The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whom will the ospreys sign for next season?

+13
Cardiff Dave
offload
maestegmafia
The Saint
bedfordwelsh
PenfroPete
Jhamer25
LordDowlais
GavinDragon
formerly known as Sam
ScarletSpiderman
wayne
thespreys
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Whom will the ospreys sign for next season? Empty Whom will the ospreys sign for next season?

Post by thespreys Sun 22 Mar 2015, 10:08 am

Anyone have any thoughts,hopes for incoming players?.

thespreys

Back to top Go down

Whom will the ospreys sign for next season? Empty Re: Whom will the ospreys sign for next season?

Post by wayne Sun 22 Mar 2015, 11:21 am

thespreys wrote:Anyone have any thoughts,hopes for incoming players?.
Spreys the Rugby Paper today by all accounts has said we are very close to signing Gareth Delve, looks like a straight replacement for Morgan Allen who is going to the Scarlets, don't know what is happening with Joe Bearman, he could? be another who is on his way out.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Whom will the ospreys sign for next season? Empty Re: Whom will the ospreys sign for next season?

Post by thespreys Sun 22 Mar 2015, 2:45 pm

any news on new TH or Centre

thespreys

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sun 22 Mar 2015, 6:14 pm

Isn't Francis meant to be a tiggthead target?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 22 Mar 2015, 6:49 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Isn't Francis meant to be a tiggthead target?
Yes you are right SS, although it has gone very quiet, I would have thought it would have been announced when the DCs were unveiled earlier this week.

Spreys, I do have a little bit of inside information occasionally, I get most off the Website and the Fans Forum, there has been a little talk on the forum in the past month or so, before the Francis news that we were in for Castrogiovanni it has gone very quiet on that front lately.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 22 Mar 2015, 10:00 pm

Considering the lengths Toulon went to get him I don't think Castro will be released just yet. Also Francis is doing very well at Exeter, will he want to move away from an improving team and powerful pack to the relative unknown of the Ospreys.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 23 Mar 2015, 10:38 am

I dont think Castro would be the best signing for you. Well over the hill and not as prominent in the scrum as he was (even if he did pulverise Rob Evans on Saturday, although with alot of illegal binding)

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 23 Mar 2015, 11:28 am

Why would the Ospreys be signing Castro when they are signing Paul James ? That makes no sence at all, the Ospreys already have Arhip and Aaron Jarvis and Paul James covers both sides of the scrum, I would not imagine that the Ospreys would sign an older head in Paul james, then sign an even older head in Castro.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 23 Mar 2015, 1:59 pm

Paul James is a loose head and Castro is a tight head. Any changing of sides either undertook for squad depth was some time ago. Certainly James hasn't played tight head for Bath at any point.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 23 Mar 2015, 2:20 pm

Delve and Francis would be awesome signings if they happen. Francis needs to play in Wales becuase he has a future at international level. Ospreys are the best suited region for him.

I thought i heard the other day when watching an Aviva game that Brad Thorn was being linked as cover for the lock crisis at the region

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 23 Mar 2015, 9:52 pm

I'd have thought that the chances of Thorn getting released before his contract expires at the end of the season is about nil. With Deacon retired and Slater injured we're short on enforcers.

Gatland will pick from outside Wales if the player is good enough. Francis can become good enough at Exeter and at 22 he could well choose to stay at a club on the up and with a record of developing young players. At least for a couple more years until the WRU start think dual contract.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 Mar 2015, 8:21 am

Reports comming from my Ospreys spies this morning that Gareth Delve has signed for next season, I do not know how true this is, Wayne I am looking at you for conformation. A certain second row player from Neath during the 90's brought me this news, and he is pretty good with his info. Good signing if it is true. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 24 Mar 2015, 8:55 am

I hope the Ospreys have signed Delve (because the Scarlets were linked with him), as IMO he is going to take a bit of work to get back to standards after spending a season in Japan. He could be one of those huge hit or huge miss type singings.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 Mar 2015, 9:02 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I hope the Ospreys have signed Delve (because the Scarlets were linked with him), as IMO he is going to take a bit of work to get back to standards after spending a season in Japan.  He could be one of those huge hit or huge miss type singings.

