)
17 Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby)
18 Geoff Cross (London Irish)
19 Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors)
20 Rob Harley (Glasgow Warriors)
21 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Edinburgh Rugby)
22 Greig Tonks (Edinburgh Rugby)
23 Tim Visser (Edinburgh Rugby)

IRELAND
Super Saturday, Game 2: Scotland v Ireland Father10
15 Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
14 Tommy Bowe (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
13 Jared Payne (Ulster)
12 Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Connacht)
11 Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock/Leinster)
10 Johnny Sexton (Racing Metro)
09 Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)

01 Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
02 Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
03 Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
04 Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster)
05 Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster) captain
06 Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster)
07 Sean O'Brien (UCD/Leinster)
08 Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University/Leinster)

16 Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
17 Jack McGrath (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
18 Martin Moore (Lansdowne/Leinster)
19 Iain Henderson (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
20 Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
21 Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
22 Ian Madigan (Blackrock/Leinster)
23 Felix Jones (Shannon/Munster)

B. Head to Head

119 Played 119

58 Wins 56

56 Losses 58

5 Draws 5

187 Tries 200

96 Conversions 102

128 Penalties 104

32 Drop Goals 15

1,234 Points 1,301

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Super Saturday, Game 2: Scotland v Ireland Empty Re: Super Saturday, Game 2: Scotland v Ireland

Post by sensisball Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:51 pm

If Laidlaw starts and his kicking doesn't get any better, then we will play into Ireland's hands and we will lose handsomely.
Injury concerns over Russell and Scott don't help our cause either.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Super Saturday, Game 2: Scotland v Ireland Empty Re: Super Saturday, Game 2: Scotland v Ireland

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:54 pm

I like symmetry, and on that basis I think we should let Ireland win the next two games to balance the statistics.

I can't see us matching the now legendary World Class heroic efforts of the Welsh defence. By way of contrast whereas they had Luke Charteris making 31 tackes, we have Jim Hamilton, whose career tackle count is still in single figures.

I shall, quoting Mark Butcher, be watching this one from behind the sofa.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:55 pm

How are the Irish likely to be effected by losing that game on Saturday. Apart from being physically battered they must be feeling it was a game they should have won and that they have thrown away a chance of a grand slam. I thought they were going to win even when they were 12-0 down!

This could deflate them or galvanise them, not sure which it will be.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:00 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I like symmetry, and on that basis I think we should let Ireland win the next two games to balance the statistics.

I can't see us matching the now legendary World Class heroic efforts of the Welsh defence. By way of contrast whereas they had Luke Charteris making 31 tackes, we have Jim Hamilton, whose career tackle count is still in single figures.

The only hope I'll drop on that one Exiled is to inform you that Irish players have a habit of making tackling stats against them easy as they usually run straight for a tackler - over and over and over again.
If Ireland play like the usually do - headless chicken style with skulls made of diamonds - then it's really on for Scotland to take the tackle count record straight off Wales.  Just sit and wait is the message of the day - there is an 'elusive' Irish back or forward coming straight for you every 10 seconds. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:58 pm

sensisball wrote:If Laidlaw starts and his kicking doesn't get any better, then we will play into Ireland's hands and we will lose handsomely.
Injury concerns over Russell and Scott don't help our cause either.

I don't see Russell mentioned as an injury concern in the SRU update today?

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:52 pm

SecretFly wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I like symmetry, and on that basis I think we should let Ireland win the next two games to balance the statistics.

The only hope I'll drop on that one Exiled is to inform you that Irish players have a habit of making tackling stats against them easy as they usually run straight for a tackler - over and over and over again.
If Ireland play like the usually do - headless chicken style with skulls made of diamonds - then it's really on for Scotland to take the tackle count record straight off Wales.  Just sit and wait is the message of the day - there is an 'elusive' Irish back or forward coming straight for you every 10 seconds. Wink

I think that is a tad harsh. Bowe ran some pretty handy lines against Wales, they just read it well.

I'll have no complaining from the Irish on here. I'm not sure if Scotland actually scored a try in the 00s.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:55 pm

BigGee wrote:How are the Irish likely to be effected by losing that game on Saturday. Apart from being physically battered they must be feeling it was a game they should have won and that they have thrown away a chance of a grand slam. I thought they were going to win even when they were 12-0 down!

I imagine it will mean they have a chip on the shoulder and a serious point to prove now. Scotland also have a chip on the shoulder; they do not want to finish with the wooden spoon.