Well, from what I am being told SS, if Delve goes to Ospreys, Morgan Allen is going to Scarlets.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 24 Mar 2015, 1:48 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:I hope the Ospreys have signed Delve (because the Scarlets were linked with him), as IMO he is going to take a bit of work to get back to standards after spending a season in Japan.  He could be one of those huge hit or huge miss type singings.

Well, from what I am being told SS, if Delve goes to Ospreys, Morgan Allen is going to Scarlets.
Lord, I have nothing to offer on the Delve rumours other than what I said yesterday, let me just add if Delve is anything like Filo Tiatia who we also signed from Japan, we'll have a gem, the one bit of news that I can confirm, which could affect the Delve situation, Joe Bearman has signed a one year contract extension, by all accounts Morgan Allen signed for the Scarlets weeks ago.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 24 Mar 2015, 1:56 pm

The pikes of du Preez and Kaino were able to go from Japan back to top tier rugby quickly and without form difficulties. The rest period allowed due to the relatively short Japanese system alongside excellent medical care should mean that Delve is in peak physical condition.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue 24 Mar 2015, 5:54 pm

Bit out of the loop in Italy, but the Blues are being linked with Francis - albeit this being touted by the Western Fail http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-target-exeter-chiefs-8907740
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 24 Mar 2015, 8:44 pm

PenfroPete wrote:Bit out of the loop in Italy, but the Blues are being linked with Francis - albeit this being touted by the Western Fail http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-target-exeter-chiefs-8907740
Pete, if you had the option which of the 2 teams who are reputedly in for Francis would you select to play for?

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 24 Mar 2015, 8:53 pm

Would the WRU provide financial help to buy out the final year of Francis's contract? Can't see the Chiefs wanting to let a promising tight head just leave with a year still to go on is contract. Quality tight heads are tough to come by.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 24 Mar 2015, 9:10 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Would the WRU provide financial help to buy out the final year of Francis's contract? Can't see the Chiefs wanting to let a promising tight head just leave with a year still to go on is contract. Quality tight heads are tough to come by.
Probably, if it means that the WRU has a lot more access to him, and obviously the quality tight heads quote is correct, they are like gold dust, the Chiefs wouldn't want to lose him, although he has not been with them for an extensive length of time, it is a bit like the Ben Morgan scenario with the Scarlets and he was with them for longer than Francis has been with Exeter.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 24 Mar 2015, 9:52 pm

Ben Morgan wanted to play international rugby for a coach who refuses point blank to select from outside of his nation,Steffon Armitage can't even get a training spot with the squad. Gatland isn't so picky. He's set a precedent selecting Roberts, Davies, Halfpenny etc ahead of valid Welsh options.

Francis will be playing HEC rugby next year and will be up in the playoffs this season and next. Plenty of big games for him to show up well in the eyes of Gatland. Then again Exeter are a business and every asset has a price.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 24 Mar 2015, 10:02 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Ben Morgan wanted to play international rugby for a coach who refuses point blank to select from outside of his nation,Steffon Armitage can't even get a training spot with the squad. Gatland isn't so picky. He's set a precedent selecting Roberts, Davies, Halfpenny etc ahead of valid Welsh options.

Francis will be playing HEC rugby next year and will be up in the playoffs this season and next. Plenty of big games for him to show up well in the eyes of Gatland. Then again Exeter are a business and every asset has a price.
You are talking about 3 Lions and then you compare a 22 year old who has played what? 18 months or is it even that much in the Aviva, Exeter also have Low on their books so there is no guarantee he will be playing in any of those matches especially NEXT YEARS PLAY OFF'S, and yes as you say they are a business and everyone has their price.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 25 Mar 2015, 5:23 am

I have long been a fan of Delve and if you guys have signed him he will be a great asset.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Wed 25 Mar 2015, 1:37 pm

wayne wrote:
PenfroPete wrote:Bit out of the loop in Italy, but the Blues are being linked with Francis - albeit this being touted by the Western Fail http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-target-exeter-chiefs-8907740
Pete, if you had the option which of the 2 teams who are reputedly in for Francis would you select to play for?

Wayne, if I was Francis I would sign for the O's. However, the WRU may only agree to part fund any deal if he signs for the Blues Wink
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed 25 Mar 2015, 1:43 pm

It would be better for Welsh rugby if he went to the ospreys

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 25 Mar 2015, 1:55 pm

GavinDragon wrote:It would be better for Welsh rugby if he went to the ospreys

Too true, then the Ospreys would have an front row unit of James, Baldwin, Francis playing together regularly, ready for when Wales need them. The Scarlets would have Evans, Owens, Lee doing the same too. So Wales would have two decent sets of front rows who play regular together to call upon, as opposed to bringing in players from different regions and having to spend time to get them back into the swing of playing together.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 25 Mar 2015, 2:46 pm

PenfroPete wrote:
wayne wrote:

Wayne, if I was Francis I would sign for the O's. However, the WRU may only agree to part fund any deal if he signs for the Blues Wink
Pete, most of this speculation came about when an eagle eyed Osprey supporter noted one of a series of Huw Evans Agency photographs of a Welsh Team training session with Steve Tandy seen talking to Francis, it could mean 2+2=4 or some other number, it would be nice to have him, and for my part he would have to force himself past Dmitri Arhip, who has played very well, it could be a good battle.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 25 Mar 2015, 3:03 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:It would be better for Welsh rugby if he went to the ospreys

Too true, then the Ospreys would have an front row unit of James, Baldwin, Francis playing together regularly, ready for when Wales need them.  The Scarlets would have Evans, Owens, Lee doing the same too.  So Wales would have two decent sets of front rows who play regular together to call upon, as opposed to bringing in players from different regions and having to spend time to get them back into the swing of playing together.
SS, James would have very stiff competition from Nicky Smith for the LH position, our good start to the season was very much down to an excellent front row of Smith, Baldwin and Arhip if we could have a James, Parry and Francis to challenge them it augurs very well for the future and then players like Bevington, Jarvis and young hooker Otten progressing nicely, it is a nicely set up front row squad.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 Mar 2015, 3:44 pm

I know that this might be a little off topic, but I am hearing quite a bit of noise comming from Scarlets region that they are about to have quite an injection of cash, to the tune of about 6m, I do not know how much truth is in this, ScarletSpiderman I am looking for you for confirmation, but this could go a long way to getting some decent players in, also it could also tie down a lot of players that might not get a DC.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 25 Mar 2015, 5:41 pm

wayne wrote:
PenfroPete wrote:
wayne wrote:

Pete, most of this speculation came about when an eagle eyed Osprey supporter noted one of a series of Huw Evans Agency photographs of a Welsh Team training session with Steve Tandy seen talking to Francis, it could mean 2+2=4 or some other number, it would be nice to have him, and for my part he would have to force himself past Dmitri Arhip, who has played very well, it could be a good battle.

Arhip was found to be very wanting against the best of Europe. He can just about hold his own in the Pro12, and struggles against what Leinster and the Italians put out. If Francis is as good as they say I reckon he'll take his jersey with ease.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 25 Mar 2015, 9:32 pm

The Saint wrote:
wayne wrote:
PenfroPete wrote:
wayne wrote:

Arhip was found to be very wanting against the best of Europe. He can just about hold his own in the Pro12, and struggles against what Leinster and the Italians put out. If Francis is as good as they say I reckon he'll take his jersey with ease.
As far as Francis is concerned I wouldn't know how good he is, as I've NEVER seen him play a single minute, I'm only going by the fact that obviously Gatland and McBride don't think he is as good as Jarvis or Andrews as he wasn't initially in the call up squad and when he was called up he was not considered good enough for the bench even though he had been basically with the TW group for 2 to 3 weeks, as for your estimation of Arhip, at the beginning of the season up till the Northampton game him and Smith had the upper hand on every game that I watched, it was only when Smith got injured and he was paired with Thomas that he began to suffer, and he is a much better scrummager than Jarvis, who as I've already said is considered better than Francis by the Welsh coaching team, IF and it is a BIG IF Francis joins us it will not be one way traffic for him into our first team, in a year or so you may be right, not now.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 26 Mar 2015, 8:57 am

Wayne, I totally forgot about Jarvis and Smith. Fair play you've got a tidy set of from row forwards down there now. Arhip has turned out to be a really good signing for you too. I am not too sure about how good Francis is, but to be fair if he got called up to train then there must be some potential there. Also if he is not quite up to international standard, he may be a good signing still seeing as the Ospreys are likely to be losing James, and Jarvis for the start of the season, maybe a few weeks in December (if we do that nonsense game again), and for the 6 Nations.

Lord, there is a shareholders meeting (next week?) where they will hold a vote to make an additional 6m shares available as there is a new investor interested. From what I can tell most of the 'fan' season ticket holders will be voting yes (or have already done so via proxy) so it is more or less a done deal.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 26 Mar 2015, 9:00 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Lord, there is a shareholders meeting (next week?) where they will hold a vote to make an additional 6m shares available as there is a new investor interested. From what I can tell most of the 'fan' season ticket holders will be voting yes (or have already done so via proxy) so it is more or less a done deal..

What are they going to spend this extra 6m on SS ? Are they going to use it to clear some debt or are they going to sign/re-sign some players with it ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu 26 Mar 2015, 12:02 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Wayne, I totally forgot about Jarvis and Smith.  Fair play you've got a tidy set of from row forwards down there now.  Arhip has turned out to be a really good signing for you too.  I am not too sure about how good Francis is, but to be fair if he got called up to train then there must be some potential there.  Also if he is not quite up to international standard, he may be a good signing still seeing as the Ospreys are likely to be losing James, and Jarvis for the start of the season, maybe a few weeks in December (if we do that nonsense game again), and for the 6 Nations.

Lord, there is a shareholders meeting (next week?) where they will hold a vote to make an additional 6m shares available as there is a new investor interested.  From what I can tell most of the 'fan' season ticket holders will be voting yes (or have already done so via proxy) so it is more or less a done deal.

Bluddy hell that's great news SS, I haven't heard about that yet. Any idea of what the money will be invested on??

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 26 Mar 2015, 12:19 pm

I've heard it is either going to clear debts, or to fund the academy. But to be honest we don't fully know yet.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu 26 Mar 2015, 1:34 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I've heard it is either going to clear debts, or to fund the academy.  But to be honest we don't fully know yet.

Great, well hopefully it can help clear a big chunk of debt

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 26 Mar 2015, 1:36 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Wayne, I totally forgot about Jarvis and Smith.  Fair play you've got a tidy set of from row forwards down there now.  Arhip has turned out to be a really good signing for you too.  I am not too sure about how good Francis is, but to be fair if he got called up to train then there must be some potential there.  Also if he is not quite up to international standard, he may be a good signing still seeing as the Ospreys are likely to be losing James, and Jarvis for the start of the season, maybe a few weeks in December (if we do that nonsense game again), and for the 6 Nations.

Lord, there is a shareholders meeting (next week?) where they will hold a vote to make an additional 6m shares available as there is a new investor interested.  From what I can tell most of the 'fan' season ticket holders will be voting yes (or have already done so via proxy) so it is more or less a done deal.
SS, this is great news for you, we have had new investment due to the new relaxation of the ties with the WRU, and it looks the same with you, PLEASE use it sensibly, and hopefully the WRU ties to the Dragons will now be relaxed, with the ex CEO now in a position of power in charge at the WRU. The removal of Prickering and the soon to be gone Dodger is having the right effects on the Regions.
Onwards and Upwards I say.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 26 Mar 2015, 1:37 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I've heard it is either going to clear debts, or to fund the academy.  But to be honest we don't fully know yet.