Should be an excellent game.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:04 pm

This is a game that neither team will want to lose. Scotland will not want to lose because it will be a whitewash. Ireland will not want to lose because they lost against Wales.

I guess it will come down to who has the most/less injuries.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:06 pm

Notch wrote:
BigGee wrote:How are the Irish likely to be effected by losing that game on Saturday. Apart from being physically battered they must be feeling it was a game they should have won and that they have thrown away a chance of a grand slam. I thought they were going to win even when they were 12-0 down!

I imagine it will mean they have a chip on the shoulder and a serious point to prove now. Scotland also have a chip on the shoulder; they do not want to finish with the wooden spoon.

Should be an excellent game.

Hasn't done us any good so far!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:56 pm

We need:

1) Leadership & experience: Kelly Brown (Past captain of Scotland and sometimes Saracens) and John Barclay (often captain of Scarlets) would give that but we're not going to see it. Sure, Kelly Brown might be a bit old and not do another 10 years but we aren't in the business of winning world cups - we need to be getting wins now. Look at Dusautoir - he leads by example and has good leadership - we desperately need that.

2) Admit where we are: Sorry, but if you did a drinking game for Scottish Rugby you'd forever be doing shots after hearing 'there are some positives'. Just admit there was no net improvement. This should include binning Laidlaw - he'd be more at home advertising a stairlift than playing rugby given how fast he's been to the ruck. He isn't on form so don't pick him. When he does return to form (such as the recent Argentina game) then pick him. He can't be undropable.  

3) Win ugly, don't lose in 'style': I'd rather see the forwards truck it up and the backs focus on defence ala Robinson era and be competitive than have a weak pack and, let's face it, pretty average and arrogant backs.

VC has had enough time to make the necessary changes and hasn't, so I really can't be bothered supporting Scotland atm. France had a poor start and have been mediocre this 6N - big deal we NEARLY beat them. Wales were in 3rd gear when we played them AND we hardly created anything. We lost to Italy who then got smashed by France and England should have hit 50 against us if they'd concentrated.

If we continue like this, it'll be the USA and Japan that we should be worried about losing to, not SA and Samoa.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:01 pm

Are there any Scotland fans out there who are expecting their side to win?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:07 pm

Notch wrote:Are there any Scotland fans out there who are expecting their side to win?

No. It's just a case of by how much we'll lose.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:12 pm

That's the spirit.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:19 am

See this is why this is far and away my favourite match of the Six nations, especially when you are discussing it on a forum. It really is by far the most laid-back and enjoyable game in terms of how the fans get on.

When Ireland play Italy and France
Irish Fans; "I think we're going to win"
<no-one responds as there are very few Italian and French fans on English-speaking forums or reading the English-speaking press>

When Ireland play Wales and England
Wales/England Fans; "No, we're gonna win. You're team is overrated and will be shown up"
<The two sets of fans engage in dick waving activities for an unspecified amount of time, sometimes politely hiding their dislike of the others team and at other times being openly confrontational>

When Ireland Play Scotland
Irish Fans; "I think we're gonna win"
Scottish fans; "That seems likely, yes."
Irish Fans; "Okay... pints?"
Scottish Fans; "You're buying"
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:30 am

Notch wrote:When Ireland Play Scotland

Seems only fair

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:40 am

Notch wrote:See this is why this is far and away my favourite match of the Six nations, especially when you are discussing it on a forum. It really is by far the most laid-back and enjoyable game in terms of how the fans get on.

When Ireland play Italy and France
<no-one responds as there are very few Italian and French fans on English-speaking forums or reading the English-speaking press>

When Ireland play Wales and England
Wales/England Fans; "No, we're gonna win. You're team is overrated and will be shown up"
<The two sets of fans engage in dick waving activities for an unspecified amount of time, sometimes politely hiding their dislike of the others team and at other times being openly confrontational>

When Ireland Play Scotland
In an inebriated nutshell. Hug
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:54 am

[quote="EWT Spoons"]
Notch wrote:When Ireland Play Scotland

I can't make it to the Library: can you send a few beers to my place? cider

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:47 am

Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:03 am

Timehop tells me that 3 years ago I wrote on social media:

Great quote from the Scotsman this morning:

" Scottish rugby fans are not hard to please.  They are the least demanding supporters of any major nation in the world game, a group so ground down by the incessant mediocrity of what they have been forced to watch for so many year that small mercies make for big reactions"

Still seems pretty relevant 3 years on! And that in itself says something.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:49 am

I've been saying it all along, I do not actually fear Ireland! They are ineffective with ball in hand!