Yes I heard they were going to pay off some long standing loans, directors Huw Evans, Granville Wise, Tim Griffiths and Nigel Short were owed £3.179 million, £1.541 million, £1.003 million and £440,000 respectively. Nednil Ltd has loaned a total of £2.047 million, and Welsh Whisky Co Ltd, a business interest of Mr Short, lent £100,000. There are also outstanding loans to the council (in excess of £2m) and to WRU. But I have also hered that one two those investors are wiping there their debts clean.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:03 am

It's a done deal then, Ospreys sign Delve:-

http://www.pro12rugby.com/news/16964.php

You were late with this one wayne. Wink

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:17 am

LordDowlais wrote:It's a done deal then, Ospreys sign Delve:-

Lord, I'm told by the missus that I'm on here too much, can only get on when she goes out Very Happy , but seriously it could be a good deal for around WC time we will probably be losing 5 back row players, his experience will be invaluable, although I wonder how it will work out when everybody is back, for me I believe we need a replacement 7 urgently and if Francis doesn't come another tighthead.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:20 am

wayne wrote:

Lord, I'm told by the missus that I'm on here too much, can only get on when she goes out Very Happy , but seriously it could be a good deal for around WC time we will probably be losing 5 back row players, his experience will be invaluable, although I wonder how it will work out when everybody is back, for me I believe we need a replacement 7 urgently and if Francis doesn't come another tighthead.

Tut tut tut, looking at iffy websites whilst your wife is out.

Given the RWC it must be a good signing, because theoretically you could be down to Bearman, Delve and kids in the back row.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:27 am

It will be a good battle between him and Baker, and what experience could Delve add to Bakers progression, he could become invaluable.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:29 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
wayne wrote:

Tut tut tut, looking at iffy websites whilst your wife is out.

Given the RWC it must be a good signing, because theoretically you could be down to Bearman, Delve and kids in the back row.
FGS don't let her know I'm on those SS, yes we could be missing Lydiate, Baker, Tipuric, King and Ardron

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:33 am

LordDowlais wrote:It will be a good battle between him and Baker, and what experience could Delve add to Bakers progression, he could become invaluable.
Yes you are correct, but would either be satisfied with the replacement tag, the one good thing is that they are on the opposite sides of the experience scale, unlike the Tipuric and Sam Lewis divide.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:42 am

Wayne, has Dan Baker signed a DC or is he going to be offered one ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:46 am

LordDowlais wrote:Wayne, has Dan Baker signed a DC or is he going to be offered one ?
Not that I know of, I would think Toby is being offered first, but if the Bath lure is too strong Dan could be the next in line in that position.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:54 am

wayne wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Wayne, has Dan Baker signed a DC or is he going to be offered one ?
Not that I know of, I would think Toby is being offered first, but if the Bath lure is too strong Dan could be the next in line in that position.

I was just wondering about potential game time, and with the DC having limited game time perhaps thats why Delve has been signed, but saying that, from what I am hearing, the DC are a lot more flexable than we are being led to believe so perhaps we will be seeing a bit more of our DC players than we first thought anyway.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 27 Mar 2015, 11:32 am

Its a great signing for the Os, his leadership and experience will be in valuable to them. Just touching on the Baker/Delve subject though, it would not surprise me one bit if Delve forced his was into the regular 1st choice No8 role.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 28 Mar 2015, 6:46 am

I think Baker is the player with greater potential, but to be less reliant on Baker is good for us.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 28 Mar 2015, 6:56 am

maestegmafia wrote:I think Baker is the player with greater potential, but to be less reliant on Baker is good for us.

Baker has huge potential and if he can keep Delve out of the side then it will mean he is reaching that potential. I think what he will/can learn from him in terms of leadership will be invaluable to him. I wonder what terms Delve has signed as, whether he has signed knowing Baker will be first choice etc etc.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next