However, i also said we should beat Italy so..................
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:53 am

After rabid optimism pre round 1, to guarded optimism after round 2, Scottish fans have hit the bottom of the glass again.

However there has actiually only been one poor performance - and that was the, at times, brainless display against Italy. Even then you should have won.

Against England, Scotland were not as poor as you wish to believe - and despite the negatism coming from most English fans atm, we were actually pretty good.

Ireland shoudl probably win - but not guaranteed.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:56 am

Joe has turned on the 'Effective with Ball in Hand' switch though - he thought he wouldn't have to use it until the World Cup. But those pesky Welsh kids put the spanner in the works of course.

So he has it warming up as we speak but I hope it has enough time. Usually takes 8 days for a full charge.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:59 am

I've got a sneaking suspicion Scotland are going to win this one....

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:59 am

How about.......................emmmmmmmmmmmmmm........... Whistle .........................
how about ............................. Hug ....................................... yis let us win?

Come on now. What's the better option? England winning the Championship? The Welsh cousins winning the Championship? Or the Irish cousins winning the Championship??? We have Daniel O'Donnell after all....so....

Well, have a think about it anyway. Just putting it out there for Cotter to mull over.......

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:00 am

Notch wrote:Are there any Scotland fans out there who are expecting their side to win?

I doubt it. given the various styles of play involved I think Ireland might well be our toughest game

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:01 am

Schmidt's Leinster were the best passing side I have seen. Their ability to create space with a well timed pass was sublime. Payne and Henshaw do not have that level of skill. I suspect that instead Uncle Joe has switched on the "run down blind alleys" switch.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:02 am

LondonTiger wrote:Schmidt's Leinster were the best passing side I have seen. Their ability to create space with a well timed pass was sublime. Payne and Henshaw do not have that level of skill. I suspect that instead Uncle Joe has switched on the "run down blind alleys" switch.

The Welsh turned that one off though. Whistle

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:02 am

SecretFly wrote:Joe has turned on the 'Effective with Ball in Hand' switch though - he thought he wouldn't have to use it until the World Cup.  But those pesky Welsh kids put the spanner in the works of course.

So he has it warming up as we speak but I hope it has enough time.   Usually takes 8 days for a full charge.  

The triumph of hope over experience..

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:05 am

lostinwales wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Joe has turned on the 'Effective with Ball in Hand' switch though - he thought he wouldn't have to use it until the World Cup.  But those pesky Welsh kids put the spanner in the works of course.

So he has it warming up as we speak but I hope it has enough time.   Usually takes 8 days for a full charge.  

The triumph of hope over experience..

Oh no hope at all would be more accurate, Lost. It'll be up and over and in the air for 75 mins I reckon. Scots will all be off to the docs for strained neck muscles after it. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:07 am

As this seems at risk of becoming a bit of a love in...

Scotland are going to win this. Ireland are over-rated and don't play any decent rugby.

And Gatland was right to play JD in the 3rd test boxing

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:16 am

Leave it to a guy from Glasgow to put the glass in. I can take anything but talk of JD!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:19 am

SecretFly wrote:Leave it to a guy from Glasgow to put the glass in.  I can take anything but talk of JD!
What on earth would you be implying, old chap?:
Super Saturday, Game 2: Scotland v Ireland Glasgo11
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:23 am

Nah, that's an Irish Choke Tackle badly done. The ref will see the infringement.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:54 am

TJ wrote:

I doubt it.  given the various styles of play involved I think Ireland might well be our toughest game

Are you referring to Ireland being good at the breakdown, and Scotland not really bothering with it?

I think you're right. If Wales couldn't get any ball from the Irish, I really can't see us doing it. It also concerns me that Tommy Bowe keeps running these angles off his wing. I suspect we'll be staring down the barrel of a few line breaks on Saturday, and I'm not sure Ireland will extend us the same courtesy as Burrell and Youngs.

Whilst I hate the idea of moving players out of position, given that Harley doesn't seem too bothered about rugby at the moment, Cotter may consider moving Cowan to 6 and starting Watson at 7.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:04 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
TJ wrote:

I doubt it.  given the various styles of play involved I think Ireland might well be our toughest game

Are you referring to Ireland being good at the breakdown, and Scotland not really bothering with it?

I think you're right. If Wales couldn't get any ball from the Irish, I really can't see us doing it. It also concerns me that Tommy Bowe keeps running these angles off his wing. I suspect we'll be staring down the barrel of a few line breaks on Saturday, and I'm not sure Ireland will extend us the same courtesy as Burrell and Youngs.

Whilst I hate the idea of moving players out of position, given that Harley doesn't seem too bothered about rugby at the moment, Cotter may consider moving Cowan to 6 and starting Watson at 7.

Not just the breakdown but also the aerial battle. Ireland are probably the best 6N side at kicking and catching, we are probably the worst.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:27 am

Wales are actually the most accomplished kick/catch team operating in the Six Nations this year.  Maybe don't do as much of it as Ireland but actually more accomplished at it when they do
Ireland are honestly average at everything this season - except perhaps the breakdown area, where bar Barnes interpretations and a few not fully game-fit returning players, I think Ireland's true strength rests.  
I think they sacrificed a little of that in the Welsh game too in order to keep their eyes and ears out for any Welsh smart stuff on the fringes.  So they probably didn't sometimes put enough bodies in there.
But I think Ireland have been winning (until last weekend) because we've been resolutely average at everything - which in an overall context is probably better than being hopeless at some things and great at others.  
Yet, there was a taste of how Ireland might operate in a faster vein when Reddan came on, but not nearly enough or in the proper game (we were chasing) to draw any conclusions of how successful it might be through 80 mins.

I think I'm finally beginning to understand Joe Schmidt's stubbornness in playing it all so 'boring' and 'safe' - and why he persists and persists, even when a little invention might have made certain games easier on his players.
I'm not so sure he'll chase for points/tries.  I think his methods are long term and I'm not sure he'll sacrifice the method by breaking the rhythm and trying to chase whatever Wales might score in Italy.
I hope he does chase whatever Wales lays down, but unfortunately I think he might maintain the stubborn streak of 'boredom' for his long term goals.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:31 am

More common sense from Mikey B on the Beeb.

I really wish that someone would use him more as co-commentator rather than the cycloptic Nichol.

Six Nations: Scotland need to trust their system - Mike Blair
Again, there were plenty of talking points after Scotland's defeat by England on Saturday; technically, tactically and psychologically.

Some positives, some negatives and a few questions too, I'd imagine. I'll touch on a couple of them.

The kicking game, or "exit strategy", has become one of the key components of professional rugby in the last two years and, the higher the level, the greater the importance.

Most teams will have a marker on the pitch where their exit strategy extends to - often the half-way line - and they will use a number of different set plays to get a chase line on their feet, blockers in place and the right player executing the correct kick.

Scotland lost the territory battle on Saturday, resulting in plenty of "exits" forced upon them.

The strategy was fairly visible - competitive kicks were the order of the day - and, when the correct process was performed, the results were good. A couple of competitive kicks were won back and full-back Stuart Hogg torpedoed a few 60 metre pearlers, but the percentage of successful outcomes was low.

There were examples of blockers not being in place, such as when Courtney Lawes caught Finn Russell behind his try line, or in the second half when Hogg was in at first receiver and the blockers were protecting the scrum-half's foot rather than Hogg. The result is that George Ford has a clear run and charge-down attempt. The difference is a 15 metre gain compared with a 40 metre gain.

Other components broke down too, resulting in front-foot counter-attack ball, but what I want to make you aware of is that the kicking game is a team set-piece and everyone has a role to play.

A great kick can fix an average chase and, likewise, a great chase can fix an average kick, but if you don't have your blockers, you're playing with one hand tied behind your back. Unfortunately, too often two out of the three components didn't function, giving field position and momentum to England.

In fairness to England, they escorted the Scottish chase line very well, making it hard to get near their catcher - another example of little things having a big knock-on effect.

In terms of the Scotland attack, I think it needs to be a bit more connected. It's mainly a backs thing, but forwards will pop up in the wider channels too.

If the ball is in the air too long from a wide pass then defences can spot the catcher, come out of line and hit man and ball. This happened when a clear overlap was created at the end of the first half down the left-hand side.

With the set-piece back attacks from mauls, I also feel that Hogg at 15 can be ignored by a defending 13 because he's too wide and, if the wide pass was given, the ball is in the air so long that a defensive winger can react and spot the tackle. The more players in a defensive number 13's peripheral vision, the harder it is to defend, too.

Scotland's defence was broken too many times and the majority of breaks came from individuals defending and trying to problem-solve by themselves. Trust the system and work hard. It was too easy for the English at times.

Of course there were positives too from Saturday, not least that Scotland were 13-10 up at half time. The maul defence was a big step-up from the Italian game and, at times, the Scottish attacking shape really tested the English.

As the first half wore on, belief started to surface and there was some cracking interplay in the lead-up to Mark Bennett's try. If you can get quick first-phase ball, the game is so much easier as defensive lines just can't reorganise in time and this knocks on to the second phase and third phase.

Italy was a step back while Saturday produced similar emotions to the defeats inflicted by Wales and France; keep the good stuff and build on it, analyse the poor stuff and don't do it again. If only rugby were that easy.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:35 am

tigertattie wrote:I've been saying it all along, I do not actually fear Ireland! They are ineffective with ball in hand!

However, i also said we should beat Italy so..................

Scrolling down the page & totally misread that last part as, "they are infected with baldness"!

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidsnowman Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:54 am

GLove39 wrote:Scrolling down the page & totally misread that last part as, "they are infected with baldness"!

totally true - riddled with it !

POC is probably the carrier.

Adam Jones has the only known antidote, but he ain't tellin'.

rapidsnowman

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:15 pm

George Carlin wrote:More common sense from Mikey B on the Beeb.

I really wish that someone would use him more as co-commentator rather than the cycloptic Nichol.

Couldn't agree more. Nichol has no insight into rugby whatsoever. It's remarkable that he used to play the game, knowing so little about it!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:16 pm

Blair looks to be a good coach in the making - he really understands the finer points of the game, especially in attack.

Sign him up for Edinburgh - we haven't had an attack coach since Solomons took over!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:49 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Blair looks to be a good coach in the making - he really understands the finer points of the game, especially in attack.

Sign him up for Edinburgh - we haven't had an attack coach since Solomons took over!

Hard to believe isn't it!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:51 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Blair looks to be a good coach in the making - he really understands the finer points of the game, especially in attack.

Presumably Solomons just defers to the small man who cleans the toilets at Murrayfield who, when asked for an opinion on what the team should do at any given time, reads from a small printed cue card which says "I would just kick it".
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:57 pm

I don't think Solomons defers to anyone. I see him as an extremely single minded coach, who upon arriving identified conditioning, set piece and defence as the areas to work on and has let "attack" take care of itself. When you see us play now the organisation in defence is 100 times better than it was before, the physicality in defence is markedly improved and the set piece unrecognisable. In that regard he has succeeded. Problem is that our organisation in attack is now lagging. Mike Blair could potentially fix that.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:41 pm

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Presumably Solomons just defers to the small man who cleans the toilets at Murrayfield who, when asked for an opinion on what the team should do at any given time, reads from a small printed cue card which says "I would just kick it".

I'm imagining Edinburgh in a training montage to a cover of Michael Jacksons 'Beat It'. Except, the words 'Beat It' have been replaced with 'Kick It'

Just kick it, kick it, kick it, kick it
No one wants to be defeated
Step off your left and kick with your right
Ain't Nothin' better than a ball in flight

Just kick it- kick it

"Kick It"- A Jackson/Solomons Joint Production
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:07 pm

We are doooooooomed

That is all

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:04 pm

Riskysports wrote:We are doooooooomed

That is all

Super Saturday, Game 2: Scotland v Ireland Dads-Army-Frazier-doomed

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:24 pm

I really feel that we are living under false pretenses - as Scotland should never be playing under the title Super anything

Can we update the title to

Super Saturday (for Ireland only) -, Game 2: Scotland v Ireland

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:29 pm

What should make it interesting is that Ireland will want to score points. I'm sure we'll hear all the usual guff about "respecting Scotland" and "making sure of the win first and foremost", but Schmidt and the Irish players will certainly want a decent margin of victory here, and for me that's 15 points+.

On the positive side for Scotland this could mean an open game, which should help Bennett, Seymour and Hogg come into the game a bit more.

On the negative side we can expect plenty kicks to the corner for catch and drives, and we are beyond dreadful at dealing with those.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next